The Technology Troubleshooting Thread

It depends on what distribution of Linux you get, but most are free. The one I recommended was. As far as software goes, you probably won't be able to go to the store and buy a box of software, but there's plenty of software out there. What are you wanting to do with the machine?

Ah ok then and well it's needed for general browsing and writing of documents but I also need to burn discs, Photoshopping/scanning and some gaming.

When do you install the updates? Right before you're turning off the computer? Or do you run them while your machine is active. Do the updates ever actually install, and then uninstall whenever you turn your machine back on?

The computer is supposed to install as it shuts down so the former of the two choices. Even when I try to do it manually with the computer still on, it doesn't work at all and if I'm right the last time I tried it froze the computer up for about 5 minutes before it started again.
Only when I try it with the computer on do I get the message which says installation failed. Doesn't give me a code or anything like it usually does for other things.

Ah ok then and well it's needed for general browsing and writing of documents but I also need to burn discs, Photoshopping/scanning and some gaming.
Web browsing can be done by Firefox, OpenOffice for documents, each distribution of Linux usually has burning software, Gimp works like Photoshop...so really the only thing would be gaming, and there are SOME games that you can run. Depends on the game you're wanting.

The computer is supposed to install as it shuts down so the former of the two choices. Even when I try to do it manually with the computer still on, it doesn't work at all and if I'm right the last time I tried it froze the computer up for about 5 minutes before it started again.
Only when I try it with the computer on do I get the message which says installation failed. Doesn't give me a code or anything like it usually does for other things.
Okay, so the installation fails, it never actually updates.

Are you set up as a Limited Account user? Are you on as a Guest Account? Do you have the ability to sign in as the full Administrator of the machine?

Everytime I start my home computer, a hardware installation wizard pops up asking me to install an unknown hardward. I can't think of any hardware that has been added to the computer recently, is there any way to figure out what hardware it is refering to?

If not, is there anyway to get this to stop popping up everytime I turn the computer on?

Everytime I start my home computer, a hardware installation wizard pops up asking me to install an unknown hardward. I can't think of any hardware that has been added to the computer recently, is there any way to figure out what hardware it is refering to?

If not, is there anyway to get this to stop popping up everytime I turn the computer on?

Go ahead and advance the installation. It's possible you had a video card driver, or something like that updated. And it should tell you what it's searching for if you advance far enough.

Web browsing can be done by Firefox, OpenOffice for documents, each distribution of Linux usually has burning software, Gimp works like Photoshop...so really the only thing would be gaming, and there are SOME games that you can run. Depends on the game you're wanting.

Sweet. It would probably be games like Football Manager, Sims and Starcraft. I'm assuming 1 out 3 would work?

Okay, so the installation fails, it never actually updates.

Are you set up as a Limited Account user? Are you on as a Guest Account? Do you have the ability to sign in as the full Administrator of the machine?

Yeah, I'm the full Administrator of the machine - so what can I do now? Thanks.

I apologize if this is a stupid inquiry. But I need some help. I recently jailbroke my IPOD touch 4.2.1 with Cydia. I didn't have wi-fi but discovered there was a program called Cyder which could basically act as Itunes but for Cydia and install apps through the computer. In the tutorials it seems as though Cyder automatically recognises the Ipod and lists sources etc. but in my case nothing happens. I connect the Ipod and Itunes recognises the fucking thing but Cyder doesn't at all. Anyone have suggestions or alternatives to getting apps for Cydia through computer.

Cheers.

Sweet. It would probably be games like Football Manager, Sims and Starcraft. I'm assuming 1 out 3 would work?
http://appdb.winehq.org/

You can find games that our supported by WINE there. And according to the next link, Playonlinux has the Sims. WINE and Playonlinux are programs which help simulate a Windows environment for Windows based games. Sometimes it works very well, sometimes not at all.

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/commentaires-670.html

But, I can't verify those, as I don't have the games.

Yeah, I'm the full Administrator of the machine - so what can I do now? Thanks.

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/62738.aspx

That's the best help I can offer, without physically touching the machine.

I apologize if this is a stupid inquiry. But I need some help. I recently jailbroke my IPOD touch 4.2.1 with Cydia. I didn't have wi-fi but discovered there was a program called Cyder which could basically act as Itunes but for Cydia and install apps through the computer. In the tutorials it seems as though Cyder automatically recognises the Ipod and lists sources etc. but in my case nothing happens. I connect the Ipod and Itunes recognises the fucking thing but Cyder doesn't at all. Anyone have suggestions or alternatives to getting apps for Cydia through computer.

Cheers.
I've never used Cyder. My advice would be to do some Googling. Or find a Wi-Fi hotspot and use that to download your apps directly onto the phone.

http://appdb.winehq.org/

You can find games that our supported by WINE there. And according to the next link, Playonlinux has the Sims. WINE and Playonlinux are programs which help simulate a Windows environment for Windows based games. Sometimes it works very well, sometimes not at all.

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/commentaires-670.html

But, I can't verify those, as I don't have the games.

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/62738.aspx

That's the best help I can offer, without physically touching the machine

Ok. Thanks for all the help Sly. Really appreciated.

i have a coby mp3 and i wrote a document and Saved it to my MP3 and had it plugged into my PS3 when i go to upload it to some site it doesnt show up all that i can upload are pictures...
I know there is a 98% chance that its stupid but can i upload Open office documents to my ps3?

I'm currently in Safe Mode with Networking. When I try to use my computer normally, it will freeze up on me. It wont crash, but I wont be able to do anything. This has been happening very frequently over the past few days. I've run numerous scans using numerous programs in safe mode, and have deleted all the viruses it found. I feel as though there may be something in the Registry that is causing this. The registry program I tried using only deleted half of the found errors because I had to paay for the full version in order to delete the rest. Again, that's just my guess.

Can anyone help?

I'm currently in Safe Mode with Networking. When I try to use my computer normally, it will freeze up on me. It wont crash, but I wont be able to do anything. This has been happening very frequently over the past few days. I've run numerous scans using numerous programs in safe mode, and have deleted all the viruses it found. I feel as though there may be something in the Registry that is causing this. The registry program I tried using only deleted half of the found errors because I had to paay for the full version in order to delete the rest. Again, that's just my guess.

Can anyone help?
First of all, registry cleaners are usually just scams, like yours sounds to be, in order to get you to give a company your credit card number. The only decent cleaners I've see are CCleaner and ToniArts EasyCleaner. I'm not sure if CCleaner has a registry cleaner (haven't used it in years), but I know EasyCleaner does. Also, it is very rare having an excess of files in your registry will cause your computer to freeze, it's far more likely NOT having certain files will cause your computer to freeze.

Second of all, I need more information. What operating system are you running (it's obviously Windows since you have a registry, but XP, Vista or 7?)? What programs have you run to try and clean your computer? Which anti-virus are you currently using? How much RAM does your computer have?

Your problem could be many things, need more information.

First of all, registry cleaners are usually just scams, like yours sounds to be, in order to get you to give a company your credit card number. The only decent cleaners I've see are CCleaner and ToniArts EasyCleaner. I'm not sure if CCleaner has a registry cleaner (haven't used it in years), but I know EasyCleaner does. Also, it is very rare having an excess of files in your registry will cause your computer to freeze, it's far more likely NOT having certain files will cause your computer to freeze.

Second of all, I need more information. What operating system are you running (it's obviously Windows since you have a registry, but XP, Vista or 7?)? What programs have you run to try and clean your computer? Which anti-virus are you currently using? How much RAM does your computer have?

Your problem could be many things, need more information.

I'm using Vista. The programs I've used so far to try and fix the problem are:

AVG
Norton Security Suite
Spybot Search + Destroy
SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition
CCLeaner

I have since uninstalled AVG. However, these don't seem to be helping. I have taken a screenshot of my computer's information hoping it will help.

jl1bn7.jpg

I used to play some game and i was bored of it i never thought i would enjoy it again so i clicked on something that said dont send me email about it
my question is how do i undo it?

I'm using Vista. The programs I've used so far to try and fix the problem are:

AVG
Norton Security Suite
Spybot Search + Destroy
SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition
Uninstall all of the above.

Install:

iExplore (rkill) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rkill
Malwarebytes
Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)

Make sure you uninstall the others first. When you have multiple security tools running realtime protection on your machine, they conflict and can miss malicious programs. Only have one realtime protection for your machine. Then install the software above. Once all are installed and updated, run the iExplore (rkill) program. rkill shuts down all known instances of malware, so they can be detected. Then run Malwarebytes and see if you get any hits. If you do, delete all malicious programs, and keep running Malwarebytes until it gives you a clean bill of health. Then run a MSE scan. Anytime you restart your computer, you have to run rkill again before you scan.

If you don't find anything, try to give me some instances of when it freezes. I'm not entirely convinced this is a software problem, so tell me when it freezes. Are you on the Internet? Is it in only one web browser and not another? Do you have any kind of programs running in the background? Any consistency you may notice about when the machine freezes.

Also, does it freeze when you use Safe Mode?

I used to play some game and i was bored of it i never thought i would enjoy it again so i clicked on something that said dont send me email about it
my question is how do i undo it?

You go to the company's website and look for a way to receive the e-mails again. If it was an Internet game, you should have an account, and account options will usually allow you to select to receive e-mails. If it's a disc-based game, just look on the disc for who makes the game.

Uninstall all of the above.

Install:

iExplore (rkill) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rkill
Malwarebytes
Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)

Make sure you uninstall the others first. When you have multiple security tools running realtime protection on your machine, they conflict and can miss malicious programs. Only have one realtime protection for your machine. Then install the software above. Once all are installed and updated, run the iExplore (rkill) program. rkill shuts down all known instances of malware, so they can be detected. Then run Malwarebytes and see if you get any hits. If you do, delete all malicious programs, and keep running Malwarebytes until it gives you a clean bill of health. Then run a MSE scan. Anytime you restart your computer, you have to run rkill again before you scan.

If you don't find anything, try to give me some instances of when it freezes. I'm not entirely convinced this is a software problem, so tell me when it freezes. Are you on the Internet? Is it in only one web browser and not another? Do you have any kind of programs running in the background? Any consistency you may notice about when the machine freezes.

Also, does it freeze when you use Safe Mode?

Actually, before I uninstalled everything, I ran one last scan using Norton. It didnt find anything, but a dialog box popped up with a list of problems and how to fix them. I found my problem and I ended up downloaded something called Norton Power Eraser. That along with running some commands on my computer helped fix my problem.

Can someone tell how you can put Youtube videos onto your iTunes. There are quite a few fan made music videos I like and would like to have them on my iPod as well as some live videos and wondering if there was a program for it.

My Ex flatmate decided to be a bitch and change the password to my account on my computer. Is there anyway to get into my account (it's the admin account) So I can rechange it back?

I did a quick search and it said I need a disc. only problem is the disk drive is fucked. :/

(gunna be honest here so I will say it's not my account it's my partners and I can't get into it)

My Ex flatmate decided to be a bitch and change the password to my account on my computer. Is there anyway to get into my account (it's the admin account) So I can rechange it back?

I did a quick search and it said I need a disc. only problem is the disk drive is fucked. :/

(gunna be honest here so I will say it's not my account it's my partners and I can't get into it)

It depends on what you mean by Admin account (for example, is it just a user account, or is it the system Administrator account or the root account of a Linux machine), what operating system you have, and if Windows, what version of the Operating System you have (XP, Vista, 7, etc.).

Windows xp. and it's the main user account. There is a child lock on all of the other accounts and only my partners account can disable it. I would be happy with just being to somehow disable the child lock. (for the internet) as my dads trying to use the computer and the sites he is trying to get on are deemed not child friendly for some reason.

Windows xp. and it's the main user account. There is a child lock on all of the other accounts and only my partners account can disable it. I would be happy with just being to somehow disable the child lock. (for the internet) as my dads trying to use the computer and the sites he is trying to get on are deemed not child friendly for some reason.

Is it XP Home or Pro? It makes a HUGE difference. You can find out by holding down the Windows key on your keyboard and pressing the Pause key at the same time. It will tell you if it's Home or Pro.

Topic.

Last night in the UK the clocks went forward 1 hour, and now on my Iphone the clock is an hour slow! I've Googled how to alter it but can't find any good links.

Anyone know what to do?

I have problem with my compaq cq 40, its very slow even i have RAM 3gb inside, especially for internet connection
grey.png

I need some assistance. Yesterday I was browsing through some links. And then something popped saying malware was detected by AVG and needed to be removed. I hit the remove button and thought everything was okay. Now I can't use Firefox or msn, something comes up to run it through other programs and they won't run. What do I need to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back