• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

[The Official] National Rugby League Thread.

Final Form Snyper.

GOAT Human Being
For those who don't know the game. You. Are. Missing. Out.

It is something that we mammals can appreciate. Contact, skill and brutality. If a picture is worth a thousand words. A video must be worth a million...

[youtube]RpCBDg9xBW8[/youtube]

[youtube]EgfFRk-avpg[/youtube]

It is that good. A Game that embodies all attributes as an athlete. Strength, skill, cardio, co-ordination, agility and explosiveness. A game that blue collared people and upper class people all love because it is for everyone.

The Ladder as it stands:

1. St George Dragons
2. Melbourne Storm
3. Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
4. North Queensland Cowboy
5. Brisbane Broncos
6. New Zealand Warriors
7. Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
8. Wests Tigers
9. Newcastle Knights
10. South Sydney Rabbitohs
11. Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
12. Penrith Panthers
13. Parramatta Eels
14. Sydney Roosters
15. Gold Coast Titans
16. Canberra Raiders

Match to watch this week:

Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers at Campbelltown Stadium - Saturday 7:30pm

Can the tigers bounce back after the abysmal act that was their game last week. The Rabbitohs with early field possession and a quick play the ball were able to stabilize the Tigers defense. The Panthers are coming off a big upset win against Heavyweight contenders in the Broncos that is momentum that they would need coming into this game. They are the teams from out west and have a somewhat rivalry.

The teams need this win as much as a team can. If the Panthers can come into this game with the exact same start they had last week it will help them monumentally. This week they will be with strike players Michael Gordon who chances are will be out for the rest of the season and Michael Jennings who is on State of Origin duty.

The Tigers are unchanged from last week and need to regroup big time. they were major players in last years NRL season. They are a spectacular team on paper and on their day can put 50 points on anyone. With Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah firing this team is capable of doing some serious damage on the score board.

Teams are having byes (which is a week off)

- Brisbane Broncos
- Melbourne Storm
- Gold Coast Titans
- North Queensland Cowboys
- Manly Sea Eagles
- St. George Illawarra Dragons

It is that good. A Game that embodies all attributes as an athlete. Strength, skill, cardio, co-ordination, agility and explosiveness. A game that blue collared people and upper class people all love because it is for everyone.

Damn right it is that good, find me something better. This game is just packed full of excitement for everyone. You don't have to watch the sport every week to see how much skill these players have. With all the young talent coming up it can only get better. People like Benji set the crowd on fire with their amazing plays in the last moments of the game. You can never count Benji out until the game is stopped. It isn't just him however the Melbourne Storm three put on some of the best plays EVER seen in the game. Billy Slater has been the best full back in the game for the last couple of years. And keeps pulling out the most amazing stuff I have ever seen. A great game which everyone can enjoy.

The Ladder as it stands:

1. St George Dragons
2. Melbourne Storm
3. Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
4. North Queensland Cowboy
5. Brisbane Broncos
6. New Zealand Warriors
7. Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
8. Wests Tigers
9. Newcastle Knights
10. South Sydney Rabbitohs
11. Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
12. Penrith Panthers
13. Parramatta Eels
14. Sydney Roosters
15. Gold Coast Titans
16. Canberra Raiders

If you had asked me before the season started I wouldn't have picked the Raiders to be getting the wooden spoon. They had a fine run last year, getting to the finals I believe. A team full of young talent who just can't seem to get their act together on the field. They did however pull out the biggest upset this year last week against the Storm. Not many teams who have lost something like eight games in a row beat Melbourne. Not many teams who have won eight in a row beat Melbourne to be honest.

Now is it any surprise that the Dragons have the lead? No, you would be insane to even think that it would be any different than last year. Nothing has changed in their team. They are still the viper like unit. Wrapping around their team and just squeezing them until they pass out. Slowly at first but once the Dragons have you on the ropes, they fire like crazy. Great coach, with a great team. Their defense is solid, probably the hardest in the NRL. Multiple sets on their line, yet they keep strong. I think we have our back to back winners.

Not much to say on the ladder other than that to be honest. Teams like Melbourne are always very dangerous and will make a run to the minor premiership. After the mess up last year, I hope they can fire back with a run to the finals for my favourite team in the game. Then we have the Tigers who have the best offense in the game. Styles points anyone? If they counted it would be 100 to nothing every single game. Of course they don't but it does get the people on the edge of their seats.

Match to watch this week:

Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers at Campbelltown Stadium - Saturday 7:30pm

Can the tigers bounce back after the abysmal act that was their game last week. The Rabbitohs with early field possession and a quick play the ball were able to stabilize the Tigers defense. The Panthers are coming off a big upset win against Heavyweight contenders in the Broncos that is momentum that they would need coming into this game. They are the teams from out west and have a somewhat rivalry.

The teams need this win as much as a team can. If the Panthers can come into this game with the exact same start they had last week it will help them monumentally. This week they will be with strike players Michael Gordon who chances are will be out for the rest of the season and Michael Jennings who is on State of Origin duty.

The Tigers are unchanged from last week and need to regroup big time. they were major players in last years NRL season. They are a spectacular team on paper and on their day can put 50 points on anyone. With Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah firing this team is capable of doing some serious damage on the score board.

This is very simple, it is a must win for the Panthers. They have the news of Gus coming in and "saving" them from this terrible season. If the news of someone like Gus coming in doesn't get the blood pumping, you're in some big trouble. The Tigers on the other hand are always in a position to win a game. I don't care if they are down by twenty, never count them out. In the last moments Benji can do anything. This should be a good game, it will bring a decent crowd and get some viewers.

If I had to pick between them, going on past weeks. This must go to the Tigers just for them working so well. Their skill while in attack is amazing, same as their defense. I looking forward to seeing this game and the performance from the players who haven't been picked for Origin. You never know how they'll react to not being picked after trying.

Former Australian dual International Timana Tahu, has today confirmed he will be returning home to the Newcastle Knights after signing a 2 year contract commencing in 2012.
The 30 year old Central Charlestown Junior, currently sidelined with a torn pectoral muscle, is looking forward to his return to the Newcastle Knights.
"I am so excited about coming home to the Knights at a time when the club has commenced an exciting era with private ownership, a variety of new faces, a new stadium and the arrival of Wayne Bennett.
"My family is based in Newcastle and it will be a great feeling to again run out to a sea of red and blue in front of my family and friends.
"I would like to thank the Penrith club, its coaches and my team-mates for their support and wish them all the best for the future" Tahu concluded.
Incoming Knights coach Wayne Bennett, who has previously coached Tahu in the Australian Team, was instrumental in securing Tahu to ensure he finishes his career in the same blistering fashion it commenced with the Knights in 1999.
Tahu debuted with the Knights as an 18 year old and famously scored the match winning try in the 2001 NRL Grand Final.
He was the Knights leading try scorer in 2000, 2001 and 2002 having scored 82 tries for the club. Timana also made 11 State of Origins, 5 Kangaroo and 4 Wallaby appearances.

This must come at the expense of Junior Sau. Who has found some form when he isnt injured. This must all but end the saga of signing Darius Boyd.

Timana is aging in football years and his body is starting to show the rigors of this game. He is currently sidelined for the season and honestly hasnt shown the form at Penrith that would warrant them to have re signed him. Hopefully this is a new begining for him and he finally comes back to the form that has given him his representitive jumpers.

Not to mention the Knights could be within a day or two of signing the Novocastrian legend in Danny Buderus. Who will bring passion back into the Blue and Red jersey that has sorely missed it. But with great news come bad. With this basically telling Isaac De Gois that his services are no longer needed at Newcastle.

With all of the hype around signing a new owner in Nathan Tinkler. Signing THE Supercoach in Wayne Bennett and the return of local product in Kade Snowden and Danny Buderus. Does this spell a new begining for the once proud team?

NSW Origin great Andrew Johns has been impersonating Queensland linchpin Johnathan Thurston in an attempt to tighten the Blues' defence heading into State of Origin I.
Johns was heavily involved in putting the Blues through their paces at training on Thursday, slotting in at halfback to run attacking plays as the NSW side focused on defensive structures.
The former champion halfback returned to the Blues fold for the first time since the Timana Tahu racism row in the lead-up to Origin II last year.
Coincidentally, it came on the day Tahu's return to both players' former club Newcastle was announced.
Johns said Blues coach Ricky Stuart had been speaking to him for several weeks about simulating the attacking runs of Thurston and Queensland five-eighth Darren Lockyer.
"I'm just coming to do some work with the halves, just for today, and do a bit of stuff on what Johnathan Thurston and Darren Lockyer do," Johns earlier told the Austereo network.
"(I just thought I'd) come in and just (be) a different set of eyes on what Thurston and Lockyer do and maybe (have) some advice for the halves."
Johns said he had borrowed software from the NRL, used to analyse the strengths and weaknesses of individual players.
"It's phenomenal," he said. "You just put in Johnathan Thurston, all his runs, or Lockyer, all his passes this year, and you go through 400 runs or passes."
The Blues' legend could easily have been mistaken for one of the current players, as he stood at first receiver and deftly offloaded to support including a wide-eyed NSW No.7 Mitchell Pearce.
The Blues' right edge, which includes Maroons target Jamie Soward, was the defensive focus and Johns backed their impressive record for St George Illawarra.
"The players who on their side are defending Thurston are going to be (Mark) Gasnier and Beau Scott," Johns said.
"They've done a pretty good job this year defensively.
"It's just coming in and having a bit of a chat to those guys defending there."
Johns was given the green light to return to the Blues fold by NSW Rugby League boss Geoff Carr, saying he had done his time for a racial slur against Maroons centre Greg Inglis.
Johns was the Blues' saviour in their last series win, when Stuart was at the helm in 2005, making a stunning comeback from a broken jaw after the Blues had been 1-0 down.
Centre Gasnier is the only current player to have been part of that series.
"Joey's football knowledge is second to none," Gasnier said.
"He's great in that regard and he gives a lot of the younger guys confidence, especially in the halves, so he's welcome back from our point of view."
Gasnier, whose partner is due to give birth to the couple's first child any day, said the absence of Test centres Inglis and Justin Hodges from the Maroons side meant little for Wednesday night's Suncorp Stadium showdown.
"They're too good a team," he said.
"While people might see it as a bit of a deficiency in the centres, I don't.
"I think they'll come in and really step up to the mark."

The one thing that cant be trained is Johnaton Thurston's broken play advantage. He is the best at reading defense and within seconds can play the ball to either side of the field. He almost plays as if he doesnt know what he is going to do sometimes. Now how in the blue hell do you train against someone like that?

Thurston always has a target on his chest. It's not only because of hs size, it is also because of his stature within the game. He is without a doubt a top 5 player (along side Cameron Smth, Darren Lockyer, Billy Slater and Benji Marshall ). He has the ability to turn a game on it's head with a single play.

The Blues' hard men have rallied behind Jamie Soward, promising to fight fire with fire after Queensland declared the playmaker a target in his State of Origin debut.
The Maroons reportedly plan to give St George Illawarra five eighth Soward's defence a massive test at Suncorp Stadium on Wednesday night, with suggestions his selection is a risk.
The NSW forwards are having none of it, backing Soward and declaring they will give as much back as the powerful Queensland big men dish out.
"He can handle himself, I think he's proved that in club footy," prop Kade Snowden said.
"But if the big fellas want to run at him I'll do everything I can to help him out.
"We'll give them just as much as they give us."
The 26-year-old Soward has expressed confidence that his so-called "speed hump" days are well behind him ahead of his long-awaited Origin debut.
Under Wayne Bennett, St George Illawarra have made suffocating defence their hallmark and Soward has been far from disgraced by missing 19 tackles in nine NRL games this year.
Dragons and NSW team-mates Mark Gasnier and Beau Scott, who defend alongside Soward on the right side, have missed 15 and 19 respectively.
St George Illawarra and Blues utility forward Dean Young said players wanted to play alongside Soward.
"I've got no doubt he can handle anything he gets thrown at him," Young said.
"I'm sure he'll do a wonderful job on Wednesday and he deserves his position as much as anyone.
"I can't wait to be playing with him."
The Blues might have been relieved to hear Queensland's left side will be without champion centre Greg Inglis, the man who earned Soward his old nickname by famously running over the top of him two years ago.
He has been replaced by Melbourne Storm debutant Dane Nielson, although it is expected he will play on the right to allow Willie Tonga to move to his natural side and oppose Gasnier.
Young said the absence of Test centres Inglis and Justin Hodges from the Maroons outfit had not been discussed by Blues coach Ricky Stuart.

Jamie Soward has to realize that there is nowhere to hide when it is State Of Origin. He like Mitchell Pearce can expect to have Matt Scott, Ashley Harrison and Slamming Sam Thaiday running at him with every chance they get. He will be teested just like 25 others plays that will be on the field at any given time. He can be a liability and that is what Queensland will look to exploit.

In attack however he is a smart minded player who under Wayne Bennett has become a complete attacking player. He has a great long kicking game and speed to burn. Give him an inch and he will run a mile.

This must come at the expense of Junior Sau. Who has found some form when he isnt injured. This must all but end the saga of signing Darius Boyd.

Timana is aging in football years and his body is starting to show the rigors of this game. He is currently sidelined for the season and honestly hasnt shown the form at Penrith that would warrant them to have re signed him. Hopefully this is a new begining for him and he finally comes back to the form that has given him his representitive jumpers.

Not to mention the Knights could be within a day or two of signing the Novocastrian legend in Danny Buderus. Who will bring passion back into the Blue and Red jersey that has sorely missed it. But with great news come bad. With this basically telling Isaac De Gois that his services are no longer needed at Newcastle.

With all of the hype around signing a new owner in Nathan Tinkler. Signing THE Supercoach in Wayne Bennett and the return of local product in Kade Snowden and Danny Buderus. Does this spell a new begining for the once proud team?

I heard of this news this afternoon and it can do nothing but good for the Knights. Well at least the signing of everyone bar Timana in my mind. What I see as a problem is the fact Timana is getting old. He hasn't played each week for a very long time. When he was with Paramatta a couple of years ago he hardly played. He isn't in the condition or has just had injury after injury. Why sign someone like Timana when you could go a young talent to build up? Yeah Timana brings leadership and is a solid worker. His last game with Panthers was very good. But I fail to see great advantage they get from signing him. He walked out on State of Origin under a difficult situation, but he still left his team hanging. You don't do that, no matter what. People will think this is a great home coming, I see this as another pay day for Timana.

The part in bold is what I had not heard as of late. I knew they wanted him but didn't think anything of it. Now this is GREAT news for everyone. This guy is the heart and soul of Newcastle. With the exception of Andrew Johns, I don't know anyone who has showed more love for the club than Danny. I was able to be at his send off in Newcastle and it was a sad yet happy feeling. I would love to see this man of skill back in the real game. This is where he belongs and I hope we see a return of this fantastic player.

Tinkler has indeed done wonders for the club. I doubt anyone would say different. When the voting was happening I thought it would be crazy not to give him the job. He has the money to buy anyone he wants. With the update of the stadium you can see who much of a difference he is making. This club is getting new life for sure.

The one thing that cant be trained is Johnaton Thurston's broken play advantage. He is the best at reading defense and within seconds can play the ball to either side of the field. He almost plays as if he doesnt know what he is going to do sometimes. Now how in the blue hell do you train against someone like that?

Thurston always has a target on his chest. It's not only because of hs size, it is also because of his stature within the game. He is without a doubt a top 5 player (along side Cameron Smith, Darren Lockyer, Billy Slater and Benji Marshall ). He has the ability to turn a game on it's head with a single play.

I agree with you, Thurston is a great player. He is the best at reading plays and will be trouble for the Blues this year as always. Queensland have to go into Origin as the favourites, basically being the same team since 2006. Thurston is going to use everything in his bag to pull out a win this year and I doubt that the Blues will have anything to stop him. They haven't had a solid halves combination since Andrew Johns was in control. Until they get that straight, nothing will fall into place.

Jamie Soward has to realize that there is nowhere to hide when it is State Of Origin. He like Mitchell Pearce can expect to have Matt Scott, Ashley Harrison and Slamming Sam Thaiday running at him with every chance they get. He will be teested just like 25 others plays that will be on the field at any given time. He can be a liability and that is what Queensland will look to exploit.

In attack however he is a smart minded player who under Wayne Bennett has become a complete attacking player. He has a great long kicking game and speed to burn. Give him an inch and he will run a mile.

Again I agree with you. The problem for Soward is his defense. He can't tackle without help. You don't think Sam Thaiday is going to make a target of Soward? I sure as hell would. Sam can spot the weak tacklers and in Origin you can't be weak. Soward needs to step up and show that he deserves to be in the spot he has. So many people want this chance that only comes three times every year. Soward has to play well in attack and defense or someone might just call him a bus home.

If you had asked me before the season started I wouldn't have picked the Raiders to be getting the wooden spoon. They had a fine run last year, getting to the finals I believe. A team full of young talent who just can't seem to get their act together on the field. They did however pull out the biggest upset this year last week against the Storm. Not many teams who have lost something like eight games in a row beat Melbourne. Not many teams who have won eight in a row beat Melbourne to be honest.

I was as shocked as anyone. I could have been pushed over by a feather. Canberra I thought were going to be a force to be reckoned with. with singing like Brett White and Blake Ferguson, it was going to be a much better year than the previous. I'm also sort of surprised at how abysmal the Roosters have been. I'd say sort of because unlike last year, the luck isnt with them.

Now is it any surprise that the Dragons have the lead? No, you would be insane to even think that it would be any different than last year. Nothing has changed in their team. They are still the viper like unit. Wrapping around their team and just squeezing them until they pass out. Slowly at first but once the Dragons have you on the ropes, they fire like crazy. Great coach, with a great team. Their defense is solid, probably the hardest in the NRL. Multiple sets on their line, yet they keep strong. I think we have our back to back winners.

I honestly love their playing style. The battle of attrition is always going to be appealing in a sport like this. The way they break a team down with the very basic of plays is astounding. Darius Body is also another 5/8th on the field with the style he plays and has matured immensely under the wing of Wayne Bennett.

Not much to say on the ladder other than that to be honest. Teams like Melbourne are always very dangerous and will make a run to the minor premiership. After the mess up last year, I hope they can fire back with a run to the finals for my favourite team in the game. Then we have the Tigers who have the best offense in the game. Styles points anyone? If they counted it would be 100 to nothing every single game. Of course they don't but it does get the people on the edge of their seats.

After the way the players were treated last year. I hope that Melborne throws cake in all of the faces of the band wagon jumpers. the way that everyone banished the players and defamed them was ridiculous. I'm sure 90% of the players at the very least didnt know what the hell was going on there. The last thing the board wanted to see was having loose ends within the team that could spill the beans.

This is very simple, it is a must win for the Panthers. They have the news of Gus coming in and "saving" them from this terrible season. If the news of someone like Gus coming in doesn't get the blood pumping, you're in some big trouble. The Tigers on the other hand are always in a position to win a game. I don't care if they are down by twenty, never count them out. In the last moments Benji can do anything. This should be a good game, it will bring a decent crowd and get some viewers.

The thing is that this game is a must win for the Tigers. After the year they had last year they need to follow that will a decent follow up. The other thing is that because they have had a fair amount of injuries, for most of the year, the Tigers have been hamstrung. Now there are no more excuses. They're pretty much at full strength and infromt of the home crowd in what will be a packed out Campbelltown Stadium (Yeah C-town represent!!).

If I had to pick between them, going on past weeks. This must go to the Tigers just for them working so well. Their skill while in attack is amazing, same as their defense. I looking forward to seeing this game and the performance from the players who haven't been picked for Origin. You never know how they'll react to not being picked after trying.

I'm still abit up in the air with this game. Thats why it is so intriguing. At anytime either team can turn up and blaze a team by 30 plus points. Michael Gordon is a massive loss and will be missing for the Panthers for the rest of the year... but with Lachlan Coote finding his feet, we could still be in for a barn burner.

I heard of this news this afternoon and it can do nothing but good for the Knights. Well at least the signing of everyone bar Timana in my mind. What I see as a problem is the fact Timana is getting old. He hasn't played each week for a very long time. When he was with Paramatta a couple of years ago he hardly played. He isn't in the condition or has just had injury after injury. Why sign someone like Timana when you could go a young talent to build up? Yeah Timana brings leadership and is a solid worker. His last game with Panthers was very good. But I fail to see great advantage they get from signing him. He walked out on State of Origin under a difficult situation, but he still left his team hanging. You don't do that, no matter what. People will think this is a great home coming, I see this as another pay day for Timana.

At his age, the injury history and the fact that he can be quite ill disiplined when it comes to the heat of the battle. His return has come at the cost of an new and coming player who has alot more years left in the tank. Timana isn't consistent enough to be conbsidered a big buy. He did have a wonderful game against the Broncos on Friday night but he is known to sometimes justsit back and let the game play around him.

I'm with you on the State of Origin fiasco of last year. Timana had no right to leave that camp and left his brothers in blue hanging. That showed that he wasnt there for theteam but rather his own selfish reasons of getting paid extra to play that game. If he was annoyed he could have went straight to Craig Bellamy and told him about the incident. The way he handled it was just showing that his skin is as thick as a cigarette paper.

I also agree with you on this being nothing but a last ditch effort for a decent pay day. He knows that this chances are is his last football contract and wants the biggest offer out there. He must have forgotten that Panthers have stood by him since dya one and have been there for him when his injury prone body has faulted on him.

I knew they wanted him but didn't think anything of it. Now this is GREAT news for everyone. This guy is the heart and soul of Newcastle. With the exception of Andrew Johns, I don't know anyone who has showed more love for the club than Danny. I was able to be at his send off in Newcastle and it was a sad yet happy feeling. I would love to see this man of skill back in the real game. This is where he belongs and I hope we see a return of this fantastic player.

Danny is the soul (Andrew Johns was the heart) of Newcastle. The fans loved him and respected him the players idolized him. He is what is missing from the feel of the team.

Tinkler has indeed done wonders for the club. I doubt anyone would say different. When the voting was happening I thought it would be crazy not to give him the job. He has the money to buy anyone he wants. With the update of the stadium you can see who much of a difference he is making. This club is getting new life for sure.

With the money he is willing to spend. Reported to be $10,000,000 a year over 10 years. Is a new bgining for anyone. That money will financial set Newcastle and improve the standard of the program that the junior players are coming through. Nathan Tinkler is the Australian Santa Claus.

I agree with you, Thurston is a great player. He is the best at reading plays and will be trouble for the Blues this year as always. Queensland have to go into Origin as the favourites, basically being the same team since 2006. Thurston is going to use everything in his bag to pull out a win this year and I doubt that the Blues will have anything to stop him. They haven't had a solid halves combination since Andrew Johns was in control. Until they get that straight, nothing will fall into place.

The halves are usually chosen beind the Forward pack. Andrew Johns was an exception. He was first picked because of how he had the skill to adapt to the different circumstance of SOO. Andrew was an on field inspiration. The other 16 players wanted to play for him. He is an enigma that will never be replicated on the field. Regardless of his off field drama in the past. He will always be my second favorite player, behind THE Darren Lockyer.

Again I agree with you. The problem for Soward is his defense. He can't tackle without help. You don't think Sam Thaiday is going to make a target of Soward? I sure as hell would. Sam can spot the weak tacklers and in Origin you can't be weak. Soward needs to step up and show that he deserves to be in the spot he has. So many people want this chance that only comes three times every year. Soward has to play well in attack and defense or someone might just call him a bus home

Soward has always had the defense to exploit. He gets intimidated by the bigger men. Mentally he can be strong. He just hesitates alot when it comes to defense. Sam is like a Blood Hound. He will sniff around and find the week spot. He will be found wearing the number 6 jersey. Soward has to be willing to give his whole being into State of Origin. Otherwise he is just wasting this time, the fans time and the potential to have five-eigth to someone else. Sometimes Origin isn't about skill. It is about toughness and ability to stand by your team regardless of the conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back