• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TNA Hardcore Championship?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
It's been reported on a few sites that TNA may ultimately change the TNA Legends Championship into a "hardcore" title. This isn't something that's confirmed and I'm ultimately not certain if it's legit. However, it is something that's interesting to talk about.

Since its creation, the TNA Legends Championship has gotten something of a luke warm reception. Everything from how the title was created, how it was pushed ahead of the X Division Championship and who should be eligible to have it have been debated back and forth. From what I've read regarding opinions on the title, I think that there's clear indicators that a large portion of TNA fans would like to see the title gone. Personally, I don't really think anyone cares all that much about the title at this point.

A "hardcore" championship would be yet another wrestling concept that screams "the 90s". On one hand, a hardcore division would give TNA something that would truly set it apart from the WWE. As the WWE currently doesn't do bloodshed in matches if it can be avoided, this would be something that TNA could potentially use to attract fans that do miss seeing "hardcore" wrestling on a nationally broadcast wrestling program. However, yes there's always a however, wrestling isn't the same as it was when a hardcore championship was deemed fashionable in the big leagues. Since the Benoit tragedy, the safety and general welfare of pro wrestlers has been much more heavily scrutinized in the media than in years past. And, of course, the WWE is the company that has been on the recieving end of nearly all that scrutiny. Several weeks ago, Rob Terry took a hard, unprotected chairshot to the head that cut him open and was something that wrestling insiders pretty much panned as a ridiculous stunt. Some were outraged by it as the WWE and ROH have both banned chairshots to the head. Another potential setback is that TNA often has so many different gimmick matches anyhow, most of which are no DQ, that the idea of a specific title geared towards gimmicks now just seems kind of redundant.

Thoughs???

I hope not. For the few people whose bubble hasn't been burst yet, the X Title means dick. Guys like Terry have no credibility at the moment and need a title like the Global belt to get over with the crowd. Shifting this to a hardcore title would just make the whole thing an even bigger joke with nothing for midcarders to shoot for. This is a bad idea and screams nothing more than "look at us! We're not WWE even though we're doing something they popularized 11 years ago!" bad idea on all levels.

I like the idea simply because there was no point in either the Legends title or the Global championships.

In my mind it could also hype up the coming of the so called "extreme" faction rumored to possibly happen in TNA. With the introduction to a hardcore championship you could once again make Rhyno and Raven relevant... as well as give Abyss a championship to where its not overrating him.

But the one thing is they need to worry about incorporating the X division title more into Impact before worrying about a hardcore title. That division has completely rolled over and died in front of us.

I like the idea they could change the name to "Hardcore"...only because I am nostalgic.

Truth is, with a name like "Legends" it really was an awful idea to christen it that. There is nothing legendary about the title, and the only person I recall who held it that could be considered a legend was Booker T.

TNA wants to be 2nd WWF Attitude Era. It pretty much speaks volumes now. I say let 'em. Maybe they will give us a new and interesting twist on what they consider "hardcore" compared to what we see on the regular in TNA. If that means renaming a belt most people really don't care about, then more power to them. Maybe it will put more asses in seats.

Not a chance in hell if I'm booking. The Global Title is the most meaningless singles strap in their company right now – I'd actually say the Knockouts title means more than it, and that's pathetic.

Changing it to the "hardcore" title won't change the fact that the tile was born from bullshit to begin with, so being born from more bullshit won't help.

lets be honest, they might aswell...they cant keep the legends/global title forever, the legends have more or less held it, nash, booker, foley, it kinda died after that...

a hardcore title would fit in well, i hope they don't phase out the x division...and seriously, take out the knockout tag titles...not many knockouts left..

I think a hardcore championship title would be good for TNA. They already have matches that revolve around hard core. WWE doesn't have hardcore matches any longer, and I have to say 90% of the time hardcore matches are fun to watch, and the blood is already on every show just about so make it worth something... make all the violence worth a GOLD STRAP.

I like the Hardcore idea, but changing the belt would be a bad idea.

Global Championship could be equivalent to the IC title or US title if it was used properly, but it isnt at the moment.

I remember back in the older days of TNA, Sabu was going to the win the X-Division title, I cant remember what happened now and who the champ was at the time, but he was going to.

X- Division isnt a weight limit but more of a mind set of unusual things. I think if they were to bring in a hardcore title, id have someone come in and win the X-Division title thus making it a type of hardcore title, but in the same breath it takes away from what the X-Division SHOULD be in the high flyers, So really you cant win.

And TNA does NOT need another title to be brought in right now

I dont know, i never liked the Hardcore Title. It was fun during the 24/7 days but to me it never seemed to hold any merit. People who held the title didnt really rise up in the company afterwards, it wasnt really a stepping stone. I know there are some people who are succesful now that had the title but im pretty sure it wasnt because of having that title.

So IMO the hardcore title never really helped any wrestlers get over and the only time it was entertaining was during the 24/7 days so i really dont see the point.

I dont like the Global Championship though simply because the name is boring and like everyone has said, it doesnt provide a distinction between it and the World title, even Bischoff doesnt understand it. Also i dont really like it because i see the X Division Title as the midcard title even though im full aware that thats not what it is.

I know its supposed to be TNA's Lightweight/Cruiserweight title but those titles had a distinction from the midcard because you had to be a certain weight class to compete in it, anyone remember when Mick Foley made Christian work out like crazy the whole show so he could lose a pound and wrestle for it?

But if Samoa Joe can get the X Division title then obviously it has no weight class. I know its supposed to be for people in the X Division but whats to say who is in the XD and whose not?

If they really want to have a midcard for people who arent yet ready for the main event but dont fit in the XD then they need to change the name of the title for one thing, someone that shows that its lower then the World Title. Also they need to highlight the XD more so that a noticeable difference can be made. Also Samoa Joe shouldnt be in the XD anymore. Not saying he is but lately hes been attacking XD guys so that seems to be my concensus.

Sorry that i went off topic a little but i thought that there needs to be some work done in the XD for the Global Title to have more merit.

I actualy do not mind the idea, but i can care less. Lately Orlando Jordan has been chasing it and thats bull. I think they can do something like give raven the title (global) and then have him set it on fire and trash it, unveiling the hardocore title...

I actualy do not mind the idea, but i can care less. Lately Orlando Jordan has been chasing it and thats bull. I think they can do something like give raven the title (global) and then have him set it on fire and trash it, unveiling the hardocore title...

Is Raven still in TNA? Its so hard to tell if people are or not anymore but thats a different topic so ill stop talking about that now.

If they were going to bring in the Hardcore that would be a good way to do it IMO and Raven would be the perfect person to bring it in. But on that note, how many wrestlers does TNA have that would make sense chasing a hardcore title? Isnt it usally suited for a certain type of wrestler, usually a hardcore wrestler?

I think it would be a great idea that would bring some old ECW fans. Just as long as you have blood (but not too much) and volience. However if Orlando Jordon gets his hands on the title and changes it to the TNA Hardcore Championship then i will say "Oh Hell NO i am changing the channel". What they need to do is just get rid of the record books that whoever had that title before and just wipe the slate clean. Start new and have like Raven or Rhyno win that title so they can finally get some air time.

Hmmm... I don't know if a Hardcore Title would work in TNA. It's been done before by the WWE and it was retired for a reason. I could only see it working if TNA does something different with it. And by different, I don't mean WCW's idea of a Hardcore Title... I think it would be OK, though, if every match was NOT a useless spotfest or bloodbath. Ideally, I would say TNA put an emphasis on Mick Foley's definition of "hardcore" (strong work ethic) and a falls count anywhere aspect as opposed to dozens of weapons shots and blood, which are standard in Hardcore titles.

For the record, to those who say that the TNA Hardcore title would be a joke because it came from nothing, so too did the WWF Hardcore title. Hell, it was originally MEANT to be a joke. So, there you go.

Nope...this isn't good at all. I like that the Global title gives mid-carders a title to go for. If it's changed to a hardcore title it will probably be only for ex-ECW superstars because tna is trying to get more ex-ecw people

But, don't get a "new" belt.

Have Raven wear the one he soaked in whiskey and gasoline, then lit on fire. The rediculous purple one they gave Booker T. Have him look at people like they are stupid any time they question why it's raggedy. I don't like it, I love it.

Too many indiscriminant belts anyway.

There needs to be a few belts

1) The heavyweight belt.
2) The tag team belts
3) X division belt
4) Woman's belt
5) Mid card belt

I put them in the order that I think matter the most as far as TNA goes

That leaves a belt, I think the legends belt that could be used to differentiate from wwe and their pg ness. A hardcore belt would do that. Give it to a nasty awful heel. Then have him go after the woman's tag belt holders. And use those two stupid belts as friggin suspenders.

But there's no "co-ed" wrestling in TNA, so they'd have to attack him.

TNA has booked so much unwatchable shit since Hogan and Bischoff came into town I wouldn't care what they do with the Global Title. It wouldn't make things any more or less interesting anyway. They have nothing for the mid card guys to do with this title, so if it was changed to a Hardcore title, how would that give people more to do?

I don't want to watch people get hit with aluminum trash cans, and cookie sheets. I've seen that shit a thousand times, and it's not believable. TNA needs to focus on wrestling, like they did before Hogan and Bischoff came in and changed everything. June-January TNA was on fire. After Genesis, it went to the shitter.

I don't care what they do with this meaningless title.

Is Raven still in TNA? Its so hard to tell if people are or not anymore but thats a different topic so ill stop talking about that now.

If they were going to bring in the Hardcore that would be a good way to do it IMO and Raven would be the perfect person to bring it in. But on that note, how many wrestlers does TNA have that would make sense chasing a hardcore title? Isnt it usally suited for a certain type of wrestler, usually a hardcore wrestler?

Raven, Foley (if he returns) and The Dudleys... Rhino, Tomko and Jesse Neal would be a better fit in the Global title picture, Abyss is in the world title chase and i don't think it would change soon. i think TNA should bring back RelliK and Judas Mesias (now that TNA realigned with AAA), add the Necro Butcher and some Juggallo guys to the mix and maybe Sabu or Masato Tanaka

Starting a hardcore title division sounds like a good idea, but I'm just worried about what TNA's conception of "hardcore" will be with Hogan calling the shots. Does Hogan know that there is more to "hardcore" than people hitting eachother with cheap, thin trash cans? At any rate, they've certainly got the talent to pull something like that off. The obvious choices to use for it might be Raven, Stevie Richards, Abyss, Jeff Hardy, Rhino, etc. but I think others like Shannon Moore, Brian Kendrick, and Samoa Joe could also pull it off.

umm, why does the title name need to change, again?!? and why does it have to be an ex-WWE concept. TNA, be unique for once. Oh wait, they came up with a great concept, a title that can only be held by a foreigner!! and they haven't stuck to that rule. Why bother changing the name when you can just call it defunct? :confused:

Is not the "Hardcore Title" a WWE created title? the name anyway.

for all intensive purposes the X-Division title is a Hardcore/Cruiserweight title already they just don't use weapons.

Yeah we are gonna be totally different by constantly referencing WWE on the mic, on skits, on names/storylines

Pretty mucy saying we are inferior.
Does anybody remember what started the final decent of WCW?
"hey atm WWF is having Mick Foley win there world championship"
[Flick] bye bye WCW

as for the idea of the global title/legends title. Good ideas, poor execution
Pfft they were dead the moment they created them.

When will they get it through there thick skuls, they don't need to compete just exist and advertise people will watch both.
When's the last time WWE referenced the existence of TNA in any way?

Seems reather pointless to me. Does the Global Title even exist anymore? Apparently it does, but a lot of people wouldn't no that. TNA just has too much for one show. Too many wrestlers. Too many titles. Too many stupid decisions.

They're fine with the World Title, Tag Titles, X Division Title, and Knockout's Title. Just because you give someone a belt, it mean they get credibilty. The Hardcore Title was always pretty pointless anyway, wasn't it. No need for this at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back