The song that got you into...Rush

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
[youtube]JK1MTh_NcYY[/youtube]​

Rush is my dad's favorite band ever so growing Rush was playing a lot in my house but I didn't really get into them until I was about 12 years old whenI was going through my dad's CD collection and I saw the 2112 sitting there so I grabbed it and putit in my CD player. The first song is 20 minutes long so I skipped it and this song was next and as soon as it started I was hooked. Since then I've listened to every Rush album and bought a few myself. Geddy Lee is one of the best and most unique vocalists I've ever heard and Neil Pert is great on the drums. Everyone in the band loves what they do and that can really be felt through their music.​

Tom Sawyer is easily the most well-known(and arguably popular) song by Rush, but it wouldn't come close to topping my list, nor was it the song that got me into Rush. Rather, I went a different direction. Rush was certainly an acquired taste for me, as I didn't like them upon first listen.

[YOUTUBE]GTgnqlJ36Rs[/YOUTUBE]

One of my best friend's dad as a teenager was a huge Rush fan, and I was force fed a steady diet of the band as he drove us around. I couldn't stand Geddy Lee's voice, but the more I listened to them, the more one song stuck out. And it was this one. The lyrics and music were catchy, and Neil Peart's drumming on this song was fantastic. Im the type of person that if I really like a song, Ill ask for it to be replayed over and over again. I annoyed the crap out of my friend's dad one summer, but Closer to the Heart not only became my favorite Rush song, but one of my favorite songs at the time altogether. Rush isn't a band that I would go out of my way to see live, but they've definitely grown on me over time. This song is the reason why, and falls into my top ten songs of all time. Brilliant lyrics with beautiful music made for an epic song.

I have never really had much exposure to Rush, my Dad really doesnt like them for some reason.

After seeing the movie "I Love You Man" with Paul Rudd and Jason Segal, in which they discuss the greatness of Rush, and even end up going to a Rush gig, I downloaded a few of their tracks. They are not really my cup of tea, but "Tom Sawyer" is a good track, so I will go for that one as the 1st Rush track that I really liked.

Sorry I cannot be of more use in this thread Milenko!

My friend got me into Rush around 7th grade. He showed me a song on his zune called "Freewill" needless to say I thought they were awesome after I heard that. Then came along Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer of course and they got better.

Still though Rush is great just not a band I listen to as much anymore. Not sure why though. I saw them live my freshman year of high school and thought they were great. I just didn't know that many songs by them while my friend knew every word. Great band though

I don't know how to post YouTube videos on here, so I will just mention the Rush classic "The Trees.". Spectacular song. Then again, as a lifelong Rush fan and owner of every album they've put out, there's an endless list of such songs. I've also always been really partial to a song from their first album, in the pre-Neil Peart days, "In The Mood.". Kind of a Zeppelin sort of feel to it. As much as their sound has evolved over the years, they have consistently been at the top of my list of favorite artists and albums.

Does anyone have a list of some classic Rush songs that I need to hear. I feel a bit left out here, I am very surprised at myself that this is a band I have never really listened to!

I need to step up my game and get Rushed I think!

Any tips would be much appreciated haha

Does anyone have a list of some classic Rush songs that I need to hear. I feel a bit left out here, I am very surprised at myself that this is a band I have never really listened to!

I need to step up my game and get Rushed I think!

Any tips would be much appreciated haha

Just off the top of my head, here are a few suggestions you may want to check out:

Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ (instrumental)
Limelight
Subdivisions
La Villa Strangiato (also instrumental)
The Trees
Working Man
Freewill
Marathon
Mystic Rhythms
The Big Money
Fly By Night
Closer To The Heart
A Passage To Bangkok
Roll The Bones
Chemistry
Ciinderella Man
Finding My Way
New World Man
Time Stand Still
Turn The Page

That's just a sampling off the top of my head. There's plenty more out there as well. Check it out, you won't be disappointed. You'll find their style changes and evolves at several times over their extended time together.

Let me know what you think; if you liked them or not and if so, what era, what songs, etc.,

Just off the top of my head, here are a few suggestions you may want to check out:

Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ (instrumental)
Limelight
Subdivisions
La Villa Strangiato (also instrumental)
The Trees
Working Man
Freewill
Marathon
Mystic Rhythms
The Big Money
Fly By Night
Closer To The Heart
A Passage To Bangkok
Roll The Bones
Chemistry
Ciinderella Man
Finding My Way
New World Man
Time Stand Still
Turn The Page

That's just a sampling off the top of my head. There's plenty more out there as well. Check it out, you won't be disappointed. You'll find their style changes and evolves at several times over their extended time together.

Let me know what you think; if you liked them or not and if so, what era, what songs, etc.,

Thanks bro, will let you know once I have listened to them. I will try and d/l some of them over the weekend and have a listen.

I will send you some green rep for that, but I have given out too much over the last 24 hrs, so when I can rep again, I will send you some

Working Man. I'm almost ashamed to say it took Rock Band to get me to listen to Rush but from there I took over and now I love 2112 and Caress of Steel. I love the lyrics, they are so out there and like an adventure story. But back to Working Man, the three solos did it for me. I love songs that have long meandering solos to them so this song is a win in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back