The Streak: How Will You Feel If It Ends?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Since we now how Taker will face Punk at WrestleMania, I've noticed that some people become almost hostile at the notion of CM Punk ending the streak. Taker's streak has become something that, dare I say, is almost sacred in the eyes of some in a profession where very few things are considered sacred.

A few years ago, I was someone who was vehemently opposed to WWE ending the streak. It was part of, again, dare I say, wrestling lore and was something that was completely unique. Like many great happenings in wrestling, it came about by accident rather than some grand design of a promoter's booking office.

However, my mind has started to change over the past several months when I consider both the facts of wrestling and the facts of life. The Undertaker is getting older. He'll turn 48 years of age before the end of this month, which is still relatively young in the grand scheme of life, but not for wrestling. Mark Calaway is also someone that is said to be racked with pain and a body that has all but given out with the wear & tear of a quarter+ century wrestling career brings. He's had so many injury issues that there've been serious doubts these past few WMs that Taker would ever be able to compete again. I have to realistically wonder if this is really Taker's last round up. I know that lots of people are talking about WM 30 and how that would be a grand place to end it. That might be true but even if the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak.

Since Paul Bearer's death was announced, it's been the major buzz of the day. PWTorch.com ran an excerpt from an interview the site conducted with him in August of last year:

"C.M. Punk is a class act, and he's got it. I didn't meet Punk until I went back for that six-month run (2010-2011). I had watched him on television, of course, but I had never met him in-person before. I'll never forget myself, Undertaker, Big Show, and a couple of other guys standing over in the corner just shooting the breeze. C.M. Punk came walking by and Taker says, 'Percy, have you ever met Punk?' I said, 'No, I haven't.' Taker called him over there and he's very, very respectful to our business and to me for having never met me before. Taker introduced me to him and Taker's exact words to me were: 'Punk - he's one of us.' That was how I was introduced to C.M. Punk by The Undertaker. For him to say that about a talent, that just means everything in the world. And to say, 'He's one of us,' that just meant something to that little group that was there."

It sounds as though Taker respects Punk as a person and as a professional. If the streak does end, I personally believe that it will be ended by someone Taker personally endorses. Since this might realistically be Taker's last rodeo, it's not hard for me to imagine Punk ending it.

So how would you feel if the streak did end, whether it be this year or next year or the year after, etc.?

Would you be fine with it either way?

Are you opposed to it no matter what?

Would you be fine with it if Taker put over another legend to end the streak?

Would you be fine with it if Taker put over a young guy to end the streak?

That's a brilliant interview clip. I'm so happy you posted that as I'm always thrilled to see Punk being respected by a major WWE icon like Taker. As much as Punk's done in the business, having been a fan since his pre-WWE days means I still look at such things as major victories. Brilliant quote.

When it comes to the idea of the streak ending, I whole-heartedly endorse it. I feel nothing in wrestling is sacred, that everything is a tool that can be used to build to the next thing. The fact that the streak is viewed with any sort of reverence simply speaks to the fact that WWE has built up an extremely effective tool. And I want to see it used. I want to see everyone who's been worked into believing it's a huge deal be thoroughly gutted when Taker loses at a WrestleMania.

That said, I expect to see it remain intact. And I've learned to live with that too. No reason getting upset. It's just fake wrestling.

Regarding the question of Taker putting over a legend or a young guy, it makes no difference for me. Taker losing to another legend means it'll be the epic result to another clash of the titans style match, which I certainly won't mind. Taker losing to a young guy will also open a lot of interesting possibilities going forward. I'm fine with either of those options.

I'd love for it to be Punk though, him being my favourite wrestler and all. And really, Taker's long seemed like a guy who has a lot of respect for men of Punk's ilk, the HBKs and Angles and Flairs of the world, the in-ring performers with the greatest reputations. As much I've seen Cena talked about the man Taker ought to lose the streak to, I don't have trouble imagining Taker prefering Punk.

tl;dr: I want to see it end. Doesn't matter to who. Punk being my favourite wrestler, I hope it's him.

I've always been one that said that I was fine with the Streak ending as long as it ended with the right person. IMO, the Streak as to end to someone that has something to gain from it. If it had have ended with either HBK or HHH, that would've been a mistake. Whoever ends the Streak is going to have one hell of a wave of momentum to ride. Neither HBK nor HHH could've rode that wave, so I think that it would be a mistake to end the Streak with any sort of legend.

CM Punk is by far the top heel in the WWE right now and the #2 guy behind John Cena. An argument could definitely be made that he wouldn't have much to gain with ending the Streak either. I, however, believe that it would give Punk that wave of momentum to ride for the next few years. Much like how Jericho always brings up the fact that he beat both The Rock and Austin on the same night to become the first ever WWE Undisputed Champion; Punk could always bring up the fact that he ended the Streak and it would be something that could benefit his career for years to come. He's a bad guy now, but could you imagine the heat and recognition from the fans he would get if he were to end the Streak? Cena would have to watch out because Punk would be well on his way to being the top dog in the yard.

With that said, however, I don't think that Punk will end the Streak. I would be fine with it if he did, but he won't. 21-0.

I no longer stand on one side or the other.

If Taker retires with the streak in tact, good for him. He doesn't need to put someone over at Mania. Just wrestling Taker at Mania is putting the other guy over. Leaving the streak in tact works for me.

Then again, if Taker loses at Mania, and it's his final match, I'm good with that, too. However, I'd hope it would be his final match. I wouldn't want to see him lose at Mania and have another match the next year. Wouldn't feel right.

I won't mind if the streak ends. At the end of the day it is fake wrestling. The Undertaker has been booked for he last 9/10 Mania's with the purpose of maintaining the streak. I get that it is an incredible achievement but if Vince McMahon wanted it to end than it would.

I hold the sentimental value of the streak highly; perhaps if the streak didn't exist he would have had more title reigns. If/When the streak ends it needs to be someone worth it. Not a legend but someone younger. Not to "pass the torch" but to give that wrestler something extra to brag about and add to his character. To be honest, in what context does the streak get mentioned when Take retires? Once/Twice a year. If a full-time wrestler ends the streak that it can get mentioned twice every single week. Why should the streak die with the Undertaker. Let someone else use it to further their career.

Punk would be a good choice. He is the "best in the world" and it makes sense for him to end the streak. A few years ago I was adamant that The Miz should end the streak. This may be insulting to many but my reasoning still remains. Ziggler/Barrett would be other options. It could make a whole career. If one of these guys become the face of the company this is the kinda big moment that is important if they are to become legends. Such as Jericho and beating the Rock and Austin in the same night to become the first ever undisputed champion.

So how would you feel if the streak did end, whether it be this year or next year or the year after, etc.?
I think I would be a little upset, but eventually, I’ll get over it. It will be similar to when a Professional Sports Team from Philadelphia makes it to the Championship and loses. It’ll bother me for a week and then something else will come along to take my interest away.

I wouldn’t be fine with it at first and then I wouldn’t care later on.

Yes.

No.

No.

If you want to give CM Punk the rub of a lifetime, then let CM Punk be Undertaker’s LAST WM opponent. That’s enough of a rub in my opinion. No need to ruin a great thing.

You know, if you asked me this 3 years ago when I really thought the streak was in jeopardy for Michaels/Taker 2 at WM 26 I would tell you no way. I want to see it go to 20-0.

Now with Punk in the picture I can come to terms with what ever the outcome may be, and that's not because he's on my avatar and I've been a fan of his for over 10 yrs. He may not necessarily end it this year but who knows, he may get another shot at it next year and could succeed retiring taker. This match has all the possibilities to be match of the night. No other young talent on the current roster can get that kind of rub now. Perhaps maybe - and I'm sorry to say for the haters - the company man John Cena can probably also pull it off. It's a great way to turn him heel that a lot have been hoping for. Hell it's enough to turn Santa Clause or Jesus Christ heel. lol But when you look at the current young guys on the roster they're no where as nearly invested to be that up and comer guy to end the streak. There were talks that Ted Dibiase Jr would be the one. I have a better chance in ending the streak then Ted. Wade Barrett would be good but he actually needs a year or 2 to be built up properly and I don't see it happening because Taker may be retired by then. Miz is also undefeated at Wrestlemania but I mean he hasn't been relevant since he lost the WWE Championship. Dolph Ziggler can't even successfully cash in his briefcase and I don't know where they're going with this losing streak he's been on lately. Personally I don't care. Ziggles does nothing for me. The only choices would be Punk, Cena or even Brock Lesnar. They're not as young as the others I've mentioned, but they're not close to retirement yet. However with all the years spent in growing within the organization has made them great candidates. Frankly it would be hard to invest in a young up and comer to end the streak when you would have no idea where the future lies for them. Look at the title runs Miz and Swagger got and afterwards.

If a legend were to end the streak only one guy can pull it off and that's the Rock. He's beaten Hogan at the grand stage and even Cena. To have him be the one to end the Undertaker's streak would be something.

With all that aside I will still be happy if Undertaker points to the tron after the match and it says 21-0. Hell I'll still be happy if he were to retire with the streak intact but I can also come to terms if the streak were to end it should be with the right person.

I just don't care one way or the other anymore. If he goes out with the streak in tact, good for him. He's earned it. If he does lose, then that's fine too. Michaels and Flair went out with losses, it doesn't hurt his legacy. I think if they do decide to end it though, it shouldn't be to a part-time performer, e.g.Rock or Lesnar.

Nothing is forever, and all good things must come to an end someday, so if the streak ends, I won't be upset. When Taker faced off against Michaels at Mania 25, I thought it could be over that night, because HBK took Taker to the limit.

But when Taker fought Triple H at Mania 27, I believed it was over. Taker's selling was just amazing in that match. I immediately inched to the edge of my seat, when Taker reached up to choke Triple H towards the end, and Triple H countered by simply shaking his head, and tossing Taker's hand aside. "This is it! The streak's over!" I was convinced, and when Undertaker kicked out of that Tombstone, I was in legit shock. I imagine I'll have the same feelings if Taker finds himself in a similar scenario during his match with Punk.

Taker hasn't been the dominant and unstoppable force in his past Mania matches. No, he was the guy, who did just enough to survive at 27. And last year, he had to prove he can still be the man, and not win with a cheap/close-call victory. Storyline wise and in real life, Taker isn't invincible anymore, and you have to believe in the possibility of WWE setting up Taker's farewell match in the near future.

Appreciation. I already appreciate the history behind it and I will appreciate the finality of his defeat and the end of The Undertaker. The same feeling I got when Michaels hung it up and Flair "kind of" hung it up. It is a story with an end. Kind of like Rocky Balboa but nothing like Rocky V.

If UT wants to go out with a win that's fine too as long as he makes me believe he urned (get "earned" "urned") the victory. I don't think he should but only Vince and UT should have the power to make that call.

Putting Punk over in this way makes sense. Andre put Hogan over at WM III with the body slam as much as his victory. Punk is no Hogan but I'd put the meaning of The Streak up there with slamming Andre. Someone deserves the chance to get the accolade of ending something so unique and special in pro wrestling. Those accomplishments are few and far between in pro wrestling. Punk deserves it and will make more out of it than anyone else active today.

I also appreciate that the end of The Streak and The UT, like the retirement of Michaels will open the door for new guys to build streaks and start to claim that are today's Mr. Wrestlemania. However in the end I will miss UT as a performer. He's been terrific.

I would be fine if the streak ended. The streak has been a great storyline this past decade and gives us that co-main event at Wrestlemania which we all enjoy. Someone said it earlier though, nothing in wrestling is sacred and the person who breaks the streak will forever live in immortality.

Which leads me to my next point, I don't think it should be a legend (Triple H, HBK, Brock, The Rock, Jericho) who breaks the streak. They have nothing to gain from it.

I also don't think it should be used to put over a young guy because if that guy breaks the streak but flames out and does not reach a great level of success, then it wasn't worth it. It's too risky.

I think it should be a current established star. CM Punk, John Cena, Randy Orton, or maybe even Sheamus. Guys that by doing that, they will be launched to a level of all out greatness. Guys that have accomplished many things in the WWE, but by doing that, it will give them a legendary status.

I would also be okay if Undertaker kept the streak. It is a part of his legacy. I'm just amazed though that this is Wrestlemania 29, and Undertaker has been a part of 20 of them and soon to be 21. To me, Undertaker is Mr. Wrestelmania.

I'm torn right the middle on if the streak should end or not.

on one hand (supporting it) a Super Star retiring undefeated at Wrestlemania would be unheard of, historic and pretty awesome. Whatever it ends up being, that many wins at WM over such big names (even multiple times) is very impressive

as for ending the streak, other posters have gotten at what I'll say, but think of the kind of push it does for whoever ends the streak. said above me, but it would launch that guy to a level of greatness.

right CM Punk could really use it. He loses the title to The Rock, loses the rematch for the title at Elimination Chamber and then loses to Cena

what better way to have Punk bounce back than end the WM Streak of Undertaker?

all that said CM Punk is probably 90% likely to lose, but if someone were to end it, he wouldn't be a terrible option

**accomplishments aside, I don't see why Cena is an option, does he really need the rub? Cena can headline a PPV pretty consistently without having the title, and he's already basically the center of attention for the WWE what does he really gain from ending Taker's streak? As it sits now Cena's already likely to get his 11th WWE title reign.

but I keep thinking back to what Triple H said last year about Taker losing his streak being "bad for business" I mean lets face it, the creative team is lacking in creativity and already running back the same main event from last years WM: not to mention Brock Lesnar-Triple H which happened @ SS

so if the Taker loses to Punk, as another Poster said, you can't have a streak match going forward and streak aside, who here seriously sees Taker competing at WM 30, if he were to lose vs Punk?

Taker losing his streak makes it harder for the creative team going forward.

Until Taker is 100% positive that he is done with wrestling, ending the streak IS bad for business. While it is intact, it's a WM selling point and something to build around. The minute he loses it, his career is, for all intents and purposes, done. His character doesn't lend itself to a secondary support role in the manner that a Flair or someone of his ilk does. I have no problem with it either way, as long as it is well executed and makes sense. I don't particularly care to see a broken down Taker wheeled out for the next 10 Manias just to perpetuate the streak, nor do I want to see it broken by a undeserving person, just for the sake of the rub (Ryback, etc). Punk or Cena could do it and perhaps Sheamus and it would work. Ziggler is on the horizon for it, but he hasn't quite taken that next step. If Taker can stay healthy enough for a few more years run, then Bryan and the Shield guys might prove worthy, but it remains to be seen. In conclusion, as long as it is sensibly booked and propels the story, I'm fine with it.

I am a huge Taker fan and have been for years. He is my all-time favorite wrestler ever. But with that being said, I would be perfectly fine with the streak ending so long as it's done by the right person. Besides Taker, Punk is my favorite current and active wrestler and is someone I could see ending the streak. Think about it, even after 434 days of holding the title, he is still short of that level of greatness achieved by Hogan, Rock, Austin, and Cena. If he were to end the streak, he would instantly be propelled to the heights of those men and possibly beyond. His name would live forever in the the memories of fans around the world as the man that ended the greatest streak in sports. But with that being said, if Taker is prepared to pull the trigger on the streak, then creative needs to be prepared because right now, Taker's streak is the selling point for WM. If it's ended, then you have to not only assume that Taker is done, but that you'll have to find a new selling point. Creative will actually have to think for a change. Can they do it? By this time next year, we may be finding out. But if the streak remains intact I will be okay with that as well. Either way, Taker's name lives forever.

Creative will actually have to think for a change. Can they do it?

which is why I think the safe bet is on Taker beating Punk and carrying the streak into WM 30 ... to likely go against John Cena (which has already been pretty heavily discussed/rumored at this point)

but addressing the other issue, of the WWE losing Taker's streak, and marketing appeal .. what'll they replace it with? here's some ideas

1. Battle Royal's have been pretty popular in past WM's: from gimmick, Tag-Team, Hardcore, to inter promotional (seems the more popular). Worried it'll get stale? Have a different theme every year, and alternate it

want to highlight the great tag teams? Tag-Team battle Royal it up! it's been a while since they've had one, and I still have WM 14's Tag Team battle royal (won by a returning LOD) in my memory banks

or if the mid card title scene gets stale, have a battle Royal early on at WM with the winner getting a crack at the Intercontinental Belt later on in the show.

2. Since they removed Money in the Bank from WM and moved it to it's own PPV, as a specialty match why not bring back the King of The Ring, and have the Semi's as well as Finals on Wrestlemania?

if King of The Ring is a bit outdated ... make up a new Tournament concept.

Wrestlemania is hands down the biggest PPV of the year for the WWE, but IMO it wouldn't hurt to push the envelope a bit more.

and adding a yearly battle Royal, or the Semi and Finals to a tournament makes the booking a bit easier for future Wrestlemania's

What I love about pro wrestling (or used to love) is the unpredictable nature. Some of my fondest moments growing up as a kid watching this was when something happened that you didnt expect. That "Oh my god" moment that you and your friends will talk about for years.

Thats whats missing today. The realism and idea that "anything can happen." I know this isnt a real sport, but it was more fun to watch when they treated it as one.

Instead they come up with storylines, build it up and TRY and make you believe...when in fact deep down you know whats going to happen. Thats the Undertakers streak storyline in a nutshell.

The day Vince decides to pull a fast one and end the streak will be a glorious day. I understand Takers Mania streak is a big seller of the show...but they HAVE to end it..,at least his final match.

Dont kid yourselves... The Streak dvd will still sell like hotcakes...and IMO would make it more realistic if he lost the last one.

Just my $.02

I remember the match against HBK at Mania 25, I was watching this match with my gf at the time and my brother, man I was going to have a heart attack that night. It was the first time that I was really unsure if the streak was going to continue. At some point I thought that HBK was going to ended it, it felt really bittersweet.

If the streak ends (with Punk or someone else) I would be shocked at first, but at the end like most of angles in the WWE, I wouldn't have a problem.

You have to look at it this way. If the streak ended would anyone look at Undertaker any differently.

I mean Undertaker's been going for over twenty years, has won numerous titles, had several memorable fueds and been one of the most popular wrestlers in WWE (heck any company) When push comes to shove the streak isn't the be all and end all of Undertaker, sure it's a key part of his mythos but it's not the only thing he has.

As to who would beat him is a different matter. Becuase if it's an up and coming guy that could quickly be the only defining thing about them 'I beat Undertaker at Wrestlemania' and they may not have anything else to show for it thus becoming a one trick pony. Whereas if it was someone established it would still be 'I beat Undertaker at Wrestlemania' but they'd have other accolades as well that it wouldn't be as big of a deal unlike an up and comer.

I was pretty ready for it to end last year. I really thought they had the perfect storyline to do it. Undertaker was old, worn down, and was going to keep coming back and defending the streak until it killed him. For his own good more than anything else (or at least, at face value), Triple H was going to put him down - because it was good for business, and good for the Undertaker. Of course, as the storyline evolved, it became more about fueling Triple H's egomania, which was a nice undercurrent to run through the plot. All in all, though, I thought the ultimate storyline of the the second to last of a dying breed putting down the very last was a really great idea, and I was ready for it to end. And then it didn't, so, we're here now.

It's not really about who ends it, but if the storyline makes sense. Hence I was perfectly fine with Triple H, who has no need of further accolades, ending the streak. Punk's storyline is good, but less conducive to me being alright with the streak ending. This feud is absolutely 100% about Punk as an egomaniac, desperately trying to reassert his greatness after losing the physical proof of it. But at this point, the streak is something very valuable, and I feel like the right time to end it has past. Last year would have been the ideal time. Now, in this storyline...I just don't know.

I'd perhaps prefer Punk to lose and spend the year spiraling out of control, eventually totally losing it and getting kayfabe suspended. He could eventually come back, turn face, and declare his desire for redemption, which could only be achieved by beating his greatest demon - the Undertaker. In some ways it would be a little similar to what's currently happening to Cena and Rock, except Punk wouldn't be completely full of shit if they booked it correctly, and it would probably be awesome anyway.

I probably won't be torn up by it if it ends this year, but that's mostly because I'm a raging Punk nerd. But I will probably be a little emotionally confused, and I think rationally the right call is probably just to leave it be.

I also was ready for it to end last year. It seemed like it would have made the most sense with HBK and HHH both involved in a match with a worn down Taker. When Punk was champ I was hoping that he would carry the title to Mania and they would do a streak vs title streak match. In that instance I thought Punk should end it for sure. Now I am kind of on the fence if Punk should end it or not. I would think they would want the streak intact for Mania 30 if he is going to wrestle there. If not then I think it should end. I think it is too big of a thing to hand off to someone not to end it. I would be perfectly fine if it ended. Though if it stays intact I wouldn't be that upset either.

It's not really about who ends it, but if the storyline makes sense.

Agreed. Having the streak end would smack of realism. You've got a guy in his late 40s who has been through war after war over a long, long time. His body is shot. In real life, if the veteran hung around long past his expiration date, some young bull would come along and put a stop to whatever streak the old guy had going. (In boxing, Mike Tyson destroying an aged Larry Holmes comes to mind).

There's no problem with this scenario occurring in any sport.....except, possibly, pro wrestling. Since results are predetermined, there's a lot more chance the old guy's glorious chain of victories can continue until he's 98, if the powers-that-be demand it. (I'm picturing Mark Calaway defending his streak at WM80 in a "Wheelchair-in-a-Cell" match).

On the other hand, more reality has been injected into the field in recent years. I admired the way management had Ric Flair losing his last WWE match to Shawn Michaels. It was exactly the right way to handle things and given Flair's legendary status, one can appreciate his agreeing to job.

I wouldn't mind Undertaker hanging 'em up with a loss in his final match, although it's hard to believe the defeat would come to anyone but another legend. That's why the past two WM matches against Triple H were so great; we knew it was possible for 'Taker to lose to someone of Trips' caliber (although many of us still weren't really expecting it).

In that vein, I hope the loss doesn't come to C.M. Punk. I don't consider him to be anywhere near legendary status. The problem is that the company has been catering to Punk at every turn since he signed his new contract 1 1/2 years ago. I was pleased to see he would "allow" himself to be booked losing 3 consecutive PPV matches, yet wonder if the trade-off is that he end 'Taker's streak at WM. I suppose it depends on the degree of creative control Phil Brooks possesses.....and how big a hotshot he sees himself.

Personally, I'd like to see Undertaker win this year, then lose to John Cena at WM30. Yes, many of you would detest that scenario, but I see a loss to John Cena in his last match as a logical, realistic event. If 'Taker is to finally lose, it would have to be to the best.

Personally, I'd like to see Undertaker win this year, then lose to John Cena at WM30. Yes, many of you would detest that scenario, but I see a loss to John Cena in his last match as a logical, realistic event. If 'Taker is to finally lose, it would have to be to the best.

I understand where you're coming from, but I completely disagree.

Why waste, arguably, the biggest rub one could receive on an already made man such as John Cena? The only way that I could see that one working is if Cena was to become the monster heel that everyone wants him to become. The reason I don't want to see a face Cena end the Streak is because if a face Cena ends the Streak, or any face for that matter, the Streak would die.

Let me explain, say a face Cena were to end the Streak. Of course he would come out the next night and talk about how much of an honor it was to face the Undertaker and how it was a huge match a blah blah blah and that would be it. He wouldn't talk about the Streak very often after that. CM Punk, on the other hand, would bring it up just about every time he would cut a promo. Punk could use the victory to make his career even more successful then it is now. It would make him an even bigger heel than what he is now. What would Cena have to gain from the victory?

Thus why I say it could only really work if Cena was to become a heel.

I'll address a variety of points here.

1. I dunno about Triple H ending the streak being the right thing. As ever since he made that Taker losing being "bad for business" comment. Can't really take Triple H's intentions of trying to end the streak seriously. Since he kinda undercut himself. And what if Triple H did end the streak?

then what? Triple H goes back to his desk job helping run WWE.

2. Punk losing @ WM29 and going on a craze, getting suspended and etc as harthan suggests would be a great angle to play off. Punk really would show how the loss got to him effectively. So much that IMO it would put to shame this current Cena trying to get revenge angle on the Rock.

I mean come on, the best Cena could do last week was "I told everyone I was going to beat The Rock, and I failed to do it" PA-THETIC. Try harder John, that's lame.

Punk might not be legendary enough to take Undertaker's 0 at WM, but if we're using that criteria, same goes for Cena, who's far from legendary.

and last of all.

3. What's so "logical" about Cena being the one to end Taker's streak? I don't see it. Realistically though, 80-95% likelihood of it happening. if Cena-Taker is booked @ Mania Cena will win. John might be the #1 face at the moment, but I still don't put him in the leagues of Rock, Hogan, Austin and Bret Hart. Sorry not in my book.

**unless if Vince is absolutely hell bent on pushing Cena that much more. And pissed about the negative feedback from Rock-Cena 2 and really wants to rub it in the fans faces, he'll book Taker-Cena for WM XXX

and last of all, going forward, what does a Cena win over Taker do for storyline purposes?

Cena will just talk about the win over Taker, how breaking the streak meant so much to him and move on to his next over come the odds garbage.

Simply wrestling against Undertaker at Wrestlemania is already a quite nice rub, so ending the streak isn't as much as putting another guy over as it is about making a really memorable storyline for Taker's retirement.

And I don't see such a storyline coming out of CM Punk vs Undertaker, since there's really not much previous story between and it's already too close do WM to create a big one. Also, Punk current momentum, while still quite high, isn't as high as it should be for such an event.

Among active wrestlers, the only one I could see ending Taker's streak would be John Cena. Last year I could have listed Kane, when it looked like Kane was back as a monter heel, but now not anymore (not to bash his current face run, which is excellent).

Not that I would dislike it if he lost to someone without such a big name or storyline, but I just don't think that it would happen. I seriously thought he wouldn't wrestle anymore after last year, to be honest.

Personally, I don't care either way. If it ends, good, if it doesn't, good. Whatever happens, happens.

Yes.

Yes, under certain circumstances like putting over an older wrestler whose past their prime as a competitor.

No.

Yes! I'm perfectly fine if Punk ends the streak. I'd also endorse Barrett, Sheamus, Miz, Ziggler, & Orton, as possible streak enders if Taker does another Mania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back