The New Era....

Gallops77

Pre-Show Stalwart
So the New Era of WWE is officially upon us. The draft is over, the split is done and we have 2 separate entities now.

How does it kick off? Finn Balor vs Seth Rollins for the new WWE Universal Championship and Dean Ambrose defending the WWE Championship against Dolph Ziggler at Summerslam.

I get the feeling that they are changing direction with the WWE. No more is it the big guys, the guys who just look the part getting the opportunities. Now it seems the WWE is looking to make the best matches possible. Balor vs Rollins has potential to be a Match of the Year Candidate. Ambrose vs Ziggler is new, fresh, and two competitors who are young, hungry and capable of putting on outstanding matches.

As much as I'd like to see Bray Wyatt become WWE Champ, I think this was the way to go. Use the #2 PPV of the year to really build on the future of the company. This is the opportunity Balor and Ziggler needed to show they are main event players.

Not to mention, Baron Corben and Apollo Crews got opportunities as well. They are definitely looking to build upon their young stars and shy away from Cena, Orton etc at the faces of the main event.

The "New Era" sucks big time, especially on Smackdown.

No matter how much they try to push these guys (Apollo Crews, Finn Balor, Ziggler, etc. ) it won't work. The "new era", especially on Smackdown is a big joke when you have an average wrestler as your WWE champ, and a never-has-been like Dolph Ziggler as the challenger for your second-biggest show of the year.

Finn Balor (a guy who's what- 5'10 ? I realized it when I watched him on Raw in the beginning, he looked like 2 inches shorter than Seth, who's himself just a perfect 6 feet tall). My point is, Finn Balor, despite his athleticism, resembles more of a cruiserweight.
I haven't really watched him wrestle yet(on NxT), but the very fact that he looked so much smaller than Seth Rollins makes me wonder, is he really "main event" material, solely based on his wrestling style? I heard his promo on NxT and he sounded boring really.

Apollo Crews is 5'9-10 with the physique and weight of a heavyweight. And yet he does all these moves that Kalisto should be doing. Not main event material. Not even midcard material.

Dolph Ziggler is the ship that has sunk long ago. Just not main event material. Great wrestler, though.

The only people on Smackdown apart from Cena, Orton and Styles that are mainevent material or deserve pushes are Bray Wyatt, Baron Corbin, and Alberto Del Rio.

They are looking to build new stars, but the guys on Smackdown have very little potential. But they have Cena, Orton and Styles.

The most legitimate maineventers in the WWE for a long time are going to be Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns, besides Kevin Owens who is just looking to break the glass ceiling.

I really have little hope for Smackdown live and the whole "we're gonna bring change" BS. I saw it all these months when Shane was uttering it week in and week out. Now you've got Daniel Bryan doing it. Lame, just lame.

Sorry to say but even a very boring(personality-wise) Cesaro can become a maineventer based on his physique and in-ring prowess. Dolph Ziggler can't.

No matter how much they try to push these guys (Apollo Crews, Finn Balor, Ziggler, etc. ) it won't work. The "new era", especially on Smackdown is a big joke when you have an average wrestler as your WWE champ, and a never-has-been like Dolph Ziggler as the challenger for your second-biggest show of the year.

Finn Balor (a guy who's what- 5'10 ? I realized it when I watched him on Raw in the beginning, he looked like 2 inches shorter than Seth, who's himself just a perfect 6 feet tall). My point is, Finn Balor, despite his athleticism, resembles more of a cruiserweight.
I haven't really watched him wrestle yet(on NxT), but the very fact that he looked so much smaller than Seth Rollins makes me wonder, is he really "main event" material, solely based on his wrestling style? I heard his promo on NxT and he sounded boring really.

Apollo Crews is 5'9-10 with the physique and weight of a heavyweight. And yet he does all these moves that Kalisto should be doing. Not main event material. Not even midcard material.

Dolph Ziggler is the ship that has sunk long ago. Just not main event material. Great wrestler, though.

The only people on Smackdown apart from Cena, Orton and Styles that are mainevent material or deserve pushes are Bray Wyatt, Baron Corbin, and Alberto Del Rio.

They are looking to build new stars, but the guys on Smackdown have very little potential. But they have Cena, Orton and Styles.

The most legitimate maineventers in the WWE for a long time are going to be Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns, besides Kevin Owens who is just looking to break the glass ceiling.

I really have little hope for Smackdown live and the whole "we're gonna bring change" BS. I saw it all these months when Shane was uttering it week in and week out. Now you've got Daniel Bryan doing it. Lame, just lame.

Sorry to say but even a very boring(personality-wise) Cesaro can become a maineventer based on his physique and in-ring prowess. Dolph Ziggler can't.

The biggest focus of your point is that main eventers have to be large men. And honestly, I'm surprised, because I didn't know Vince McMahon browsed forums.

We just had the best Monday Night Raw we've had in months.

You heard a single Finn Balor promo, so therefore he's boring. I shouldn't even have to go into that. He beat Roman Reigns. And he did it believably in the match of the night. I don't know what about that dissatisfies you.

You do have some fair points. Smackdown wasn't nearly as good, and Dolph Ziggler's ship has sailed unfortunately. Unless he cuts some earth shattering promo or changes up his gimmick, his best move would be to set sail for Japan. Maybe come back at a later date like a lot of these guys seem to be doing. Smackdown got gutted in this draft when you compare it to Raw.

But Dean's cemented himself as WWE champion. He's got room to grow. Seth was not considered WWE Championship material when he first won the title. And neither was Roman for that matter. Whether or not he'll succeed like they did is still up in the air. But don't signal his failure just yet. He's been cutting decent promos. He's had some great matches. He does need to change something up though.

The biggest focus of your point is that main eventers have to be large men. And honestly, I'm surprised, because I didn't know Vince McMahon browsed forums.

I've realized it just today, but I really feel like the world champion should look like a particular way, and IMO, Bret Hart , Shawn Michaels and Seth Rollins are it, as are Hogan, Rock, Austin, Reigns, Orton, HHH...

So I don't mean they have to necessarily be muscleheads or anything. I just felt it when I saw Balor on Raw next to Seth Rollins.

I should also add, I have always loved Kurt Angle, and think that him being shorter and yet a maineventer for years (in both WWE and TNA) makes him an exception. Because even at 5'10 he had this amazing size, was an Olympic gold medalist, and just a fun character in 2000. Some of my fondest wrestling memories include Angle, Christian and Edge and Mick Foley in 2000! I could change my mind, because I'm a huge AJ Styles fan and consider him main event material despite his stature(paradoxical and contradictory of me, I admit). So yeah, will look forward to getting to know Balor. May be he'll grow on me.

But Dean's cemented himself as WWE champion. He's got room to grow. Seth was not considered WWE Championship material when he first won the title. And neither was Roman for that matter. Whether or not he'll succeed like they did is still up in the air. But don't signal his failure just yet. He's been cutting decent promos. He's had some great matches. He does need to change something up though.

I don't know what it is- but I just haven't been able to buy Dean Ambrose as a legit maineventer/world championship material. I just don't. And yeah, he's tall and fine. To me, (and I desperately have yearned to change that), it's like Reigns and Rollins are The Rock and Shawn Michaels (not equating Reigns' mic skills with the Rock! ), whereas Dean Ambrose is like Jeff Jarrett and Brooklyn Brawler rolled into one? I wish I could buy his character/persona/schtick like everyone else does, relate to him, like him..but. Sigh.

You heard a single Finn Balor promo, so therefore he's boring. I shouldn't even have to go into that. He beat Roman Reigns. And he did it believably in the match of the night. I don't know what about that dissatisfies you.

You yourself already answered what dissatisfies him in this particular instance. " He beat Roman Reigns. And he did it believably in the match of the night." He's a HUGE mark for Roman Reigns and feels that Reigns should be at the top. The problems with that mind set include the fact that Reigns is pretty lousy draw as champion, if the various reports of house show attendance were accurate because we know the ratings reports were, and he's in the doghouse right now because he's a full time guy who failed a WWE drug test while he was smack in the middle of his 3rd reign as WWE Champion. If Reigns stays out of trouble, he'll make it back to the main event spot within the next 8 to 12 months but I don't think it'll ever be quite the same. As I said, Reigns didn't draw well as champ and flunking the Wellness Policy while he was champ really pissed Vince off.

You do have some fair points. Smackdown wasn't nearly as good, and Dolph Ziggler's ship has sailed unfortunately. Unless he cuts some earth shattering promo or changes up his gimmick, his best move would be to set sail for Japan. Maybe come back at a later date like a lot of these guys seem to be doing. Smackdown got gutted in this draft when you compare it to Raw.

SmackDown has it rough compared to Raw in terms of overall name value. Raw has a lot more of the fresher wrestlers that fans are really invested in and/or have a lot of momentum going for them like Rollins, Owens, Cesaro, Zayn, Balor, New Day, Enzo & Big Cass, Gallows & Anderson, Rusev, Sasha, Charlotte and Paige. Of course, maybe a good number of the faces on SmackDown 6 months from now may wind up being as over as these faces on Raw.

I think Ambrose has been killing it as champion and I think most of the complaints have come about simply because he's champion. It seems like it's become something of an unofficial tradition where a guy who is legitimately over looks like he's about to become champion gets hate from various internet fans. Maybe he's not as dark or menacing as some feel he should be, a lot of internet fans feel that just about every wrestler is supposed to be a cross of the Terminator & Dirty Harry, but it seems to be working. Ambrose is a very fresh and very welcome change, judging by the reaction of the fans, as it's the first time in since late last year in which they haven't been force fed title storylines and feuds involving a champion, namely Roman Reigns, that many of them simply weren't interested in to begin with.

So, with your logic, Daniel Bryan should never have been the Main Event. Or Eddie Guerrero. Or Rey Mysterio. Or that guy that Vince will never talk about. Or Chris Jericho...a lot of guys that were under 6 foot that put on great MAIN EVENT matches.

Size isn't everything in wrestling, not anymore. If it was, we'd be talking about how Big Show broke either Bruno Sammartino's longevity record, Ric Flair's total reigns record, or both. By the way, by the logic that you used earlier, Sammartino isn't Main Event material either, even though he seemingly sold out the Garden more in the 60s and 70s than the Rangers.

It's about connecting with the audience, that's how Eddie Guerrero became the champ. That's how Daniel Bryan became the champ at Wrestlemania 30. That's how Dean Ambrose became the champ. They connected with the crowd in way that Roman Reigns fails, and that John Cena fails currently.

To be on the top, you need to sell tickets, you need to sell merchandise, and you need to sell subscriptions to WWE network. Some of the guys that going to be a huge part of the New Era have already done that.

You yourself already answered what dissatisfies him in this particular instance. " He beat Roman Reigns. And he did it believably in the match of the night." He's a HUGE mark for Roman Reigns and feels that Reigns should be at the top. The problems with that mind set include the fact that Reigns is pretty lousy draw as champion, if the various reports of house show attendance were accurate because we know the ratings reports were, and he's in the doghouse right now because he's a full time guy who failed a WWE drug test while he was smack in the middle of his 3rd reign as WWE Champion. If Reigns stays out of trouble, he'll make it back to the main event spot within the next 8 to 12 months but I don't think it'll ever be quite the same. As I said, Reigns didn't draw well as champ and flunking the Wellness Policy while he was champ really pissed Vince off..

LOL Dude. That is so not the reason.

Anyone with reasonable discernment would see from a mile away that the only reason Reigns was pinned cleanly by Ambrose on Battleground , and Balor on his first Raw, was because of the violation policy and Vince's resultant fury.

I'd have to be 12 yrs old to be "dissatisfied" on account of Finn Balor (or anyone) because they beat Roman Reigns.

You dislike/don't buy Reigns as a maineventer, call him a "lousy draw", which is fine by me.
I dislike/don't buy Dean Ambrose as a maineventer.
We both agree Seth Rollins is the man. It's all cool.

But I'd hate it if you have illusions like this! Honestly, I was rooting for AJ Styles and would've loved it had he won the title from Reigns two months ago. And I was fine with Reigns retaining as well. I love being a balanced fan, enjoying multiple performers and their differing wrestling styles. The result of a match doesn't make me "hate" or "dislike" a wrestler.

Please dispel any notions man!

Rey Mysterio, CM Punk, Jeff Hardy, Chris Jericho, Rob Van Dam, Chris Benoit, Daniel Bryan, Shawn Michaels, Bruno Sammartino, Eddie Guerrero, Seth Rollins, Christian, Dolph Ziggler.

That's a list of the "small" WWE/World Heavyweight Champions. There are 3 current WWE Hall of Famers in there. Jericho is a future HOFer, and Christian may eventually be as well.

You don't need to be big in size to be a huge star anymore. Daniel Bryan, had it not been for the injuries, would be THE top guy in the company right now. He was the most over wrestler of this generation. When you have an ENTIRE stadium, not just some small arena, but the ENTIRE stadium at Wrestlemania 30 doing the "Yes" Chant, you're over. When the WWE is confident in you enough to put you over Triple H, Randy Orton AND Batista in one night, you're over. When you can beat John Cena CLEAN, you're over.

Finn Balor has the potential to be THE top star. He has the in ring ability to do it. He can cut a promo (which by the way, Daniel Bryan's best promo was his retirement promo, and he was still over). He has a piece of his character that can make him that much better in "The Demon".

Dolph Ziggler is still over. He gets a solid reaction for a guy who has been relegated to jobber duty over the past year. Now he's getting his shot again. I was at Wrestlemania 29 and the ENTIRE stadium was chanting for him during and after the Del Rio/Swagger match. The next night on Raw, a HEEL Ziggler got the biggest pop of the night when he came out to cash in on Del Rio.

Baron Corbin deserves a main event push? Not for a while. He's still green in the ring and is yet to have a real feud.

Apollo Crews just came up in April and in NXT didn't have much going on. He can work in the ring with anyone. He's got the agility of a cruiserweight and the build of a heavyweight. He too needs a long feud to really show what he can do.

Roman Reigns got a push based on his size alone. He has ZERO personality, his mic skills suck and he is the only one of the three Shield members who's character hasn't evolved one bit. He needs a heel turn asap before he becomes a flash in the pan.

Right now, the WWE has a lot of options. Established stars like Cena, Orton, Big Show, Kane, Jericho and Lesnar, the new top stars in Rollins, Ambrose, Reigns and Styles, the guys right on the cusp like Bray Wyatt, Sheamus, Del Rio and Rusev, and then the guys who they can turn into major stars like Balor, Ziggler, Zayn, Owens and Cesaro. It takes a couple of weeks to turn a guy from a mid card star to a main eventer. Finn Balor it took 2 matches in one night.

Like it or not, the way the WWE views who's a star is different from what it was 10 years ago. Size isn't everything anymore. Quality matches is what matters now it appears.

Personally, I feel like since Sunday, WWE has been on fire.

They are giving us everything people have been asking for for the past decade. New faces in the main event, no more outdated ideologies of main eventers having to be heavyweights, and unpredictability.

We don't know who's walking out of Summerslam champion, let alone the rest of the card.

This is great and honestly I wish they did this reboot right after Wrestlemania.

Now let's see if they can keep it up. I hope they don't do all this only to have Cena vs. Orton for the WWE Title main eventing PPV's.

'We don't know who's walking out of Summerslam champion, let alone the rest of the card'

REALLY? you don't know who is going to win between Ambrose/Ziggler?(hint the winner's name begins with an A) now the Balor/Rollins match looks more unpredictable but I say the odds of Balor winning at slim to none - Unless The Club interfears and The Balor Club is born

I thought for a new show they tried. I mean come on it was their first night out, give them a couple of weeks.

How can you not call it the New Era, when you have Rollins and Balor, Ambrose and Ziggler. Now Ziggler was put in there because I believe Styles hasn't finished with Cena yet, but yea it should have been Styles.

At least it's not Cena/Big Show or Kane.

You know sometimes size doesn't matter. You basically have no idea of what Finn Balor can do, you admit that yourself, but in your eyes he's no good. That's like telling someone a book sucks and you've never opened the front cover of it. Why don't you watch what the guy can do, then bring your opinions here. Believe me I'm not telling you how to think, but you are offering an opinion based on looks. That's ridiculous.

Apollo Crews is greener than grass and he will be fine. He can do high flying and power moves, something a lot of them can't. With some experience, he'll be holding a mid card title in the future.

Yes his ship has sailed, and no he's pretty much shit. He tries to be HBK and fails miserably.

Wyatt has to get a gimmick, they pretty much took it away from him but breaking up the Wyatts. Corbin is greener than Crews and Del Rio, well he hasn't been relevant since he was in the LON. He needs a face turn.

I agree with Rollins and Owens, but the Reigns experiment was a failure. After two years the guy still can't get over as a babyface. Booker T said it perfectly last week when he was interviewing the Uso's. He said that Reigns is hated, and because they were partners with him, they received some of it too. They agreed to a certain extent. Reigns has had every opportunity handed to him, and he blew it with his suspension. If the WWE were looking for an opportunity to get off the Reigns train, he handed it too them on a silver platter.

Besides Reigns has no charisma, no personality, no mic skills the only thing he has is the look. In a few years that will be gone as well once the Samoan genes kick in.

Like I said before give it time, it was one show.

I have no idea why Ziggler got this opportunity over Cesaro, who I agree should be on SD.

So, you put over Ziggler as a great wrestler and say Baron Corbin needs pushed to the main event? That guy can't work, what are you talking about?

And if Ziggler is sunk, so is Del Rio. The fact is, neither are, but Del Rio more so than Ziggler. Hell, have them work each other, Del Rio says Ziggler is the best he's ever even been in the ring with.

I thought for a new show they tried. I mean come on it was their first night out, give them a couple of weeks.

How can you not call it the New Era, when you have Rollins and Balor, Ambrose and Ziggler. Now Ziggler was put in there because I believe Styles hasn't finished with Cena yet, but yea it should have been Styles.

At least it's not Cena/Big Show or Kane.

I don't mean to disparage Seth Rollins. But SD live and the whole "new era" thing is not for me. It seems like just about everything they do is wrong, personally, for me. I'll name just three things:-

1)All your favourite wrestlers(KO, Cesaro, AJ Styles) are stuck in meaningless tag team matches, 50-50 booking, etc.

AJ Styles wrestles in/loses meaningless tag matches, wins some, and is the subject of New Day's idiotic and non-funny jokes week in and week out. That's "The Club" right there.

KO is a victim of 50-50 booking, and basically a directionless WWE creative/writers.

Cesaro, ever since returning isn't even the IC champion and has a 40-60 win-loss record. That's your future "star" right there. I keep reiterating it, but hasn't Mark Madden been RIGHT all these years? There's nobody that stands out. Every one is at .500. They have mid-card talents but no real stars.

2)The Miz, a phoney, a reality show-wannabe who's a "sports entertainer" like Jim Cornette called him(and he said that's the biggest insult he could utter about someone) and not a pro-wrestler. Never was, never will be. No amount of IWC praising this bastard is going to make him any good in my eyes. The IWC here on WZ calling him a "great heel" makes me sick. Because I watched Chris Jericho be a great heel over the years. And now Kevin Owens. So this guy is the IC champion, and Cesaro isn't. To me, that makes wrestling, even scripted, fake wrestling, just meaningless.

3)Dean Ambrose, a midcarder on his best day is the WWE champ (yeah he's OVER) and KO isn't. KO should've torn the house down at WM with Brock Lesnar in a 20-25 minute gruelling battle, in a Bret Hart-Steve Austin-esque fashion, but that didn't happen. Anything that should happen or be happening doesn't. So now even when KO as the face of Smackdown/WWE champ makes more sense, it's dean ambrose, the goofy guy, with about as much realism and credibility about him as a mosquito.

You can find quite a few people in the comments section narrating a similar diatribe about Ambrose. And Mark Madden can't be so wrong when he holds a similar view, can he? Turns out, I'm not the only one who sees through Dean being a mediocre/substandard talent.

The WZ main page commenter "CaptainSeth" says:-

Well.. at least I can get behind Dolph because he's a phenomenal in-ring worker and can put on quality matches. But Ambrose just flat out sucks. Ambrose bores me with his matches, bores me with his promos and his annoying personality. Nothing about that guy screams 'anti-establishment'. Those who compared Ambrose to Punk or Austin are clueless. I even heard some SI compare him to Piper. That's disgraceful. Ambrose can be a good mid-carder for years to come. But I cringe everytime I see him with the WWE title. Sorry. Just can't get behind it. Agree that he should have dropped the title by now. This joke needs to end already.

I understand I'm being jaded and impossible here, but that's me. When you don't enjoy 90-95% of something on TV, you should simply not watch, which is what I contemplate to do.

I already don't enjoy the meaningless Cesaro and KO matches anymore, because it's the same shit week in and week out.

The last time I connected to a wrestler/champion was CM Punk.

I was transfixed by and glued to the screen during only a handful of wrestling matches this year(I don't watch every Raw or SD entirely, because It sucks, I just "phase out" ). That'd have to be the Nakamura-Sami Zayn match, Roman Reigns' matches with Styles and Seth, and that'd be it.

There's something wrong when you love Cesaro and KO and aren't invested in them or transfixed during their matches. And I'm not to be blamed for that.

But pretty much thinking- when there's no one you relate to on a consistent basis- character-wise , and when they push people randomly, there's nothing you can do. Hoping I'd quit.

If I keep checking Raw out (or Nxt), it's going to be for Shinsuke Nakamura, Seth Rollins and may be a bit of KO.

Not to mention, Baron Corben and Apollo Crews got opportunities as well. They are definitely looking to build upon their young stars and shy away from Cena, Orton etc at the faces of the main event.

Bunch of whining ass bitches who can't cut promos AND have quality matches.... how many of this era can? I'll wait...

I'm sorry not sorry but a LOT of these NXT guys don't have as much charisma as they do talent and WWE doesn't hide it well. My problem is when they do have a guy who can go and deserves a push its either

a. Big E (currently over as a champion, but held in an awkward tag team situation and stuck in that division)

b. Bray Wyatt (the most complete talent WWE's [solely] developed since John Cena and jobs while never getting a title shot)

c. Dean Ambrose (finally just getting a shot when he was clearly the class of his group and has still yet to deliver a 5 Star matches but keeps people interested in seeing him)

a. Big E (currently over as a champion, but held in an awkward tag team situation and stuck in that division)

Big E is in the most over and best tag team in years. He'll get his opportunity in the main event scene when they break up New Day in probably around a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back