The Triple H "Burying" Myth

I could go on and on about this topic and maybe I will later but right now I’m pressed for time so I’ll be brief. Triple H didn’t bury anybody. I know there are several people rolling their eyes or having a good belly laugh over that statement. Give me some legit examples of Triple H burying somebody.

Booker T.

Went from being the hottest face in the WWE at the time into a feud with a dominant heel champion in a storyline that involved some racist undertones. He got his shot at the guy running him down on the grandest stage of them all, the stage was set for Booker to cement himself as THE number one face in the company and what happened?

Triple H took his moveset and finished him off with relative ease, sending Booker hurtling out of the main event scene and not recovering until the King Booker gimmick.

The story called for Booker to win, the stage called for Booker to win, the company needed a new face champion on Raw, but Triple H decided against it seems. The references to black people not being good enough for the top table, and Triple H proving that (in a kayfabe sense) by dismantling Booker is one of the most distasteful angles they ran last decade

Much of HHH's reputation for burying people came in the early 2000's when he had a stranglehold on the WWF/E title picture. People got sick of him ALWAYS either being champion or the #1 contender. I forget if it was 2003 or 2004, but Vince sent Pat Patterson out to find out why house show attendance was down, and his findings? People couldn't stand HHH. I think that made Hunter finally realize that for the good of the company, he shouldn't be the center of the universe.

Not really, Pat got fired from producing that report remember. I think Triple H's ego just naturally subsided as he got older, got more responsibility backstage and became a father. I think he was always trying to prove to himself that he deserved to be at the top, that he wasn't just living in HBK or the Rock's shadow. By 2006/07, when I think he started to realise he didn't need to push himself to the detriment of the company, he had proven that he was a deserved world champion to everyone and so calmed down.

That doesn't mean he didn't bury a few people along the way.

This is from the horses mouth:

On Triple H burying him backstage when people cheered Kurt over John Cena – “Triple H obviously wanted to bash me because I was a better wrestler than him and I deserved to be in the spot that he was in but he was never going to give up, he’s Vince’s son-in-law.

“I had to deal with that stuff all the time. I’d wrestle Shawn Michaels and I’d get a little rough with him, then I’d get heat from Vince McMahon because I beat up on Shawn too much.

“So I’m like: ‘Well you know what, I’m tired of the two long-haired sissies. If they can’t go up against me then don’t put them up against me.”

CASE STUDY #1: HHH VS. KURT ANGLE (2000).

The Facts: HHH, Angle, and Stephanie were intertwined in a tri-angle that was the talk of the biz and a ratings machine, particularly among broads. All signs pointed to Steph leaving her storyline husband (HHH) for the sensitive "other man" (Angle). In the first known example of an HHH career-kill, he whined that no heterosexual woman would ever leave him, uh, I mean "his character." So after months of build, Steph inexplicably low-blowed Angle, allowing HHH to beat Your Olympic Hero in their big climatic no-DQ match at Unforgiven 00 (9/23/00).

The Prosecution: It made Angle look like a schmuck and did nothing to help HHH or Steph. Angle was in the middle of the biggest push any WWWFE wrestler had received in his rookie year (Euro Title, IC Title, King Of The Ring Winner), and this left him with less heat than an Abominable Snowman's taint. Even the trifling little fact that Angle won the World Title the following month didnt repair the damage HHH had done. The months of promos where HHH inferred that Angle was a homosexual didn't help Angle (or HHHs case) either.

The Defense: Screw Kurt Angle. After he won everything in his rookie year, what the hell was left for him to do? Besides, HHH has laid down for Angle a bunch of times. What about Royal Rumble 2001, which saw interference from Vince, Steph, and Trish before Steve Austin interfered and screwed HHH? Then there was No Way Out 2002, after the HHH/Steph storyline split. Angle beat HHH there after HHH got screwed by Steph the ref. It took HHH almost a full week to re-beat Angle to regain his status as #1 Contender for the World Title going into Wrestlemania 18.

The Verdict: Guilty. Kurt Angle is a once-in-a-blue-moon talent that got over DESPITE his visit to HunterLand. One could even suggest that Angle ruined it for the rest of them, because he stayed over anyway, wrongly implying that HHH didnt have "that much" power or that his shenanigans weren't "that bad." As for Hunter's WM18 match, we'll get to that shortly.

There you go

People talking about HHH burying talent yet they praise a guy like Undertaker who hasn't put over any guys leaving a few. Undertaker should have put over Randy Orton at Wrestlemania 21 but no. He has to win. HHH has put over way more guys than most of the top guys. He lost to Batista, John Cena, Randy Orton, and Jeff Hardy etc etc. How many guys has The Undertaker put over ? Thats right ... None. He just loses to already established talent.

Good stuff.

(Taker Gave Batista his best match ever. Helped get Cena over as a newb on SD, jobbed to Orton many times on ppv even been burned alive, and has lost 1v1 against Jeff hardy more times than he has won 1v1 against Jeff Hardy. Just thought I'd used your examples.)

1998-2001 You know the attitude era. Undertaker had one less than a month WWE title reign. He spent the rest of that time putting people over.

Undertaker spent years being the "credible threat" that lost to Stone Cold. That lost to The Rock. In 96 he jobbed to Foley more times than I can count. He put over Yoko. He put over Bret and Shawn all 97. (And gave stone cold his first main event on ppv)

As American Badass he put over Brock lesnar, some guy called John Cena, Jeff Hardy, and RVD.

Really what we are talking about is world titles. And UT was not selfish.

From 1991-2001 he had only had 3 World title runs. 2 of them lasted less than 2 months together. By contrast HHH won his first world title in 1999 and by 2001 had already been a world champion as many times, and for a longer period than Undertaker.

2001-2007 only 1 World title run for UT.

From here on Taker would pick up a few title runs due to depth problems on Smackdown. But he had 4 title runs in 17 years in the WWE.

Even still he put over Edge, Kane, Khali, Big show, Jeff Hardy, Cm Punk and more.

--

To the OP post, the HHH hate is based on 1999-2006. 1999-02 HHH held his own and the hate is mostly unwarranted. 2002-2006? The Rock and Stone cold fell off. HHH took over. Smackdown had brilliant stars, kept on smackdown, off HHH's raw. I was HHH fan and enjoyed alot of it. But Kurt Angle should have been the guy in 05. Christian should have been the guy in 05. Jericho should have been the guy 03-04. Kane should have been the guy 02-03. Eddie should have been on raw in 04-05. Edge shouldn’t have only had his first world title match in Japan in 2005.

HHH was the top guy on Raw. But during 02-06 he fought the likes of - Scott Stiener. Kevin Nash. HBK. Goldberg. Hogan.

This bit is TLDR but anyway.

Triple H won the 2002 Royal Rumble

No Way Out 2002 - Kurt Angle defeated Triple H with help from special referee Steph to win Triple H's WM title shot (Triple H won it back the next night on Raw)

Wrestlemania 18 - Triple H defeated Chris Jericho to become the second ever Undisputed World Champion

Backlash 2002 - Hulk Hogan defeated Triple H to capture the Undisputed Championship

Judgement Day 2002 - Triple H defeated Chris Jericho in a Hell in a Cell match

King of the Ring 2002 - The Undertaker defeated Triple H to retain the WWE undisputed title due to outside interference

Summer Slam 2002 - Shawn Michaels defeated Triple H in an unsanctioned street fight. After the match Triple H destroyed HBK with the sledge

Unforgiven 2002 - Triple H defeated Rob Van Dam after outside interference by Ric Flair to retain the World Heavyweight title

No Mercy 2002 - Triple H defeated Kane to unify the Heavyweight and IC titles

Survivor Series 2002 - Shawn Michaels defeated Triple H for the World Heavyweight Title in the first ever Elimination Chamber Match

Armageddon 2002 - Triple H defeated Shawn Michaels in a best 2 of 3 falls match to regain the WWE Heavyweight title

Royal Rumble 2003 - Triple H lost to Scott Steiner via DQ, so he retained the title

No Way Out 2003 - Triple H defeated Scott Steiner to retain the heavyweight title

Wrestlemania XIX - Triple H defeated Booker T to retain the heavyweight title

Backlash 2003 - Triple H, Ric Flair & Chris Jericho defeated Shawn Michaels, Kevin Nash & Booker T when Triple H pinned Kevin after hitting him with the sledge

Judgement Day 2003 - Kevin Nash defeated Triple H by DQ when Triple H hit the ref with the sledge

Badd Blood 2003 - Triple H defeated Kevin Nash in a Hell in a Cell match

Summer Slam 2003 - Triple H defeated Shawn Michaels, Kevin Nash, Chris Jericho, Randy Orton and Goldberg in an elimination chamber match to retain the Raw title

Unforgiven 2003 - Goldberg defeated Triple H to win the Raw World Title

Survivor Series 2003 - Goldberg defeated Triple H

Armageddon 2003 - Triple H defeated Goldberg and Kane to win the WWE title

Royal Rumble 2004 - Triple H and Shawn Michaels fought to a draw in a Last Man Standing Match

Wrestlemania XX - Triple H was defeated in a triple threat match against Chris Benoit & HBK when he tapped out to Benoit's Crippler Crossface

Backlash 2004 - Triple H was defeated in a triple threat match against Chris Benoit & HBK when HBK tapped out to Benoit's Sharpshooter

Badd Blood 2004 - Triple H defeated Shawn Michaels in a HIAC match

Vengeance 2004 - Triple H was defeated by Chris Benoit

Summer Slam 2004 - Triple H defeated Eugene

Unforgiven 2004 - Triple H defeated Randy Orton to capture the Raw World Title

Taboo Tuesday - Triple H defeated Shawn Michaels

Survivor Series 2004 - Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Maven, and Randy Orton defeated Triple H, Batista, Edge, and Gene Snitsky

New Year's Revolution 2005 - Triple H defeated Randy Orton with Shawn Michaels as guest referee

Royal Rumble 2005 - Triple H defeated Randy Orton

Wrestlemania XXI - Batista defeated Triple H

Backlash 2005 - Batista defeated Triple H

Vengeance 2005 - Batista defeated Triple H in a Hell in a Cell match

Taboo Tuesday 2005 - Ric Flair defeated Triple H in a Steel Cage match

Survivor Series 2005 - Triple H defeated Ric Flair in a last man standing match

New Year's Revolution 2006 - Triple H defeated Big Show

Royal Rumble 2006 - Triple H entered the Rumble #1 and was eliminated #28

Wrestlemania 22 - John Cena defeated Triple H by submission

The point of that link is NOONE got over HHH during that time until John Cena. (Batista and Orton getting the title was HHH living vicariously, sit at my knee and no man spare me shall ever have sovereignty over you sort of thing) There was so much talent around but HHH kept rolling the easy beats into raw, and semi-buring the likes of Jericho on raw. When evolution was around, they were the only main eventers on the show. Unless the Rock showed up or something, everyone else was a deliberate "upper mid carder". Benoit - the one guy to get through - gets beat buy HHH's croney Orton, who promptly loses to HHH.

Until 2006 Wrestlemania, HHH did not put over a single man who did not come out of wcw or Evolution. That and he(as the the top wwe guy) buried the legacies of the ex wcw guys he did fight.

Smackdown during those years was flooded with talent. People feel that HHH should have shared alot more during those years. People feel that there where legit option available being overlooked.

When John Cena came around is when HHH finally said, there is someone else, who has made themself, and they are worthy.

I think since then HHH has been very willing to put people over. I was a bit upset about the CM Punk bit, but meh.

So its fair to say HHH put people over. - Randy and Batista. But were they really the guys who deserved it at the time? They were his guys. Till H jumped off the Batista bandwagon and onto the Cena one.

But theres no denying he ruined alot of chances for everyone else.

Agree with OP. Also to note on the upcoming Undertaker match: I have a theory that it will end with HHH ultimately "sacrificing" his own personal victory for the good of the business. This storyline is hinting that he WILL be the one to end the streak, beating the Undertaker senseless in HIC and be on the verge of pinning him...but then decides not to. Leaves, quits the match, etc. Cuz the streak is "good for business". Undertaker wins, but not in the traditional way. Just an opinion.

Just think story wise, it has to end in some sort of that fashion. Other than Taker coming back and completely dominating HHH and re-establishing himself as the Phenom that absolutely can not be beat, it's the only thing that makes sense within this build up story. :shrug:

The Verdict: Guilty. Kurt Angle is a once-in-a-blue-moon talent that got over DESPITE his visit to HunterLand. One could even suggest that Angle ruined it for the rest of them, because he stayed over anyway, wrongly implying that HHH didnt have "that much" power or that his shenanigans weren't "that bad." As for Hunter's WM18 match, we'll get to that shortly.[/B]

There you go

I like this post. Not just the bit quoted.

Imagine if HHH didnt have stroke. If Kurt had been able to fight for that spot based on pure merit only. He would have spent alot less time on Smackdown, never would have gone to ECW, and may not have even left WWE.

ok. we get it. you're a major triple h mark, and anyone who disagrees with you is wrong.
its just that there is a hell of alot of evidence that points to triple h being a major burier of talent over his career. and many other people above have already posted examples of such times in great detail.

As others have said, from his burials of the hot properties of the time(radicalz, chris jericho, booker t, brock lesnar) to his verbal bashings of talent of the day.(his 'better match with a broomstick' line was completely unprofessional and just self serving.) hhh certainly does has previous.

you ask for evidence. well i strongly suggest you just have a look for some shoot interviews from over the years. the general perception in the industry on the whole is, though a very talented wrestler who would've/could've reached the top without politicking. his insecurities have made him feel the need to stand in the way of many wrestlers over the years. he is labelled by many as a backstabbing, two faced liar with a streak of real cowardice. which seems to wind up people even more. if this were one or two voices with a history of tall tales i could let it slip. but the truth is, that you'd find it alot harder to find industry voices who have good to say about the man.

Regardless the past is the past, whats done is done. he donned the suit, and seemingly hung up the boots. i thought all this shit may be in the past. but no. it came back once again, when he returned to destroy the summer of punk.(which seemed to purely be a vanity mission from hhh) there's no way him beating punk in the way he did, was the right thing for anyone.....aside from triple h. he killed the hottest angle in many years, dead in its tracks. and for what? just seemed like another bit of ego stroking from him and his grey haired buddy boy kevin nash.

i also have trouble with his current bit with taker.(which i cant believe UT is happily being part of) if anyone didn't know who'd won last years mania, they'd swear it was triple h. even in defeat he has to come across as the man. they've made taker come across as the weak desperate man who somehow fluked a win against the mighty game, and even then the underlying sentiment is 'he may have won, but triple h was the real winner. as taker had to be carried out. and only now has he returned. and returns seeking revenge. against the only man that matters.' Me oh my. talk about ego stroking! even at the end of his career he still bounds out of his suit to make sure everyone knows he's the top dog, always will be.

Honestly you can't really say Orton or Batista because both of these guys were apart of his backstage group, and when he put Batista over he was paling around backstage, in Ortons case, Orton was already a star and was a world champion through Benoit, so you can't put Orton as burying....

Now if you were to go to like Booker T. who was a top star in WCW, and you had him lose cleanly and not even thought of as a main eventer until he was away from triple h and given a goofy gimmick, yeah thats buried, or how him and HBK beat 5 guys who dressed like cheerleaders and only one of them survived with a gimmick all their own thats burying. or taking a Goldberg and beating him cleanly thats burying him based on his legacy....

I will admit that Hunter has lost to some of the newer talent like Miz and Truth, but think of how many times he beat Chris Jericho on a main event status. Punk lost to Triple H despite all of the interference to make punk look stronger it could be said that punk didn't want to look weak, but Hunter didn't want to lose to Punk either...

So did Hunter bury people? Yes, does he still do it? Not saying either way but you have to look at the underlined layers of the matter first...

Booker T.

Went from being the hottest face in the WWE at the time into a feud with a dominant heel champion in a storyline that involved some racist undertones. He got his shot at the guy running him down on the grandest stage of them all, the stage was set for Booker to cement himself as THE number one face in the company and what happened?

Triple H took his moveset and finished him off with relative ease, sending Booker hurtling out of the main event scene and not recovering until the King Booker gimmick.

The story called for Booker to win, the stage called for Booker to win, the company needed a new face champion on Raw, but Triple H decided against it seems. The references to black people not being good enough for the top table, and Triple H proving that (in a kayfabe sense) by dismantling Booker is one of the most distasteful angles they ran last decade

Booker T was the hottest face in the WWE? I remember everyone being in total shock that he won the battle royal to earn the mania championship match. He didn't seem like a big enough opponent for Triple H at mania. So instead of being buried Booker was pushed to new heights with a title match at mania.

I don't recall any racial undertones in that feud. Triple H said he didn't think someone like Booker T should be world champion. He was referring to Booker being a common street thug and an ex con, which Booker was before entering wrestling. Race was never once mentioned. If you thought the angle was racist maybe that says something about your inability to look beyond race.

I will admit it would have been a nice moment if Booker actually did win the title. Regardless, he got a competitive world title match against one of the company's biggest stars ever at the biggest show of the year. Hardly a burial.

ok. we get it. you're a major triple h mark, and anyone who disagrees with you is wrong.
its just that there is a hell of alot of evidence that points to triple h being a major burier of talent over his career. and many other people above have already posted examples of such times in great detail.

As others have said, from his burials of the hot properties of the time(radicalz, chris jericho, booker t, brock lesnar) to his verbal bashings of talent of the day.(his 'better match with a broomstick' line was completely unprofessional and just self serving.) hhh certainly does has previous.

you ask for evidence. well i strongly suggest you just have a look for some shoot interviews from over the years. the general perception in the industry on the whole is, though a very talented wrestler who would've/could've reached the top without politicking. his insecurities have made him feel the need to stand in the way of many wrestlers over the years. he is labelled by many as a backstabbing, two faced liar with a streak of real cowardice. which seems to wind up people even more. if this were one or two voices with a history of tall tales i could let it slip. but the truth is, that you'd find it alot harder to find industry voices who have good to say about the man. I still laugh to this day watching HHH in the old WCW days losing to Alex Wright. That's the only time I ever saw WCW not miss the boat like they did with Austin. HHH was a mid-carder at best until he started knocking the boss's daughter. Then all of a sudden he's a main eventer.

Regardless the past is the past, whats done is done. he donned the suit, and seemingly hung up the boots. i thought all this shit may be in the past. but no. it came back once again, when he returned to destroy the summer of punk.(which seemed to purely be a vanity mission from hhh) there's no way him beating punk in the way he did, was the right thing for anyone.....aside from triple h. he killed the hottest angle in many years, dead in its tracks. and for what? just seemed like another bit of ego stroking from him and his grey haired buddy boy kevin nash.

i also have trouble with his current bit with taker.(which i cant believe UT is happily being part of) if anyone didn't know who'd won last years mania, they'd swear it was triple h. even in defeat he has to come across as the man. they've made taker come across as the weak desperate man who somehow fluked a win against the mighty game, and even then the underlying sentiment is 'he may have won, but triple h was the real winner. as taker had to be carried out. and only now has he returned. and returns seeking revenge. against the only man that matters.' Me oh my. talk about ego stroking! even at the end of his career he still bounds out of his suit to make sure everyone knows he's the top dog, always will be.

I still can't wait for the day I hear on the news that Scott Steiner beat HHH within an inch of his life.

That's what I was saying about Punk earlier. For no reason other than ego, he "inserted" himself into a feud with Punk. Only to destroy the momentum WWE hasn't seen on a mainstream level in decades JUST so he could stroke his ego even more.

Yeah and the person who pointed out Shelton getting over on HHH. If I remember correctly, there were complaints from African American wrestlers about the WWE and Michael Hayes treating them badly and using racist language with them. So that was there attempt to say see we're PC. Once the bad press went away Shelton got squashed again until he left.

Other's he buried besides Booker T when they were HUGE and his ego couldn't take it: Jericho, Umaga, Great Khali, Chavo, Randy Orton (early) Carlito, Funaki, Kane, Steiner, Goldberg, and RVD. In most cases being squashed by HHH means you never recover.

I would have MUCH rather seen UT vs Mankind for WM! Those two had some EPIC matches. Yeah I agree on paper UT won last years Mania but HHH in reality won. We didn't see him taken out on a stretcher. Yeah VMK is still under some delusion (probably due to HHH whispering in his ear) that the WWE needs HHH to be seen in a ring or in a suit.

To me HHH is just a younger more scumbaggy Hogan! Both full of themselves and can't let go of the fact they're out of the limelight.HHH will end up doing to WWE what Hogan has done to TNA, which isn't a good thing. As much as I hate Cena I can say at least the guy worked hard for everything he got! HHH just married the boss's daughter and thats why he got his pushes. God can only wonder how bad Hogan would have been if he was with Stephanie.

The Undertaker- Makes careers
HHH- Buries Careers

All I can say is to go back and watch the promos at the time. Triple H refers to Booker's 'nappy hair', says guys like him are supposed to come out and dance for guys like Triple H (reference to America's racist minstrel shows) before concluding that guys 'like Booker' will never be able to beat guys like him.

It's clearly playing on racist undertones, rewatch them and you'll see it.

While you're there watch the reactions Booker is getting from the crowd, he was ready to win the title and be a top face and Triple H crushed that and sent him back to the mid-card.

You won't see this because you're blindly following your point of view, bravo on saying that it's probably because I'm racist that I thought the promos were racist by the way. If you want to ask people to debate wrestling with you you need to be open to other's opinions and the idea that you might be wrong. At the moment it's like you're Triple H's kid wildly defending him against any insults

I don't think Triple Haytchh puts over anyone. Here's the thing, I'm sure Triple h doesn't volunteer to lose so putting over someone to me means he openly volunteers or embraces the idea of losing to a particular person. He may have a little influence but not as much as he thinks or people seem to think. At the end of the day, there's a guy named Vince McMahon that makes those calls.

Booker T was the hottest face in the WWE? I remember everyone being in total shock that he won the battle royal to earn the mania championship match. He didn't seem like a big enough opponent for Triple H at mania. So instead of being buried Booker was pushed to new heights with a title match at mania.

You're right, he wasn't the hottest face on Raw when he won the Battle Royal. However, by the time Mania came around, he was crazy over. The feud was tailor made for the face to go over.

I don't recall any racial undertones in that feud. Triple H said he didn't think someone like Booker T should be world champion. He was referring to Booker being a common street thug and an ex con, which Booker was before entering wrestling. Race was never once mentioned. If you thought the angle was racist maybe that says something about your inability to look beyond race.

Strongly disagree there, man. I always balk at people who shout racism every ten seconds but this feud really did have a lot of racial overtones.

The guy who made the video is obviously quite ******ed, but there were clearly some racist overtones there.

I will admit it would have been a nice moment if Booker actually did win the title. Regardless, he got a competitive world title match against one of the company's biggest stars ever at the biggest show of the year. Hardly a burial.

First off, I do agree. Nobody was buried. You and I seem to be one a few that actually understand the meaning of the word. However, I don't think Booker got as fair a shake as you make it seem. Booker should have won. Forget the subjective stuff about whether or not Book was big enough to win it, logic dictates that the feud was built for the face to win. If it was going to be just another token defense for Hunter, they should have built it up another way. Wrestlemania has long been the stage where dreams are fulfilled and with a feud booked like this(where someone is constantly degraded for not being worthy/never win the big one) that certainly should have been the outcome.

Also, I wouldn't exact call that match competitive. Booker sold a Pedigree for nearly half a minute and still succumbed to a 3 count. That shit didn't happen, even in the 80s.

This is from the horses mouth:

On Triple H burying him backstage when people cheered Kurt over John Cena – “Triple H obviously wanted to bash me because I was a better wrestler than him and I deserved to be in the spot that he was in but he was never going to give up, he’s Vince’s son-in-law.

“I had to deal with that stuff all the time. I’d wrestle Shawn Michaels and I’d get a little rough with him, then I’d get heat from Vince McMahon because I beat up on Shawn too much.

“So I’m like: ‘Well you know what, I’m tired of the two long-haired sissies. If they can’t go up against me then don’t put them up against me.”

You're joking right? First of all you say straight from the horse's mouth. Well that's one side of the story. I guess since a wrestler said it in a shoot interview it must be true. Keep in mind this is a guy who got upset when Randy Orton starting using a very basic slam in his matches that supposedly Kurt Angle has a trademark on. Besides this is referring to the feud with Cena. So if it went the other way around we could blame HHH for burying Cena right? Sounds to me like Angle tried to bury Cena.

CASE STUDY #1: HHH VS. KURT ANGLE (2000).

The Facts: HHH, Angle, and Stephanie were intertwined in a tri-angle that was the talk of the biz and a ratings machine, particularly among broads. All signs pointed to Steph leaving her storyline husband (HHH) for the sensitive "other man" (Angle). In the first known example of an HHH career-kill, he whined that no heterosexual woman would ever leave him, uh, I mean "his character." So after months of build, Steph inexplicably low-blowed Angle, allowing HHH to beat Your Olympic Hero in their big climatic no-DQ match at Unforgiven 00 (9/23/00).

The Prosecution: It made Angle look like a schmuck and did nothing to help HHH or Steph. Angle was in the middle of the biggest push any WWWFE wrestler had received in his rookie year (Euro Title, IC Title, King Of The Ring Winner), and this left him with less heat than an Abominable Snowman's taint. Even the trifling little fact that Angle won the World Title the following month didnt repair the damage HHH had done. The months of promos where HHH inferred that Angle was a homosexual didn't help Angle (or HHHs case) either.

The Defense: Screw Kurt Angle. After he won everything in his rookie year, what the hell was left for him to do? Besides, HHH has laid down for Angle a bunch of times. What about Royal Rumble 2001, which saw interference from Vince, Steph, and Trish before Steve Austin interfered and screwed HHH? Then there was No Way Out 2002, after the HHH/Steph storyline split. Angle beat HHH there after HHH got screwed by Steph the ref. It took HHH almost a full week to re-beat Angle to regain his status as #1 Contender for the World Title going into Wrestlemania 18.

The Verdict: Guilty. Kurt Angle is a once-in-a-blue-moon talent that got over DESPITE his visit to HunterLand. One could even suggest that Angle ruined it for the rest of them, because he stayed over anyway, wrongly implying that HHH didnt have "that much" power or that his shenanigans weren't "that bad." As for Hunter's WM18 match, we'll get to that shortly.

There you go
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there you go.:rolleyes: With less than one year under his belt Angle got to work a program with the top guy and the owner's daughter. This feud in no way buried Angle. You said it yourself, he was champion a month later. This is when there was only one champion. How could that possibly be called a burial? Angle went on to be champion multiple times and was one of the biggest stars in the WWE in the 00s. If you're going to use an example of Triple H burying someone don't make it one of the most successful stars of the decade.

Plenty of people on this forum vehemently believe that Triple H buries people to no end and is the worst "burying" culprit of all-time. However, many people such as myself don't believe this to be true, and see it for what it is: a phony myth created and pushed largely by ignorant and angry IWC members. I created this thread to address this myth and have a discussion about to hopefully talk some sense into people, and see if anyone actually has any kind of valid counterargument.

First off, let me say this: I understand that Triple H beats a lot of people, and probably has buried some in the past. But here's the thesis of this thread: Triple H has not buried any more people than any normal superstar of his caliber/position in the company as a top guy.

In order to prove my point, I'll attack the main argument of the believers of the myth- they believe that Triple H never puts anyone over and is constantly burying people in his way. Well, that's obviously not true, and I'll give you plenty of examples to support my claim. Let's start this off by taking a look at some of the past Wrestlemania's:

Wrestlemania 20- put over/lost to Benoit
Wrestlemania 21- put over/lost to Batista
Wrestlemania 22- put over/lost to Cena
Wrestlemania 23- (injured, did not compete)
Wrestlemania 24- put over/lost to Orton
Wrestlemania 25- defeated Orton (but he built up Orton during the preceeding feud, as Orton had dominated him, attacking him at his home; plus, Triple H was the face- it made sense for him to finally notch the win)
Wrestlemania 26- defeated Sheamus (but eventually lost the feud to him culminating at Extreme Rules, leaving after that due to an injury at Sheamus' hands)
Wrestlemania 27- put over/lost to Undertaker
Wrestlemania 28- most likely will put over/lose to Undertaker

So, on the biggest stage of the year, Triple H has largely (if not entirely) put over guys, often younger, and made them look great the past several years. A lot of these were title matches that HHH lost to his opponent, making them look like gold in the process. He & HBK gave Benoit a career-defining moment, he cemented Batista as a bonafide main-eventer, he tapped to Cena, he put over and added credibility to Orton in a surprise loss, he was involved in high-profile, elevating feuds with Orton & Sheamus that made them look great and they came out of them for the better, and, most recently, has added to the legacy of Undertaker's streak, providing him with yet another credible win (and he's most likely about to put him over for the third straight time at Wrestlemania this year, making 'Taker 3-0 against HHH at WM all-time).

Next, let's take a look at all of the talent that Triple H has personally built up over the past several years. Here are just a few BIG names that come to mind:

Batista-Groomed him in Evolution until he was ready to go over him in a high-profile, elevating feud. Helped him get to where he eventually got. Gave him A LOT of credibility. Personally showed him the ropes of the business, aiding him in getting to the top. Batista has stated in the past that Triple H & Flair were INTEGRAL in the success of his career.
Randy Orton- See Batista.
John Cena-Although they didn't interact that much, Cena always seemed to get the edge more often than not, often getting the wins. Furthermore, Cena ALWAYS looked good. Got a key win against HHH during his more formative main-event years at WM22 as previously mentioned with a very impressive submission victory.
Sheamus-Although he was beaten at 'Mania, he eventually took out HHH at Extreme Rules, winning the feud, gaining championship credibility, & putting HHH on the shelf for quite some time in the process. HHH has been a key supporter of Sheamus behind the scenes as well, aiding him in getting to the top.

I could go on and state more names, and I could probably even go on further in my argument, but I believe I've stated enough solid evidence in this opening post. Triple H often gets a bad rap for this "burying" myth, but it's simply unfounded and baseless. Like I said, he's definitely not done it any more than anyone else, like the Rock, Stone Cold, Brock Lesnar, HBK, Bret Hart, Goldberg, and pretty much every other top guy. And don't even get me started about TRUE buriers like a Hogan or Nash. Guys like that are in their own class. Triple H is no where near those guys and has the best interest of the business/the future of the WWE in the forefront of his mind at all times because he truly loves it. That's why he's currently a WWE executive in charge of scouting talent, because he wants to aid the WWE in its future.

The whole Triple H "burying" myth is just that- a myth.

Personally speaking, I am with you on a variety/majority of your points, so much that despite my disagreement on a few minor things I'd have to give you a green rep. But here's my take on the whole notion of accusing a wrestler of burying this guy or that guy and so on. We as the IWC can only speculate on what really goes on behind the "creative curtain" of the wrestling world, yes I know we all have varying degrees of experience with the business, some people that post on here are indy workers, bookers and what have you.

Some of us here are just ordinary fans that have probably met quite a few of pro wrestling's most prominent figures and know some people in the business and have read all the tell all books and watched all the retrospective DVDs and shoot interviews that are out there. I put myself in this category, the "ordinary fan". While I do have some suspicions and have indeed read up the various rumors and news tidbits that float around on the internet, I still remain a skeptic about much of what I hear, I even suspect sometimes that folks in WWE and TNA themselves stir things up by helping to get some of these rumors out there. Call me a conspiracy nut or a lunatic if you must, but think about it like this the business of professional wrestling is built on false pretenses, and these days with so much of it being "exposed" via the internet, things have to be said and done to work around such a thing.

In the past, I would just lash out at folks and make assumptions but this time I am not going to do that, I thought you made some very good points, a lot of people want to vilify Triple H at every free opportunity they can get. And he's definitely had quite a few major losses at WrestleManias to prove that his character doesn't always come out the very best. In my mind though, I don't care if he is married to the boss' daughter, the guy is a physical phenomenon and one of the most determined people I've ever seen get into a wrestling ring. I've actually become a bigger fan of his in recent years than I was when I was younger but even back then through the less than bright times in his career like the Terra Ryzing persona, feuds with mid-90s embarrassments like Duke Droese and Henry Godwinn, and of course the squash against the Ultimate Warrior at WrestleMania XII, the guy has convinced me that he belongs where he does in the pantheon of other wrestling legends.

What Triple H has done to keep his spot in the business though, well there's a lot of room for speculation on what really goes on behind the scenes, and again I'm not going to assume things here PlayTheGame so I'm going to ask what your relationship to the wrestling business is? I mean all your good points aside, we can speculate all we want about who the true saboteurs of the wrestling business are however there's a lot of room for debate on what you said about Hulk Hogan. Same goes for Kevin Nash, and I will get to that after I speak on Hogan.

Yes, I'm a fervent Hogan mark, so much that it might strike irony with some that my display name is not the "HulkAMark" or some other variation on his name, and while I do scratch my head at some of the feuds he's had in the past i.e. Billy Kidman, I don't believe that he's this saboteur to the degree people say he is. Do I disagree with those that say he has an ego? Absolutely not. I do think Hogan has an ego but he's just one ego amongst many others in a realm where egotism is a prerequisite for the job. Anything where you are a public figure and you're seen on a television screen or in other media you can bet ego will be involved. Most people don't pay for pay-per-views, merchandise or live event tickets to get modesty, we want to see people who have personalities that are bigger than ours and physical abilities that are greater than ours.

The reason I defend a lot of the things said about Hogan is because from what we hear on the internet and what people are so quick to believe just boggles my mind. Such as Hogan's creative control clause, while I don't doubt he had the ability to veto a lot of calls that were made involving him, I also think that if he had creative control to the ability that it was rumored, then incidents like The Bash At The Beach 2000 controversy would never have happened. And to be honest, I don't think he'd have ever lost the WCW World Title after winning it from Ric Flair in the first place, with a creative control clause, I am sure he could have held that World Title for every day he was contracted to that company. People who also state how Hogan prevented the rise of stars like Steve Austin should also stop and think for a second about other stars that could have helped Austin's case in that company. Ric Flair and Randy Savage could have at any time given Austin the rub in WCW but that never occurred either. In fact Austin and Savage wrestled in a US Title tournament back in 1995 (when Vader got stripped of the title) with Austin going over. Savage advanced to wrestle Flair in the tournament and both were double DQd from the tournament.

In the first place, I wondered why Flair and Savage were competing for a secondary title in the first place, but think of it like this, imagine the momentum boost Austin could have gotten by going over both Savage and Flair in that tournament. Yes, I do think it sucks that Austin didn't go any further in WCW, but when you look at how other big names were going over him towards the end of his run there, I find it very hard pressed to point a finger solely at Hogan. Yes things worked out better for Austin in the long run (as we all know of course) but people like to act as if the WWF immediately capitalized on WCW's supposed ineptitude when they signed him. Which we all know isn't the case because by the time Austin came to WWF, he was given a tired prop in the form of the Million Dollar Belt and had they kept him in that role as The Ringmaster for too long, who knows if "Austin 3:16" would have ever become a colloquialism in pro wrestling.

Incidents like Hogan's feud with Billy Kidman, I will admit were weak, the whole booking of that WCW Millionaires Club Vs New Blood angle was sub-par to say the least. In my mind if Hogan was booked as a heel again in his Hollywood persona and Kidman as the underdog face, we could very well have seen something intriguing. Could Hogan have vetoed going heel again? It's very possible, but when you look at all the other veterans being pushed as faces, who really knows what was going on behind the scenes. Nothing annoyed me more than seeing these young guys being pushed as spoiled brat heels when that should never have been the case, but considering that this was towards WCW's end who really knows who was calling what shots. Whenever people bring up Hogan's creative control and how he uses it to run roughshod, I always call them out and tell them that places like WWE and TNA shouldn't ever hire him or bring him back if they are that concerned. In fact since his post WCW career, Hogan's gotten more accolades in WWE (title wins and victories over big name stars) than he ever has in TNA, and supposedly he's the guy calling all the shots in TNA. Go figure, right?

Which leads me to my point about Kevin Nash I wanted to get to. Some people and I am not saying this you're one of them, but I swear that when some people watch Rey Mysterio in action in WWE, they think that this whole underdog persona with him was a WWE plot invention. It was absolutely not.

Back in WCW during the late 90s, Nash and Mysterio got into a feud and while yes there were instances where Nash got over on Mysterio, in the long run Mysterio was able to gain measures of revenge on Nash and also hold his own against other larger opponents like Scott Norton and Bam Bam Bigelow. Mysterio's tenacity against larger opponents started in WCW and granted while they didn't do as much with him as maybe some would like, he had competed against guys like Ric Flair for the World Title and had some notable moments in that company. Had he never received that type of push in WCW, who knows if WWE would have ever tried to utilize that quality in his character. Yes, I also know some people hate the idea of him losing his mask during that time but hey he agreed to it, a lot of people make these decisions themselves and we can't just go and blame WCW, NWA, TNA, WWF/E every time something like this happens. I think if Nash truly wanted to bury Mysterio, he'd have never given him the time of day to have a feud in the first place.

Overall, I really do like your post, really do. But my philosophy is this, the wrestling business like anything else that one can be a fan of is a little too oversimplified and what really goes on behind the curtain is uncertain. Being just the ordinary fan, all I can say about what goes on behind the scenes is I know that I don't know what's REALLY going on.

Anyway a good read and I have to give it a positive rep, even with the few and very minor disagreements I had.

I love how people relate burying someone to wins and losses, its cute. Truth is though, sheamus not winning at mania' did not bury him. He didn't deserve a win at mania yet. The feud continued afterwards, and HHH put him over huge. Sheamus can always hang his celtic cross on the fact that he put HHH on the shelf for a year.

More claims about the burying people myth is that HHH refused to put people over from the period between 2002 and 2004. Its true that people weren't going over him, but I highly doubt it was all his call. WWE was in the midst of a talent crisis on the raw roster. Rock, and Austin were gone. Shawn michaels had just come back and wasn't 100% sure of himself. And honestly, most of the talent was on the smackdown roster. HHH was the number 1 guy on Raw, and the number 1 guy in the company. When hogan did it in the 80's, no one called it burying, he was bringing all of the money in. Same here with HHH. People wanted to pay to see him get his ass kicked. He didn't get his ass kicked, so people wanted to see it even more. That's not burying, its good for business. Than the minute new stars were built, or people were ready to take that next step, he got his ass kicked by them, and people loved it.

The only burying that happened was done to WCW guys. Booker T, scott steiner, and goldberg 1 after another falled at the hands of HHH. Was that really HHH's decision though? C'mon.

Nate Booker went into that feud off the back of the Rock making him look credible. He was built up to take the title from Triple H at Wrestlemania only for (according to backstage stories, ones that seem likely in this case) HHH to decide he wanted to keep the title.

It made Booker T look like a chump when he couldn't actually beat HHH at Mania after the insults he had received and instead of sending him to the top of the card it pushed him back into feuding with Christian over the intercontinental title, before a feud with Mark Henry by the end of the year.

HHH had two options open to him, elevate the guy or trash him, and he choose to trash him. Just because Booker was able to build himself back up again doesn't mean that Triple H didn't derail his career for a while for his own benefits.

Nate Booker went into that feud off the back of the Rock making him look credible. He was built up to take the title from Triple H at Wrestlemania only for (according to backstage stories, ones that seem likely in this case) HHH to decide he wanted to keep the title.

It made Booker T look like a chump when he couldn't actually beat HHH at Mania after the insults he had received and instead of sending him to the top of the card it pushed him back into feuding with Christian over the intercontinental title, before a feud with Mark Henry by the end of the year.

HHH had two options open to him, elevate the guy or trash him, and he choose to trash him. Just because Booker was able to build himself back up again doesn't mean that Triple H didn't derail his career for a while for his own benefits.

I agree with you 100%! HHH buried Kane, Jericho, tried with Punk, and Orton. They were all able to build themselves back up where the countless others were unable to.

All I can say is to go back and watch the promos at the time. Triple H refers to Booker's 'nappy hair', says guys like him are supposed to come out and dance for guys like Triple H (reference to America's racist minstrel shows) before concluding that guys 'like Booker' will never be able to beat guys like him.

It's clearly playing on racist undertones, rewatch them and you'll see it.

While you're there watch the reactions Booker is getting from the crowd, he was ready to win the title and be a top face and Triple H crushed that and sent him back to the mid-card.

You won't see this because you're blindly following your point of view, bravo on saying that it's probably because I'm racist that I thought the promos were racist by the way. If you want to ask people to debate wrestling with you you need to be open to other's opinions and the idea that you might be wrong. At the moment it's like you're Triple H's kid wildly defending him against any insults

I could say the same to you. In fact I think I will. If you want to ask people to debate wrestling with you, you need to be open to other's opinions and the idea that you might be wrong. Perhaps you're blindly going against Triple H because he was better than your favorites.

What's wrong with saying someone "like Booker T" will never be champion. It's open to your interpretation as to what "like Booker T" means. You decided that meant a black man. I decided that meant a mid carder. I don't think a guy "like Zack Ryder" should be champion. Is that racist? I already said that it may have been better for Booker to win the match. That doesn't mean he was buried because he lost. He still brags about his paycheck for that match so he's probably ok with the result.

How about looking at the promo posted on the last page before you continue on your ranting. Or addressing the other racist points I made? Or commenting on how Booker was pushed back to the mid-card after this feud?

Or just keep believing what you want to believe no matter how foolish you look in the process. Your actual argument here amounts to 'No he didn't! You're an idiot!', which isn't a great basis for debate now is it?

How about looking at the promo posted on the last page before you continue on your ranting. Or addressing the other racist points I made? Or commenting on how Booker was pushed back to the mid-card after this feud?

Or just keep believing what you want to believe no matter how foolish you look in the process. Your actual argument here amounts to 'No he didn't! You're an idiot!', which isn't a great basis for debate now is it?

How am I ranting? I'm discussing. You're the one getting all worked up about it. I will comment on how Booker was pushed to the mid card. It was where he belonged at the time. He should be happy that he was put in the main event at mania considering his mid card status. Even if I did agree that Triple H buried Booker T that's one example in 15 years. Hardly a track record that warrants his reputation.

Ah the old 'I'm not wound up, you are' part of the debate. Next you'll make some arrow to the knee reference and say 'lulz' I presume?

As for Booker being 1 in 15 years I'll refer you to you asking for someone to bring up 1 instance where Triple H buried anyone. I did, most seem to agree on it judging on the comments, you even seem to slightly believe that Triple H could have handled it better, so there is the one you asked for.

Saying that you think Booker belonged in the mid-card isn't much of an argument either by the way. It's just an opinion.

It's a great basis for debate when it's true. He DID address the racist points - to paraphrase, there's no proof anything he said was remotely racist. Booker DOES have "nappy" hair. He made no reference to the minstrel shows, YOU did. Like Brain said, YOU decided he meant black people when he said "people like" Booker T. The fact that you believe something does not make it universally true. In fact, in this case, it's completely false. Triple H admitted not long afterwards that he was referring to Booker T's criminal past.

People looking for racism in everything is one of the biggest problems with this country today. You can't say anything about a person of a minority race without somebody viewing it as racist. It's ridiculous.

Ah the old 'I'm not wound up, you are' part of the debate. Next you'll make some arrow to the knee reference and say 'lulz' I presume?

You're the one who said I was ranting. I have no idea what the arrow to the knee reference means.

As for Booker being 1 in 15 years I'll refer you to you asking for someone to bring up 1 instance where Triple H buried anyone. I did, most seem to agree on it judging on the comments, you even seem to slightly believe that Triple H could have handled it better, so there is the one you asked for.

I never said Triple H could have handled it better. I said maybe Booker should have won the match. I believe Vince McMahon has the final call on who wins matches for his company. He made the call for Triple H to win. If he was sold on Booker being the champ his son in law (not yet) would not have been able to stop him.

Saying that you think Booker belonged in the mid-card isn't much of an argument either by the way. It's just an opinion

Ok here's a better argument. Goldberg debuted the next night. Maybe, just maybe WWE wanted him to be the big babyface on Raw. Maybe Booker was being used as filler until the Triple H vs. Goldberg feud could get underway.

Saying that you think Booker belonged in the mid-card isn't much of an argument either by the way. It's just an opinion.

Did you just admit that you've yet to make an argument on this entire topic? Afterall, everything you've said is an opinion. Triple H buried Booker T? Opinion. Booker T deserved to win? Opinion. Triple H's promo was racist? Opinion. Hell, Booker T went back to the midcard after his loss? OPINION.

For somebody who gets on others for "believing what you want to believe no matter how foolish you look in the process," you sure do love believing what you want to believe while looking foolish in the process.

HHH won 4 out of 6 Chambers. HHH took a shit all over CM Punk's momentum at Night of Champions.

HHH's ego is a large reason why the WWE is in the current state it is. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back