"The Tooth Fairy" and its effects on the NHL

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Ever watched The Might Ducks? It was an iconic movie of many of our childhoods. SOmething else it did was gain interest in the NHL by many kids who never heard or watched it before. The Might Ducks of Anaheim were a very popular team, and I have heard people on these forums say their favourite team is the Mighty Ducks (now known as the Ducks).

A new Disney movie, staring Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) is being released involving a hockey player who is known for his rough play (knocking players teeth out). Now this is going to be big exposure for the sport who is fighting for its place in the homes of the big American market.

Will the movie be a positive of a negative? If its a popular movie, could kids tune in? Will parents watch the movie and see that the sport is a little rough (though I have not seen the movie, the previews do insinuate that the sport is a lot rougher than it might be in my opinion). Overall, I think the movie is a positive for the league, not as much as the previos stated Might Ducks, but still a successful movie for building future fans.

I highly doubt it makes any impact. I'm thinking the hockey scenes are very limited in this film. They're definitely going to focus more on The Rock being a Tooth Fairy, rather than a hockey player. The Mighty Ducks, on the other hand, was strictly a hockey movie. That was its appeal: kids playing hockey. This movie's appeal is Tooth Fairies. The Rock could have been ANYTHING before becoming a Tooth Fairy and the story would remain the same.

So, again.... I don't see this affecting the hockey scene at all, positively or negatively. However, be on the lookout in the next two years or so for Kevin Smith's "Hit Somebody". That's going be a real hockey film, from a pretty damn good writer/filmmaker and also a HUGE hockey fan. I know I for one am very much looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back