XFL TV deal: Does Vince McMahon have leverage?

No Count Pup

Just call on me brother
WWE has secured massive TV deals for Raw and Smackdown. As we have learned, content is king. The XFL will provide even more live content than WWE (during the league season). What is that worth in today's market? Vince McMahon is a monetization machine. How much TV revenue do you think the XFL will draw?

WWE has secured massive TV deals for Raw and Smackdown. As we have learned, content is king. The XFL will provide even more live content than WWE (during the league season). What is that worth in today's market? Vince McMahon is a monetization machine. How much TV revenue do you think the XFL will draw?
Zero. Nobody is going to pay top dollar for what will be a low quality product. I do not care how VKM dresses it up. The NFL has problems getting QUALITY Quarterbacks for 32 teams. How will VKM get them for his 8-12 teams? The only chance he has of making this legit is to put it on the Network. Period.

He has zero leverage. Maybe there was leverage when WWE rights were negotiated, and maybe that included something about the XFL, but no network cares about the XFL. The WWE has a history of failed programs outside of the WWE including the XFL. NFL fans likely aren't going to move to the XFL. There's NCAA to compete with as well. I think the XFL season is running when the other two aren't but I don't think it will deliver the quality game that people want to see. The NFL has trouble delivering quality games.

Content isn't king. Content that people want is king. That's why people are watching Netflix and not Crackle. That's why Marvel movies outpace DC movies.

XFL is already a tainted brand. I honestly do now know why they decided to bring it back. I simply cannot see a reason other than a tax writeoff.

Leverage? What? How? How would a product that failed miserably the first time around have leverage with anything? There's no leverage in something nobody cares about. Case closed.

Yes, Vince has some leverage. Now I understand why all of you guys say no but hear me out on this. Unlike Raw and Smackdown, the XFL would fall under the category of "Appointment Television". That means what viewers would schedule other tasks around it. TV networks will go into bidding wars for it, especially since it won't compete with the NFL.

In my opinion, 2 thing will play against vince as far as the XFL is concern. First, the fact that the XFL failed the first time around will be a big roadblock for vince as tv executive really don't want to take chances on a brand that's failing or as failed in the Past.

Secondly the fact That they're another football organization that's going to start a year before the XFL won't help him either since again, network executive will probably try to get this new league and give it a chance and if it's a ratings disaster will probably go on and pass on the XFL since it's pretty much the same thing.

In the end, Trying to sell the XFL to network execs isn't like getting a new Deal for WWE programing since WWE is a brand that'S been a proven commodity for a long time and they know pretty much what that of ratings it will generate. The XFL at this time is a huge gamble especially knowing that it as a past so Vince really doesn'T have any leverage at all on this since it's a completely different product and however he tries to negotiate a deal, it will be really hard based on the fact that football and wrestling are 2 different product.

Secondly the fact That they're another football organization that's going to start a year before the XFL won't help him either since again, network executive will probably try to get this new league and give it a chance and if it's a ratings disaster will probably go on and pass on the XFL since it's pretty much the same thing.

Correct, you are talking about the AAFL. If I'm not mistaken they already have a TV deal with CBS. The opening and championship game will be on CBS while CBS Sports Network shows at least one AAFL game a week.

The crazy thing is that Chrlie Ebersol is a co founder, he's the guy who made the XFL 30-for 30 documentary for ESPN. His father Dick Ebersol, sits on the AAFL board and he, along with Vince helped create the XFL.

Correct, you are talking about the AAFL. If I'm not mistaken they already have a TV deal with CBS. The opening and championship game will be on CBS while CBS Sports Network shows at least one AAFL game a week.

The crazy thing is that Chrlie Ebersol is a co founder, he's the guy who made the XFL 30-for 30 documentary for ESPN. His father Dick Ebersol, sits on the AAFL board and he, along with Vince helped create the XFL.

That'S the one i was talking about, i didn't remember the name or who was running it because it's been so long since this was reported. Anyway so like you said, they have a deal with CBS. FOX and NBC have a deal with the NFL that they won'T want to jeopardize by signing with another football promotion during the off season so this leave ABC and The CW as major network for Vince to try and carry games. The CW won't sign them because Football isn't part of their target demographic, so this Leave ABC/ESPN. If Vince wants a major network to air XFL games, that probably we're he's will try to go since that'S the smart play right now. But again, with the bad history of the XFL and Vince failure as a promoter outside of Wrestling, will they want to take a chance. Will have to wait and see.

That'S the one i was talking about, i didn't remember the name or who was running it because it's been so long since this was reported. Anyway so like you said, they have a deal with CBS. FOX and NBC have a deal with the NFL that they won'T want to jeopardize by signing with another football promotion during the off season so this leave ABC and The CW as major network for Vince to try and carry games. The CW won't sign them because Football isn't part of their target demographic, so this Leave ABC/ESPN. If Vince wants a major network to air XFL games, that probably we're he's will try to go since that'S the smart play right now. But again, with the bad history of the XFL and Vince failure as a promoter outside of Wrestling, will they want to take a chance. Will have to wait and see.

I don't think the NFL would be worried if the XFL was shown on NBC or FOX. The NFL wouldn't want to give up the golden goose. The CW is a possibility since they are trying to revamp their network. The XFL could try to get a double header in on Saturdays on the CW Network. As far as ESPN/ABC goes ESPN will probably want to show the games on ESPN+ (ESPN's stand alone network that costs $5/mo) Don't think Vince would want that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back