• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

"The N-Word"

Use of "The N Word"

• It's NEVER ok...

• It's ok only in historical context...

• It's only ok for the blacks to use it, but not the whites...

• It's only a word, avoiding it makes it worse...

Results are only viewable after voting.
only a word??? who cares??? first off id like to say im black dont use the word for those that said "black people (all) use it" as the way i feel on the word has ben said by some im not going to just repeat what others have said, fot those that said its only a word lets look at this word a term to degrade the black race as a whole just a word???? dont see how that can be yes i know musical artists say it doesnt mean its a good word, to some its still a derogitory word

i honestly think that you have to be black to understand the way to word feels when called it, now before i get bashed hear me out and this goes toward "who cares its just a word" statement as well ... why is it that when a female is called a bitch perfuribly by a male its offencive, people say they dont like rap music because they degrade woman by calling them bitch, now if my memory is right when i was younger and used to look in the dictionary to be funny i would look for "bad words" and i was disapointed when i found out it meant female dog, so why do females get so offence why do people in general get offended when called bitch saying its derogitory, call a man bitch no big deal call a girl bitch and your degrading them, so would that be sexist, is that sexist for females to call each other bitch "in a friendly way" (much like N*gga)but or say son of a bitch but when a male calls them bitch its derogitory in this since i guess you have to be female to understand how that feels just like the n word

another word id like to add in is the word ****, if its "its just a word right" so why do females get mad when called a **** "its just a word" girls can play around and act "****ty" and even play around and and call their friends ****s, ****es and so on but when a male calls the **** its a big problem why get so mad "its just a word" right

i use the term "******" pretty much everyday of the week, not as a racial slur but for its other term, IGNORANT PERSON, and thats what every black person who uses the word is, especially when they get sensitiv if someone other than the black community says it.

i myself have been cautioned by the police at least 4 times, and once spent a night in the cop station because the person i called it, took it out of context.

i walked past a guy at school that said to his friend " hows it going ******", and i over heard this and replied to the guy that he was saying it to "what would you do if i called you a ******?" he told me " i kicked your fucking head in", in which i replied, " well you are a ****** and a racist then, you wont kick his ass because he's black, but you will mine because im white?" he was like "nah it dont work like that", i said "well can you call me a honky and not be punished? you use it negetivly?", he didnt know what to fucking say!

As a patriotic, country-loving American, I believe that it is time our country moved past such foul, degrading, demoralizing words. That being said, using it in school's as a tool to teach the fact that in history, we DID have low standards is good. It will allow the students to recognize the fact that cultures, times, and prerogatives change. It should not be tolerated by civilians in casual conversation, though. Otherwise, we are sending the message that we are *still* a racist country full of bigots. That isn't what I want other countries to think when they hear the word 'America!'

i honestly think that you have to be black to understand the way to word feels when called it, now before i get bashed hear me out and this goes toward "who cares its just a word" statement as well ... why is it that when a female is called a bitch perfuribly by a male its offencive, people say they dont like rap music because they degrade woman by calling them bitch, now if my memory is right when i was younger and used to look in the dictionary to be funny i would look for "bad words" and i was disapointed when i found out it meant female dog, so why do females get so offence why do people in general get offended when called bitch saying its derogitory, call a man bitch no big deal call a girl bitch and your degrading them, so would that be sexist, is that sexist for females to call each other bitch "in a friendly way" (much like N*gga)but or say son of a bitch but when a male calls them bitch its derogitory in this since i guess you have to be female to understand how that feels just like the n word

A bitch can be a derogatory term, just like any word could be. And yes, I could be offended if someone said it to me trying to degrade me. But what you're not seeming to understand is that most of us here aren't saying woo lets all go around saying this word. My query is the racism involved in it from black people, not vice versa. They think they're acting tough in being annoyed if a white person uses the term, yet it's fine when a black person does it? That's RACISM, and some of these black people need to understand it works both ways because I am sick to my back teeth of them going on about being victims of it.

another word id like to add in is the word ****, if its "its just a word right" so why do females get mad when called a **** "its just a word" girls can play around and act "****ty" and even play around and and call their friends ****s, ****es and so on but when a male calls the **** its a big problem why get so mad "its just a word" right

If anyone calls me a **** I get offended. Because it's not a word I use. If some girl came up to me and called me a ****, I'd be just as offended if guy came up to me to say it. So no, it's not a sexist thing as I am sure you're trying to point out.

A bitch can be a derogatory term, just like any word could be. And yes, I could be offended if someone said it to me trying to degrade me. But what you're not seeming to understand is that most of us here aren't saying woo lets all go around saying this word. My query is the racism involved in it from black people, not vice versa. They think they're acting tough in being annoyed if a white person uses the term, yet it's fine when a black person does it? That's RACISM, and some of these black people need to understand it works both ways because I am sick to my back teeth of them going on about being victims of it.

If anyone calls me a **** I get offended. Because it's not a word I use. If some girl came up to me and called me a ****, I'd be just as offended if guy came up to me to say it. So no, it's not a sexist thing as I am sure you're trying to point out.

I can see where your coming at on that but thats just YOU that gets offended, much like there are still black people who get offended when anybody says GGER. I mean females in general,i hear females call each other sl*t (i wont use the word so i dont inadvertently offend you), tch, hoe "tell that sl*t i said come on im hot standing out here", OMG you kissed bryan your such a sl*t hahahaha and laugh about it, i hear it on movies i hear it on tv, i see it on fones emails anywhere and it not used as a insult or degrading word much like GGA and black people saying that, but if i were to call a female that, the same 1s i hear calling each other that maybe just 15 min ago, id get cuss out, bashed on much like somebody saying GGER.

im black, and i dont try and "act tough" when i hear a white person say that, if i hear somebody say "man im sick of these GGERS" damn right ima get mad, if somebody said to me "come on GGER do something punk ass GGER" damn right id get mad, as im sure youd get mad if somebody said that to but using the words mentioned above, but using it in a dif way as in not dirogetory (my spelling aint that good if you havent noticed) "whats up gga", no i wouldnt care, agin depending on how its used

there was a point made earlier when someone said that it depends how well you know the person that says it takes part in it too, and i see that both ways. Ive ben ben called gga plenty times by my white friends and didnt get offended, much like when females friends use (said words mentioned above) and its all alright, but if some guy just came up said lets say " hey b*thch get over here," theyd get mad people around them may get mad, just like some black people would get mad if somebody said "hey gger you got my money" yes theyd get mad

so what im getting at is that the whole "all black people get mad when white people use the n-word but its fine when somebody else says it" is the same as with females "your my friend i no you i can call you (said names before) but if a guy says it all hell will break lose" 1 being racist both (using as racist word and other being only black people can say it) and the other being sexist (only females can use it towards each other if theyre friends). Im new at the whole debating thing on here and its hard for me to get what im thinking and get it written down (or in this case typed) but i think imo im getting better and i hope this gets my point across

I can see where your coming at on that but thats just YOU that gets offended, much like there are still black people who get offended when anybody says GGER. I mean females in general,i hear females call each other sl*t (i wont use the word so i dont inadvertently offend you), tch, hoe "tell that sl*t i said come on im hot standing out here", OMG you kissed bryan your such a sl*t hahahaha and laugh about it, i hear it on movies i hear it on tv, i see it on fones emails anywhere and it not used as a insult or degrading word much like GGA and black people saying that, but if i were to call a female that, the same 1s i hear calling each other that maybe just 15 min ago, id get cuss out, bashed on much like somebody saying GGER.

This is pretty much what I'm getting at. I hate it if anyone calls me a ****, friend or otherwise. Therefore I have a right to get offended if someone else who I hardly know says it. But what I hate about this word, as well as the N word, is that people seem to think it's okay at one point but then not if someone else says it. If a guy called me a ****, I'd be just as offended as if a girl had said it, therefore not being sexist. In the same way black people who say the N word, shouldn't get offended if a white person said it, as then I think it's racist.

im black, and i dont try and "act tough" when i hear a white person say that, if i hear somebody say "man im sick of these GGERS" damn right ima get mad, if somebody said to me "come on GGER do something punk ass GGER" damn right id get mad, as im sure youd get mad if somebody said that to but using the words mentioned above, but using it in a dif way as in not dirogetory (my spelling aint that good if you havent noticed) "whats up gga", no i wouldnt care, agin depending on how its used

See, here I think it's prefectly fine for you to be offended if a white person said it, as you get just as offended if a black person uses the word. That's taking offence at a word, not racism which many black people participate in when regarding this word.

there was a point made earlier when someone said that it depends how well you know the person that says it takes part in it too, and i see that both ways. Ive ben ben called gga plenty times by my white friends and didnt get offended, much like when females friends use (said words mentioned above) and its all alright, but if some guy just came up said lets say " hey b*thch get over here," theyd get mad people around them may get mad, just like some black people would get mad if somebody said "hey gger you got my money" yes theyd get mad

This is very iffy to me. I mean, I would be more offended if someone I didn't know said it to me, rather than one of my friends. But at the same time I dislike it even when friends say it in a 'joking' manner, because I just see no point.

But as I said, it's a word I just don't use. Because if I said it, how could I get offendd when someone else said it? Which really is my whole point when referring to the N Word.

so what im getting at is that the whole "all black people get mad when white people use the n-word but its fine when somebody else says it" is the same as with females "your my friend i no you i can call you (said names before) but if a guy says it all hell will break lose" 1 being racist both (using as racist word and other being only black people can say it) and the other being sexist (only females can use it towards each other if theyre friends). Im new at the whole debating thing on here and its hard for me to get what im thinking and get it written down (or in this case typed) but i think imo im getting better and i hope this gets my point across

You got your point across very well actually. I understand what you mean, and you did it without a hint of flaming.

The slurs hold different meanings for different ethnic groups. It's only "the n-word" that holds as much power as it does. Few others even come close.

A bunch of times, friends greet me with "hey, ya drunken mick ya!" I love it, it doesn't bother me at all. We call my Italian friend "you crazy Guinea!" He's cool with it. We don't see the big deal with either to be called an "ethnic slur."

But the historical use of The "N" Word is wrought with mistreatment, racism, degredation, and inferior treatment. It's sad, but that is why the word gets more pop than, as Becca explains, the word "****." **** denotes sexual promiscuity, but someone who's never met her who calls her that is making a massiv assumption about her, her character, her lifestyle, her morals, etc. I can understand where that's massively offensive. Someone who calls me a drunken mick probably knows I am Irish and assumes I drink. Well, assumption verified, let's have a shot of Jameson!

The slurs hold different meanings for different ethnic groups. It's only "the n-word" that holds as much power as it does. Few others even come close.

A bunch of times, friends greet me with "hey, ya drunken mick ya!" I love it, it doesn't bother me at all. We call my Italian friend "you crazy Guinea!" He's cool with it. We don't see the big deal with either to be called an "ethnic slur."

I'm going to assume these are supposed to be offensive words, down to the race of someone. I have to assume because never have I heard either of these words being said to anyone in that way. Yet I can't go a day without hearing the N Word, from a black person. These examples just further push in my mind that everyone should just stop saying it. If it was to happen, soon the word will become basically non-existant, and only heard of in the historical context it was first brought about.

I'm going to assume these are supposed to be offensive words, down to the race of someone. I have to assume because never have I heard either of these words being said to anyone in that way. Yet I can't go a day without hearing the N Word, from a black person. These examples just further push in my mind that everyone should just stop saying it. If it was to happen, soon the word will become basically non-existant, and only heard of in the historical context it was first brought about.

yea i agree ive never heard these words used like that. But about what Becca(i believe this to be your name) has said, this i think would be a good idea, but this day and age i dont see this happening. the word is used so much in everyday settings. Look at how tv is now, i remember the only profanity word that could be said on tv was damn and hell (i heard on the simpsons) and all other words were BEEP out, not knowing what was being said. now-a-days the only words NOT getting censored are shit and fuck and gger and thats only on some stations all stations however censor fuck,because more and more words are being accepted as time goes on, and not being de-cepted. so i dont see this word not being not used but being used so much that it doesnt become a big deal anymore. But i dont see this happening in not maybe 20 30 yrs purhaps. I mean the other day i had my lil sis at the park and i heard some kid maybe 3 or 4yrs old saying gga to his friend a good amount of times at that, i was appauled at that, but like i said before the the word will get used so much that it wont be as big as it once was.

yea i agree ive never heard these words used like that. But about what Becca(i believe this to be your name) has said, this i think would be a good idea, but this day and age i dont see this happening. the word is used so much in everyday settings. Look at how tv is now, i remember the only profanity word that could be said on tv was damn and hell (i heard on the simpsons) and all other words were BEEP out, not knowing what was being said. now-a-days the only words NOT getting censored are shit and fuck and gger and thats only on some stations all stations however censor fuck,because more and more words are being accepted as time goes on, and not being de-cepted. so i dont see this word not being not used but being used so much that it doesnt become a big deal anymore. But i dont see this happening in not maybe 20 30 yrs purhaps. I mean the other day i had my lil sis at the park and i heard some kid maybe 3 or 4yrs old saying gga to his friend a good amount of times at that, i was appauled at that, but like i said before the the word will get used so much that it wont be as big as it once was.

This is a good example of what I mean. If people stop saying it now, children of the next generation will not have even heard of the word, much like I hadn't heard of the other offensive words IC25 pointed out. But how do you explain to a child they shouldn't say a word? I don't sweara lot, but when I'm around Jessica, who's 6, I have never sworn. And yet when she began school, words such as "fuck" and "bitch" just began to spring out of her mouth. Never have I heard her say the N Word, but I have heard other 6 year olds surrounding her say it. Where have they heard this from? Songs, other people saying it etc. If one child knows a word it takes a minute for 6 other to. Who tell 6 others. This is why we need everyone to stop saying it. Especially rappers with the bullshit they say.

This is a good example of what I mean. If people stop saying it now, children of the next generation will not have even heard of the word, much like I hadn't heard of the other offensive words IC25 pointed out. But how do you explain to a child they shouldn't say a word? I don't sweara lot, but when I'm around Jessica, who's 6, I have never sworn. And yet when she began school, words such as "fuck" and "bitch" just began to spring out of her mouth. Never have I heard her say the N Word, but I have heard other 6 year olds surrounding her say it. Where have they heard this from? Songs, other people saying it etc. If one child knows a word it takes a minute for 6 other to. Who tell 6 others. This is why we need everyone to stop saying it. Especially rappers with the bullshit they say.

ok now this i think should maybe b in a different thread but my take on this and im not bashing you or anything but i dont like when people lay blame on rappers and rap music and stuff for their use of the n-word, or using b*tch in their lyrics, when i dont hear anything about other music. yes i no they use it alot, an excessive amount of times at that, but i dont like how people blame rap musci it self for these things but i dont hear about other music. i like all music my itunes library is filled with everything. The other day i was in ther car with my friend listening to country music and i heard and i dont remember the exact words but something about shooting some1 in the head with a shot gun, thats just a recent song in the country genre that i remember but i dont hear any1 talking about that (i was actualy surprised at that i asways thought country was clean). Marron 5 (1 of my fav groups) um this love i think it was video the entire video if i remember right they was in bed doing sexual things, i dont remember anybody talking about that. There are plenty of other genres of music that show/play "bad" epetic (i think thats a word) on things but rap just gets hit the most

If you can find me one song which isn't by a rapper which uses the N Word regularly I will happily retract my statement and say I was wrong. However, when it comes to using that word, I have heard no other type of music involve it regularly in their lyrics, and I listen to many different genres. Furthermore, some rappers have expressed they feel they're doing a good thing in using the word more, which is something I extremely disagree with.

Yes, some other genres of music identify with different things such as crimes, however when it comes to the N Word none other comes close to using it as rap does.

well you got me there, no one outside the rap community in music uses the n word regularly. Rappers tend to use the n word excessivly in their songs, fact. Some rappers say using the word more is actually doing good, fact. All rappers use the n word in their songs, false. Their are plenty of good rappers that have good songs, they have messenges out to the kids, to the young generation growing up WITHOUT using the n word at all. There are some that use no profanity at all, 1s that tell storys give lessons in their lyrics, these to me are the rappers that need to be front and center stage. These are the rappers that not that many know about because others are over exposed in the media when their are some that are better than them but dont get the shine that they do.

1 of my fav. rappers/hip hop artist lupe fiasco, his entire 1st albulm didnt say the n word not once, and said only 1 profane word, b*tch, and when he said that he was saying how he aint like the word. He told storys in his lyrics taught lessons, THIS is the type of rapper that needs to be on main-stream. but he doesnt get hyped because hes different, has a different style, different look. i bet if you heard him youd have a different aspect on rap, and understand that there is hope for the future of rap community, but i hole heartly agree that rap music does and as i no the only music gerne that uses the n word. it was a misunderstanding with the earlier post that you had

I don't think the word should be used unless it's with the proper historical context. The hypocritical black community that damns this word and any white person that uses it, but then turns a blind eye when their children use the word ***** as a form of flattery drives me nuts. It's either offensive or it isn't, plain and simple. It doesn't matter if someone white or black says it, if it's wrong it's wrong, if it's right, it's right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back