• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Was The WWECW Experiment A Failure?

Did it fail as a ECW remake? - DEFINATE YES!!!

Did it fail as a third brand? - NO

From about 5 episodes in, the no DQ and extreme theme had almost completely failed and died. It was just another brand that was easily worse than Raw and Smackdown.

However, although it didnt have the star power of the other two shows, it did serve as a great show in developing stars and re-establishing stars. I believe it was a great place for CM Punk to start his career in the WWE as more of the original ECW fans probably knew him beforehand so he was welcomed to a pretty decent reaction for a debut and had enough time to actually have a wrestling match for ample time to show his ability.

I also think it helped guys like christian re-establish themselves in a way that raw/smackdown wouldnt have. On the two main shows, a guy would probably not get a title shot where they actually stood a chance of winning, before either having a string of fueds, or challenging the two lower titles, especially with the long fueds including cena, orton triple h, batista etc. at the time. On ECW, there were more genuine competitiors for the title, and more battle royal-type no.1 contender situations which gave people like christian, dreamer, and even chavo guerrero, title reigns and oppurtunities.

It was not a failure in terms of what/who it actually produced or gave a head start in the business to and it was very watchable at times. I don't like the fact it was called ECW because nomatter what anybody says I personally want a Hardcore, intense, edgy and a DIY put together looking show, like Shotgun Saturday Night which I thought is what it would be at first. Looking back on old school ECW it was a company full of so much diversity and had something for everybody.. the WWE's version was nothing like it and I don't have a problem with that but they should have called it something else after time. I don't miss it but I would not hate to see it return just not under the name ECW. The fact it is not around anymore leans towards it not being as successful as it could have but I really do not think it was a failure.

The original ECW had blood, chair-shots to the head, tables, fire, gore, insanity, and above all else edgy. But, it was like that the first few weeks, but after the Benoit tragedy they toned alot of things down and after that it was a show for developmental talent to be on the big stage. Nothing wrong with that as it made Sheamus, Swagger, CM Punk and Mark Henry big stars.

It was a failure in the eyes of the old ECW fans who wanted a drunked overweight Sandman, or a botch-ridden Sabu to be WWE Champion. Add to the fact that the original ECW was never truly a success in itself. It wasn't as big as WWE and WCW were, and didn't really do anything significant. Sure, it made Hardcore wrestling popular, but where's hardcore wrestling now? CZW? TNA?

It's a failure to people who thought they'd see a bunch of drunk non athletes throwing each other through flaming tables.

To anyone with a brain who knew that wouldn't draw or be a good business idea, no. It was HUGE in creating new stars and reinventing old ones. It served it's purpose.

i think to be honest wwe lost patience with ecw which was a shame and i think it was down to the writing at the time which was rather forced and impatient could it/should it survived as the 3rd show - yes was it going to be old skool ecw - no. thgey should have played it better written better and built an invasion angle. But they didnt so we will never know - big mistake

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back