Theme Music that should have NEVER changed...

Louie Lips

Occasional Pre-Show
So I was thinking the other day of some of the old theme songs for wrestlers that I think should have never changed, or are better than what they have now. Here are just a few:

John Cena's "Word Life" Theme
I understand why the WWE changed his music, as I guess they moved him away from his old thug character and made him more of a person, but I think his old music was just a lot better than his current music. Plus, this music had the raps that Cena "made" afterwards which were great.

Rey Mysterio's "Who's that jumpin' out the sky?" Theme
This music was awesome in my mind. You heard those train track noises and saw the flashes of masks on the screen and then you hear "Who's that jumpin' out the sky? R-E-Y MYSTERIO, hear we go!" as Mysterio pops out of the stage. It fit his character a lot better, and is way better than his stupid "booyaka" shit.

Smackdown's "The Beautiful People" Theme
This song was just a lot more memorable than Smackdown's current theme, and fit the show a lot better. Albeit, it may not fit the current PG rating, but I liked it.

Raw's "Across the Nation" Theme
This was the theme when I first started watching wrestling, and this song was stuck in my head all the time. It was so much cooler than the current song, and had a much better video to go with it. The lyrics don't fit the current PG rating either though.
Now get the guns, the drugs, from my generation.
I'll take the fall, the saints, across the nation.
Yeah, it's the sex, the gods, the freaks, the frauds,
They're messin' with me!

Honorable Mentions: Randy Orton's "Burn in My Light" Theme (although Voices is good too).

Shawm Michaels shouldn't change his music now. He's not sexy and it doesn't fit him now. But it wouldn't be the same if he came out to something different.

Like two you stated above, I don't know why Cena & Rey had new music. I suppose Cena's was because he was having a slight character change and because he was getting a main event push. But both original songs were better.

Triple H: I LOVE his "My Time" theme. It was one of my favorite themes in the attitude era and although his Motorhead themes aren't bad, this was his best.

Christian: "Christian! CHRISTIAN!! AT LAST, YOU'RE ON YOUR OOOOWWWN!!!" I used to fucking love that theme. It was epic and the twin showers of pyro that went with it really made it larger than life.

Smackdown: I agree, "The Beautiful People" was a great theme and the best one Smackdown's ever had. The themes since then haven't been great and the current theme is terrible.

Raw: "To Be Loved" is alright, but whatever the theme before that was called was way better. The one they used from 2002 to 2007.

Mr. Kennedy: He, Orton, and Hardy all changed themes around the same time and Kennedy's is the only one that hasn't grown on me. I don't know why, it's just not a great theme to me. His old one was much better.

Finlay: I cannot stand the theme he has now. It's too childish, too happy-go-lucky. I know he's supposed to be more kid-friendly now, but christ, can we have at least have a theme that doesn't sound like a bad Lucky Charms commericial?

John Cena: His current theme isn't necessarily bad, but his old one was awesome. Plus his current theme reminds me of the last days of his coolness. I marked when "Basic Thuganomics" hit at 'Mania, but then when "My Time is Now" I was like "*sigh* maaan...."

Kane: The theme he had from 2003 to last year was badass. I don't know the name of it, but it was the best theme he's ever had.

So I was thinking the other day of some of the old theme songs for wrestlers that I think should have never changed, or are better than what they have now. Here are just a few:

John Cena's "Word Life" Theme
I understand why the WWE changed his music, as I guess they moved him away from his old thug character and made him more of a person, but I think his old music was just a lot better than his current music. Plus, this music had the raps that Cena "made" afterwards which were great.

Rey Mysterio's "Who's that jumpin' out the sky?" Theme
This music was awesome in my mind. You heard those train track noises and saw the flashes of masks on the screen and then you hear "Who's that jumpin' out the sky? R-E-Y MYSTERIO, hear we go!" as Mysterio pops out of the stage. It fit his character a lot better, and is way better than his stupid "booyaka" shit.

Smackdown's "The Beautiful People" Theme
This song was just a lot more memorable than Smackdown's current theme, and fit the show a lot better. Albeit, it may not fit the current PG rating, but I liked it.

Raw's "Across the Nation" Theme
This was the theme when I first started watching wrestling, and this song was stuck in my head all the time. It was so much cooler than the current song, and had a much better video to go with it. The lyrics don't fit the current PG rating either though.
Now get the guns, the drugs, from my generation.
I'll take the fall, the saints, across the nation.
Yeah, it's the sex, the gods, the freaks, the frauds,
They're messin' with me!

Honorable Mentions: Randy Orton's "Burn in My Light" Theme (although Voices is good too).

Agreed for the most part. Orton's music is ok, not a big issue..

I dont see across the nation lasting especially with the PG ratings..Apparantly sex and drugs is not PG, go figure

But some changes are good: Jeff Hardy's song rocks! Matt Hardy's song sucks..just my two cents...

Kane definitely should have never changed his themesong..it just sounds weird now..

LOL @ Shawn Michaels, good one Y2Jake

#1) THE UNDERTAKER!! Really Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit? Matter of fact.

#2) Current RAW theme. Papa Roach? Sure....if it was before they sold out and went poppy. "To be Loved?" for a wrestling show? PASS.

Raw: "To Be Loved" is alright, but whatever the theme before that was called was way better. The one they used from 2002 to 2007.

Kane: The theme he had from 2003 to last year was badass. I don't know the name of it, but it was the best theme he's ever had.

Raw - 'Across the Nation' - Union Underground
Kane - 'Slow Chemical' - Finger Eleven

I would add the following:
Big Show - the newer version lacks the electricity or the power of "WEEEEELLLLLLLL...well it's the Big Show"

Rey Mysterio: The build up for the current one just doesn't work, feel likes forever for the song to get into it

Smackdown: I got with Beautiful People or Rise Up. I didn't mind the 2003 version, but these two stand out as the best themes - BP more

Austin: Seriously, after 'Glass Shatters' by Disturbed, why go back?

Hogan: Purely Voodoo Child at WMXIX, it should have been Real American to fit with the rivalry with Vince

If Theres One theme I'd like them to bring back it has to be "Thorn In Your Eye". That theme was so iconic and once u heard it you were just pumped and Ready for Raw is War.

Oh and Kennedys Theme before the one he has now.

That is all, Peace!

Good post. I was just thinking about the old Raw theme song the other day "Across the Nation" and how much better it was than the current one.

I'm surprised to see no one's picked my number one pick, though: Edge's old "Rob Zombie" song. That rocked out, though I suppose his new one fits his image a little better since he isn't all goth or dark anymore.

I hate Randy Orton's entrance music if only because it doesn't really make any sense for him, and there's nothing cool about schizophrenia. His old stuff was better.

And I liked the original "Priceless" song ("Priceless and gravy")

Chavo should've stuck with the old LWO music, too IMO.

And of course, Victoria's TATU music was hot.

Kane. His new theme is just boring. It's like they're trying to make Kane more like Taker, when he should really start moving away from his brother a bit more. Slow Chemical is one of my favourite songs, and it matched Kane perfectly. It went with the pyro and it had that feeling of Kane. Biggest mistake was to change it. The other one is Jeff... I really hate his new theme. His other one wasn't incredible but way better than the current. Everytime I hear him come out I briefly think he switched it back to the old one, but then suddenly it becomes crap.

I love both of Orton's songs, so that doesn't matter to me.

Kane should have kept his debut song, because he should always have been the same type of dark character, even when the masked was eliminated.

Finlay's last theme actually made you respect him as a wrestler, now you're waiting for him to come out with a baloon hat and dance around with a midget. If you want him to do something for the kids, alright. If he's wrestling you something that makes you look like less of a joke.

I hate Mysterio's song, too. Same deal, at some point we have to take you seriously as a wrestler, and doesn't work here.

I really liked Jeff Hardy's old theme, but I understand the move to differantiate him from the tag and singles departments.

JEFF HARDY- he never should of changed his theme it just doesnt fit him at all
KANE- his theme right before his new was badass his new one doesnt fit him at all either
BATISTA-his first theme was the best it went perfectly with him and it made him sound really powerful beastly his new one is so bland and boring and doesnt fit him
JOHN CENA-his new doesnt bother me too much
RANDY ORTON-i've gotten used to his new theme but it sounds weird at time it makes him look more like kane or something his theme song sounds way to evil and doesnt sound right i loved burn in my light!!!

Those are the main themes that should of never changed, they went with there charachters so well.

390393.gif

I completely disagree about the raw song. It is very catchy. The one from before 2006.... wasn't.

Raw and Smackdown both have GREAT theme songs, very catchy that you can hum along to so easily.

I do agree with the previous post on priceless though. Priceless did NOT need the remix. The first one was very cool, the remix is just generic and boring. Orton's voices song took a few weeks to grow on me but now I like it a lot. I can't really think of anyone off the top of my head other than Priceless who has a song that didn't need changing.

I had to go through the roster on wwe.com in order to see if I missed anyone and I did come up with two who I had forgotten other than Priceless who did not really need their music changed. Khali and Helms. It is the same argument for the two of them that I had for Priceless where the previous song was much cooler than the current one which just does not seem to fit the superstar(s) that well.

_

I think Shelton Benjamin's newer theme is stupid, it's a remix of the older one. The old one just sounded better though. Jeff Hardy should't have changed his, and I liked Randy Orton's before too. John Cena's was better a few years ago, I don't like the one he has now much at all. And Kane's is just boring, but apparantly WWE lost the rights to his older one...

Christian's old theme- His new theme is way too fast, his old music fit his character very well. Christian is more of a methodical guy. His new entrance song would fit a high-flyer better.

I'm not gonna lie. I actually really like Christian's theme right now. And the reason I like it now is because it's being sung by guys. When he used this SAME song in WWE before, it was sung by girls. I kind of liked it back then based on the lyrics but the fact that it was girls singing a MALE wrestler's theme kind of pissed me off. I think the Opera song he had fit THAT Christian, but this rocky version of "Close your Eyes" or whatever the title is seems to hold up with the new image of Captain Charisma (the nickname I could live without too).

Burn In My Light was awesome for Orton. I've liked Orton ever since he joined up with Evolution. I was not a fan early on for many reasons be it the lame theme song, the Overdrive as his finisher, or the lack in a marketable character. Once he hooked up with Evolution and then broke off with the WHC, I was psyched and Burn in my light got me psyched all the time. Granted, I have no problem with Voices, I mean, I even skip to it when I'm on the Smackdown Vs. Raw 2009 menu. Just preferred Burn in my light.

Khali's theme shouldn't have changed cause it just does not sound like the type of theme song that a man his size should enter to.

I too disagree about the Raw Theme, The one back in 2006 was all right but the one now gives me chills every time I hear it...It just fits this Era's RAW

Kane-Should have stick with debut theme
Jeff Hardy-The old Hardy was imo one of the best theme around....never should have changed.
Big Show-New theme sucks big time.

Good post. I was just thinking about the old Raw theme song the other day "Across the Nation" and how much better it was than the current one.

I'm surprised to see no one's picked my number one pick, though: Edge's old "Rob Zombie" song. That rocked out, though I suppose his new one fits his image a little better since he isn't all goth or dark anymore.

I hate Randy Orton's entrance music if only because it doesn't really make any sense for him, and there's nothing cool about schizophrenia. His old stuff was better.

And I liked the original "Priceless" song ("Priceless and gravy")

Chavo should've stuck with the old LWO music, too IMO.

And of course, Victoria's TATU music was hot.

I agree with Edge's music! I liked it so much better, but it doesn't fit his character now. Also, Victoria's completely was left out, but it was mad good when she had the TATU music!

Although its not as good Triple H should have returned to "King of Kings" as it made sense in his progression. I think he may transition into it when he goes heel.

My favourie Taker song was the Ministry one. It doesnt fit his character now but I would love to see one last ministry run, beard and all! You know u do to.

All of Christians rule. Opera ones prob the best but it doesnt fit anymore.

Shawn is an old man, but its his song and it shouldnt be changed.

The only songs that really bother me are:

Kennedys new one. Just plain sucks!
Austins old one. Disturbed were so much better!
Priceless: Remix sucks also.
Jericho: Check out "King of my World" or "Dont you wish u were Me" now thats a song for an egomanic and it just plain rocks!

1. The Rock - His music was great during the attitude era, and then they changed the whole concept of it. It took away from his character in my opinion, and was never as effective at getting a crowd pop.

2. Chris Jericho - His current music isn't bad. I just liked it better, from before he left. The intro was great, and the music worked better for him, and he would never have to change it, whether he's a face or a heel.

3. Kane - Seriously...:wtf:

4. Randy Orton - I don't like Voices. It makes him sound like he should be wearing a straight-jacket, and taking large amounts of meds. It doesn't make him sound badass at all.

umaga i always think of his old song

priceless was an awsome song but wtf

rey mysterio what happened to it i remember 3 songs he as had 619, booyaka, whatcha gonna do when we come for you

kane omg he is know just acting like a :ass:

cena basic thuganomics

undertaker limp bizkit rollin

khil he sucks know

Well the list for this is really too long to even debate because everything has to go through change sooner or later with the exception of just songs that are classic and fit better than anything ever. These are along the lines of Hogan, HBK, Bret Hart, nWo, etc... But those are only because none of those guys ever went through character changes where their music didn't fit it. Hogan worked the nWo in such an amazing fashion. The man could do anything with anything.

Everyone is saying Cena's old music was better than his new(er) current theme? Wrooooong. It's a decent song where there's a fast cresendo to when Cena busts out of the entrance. There's no better amping up for the crowd and Cena himself than the theme he has now. I don't like Cena, but his entrances are always full of energy. It's better than the old Word Life wigger music.

In another year or two, people are barely going to remember Kennedy's previous theme, Jeff Hardy's previous theme, Orton's previous theme...and if they do remember, they won't care enough to complain about it. Plus if they go through a character change, the music should change too. If Randy Orton turned to a major babyface playing by the rules and talking about how much he wants to be a role model for all the WWE fans under 14, his theme is certainly not going to have anything about "...blood dryin..." in it.

The Undertaker's previous Limp Bizkit/Kid Rock themes have been awful, but that's only because they gave him garbage character chances. You can't have the gongs hit with cemetery music while he rides down to the ring on a chopper. But this is about music changing... not character changing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back