The Technology Troubleshooting Thread

I need some assistance. Yesterday I was browsing through some links. And then something popped saying malware was detected by AVG and needed to be removed. I hit the remove button and thought everything was okay. Now I can't use Firefox or msn, something comes up to run it through other programs and they won't run. What do I need to do?

The bold needs to be more specific. "something" "it" "other program" and "they" isn't very helpful. Please be more specific.

I got to work this morning and one of the emergency dispatching computer's keyboard's language is off. If I want to type '/' I got a lower case e with a french accent above it.

How can I change it back to English (US)?

Any help will be appreciated.

So i've had my new cell phone since Christmas. It is a Samsung Messenger Touch. I just got ahold of a usb cord for it and thought that I could upload my pictures and videos without a problem. My friends told me that it might have come with a disk for some kind of software but I know it didn't. I've even tried to look online for some homebrew software that someone could have possibly made. What can I do to get my phone uploading all these awesome wrestling videos?

Just go to the official samsung website where it will download the software, Samsung phones haven't come with disks for years.

http://www.samsung.com/us/

Just search in the top right search bar.

Okay so I figured I'd ask someone before I threw my Laptop across the fucking room. I have recently just discovered that my Laptop has Windows DVD Maker, and I'm trying to use it. However, every time I try and do it, my computer just fucking shuts off when it gets to about 4%. Any reason why it would do this?

It also does it whenever I try to play any kind of Online Games or watch videos. I just don't know what the damn problem is.

Okay so I figured I'd ask someone before I threw my Laptop across the fucking room. I have recently just discovered that my Laptop has Windows DVD Maker, and I'm trying to use it. However, every time I try and do it, my computer just fucking shuts off when it gets to about 4%. Any reason why it would do this?

It also does it whenever I try to play any kind of Online Games or watch videos. I just don't know what the damn problem is.

Could be a whole host of things.

1) Do you notice the back of the laptop getting really hot before it shuts off? If so, you have a issue with your cooling fan.

2) If you hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and open up your task manager, it will tell your CPU and Memory Usage...are either of those coming close to 90% or higher? If so, you don't have enough juice in the computer.

3) It's possible you have a driver conflict, or a video codec issue. If you don't notice anything out of the ordinary with the first two possible suggestions, then you need to make sure your video card and codecs are okay.

What are the specs on your computer? Specifically, I want to know:

Operating system (Windows...XP? Vista? 7?):
How much RAM:
How large is your hard drive:
Roughly hold old is the machine:
What's the machine brand name (HP, eMachine, Sony, etc):

I have a very odd problem with my PS3 that no one so far has been able to help me with.

When my PS3 tries to connect to the internet, it blows the router out (crashes the internet, no idea on the actual name for this). I have to power cycle the router to make it come back on. I have the recommended router for the ps3 (linksys). I have tried both wireless and wired connections and both blow out the router. I prefer wireless.
Here are the three most popular suggestions as to why my ps3 has a problem.
1. IP Address conflict - This is the one they say the most. But my Wii, Ipod, computers, and psp can all be on at the same time, with no problems.
2. Update router/PS3 - They are both up to date.
3. Weak Signal - I have great signal.

But the most important thing here is, why does it blow out the router?

I have a very odd problem with my PS3 that no one so far has been able to help me with.

When my PS3 tries to connect to the internet, it blows the router out (crashes the internet, no idea on the actual name for this). I have to power cycle the router to make it come back on. I have the recommended router for the ps3 (linksys). I have tried both wireless and wired connections and both blow out the router. I prefer wireless.
Here are the three most popular suggestions as to why my ps3 has a problem.
1. IP Address conflict - This is the one they say the most. But my Wii, Ipod, computers, and psp can all be on at the same time, with no problems.
It can still be an IP conflict, but I wouldn't think it would effect all of your wireless devices, just the one it's conflicting with.

2. Update router/PS3 - They are both up to date.
Could be a faulty router. What model of Linksys router do you have? How old is it?

3. Weak Signal - I have great signal.
Whoever told you that might be the problem doesn't know what they're talking about.

But the most important thing here is, why does it blow out the router?
Several different possibilities. My guess, knowing only what you've told me, would have to do with your network settings on the PS3, and possibly the UPnP setting on the router. For PS3, I'm pretty certain the UPnP setting needs to be enabled on the router, and without looking at the network settings for the PS3 (meaning I don't know what options there are), you need to make sure your PS3 is not acting as a DHCP server. Also, if you think it may be a IP Address conflict, try manually setting your PS3 network settings and giving your PS3 a static IP, one that's not being used on the network. To find your subnet mask and your default gateway, you'll need to get on your computer and (assuming you have a Windows operating system) go to the Command Prompt and typing "ipconfig". It should give you your subnet mask and gateway, which with a Linksys router will probably be a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1 unless someone's changed the settings.

I'd first start with UPnP, and then go from there.

I dont have the internet at home yet and iam buying a prepaid internet modem, one of those where u recharge like $20 or $30 etc.. So what i want to know is will i be able to play online ps3 with this modem and how will i need to do it? Will it do it wireless or will i need to buy a ethernet cable? Also how expensive will it be, like it wont take all my credit in an hour? Thankyou very much...

I dont have the internet at home yet and iam buying a prepaid internet modem, one of those where u recharge like $20 or $30 etc.. So what i want to know is will i be able to play online ps3 with this modem and how will i need to do it? Will it do it wireless or will i need to buy a ethernet cable? Also how expensive will it be, like it wont take all my credit in an hour? Thankyou very much...

It all depends on what hardware you get and your pricing plan. You need to show us what you're getting, and then we can help you more.

Telstra pre-paid wireless broadband, it runs on the telstra next g network. i plan on recharging $40 which will give me 1GB to use, i will need to use this for homework also.

How much data will i need in your opinnion?

No idea, really. I'm sure different games require different bandwidth limits. But you don't really want to drop $40 a month just to play an hours worth of Call of Duty, do you? You can get so much more use out of that bandwidth than Internet gaming.

Main reason i want internet really, i need internet for home work tho, and for i guess ebay and wrestlezone, but if i have a bit for homework ill use the rest for online gaming, ive been wanting to do that for years..

Main reason i want internet really, i need internet for home work tho, and for i guess ebay and wrestlezone, but if i have a bit for homework ill use the rest for online gaming, ive been wanting to do that for years..
http://www.robgroove.com/robgrooves...log/how-much-bandwidth-does-the-ps3-use/1110/

There's an article about PS3 net usage, and I can't imagine Xbox being much different. You can always drop the money on it, and play until you hit your Internet cap, and see how long it took.

Thanks a heap sly!

Um, how many mb make a gb, im not real smart when it comes to this stuff.

Yea, when u buy the modem you get 1GB included so ill try a cod match with that and see how far it gets me, i have a mate that lives 6 hours away so even if i can have a match with him every now and then itd be good.

Thanks a heap sly!

Yea, when u buy the modem you get 1GB included so ill try a cod match with that and see how far it gets me, i have a mate that lives 6 hours away so even if i can have a match with him every now and then itd be good.

1000 KB = 1 MB

1000 MB = 1 GB

1000 GB = 1 TB

Okay I just got back from work and I had to post here so someone could hopefully help me.

I was changing into my uniform in the staff washroom and I flung my phone in the toilet. When I heard the noise I looked around and I saw my Samsung SPH-m230 in the toilet.

I quickly grabbed it out and I removed the back cover and the battery and put it in my bag and left it in there for my shift.

When I got off work I put the battery in and turned it on and the Samsung logo comes on the screen and then it flickers. So I took the battery out and I'm just letting it sit here on my desk.

I'm really hoping it can be fixed easily seeing as how I bought a $100 prepaid card for it in January 2011.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Okay I just got back from work and I had to post here so someone could hopefully help me.

I was changing into my uniform in the staff washroom and I flung my phone in the toilet. When I heard the noise I looked around and I saw my Samsung SPH-m230 in the toilet.

I quickly grabbed it out and I removed the back cover and the battery and put it in my bag and left it in there for my shift.

When I got off work I put the battery in and turned it on and the Samsung logo comes on the screen and then it flickers. So I took the battery out and I'm just letting it sit here on my desk.

I'm really hoping it can be fixed easily seeing as how I bought a $100 prepaid card for it in January 2011.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Most likely, if you plugged in the battery and turned the phone on while it was still wet, you ruined any chance of that phone ever working again. There's really nothing anyone on here can do, you'll have to take it to a store and see what the status is.

In the future, open the phone up as much as you can, let it dry as long as possible before trying to start the phone. But my guess is your phone is shot. Sorry.

Thanks a heap sly!

Hey, don't know if this is too late to be of use to you, but my brother used to use a 3g wifi dongle to do his xbox live and a little browsing. 1gig will easily last you a week or two on xbox live if you're only gaming, as that tends to use about 90 k/sec altogether, however, if you want to browse the web, download updates and DLC, or even watch youtube vids you'll find that that bandwidth gets eaten up extremely quickly.

I'm having some issues with my laptop. It shuts down abruptly. Not really the problem for me. The real problem is pinpointing the cause in order to see if I can solve it. The computer shuts down if I am watching any form of video or when I access certain parts of the hard drive. When it's a video, it generally happens after a while. mostly when it's a non-Youtube player. Though recent;y it started to happen when using the laptop's installed media players like VLC. Also when accessing a certain part of the hard drive it also shuts down because that part is damaged. Because of it, it was split into 2 parts.

The question I have is if the reason it shuts down when playing a video is either because the video card is too damaged (it is indeed damaged, but I don't know how bad), the computer accesses a damaged portion of the hard drive or it's simply an issue with the power. If it's the video card, then I can't fix it due to it being irreplaceable. But I don't know if I can do something about the hard drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back