The XFL

jamesjd66

Registered Abuser
From Wikipedia:

The XFL was a professional American football league that played for one season in 2001. The league was founded by Vince McMahon, better known as the owner of World Wrestling Entertainment. The XFL was intended to be a major professional sports league complement to the offseason of the NFL, but failed to find an audience and folded after its first season.

I found this great vid on youtube... Pretty funny video of Vince McMahon after the XFL debacle that cost him upwards of $35,000,000..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0CcycaiEDrs

The XFL was the worst idea Vince ever had in his life. I new from the beginning that it would never be successful, and that it would fall to the ground fast.

Yeah I honestly cant see what Vince saw creating the XFL and thinking it would succeed. while wrestling is pretty popular around the world if you arent a fan its really just a big joke to you and theres no way you'd ever consider watching an XFL game and this is assuming every wrestling fan that tunes in to your program would watch this when some of them arent football fans and others would just say meh and change the channel is just a recipe for disaster when it comes to ratings, and even the thought that a football league started by the WWE would actually bring in big ratings was possibly one of the worst ideas EVER.

IDK, I'm gonna kind of defend the XFL here, I think Vince had a decent ideas, he just didn't go about executing them right, the one big thing he should have never had the XFL and WWE connected, by that I mean he shouldn't have had SCSA, and Rock, etc. talking on the trons before the games, the cheerleader making appearences on WWE programming, and other shit of that nature, when you do shit like that you gotta know nobody is gonna take it seriously, but he did have some good ideas, such as players getting payed more for winning, and all the different cameras he brought in, some of which are now being used in the NFL, so Vince did have some decent idea, but like I said he just couldn't execute them right, I think if he would have put more time and thought into what he was doing before he debuted his league, things could've been different, possibly better, but unfortunately for Vince the league was crap for the most part, as a guy I used to work with once said "the XFL- High School football at it's very best"

I will give Vince credit in that he thought he had a good idea and went for it, good thing for him he's a billionaire, so it's not like the $30 million or whatever it was, was a huge hit to his checkbook, LOL

the xfl was alright, nothing special. When the first games started i was really excited by the action and everything, i guess it was the hype that got me. Then as the season carried on i found it rather boring, and seeing almost no fans in the stands didnt help much either for the excitement factor. The real thing i liked about the xfl was the "coin toss" or whatever they called it where the two people went for the ball to see who got the kickoff. Sure it was risky to injury and everything, but it was exciting as hell

Someone told me that the reason the X.F.L. folded was because it wasn't tried out on crowd off camera. The N.F.L. had been around for years before becoming a mainstream media event. Therefore, they knew the public wanted the N.F.L.

But what McMahon did was took something that was already popular, & tried to "spice" it up, when it never needed spicing. He made it seem like some "futuristic" version of the movie Rollerball. (to me, anyways)

He had the best of intentions on trying to make it work during the off-season for Professional Football, but I think where McMahon f'ed up is.. he never wanted to put as much time & effort into making this work, & risking screwing up his wrestling promotion.. thus, he half assed the football project, much like Ted Turner did W.C.W. & the end result was the same. Failure.

The XFL, in theory at least, was a good idea. Having games after the Super Bowl ended, the extra pay for winning, the run off at the beginning of the games. The XFL failed 10 seconds into its initial broadcast when the first thing you saw was the Rock, who was in no way associated with the League. This right off the bat made people think that this was going to be WWE part 2, which was a huge problem for the people that were tuning in for football. Once the ratings fell apart, Vince went back to what he knew best, which was all hype and no substance. I always thought the final nail was week four when the big hype wasnt the game, but a live camera in the cheerleader's lockeroom at halftime, which turned out to be a badly done dream sequence. Conclusion- good idea that might've worked with a better owner.

Everyone loves to shit al over this becuase Vince did it, and the regular media seem to enjoy seeing him fail at things.

But truly, was this really any worse than every other football league not called the NFL? I dont think so at all. One of the most entertaining football games ive ever seen in my life and times was an XFL game. I liked the jerseys, and the alternate stadium sites they used.

Yea, it bled money, but was it really any different from the canadian league, NFL europe, or Arena Football? No, not really. I think with expansion and support from other investors, it couldve thrived, especially since it occured during the off season. I liked a ton of things about it.

Share your thoughts on the XFL, what you liked about it, and how badly the media overdramatized its failure.

Well considering it started on my birthday, I've always had a soft spot for it. I stil have a Las Vegas Outlaws license plate on my wall.

I'd agree it wasn't bad. The football itself was definitely good enough to be seen as a legitimate minor league, sort of like the CFL or NFL Europe. THe problem that most people including myself had with it was Vince tried to turn it into WWE with shoulder pads. When Rock showed up 11 seconds into the first broadcast, they were never going to be taken seriously. It was good football with some unique rules that were actually interesting, suck as the no fair catches and the scramble for the ball at the beginning of the game. Had anyone but Vince started it, the XFL could have gone for a few years if not more than a few. The ball was good, but the presentation wasn't.

Seeing KB's sexy self in this thread reminds of another reason why this thing couldve worked.

Smaller, yet still football feverish markets. Places such as Kentucky, Nebraska, places like that, who have infinite love for football, that have no Pro teams. I truly belive they couldve expanded and had a canadian team as well, as I have it on good canadian authority that The Toronto Argonaughts (CFL) do pretty well for themselves.

I think if they wouldve move the season a little further into the spring, say start it the week after the NFL Draft (when football fever is newly rekindled, yet, there is no medicine) they couldve picked up numbers. I, as many people I know, fucking LOVED the scramble for the ball, the no fair catch rule, and the way the League did its Overtime (just like D1 college football)

I thought the XFL was pretty good, but the thing is is that Vince was the one who started it & once it got off the ground then it started becoming the football version of the WWE(it's sort of debatable whether or not the damn games could have been scrited as well).

I remember doing a research paper on football a while back for one of my college courses & I picked the XFL. The XFL brought the now famous sky cam that's being used for all NFL games worldwide, but the difference in that was that the XFL used it in basic standard definition while the NFL currently uses it in high def.

I guess if someone else had founded it then I believe that the XFL could have survived for about 5-6 years instead of an entire season.

i know i was really young when it started, but i know i watched every game i could. i always loved football and as a kid, i didnt give a fuck about the presentation or any of that shit. i was far more interested in the game, which wasn't too bad in my opinion.

I thought it was ok. I mean, after all the other leagues, how many good players were left? The concept was good, but idk what the problem was. Weren't they allowed to have whatever names on their jerseys they wanted? I also know that it revived and created careers for guys like Tommy Maddox. Does anybody know how many other guys ended up in the NFL because of this? Are there any guys left?

Ok.

Here's the deal. From the get go...it rocked the town. They had a freaking sprint for the ball...how awesome is that? Very awesome. Me and a few buddies were eating pizza and watching this insanity as it debuted...and we were hooked at the beginning.

Then wrestlers were doing promos...

And J.R. and The King in the announcer's booth...for FOOTBALL.

The play in week one was horrendous. I don't really remember much about the games except that they took FOREVER. And it was just really boring to watch. I couldn't watch it. It was painful. The poll at the end of this video pretty much sums up my opinion of the XFL.

[youtube]tPcUAhpjVPA[/youtube]

In conclusion, was it any good? I have no idea. They couldn't keep me interested long enough to make a truly educated opinion.

I think that it was a good thing that it was created and I'm not a Football fan but i think it was a good Idea to try it.

Now speaking as a non-football fan here are some of my thoughts on the XFL:

There is a couple of problems however, We all know how the media looks down on Professional Wrestling, so obviously having a wrestling promoter try running a league of Football didn't help matters. I think had the Owner been someone else it would have maybe gotten a longer run.

Another problem that I saw is how Wrestlers would make appearances at XFL shows. I feel like they should have kept the XFL players and the wrestlers in their respective places. Wrestles in the Ring and XFL players on the field. Why? you ask well because if they really wanted to try and make the league successful it doesn't help with wrestlers being involved in it because then people start saying things like oh The XFL is scripted just like Pro-Wrestling and other stuff. It would be OK if the wrestlers are seated in the crowd and they get a camera shot and nothing else.

Overall I think that the XFL could have been successful, but there were still a couple of things that needed to be fixed.

I think the X.F.L was all about the way it was given to you. It was rushed, it was sloppy and that's why it failed. Plain and simple. I've had this conversation with several people in the past, and the basis of what I've come to is this..

Original American Football, the A.F.L/N.F.L wasn't broadcast on television to start with. It was tried out in front of live audiences and tested several times, in multiple markets to see whether or not it'd be a big hit or a bust. It naturally grew on fans, and obviously as we all know became a huge money making sport.

On the flip side to this coin, Vince McMahon (like he always does) seen something that made a lot of money.. and wanted to make money off it, by making his own version only - with his special way of touching it. So instead of testing it out by running a year or two, silently without major television exposure (minus ESPN/local news stations picking up small reports on attendance) McMahon decided the old philosophy of "Anything you can do, I can do better". And he ran with his brand of Football - believing it'd survive and make it, on the pure assumption that it'd take part during the Off-Season of regular N.F.L Football, right around the time people would be left wanting more.

The X.F.L didn't fail because of anything more than the pure fact it wasn't test-ran on audiences, first. And McMahon could've saved a lot of money by doing what in the back of his head, he knew he should've done to begin with. (Think about it, W.W.F ran house shows long before televised shows, to make sure people loved it.)

As for the alternative nature of the Sport, it was everything it said it'd be.. Extreme. It wasn't the N.F.L, but McMahon wanted you to think it was so close to it, that sooner or later he'd attempt an overthrowing of the N.F.L. (which I firmly think in his own crazy, warped mind, he wanted to attempt years down the road if this worked.)

The X.F.L wasn't "Professional" to the terms of the players are the most elite. The sights, sounds and all around "atmosphere" isn't the same as the N.F.L, and wasn't suppose to be, but in a ways WAS meant to be. Because it was created, in the original mind-set that you'd tune in to get your Football fix by watching something very similar, yet more edgier, slightly more extreme and rough.. after the N.F.L season concluded.

So.. my final thoughts on the X.F.L.. it was Wrestling based and never had the opportunity to survive, because McMahon knows Wrestling.. not Football. He had Wrestling announcer's commentating, in which only Jim Ross truly had Football commentating experience. Fuck, is Lawler even a Football fan? I've only ever seen him go on about the Indians. (baseball) He had pyro and a huge entrance set-up for them to enter, a lot flashier than that of what normal N.F.L players entered to (off camera, most the time, mind you.)

So no, the X.F.L got bashed because it deserved to be bashed. I liked the logos, I liked some of the looks. I liked the concept. But it was rushed, hurried and overall shoved down our throats before we could even attempt "sampling" or "tasting" it to see if we'd like to try a full-course of it.

But truly, was this really any worse than every other football league not called the NFL? -Mighty NorCal.

Seriously? Are you kidding me? I've watched high shool football games more exciting than any game in the XFL. Where I am from Football is all season. High school football is big time around, here as well as college, and ofcourse NFL. When your hometown team has the most Super Bowl wins it is kind of hard to ignore football.

The XFL was a joke, and the amount of time along with the money that the WWE spent was a joke. They could have spent way less, and revived WCW in "Vince's" eyes. In fact that would have been much cheapier by far to do. It would have been more plausible than the current brand split that we have had to put up with for the last 9 years or so. Especially when they kept Flair around, who would have been better suited to run WCW other than Flair?

WCW was dead, and I mean the old WCW run by those asses out of Turner. All that time passing would have made it more shocking to see something like the revival of WCW. Shane bought the company, and what a way to set up a father/son feud with WCW v.s WWE. Shane in charge of WCW, and his father of the WWE. It basically would have been Smackdown with a different name all together.

JR going back, and then ofcourse we had Bischoff in the WWE for some time. These things would have made sense. Especially considering all the old WCW talent that the WWE had at one point, and even some of the talent around now like Helms. Edge could have been the leader of a new wrestling company. He is the main man on Smackdown, and I think he would have made a great name for WCW.

Just think about it for a moment. WWE had the money to launch another football show. All that money could have went in to a new WCW. Most of that money wouldn't have been necessary anyhow. They lost millions with something they had no chance with, and could have went with "wrestling" which is what Vince knows, and they didn't.

I remember when I was young I always wanted some WWF wrestler to say something insulting about a WCW star. It never happened. The stars never stepped out of line, as they would prob be fired. Having a whole other credible wrestling company out there would have been cool. Just Smackdown makes no sense, and it never has to be honest. I don't see it as the "other" show. WCW could have been something special if it was given the time and money to do so.

I was a big mark for the company when it first started. I mean, honestly, I got my mom to buy me a legit XFL football and everything. That fucker was huge, but fun as hell.

However, I lost interest in it as quick as I became a fan. After a few weeks, I stopped following. The games weren't very good for the most part (though I do remember a fantastic game between Los Angeles and Las Vegas), and the league wasn’t able to create any stars outside of He Hate Me and Tommy Maddox, which is what killed it ultimately (tied with what Joey Styles says on the McMahon DVD).

But yeah... if anyone puts the XFL below all the other football leagues that have failed in the past, then they're just a pro wrestling hating moron and nothing more.

I liked the XFL and watched almost every game. Vince should have had somebody controlled the football side of it and he could have handled the wrestling/entertainment side of it. The XFL was entertaining and I believe could have stayed around for a couple more years.

There was a highly influential sports reporter for the New York Post named Phil Mushnick. He hated Vince McMahon. He blamed Vince for promoting violence and corrupting children with his wrestling product and wrote negative articles about Vince at every opportunity. In the months leading up to the kick-off of the first XFL game, Mushnick had been railing against McMahon in numerous columns, claiming XFL would be a failure, even though no games had yet been played. In other words, because he hated McMahon he knew he was going to hate XFL. Mushnick thought he was a paragon of journalistic integrity but I thought he was a prejudging moron for assuming that the product would be bad simply because he didn't like the promoter.

This was the problem that XFL had before they even started playing football games. So many people had prejudged it that the league never had a chance.

For myself, I enjoyed XFL. The problem was that there was too much football. The long NFL season had just ended and I was ready for the off-season. I watched the first couple of weeks of XFL because of the novelty, then I went into winter hibernation as I usually do.

But the product was good, if only people would have given it a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back