The next 'old school' Raw should have an 'old skool' Royal Rumble

rge2010

Mid-Card Championship Winner
After the success of last years 'old skool' Raw I can see WWE revisiting this again in 2011. When was it held? November? Anyway, I think WWE should have a Royal Rumble in their 3 hour special.

20 'old school' Superstars coming in every 90 seconds and the winner gets a shot at the IC or US Belt at Wrestlemania 28. This should obviously be the main event and the participants should be kept secret. The event itself would last around 30 minutes plus time at the end. I really think having the winner challenge for the IC/US Belt would give the belt a much needed push and add a little prestige. WM28 also gets a gimmick match that actually means something.

Off the top of my head, the 20 'old school' Superstars I would like to see are:

Rowdy Roddy Piper
Superfly Jimmy Snuka
Honky Tonk Man
Sargeant Slaughter
American Dream Dusty Rhodes
Tatanka
Hacksaw Jim Duggan
The Model Rick Martel
Damian Demento
Tito Santana
Greg The Hammer Valentine
Ricky The Dragon Steamboat
The Mountie
L.O.D Animal
Repo Man
Brutus Beefcake
I.R.S
Vader
Jim The Anvil Neidhart
Sid Justice (WINNER)

I think they are pretty realistic. All from the 80s and early 90s, no TNA talent and all are on pretty good terms with WWE or at least would appreciate making a one off appearence!

That is a good idea but there may be a problem with the participants though. are they in any shape to compete at WM28 and furthermore, are they in any shape to give a good enough match to bring prestige back to the titles at WM28? for example at the old school renuion in november or so, sergeant slaughter took on alberto del rio and basically got in a couple of punches and a few submission atempts before falling to a kick from del rio.

Ricky Steamboat is getting old too from what i saw when he was promoting his new DVD. i like your idea but the participants may not like it much

Don't forget Jake "The Snake" Roberts just make sure he doesn't leave a shit stain in the ring again. What if, what is Dusty wins and Cody is IC Champ think about that one

It dosen't need to be that old school. Get some guys like Scotty 2 Hotty, Rikishi, Steve Blackman, fake Doink, and some guys like that.

I do like the idea though, but I think a more realistic winner would be Ricky Steamboat. I don't think he would carry the strap, nor do I think this feud could help anyone.

What I do think is that in the following weeks on Raw Steamboat can start losing to young stars like Teddy, Cody, McIntyre, etc. and can say he just can't keep up with the young guys. This leads to the heel champ coming out and telling him to forfeit the match, instead he gives the title shot to Richie Steamboat. It's a perfect way for him to come up to the main roster.

I don't like this idea. WWE is in a middle of a Youth Movement and having a legend winning a mid-card championship will be a big spit in the face to the Youth Movement.

Also, these old guys aren't even healthy enough to wrestle.

I wouldn't mind them being a #1 contender to fight a champion, but please don't have them win a championship. It would take away TV time and spotlight for younger, more deserving stars.

I don't like this idea. WWE is in a middle of a Youth Movement and having a legend winning a mid-card championship will be a big spit in the face to the Youth Movement.

Also, these old guys aren't even healthy enough to wrestle.

I wouldn't mind them being a #1 contender to fight a champion, but please don't have them win a championship. It would take away TV time and spotlight for younger, more deserving stars.

Sorry but how is being a number 1 contender for a championship taking away any less prestige than actually taking the title?? Their still gonna be in the build up, still be in the match, and in all likelyhood still gonna be there for a while after...

and with the way WWE has used legends recently i can see this type of idea working really well...but i am skeptical over whether the old school Raw will return this year, id prefer to see them hold off for a few years so when it does come again it will feel special again

Sorry but how is being a number 1 contender for a championship taking away any less prestige than actually taking the title?? Their still gonna be in the build up, still be in the match, and in all likelyhood still gonna be there for a while after...

and with the way WWE has used legends recently i can see this type of idea working really well...but i am skeptical over whether the old school Raw will return this year, id prefer to see them hold off for a few years so when it does come again it will feel special again

How will a legend holding a mid-card title give that title more prestige? All it will do is steal spotlight for younger stars. If you want to make a title more prestigious, give it to a big star like Cena or Orton, not some old guy that nobody knows anymore.

I think what you've got is too old school. Get in some post - 1997 stars and you have your match. Maybe some with some I.C title reigns under their belts? Rikishi, Goldust (if recovered), Albert, Venis, Lance Storm?
It's a good idea but wrong for WWE's direction.

As many people pointed out is that it is always good to see some of the old timers but you don't need 80's ealy 90's stars but some late 90's stars. Kevin Nash, Val Venis, X-Pac, Lance Storm, DDP and people like that. Guys who are still young enough to put on a half decent match. I would also not have them win the match as being able to beat a legend who give the guy and title a push up.

The idea is solid as far as bringing in the legends.

Though on the topic of building up the mid card belts all you actually have to do is showcase them more. Give them mic time and actual title defenses. they hold the belts long enough but they only defend them once before losing them...

Eh, I'm not all that wild about this idea. Damien Demento? Seriously? Arguably the biggest nothing in WWE history?

A big part of the charm for the first Old School Raw was in how the legends that were brought in were used. They did some backstage stuff, they interacted with a few younger stars, a couple of interview segments, etc. and it worked just fine. They used Sgt. Slaughter extremely well by putting him in a match against Alberto Del Rio in which Del Rio got great heat during the match.

Seeing a bunch of 50+ to 60+ year olds, many of whom can't really go anymore, in a battle royal just holds little interest for me. What I'd like to see more than anything else would be some recent additions into the WWE Hall of Fame over the past few years make appearances on the show.

How will a legend holding a mid-card title give that title more prestige? All it will do is steal spotlight for younger stars. If you want to make a title more prestigious, give it to a big star like Cena or Orton, not some old guy that nobody knows anymore.

Oh yeah thats a brilliant idea. Give a MID CARD title to a MAIN EVENT level guy. Yeah then it makes it seem like the Main Event level guy isn't good enough for Main Event so he had to dumb it down a bit. Only person that was ever good at this was Jericho because he could play any role perfectly. Putting a guy like Cena or Orton into the IC title picture diminishes their credibility as a main event level talent.

I like the idea of an old school rumble. You forget, kid that just because a person is number 1 contender doesn't mean they are going to WIN the title it just means they are the #1 contender. It would provide for something out of the norm. Would also allow for a very interesting booking. Dusty vs. Cody would be awesome.

Look back. RVD & Kane vs. LOD. To my knowledge LOD hadn't really been wrestling full time when they made a return for the tag title shot. Yet it gave RVD/Kane credibility for beating a LEGIT/established tag team threat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back