• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Most Frustrating Missed "Dream Match"

What is the Most Frustrating Missed Dream Match?

• Hulk Hogan vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin 2002-2003

• Sting vs. Undertaker 2015

• Hulk Hogan vs. Ric Flair 1992

• Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. CM Punk 2011

• The Rock vs. Shawn Michaels 2002-2004

• Hulk Hogan vs. Bret Hart 1992-1993

• The Rock vs. Randy Orton 2012-present

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bret Hart vs. Lex Luger in 1994. I don't care what Jim Ross or WWF brass say, Lex Luger was a star. He was not only deserving of a WWF Title run, he would have thrived. His only competition at the time for top face status was Bret Hart and Razor Ramon. With Razor involving himself with the Intercontinental Championship all through 1994, the landscape was wide open for a Bret vs. Lex program.

Instead Bret would feud with Jerry Lawler, Owen Hart, the Quebecers, and Bob Backlund. Luger feuded with Yokozuna, Ludvig Borga, Tatanka, and the Money Inc. hentchmen to close out 1994.

Bret and Lex couldn't lock up once? The time to do it would have been WrestleMania X. But SummerSlam and Survivor Series 1994 would have also been opportuned times. Even KOTR could have had Bret vs. Lex instead of Bret vs. Diesel. I don't know if backstage politics prevented Bret vs. Luger in 1994. All I knew as a viewer was Lex and Bret were the top wrestlers and they never faced each other.

I will say this for Bret. He survived some awful booking in 1993 and recovered to become WWF's ace. Lex Luger was booked horribly in 1994 and never recovered.

Bret Hart vs. Lex Luger in 1994. I don't care what Jim Ross or WWF brass say, Lex Luger was a star. He was not only deserving of a WWF Title run, he would have thrived. His only competition at the time for top face status was Bret Hart and Razor Ramon. With Razor involving himself with the Intercontinental Championship all through 1994, the landscape was wide open for a Bret vs. Lex program.

Instead Bret would feud with Jerry Lawler, Owen Hart, the Quebecers, and Bob Backlund. Luger feuded with Yokozuna, Ludvig Borga, Tatanka, and the Money Inc. hentchmen to close out 1994.

Bret and Lex couldn't lock up once? The time to do it would have been WrestleMania X. But SummerSlam and Survivor Series 1994 would have also been opportuned times. Even KOTR could have had Bret vs. Lex instead of Bret vs. Diesel. I don't know if backstage politics prevented Bret vs. Luger in 1994. All I knew as a viewer was Lex and Bret were the top wrestlers and they never faced each other.

I will say this for Bret. He survived some awful booking in 1993 and recovered to become WWF's ace. Lex Luger was booked horribly in 1994 and never recovered.

There are rumors Bret and Lex were supposed to close wrestlemania X. The night before the event, Luger went out and was bragging about winning the title, it got back to the dirt sheets, and the plan was scraped. I'm not sure how much I buy this considering there was no internet wrestling sites and a magazine obviously couldn't print that the day of.

I wouldn't consider this a dream match but I wanted to see it. After the way the 94 rumble ended, it could have easily been a mini feud for them. I think Vince was over the Lex express at this point.

There are rumors Bret and Lex were supposed to close wrestlemania X. The night before the event, Luger went out and was bragging about winning the title, it got back to the dirt sheets, and the plan was scraped. I'm not sure how much I buy this considering there was no internet wrestling sites and a magazine obviously couldn't print that the day of.

I wouldn't consider this a dream match but I wanted to see it. After the way the 94 rumble ended, it could have easily been a mini feud for them. I think Vince was over the Lex express at this point.

Luger and Hart both debunked that rumor. The plan was set over a month in advance that Luger wasn't winning the championship, because the fans had very vocally chosen Bret over him (Luger was getting mixed and even downright hostile reactions in some cities). Luger just wasn't over as a main event babyface with the WWE audience. Luger was also planned to win the Intercontinental Championship that summer, before they decided to put the strap back on Razor Ramon, and the next year The Allied Powers (Luger & Bulldog) were scheduled to beat Yokozuna & Owen Hart for the World Tag Team Championships, and again plans changed. The stars just never aligned for Luger in WWE.

I have some different ones...

Davey v Bret II & III

Had Bulldog not been caught up in Hellwig's firing then realistically I think we'd have seen both guys progress to the World title and Mania 9 might have looked different. There was a real chance of a rematch at Survivor Series and then a decider down the line between the 2, with maybe a rumble win and title win for Bret. Why was this a missed opportunity? Because Wembley would have sold out again for it, Mania 9 or 11 at Wembley would have been far superior to what actually happened, especially with the World title on the line.

Rude vs Savage

By letting Rude walk in 1990 they missed out on what could have been the best WWF title feud they ever had at the time. Imagine if Savage had gifted Rude the title instead of Slaughter... expecting a title shot that he didn't get... it was the one time a heel v heel title feud could have worked and at Mania 7 it could have ended with Savage and Liz reuiniting with the title... or the shock of Liz being "with Rude". Hogan didn't need to be the champ by then, they could have run the Slaughter feud without it. It cost them the best heel in the biz (proven by his WCW run) and let's face it, and it cost them face Flair v Rude later on too.

Punk v Vince McMahon

Sure Vince was pretty old by then, but I can't help but feel that one of Punks "demands" should have been Vince one on one so he could finally beat the crap out of him for all the voiceless. Sure it would end in a screwjob in Vince's favour but Punk was so over at the time that it wouldn't have mattered.

Brian Pillman v Bret Hart 1996.

Ok, this wasn't WWE's fault - their plan with Pillman was main event and what became Austin's role but his injury didn't heal as hoped (Why didn't you call a cab Brian?) but that feud with Austin perhaps as Pillman's buddy who then turns on him would have done just as good business for WWE. When Brian was clearly not gonna be able to be "that guy" Austin stepped up... such a shame.

Daniel Bryan vs Bad News Barrett

Ok, hear me out on this one... Remember the Rumble that Bryan wasn't in? That everyone went nuts over and led to his title match... that night 30 isn't Rey... It's Barrett...after the start of Bryan's music begins to play... he gives the I'm afraid I've got some bad news line... and though he doesn't win the Rumble he comes damn close losing to Batista in the final moments

It all goes quiet on the front till after Mania and boom it starts again with Barrett attacking Bryan at every opportunity. Again this was cut short by injury to Bryan and of course Barrett's horrific luck injury wise. But it was a great chance to do a proper IC champ v World Champ feud and get Wade back into that top bracket, even if he didn't actually take the title at that time... or if he did it was for a few minutes till an MITB cash in and his face turn. The two always seemed like great natural opponents and could work well off each other on the mic.

I have some different ones...

Davey v Bret II & III

Had Bulldog not been caught up in Hellwig's firing then realistically I think we'd have seen both guys progress to the World title and Mania 9 might have looked different. There was a real chance of a rematch at Survivor Series and then a decider down the line between the 2, with maybe a rumble win and title win for Bret. Why was this a missed opportunity? Because Wembley would have sold out again for it, Mania 9 or 11 at Wembley would have been far superior to what actually happened, especially with the World title on the line.

Rude vs Savage

By letting Rude walk in 1990 they missed out on what could have been the best WWF title feud they ever had at the time. Imagine if Savage had gifted Rude the title instead of Slaughter... expecting a title shot that he didn't get... it was the one time a heel v heel title feud could have worked and at Mania 7 it could have ended with Savage and Liz reuiniting with the title... or the shock of Liz being "with Rude". Hogan didn't need to be the champ by then, they could have run the Slaughter feud without it. It cost them the best heel in the biz (proven by his WCW run) and let's face it, and it cost them face Flair v Rude later on too.

Punk v Vince McMahon

Sure Vince was pretty old by then, but I can't help but feel that one of Punks "demands" should have been Vince one on one so he could finally beat the crap out of him for all the voiceless. Sure it would end in a screwjob in Vince's favour but Punk was so over at the time that it wouldn't have mattered.

Brian Pillman v Bret Hart 1996.

Ok, this wasn't WWE's fault - their plan with Pillman was main event and what became Austin's role but his injury didn't heal as hoped (Why didn't you call a cab Brian?) but that feud with Austin perhaps as Pillman's buddy who then turns on him would have done just as good business for WWE. When Brian was clearly not gonna be able to be "that guy" Austin stepped up... such a shame.

Daniel Bryan vs Bad News Barrett

Ok, hear me out on this one... Remember the Rumble that Bryan wasn't in? That everyone went nuts over and led to his title match... that night 30 isn't Rey... It's Barrett...after the start of Bryan's music begins to play... he gives the I'm afraid I've got some bad news line... and though he doesn't win the Rumble he comes damn close losing to Batista in the final moments

It all goes quiet on the front till after Mania and boom it starts again with Barrett attacking Bryan at every opportunity. Again this was cut short by injury to Bryan and of course Barrett's horrific luck injury wise. But it was a great chance to do a proper IC champ v World Champ feud and get Wade back into that top bracket, even if he didn't actually take the title at that time... or if he did it was for a few minutes till an MITB cash in and his face turn. The two always seemed like great natural opponents and could work well off each other on the mic.

Punk and Vince faced off on an episode of Raw. Vince kicked the shit out of him, told him he was fighting Ryback at Hell in a Cell, then Punk hit the wrong guy in the crowd.

I agree with you there. Watch that year's summer slam and you can see that Lex was hugely over with the crowd. Just like with the Ultimate Warrior and Jarrett, WWE likes to black ball guys that did certain things and they did this with Lex. They can say that Vince tried to recreate Hogan, but Lex just didn't have what it takes, and no Luger wasn't Hogan. However, they completely botched up Summerslam. There was immense build up and Luger should have beaten Yokozuna. While Bret was a great talent, his first title run was premature. Luger had already been established in the NWA and had solid runs there. Luger was a little better in the ring, but much worse than Hogan on the microphone, but that doesn't mean he wasn't over. Wrestlemania 10 was great, but I would have liked to see Luger vs. Bret instead, and then kicked a feud off with Owen and Bret.

Sting vs. Warrior-1998 This one seemed like a no-brainer to me. I wouldn't have either of them as a heel, but it could have had the same effect of Hogan vs. Savage about 10 years earlier. I would have Sting vs. Warrior match around the title at WW3, and the winner facing Goldberg maybe at Starrcade after Goldberg wins WW3.

Hogan and Savage vs. Sting and Warrior-1998 Granted, Savage was hurt, but the Blade Runners vs. the Mega Powers would have been epic with proper build up and could have headlined a PPV.

Flair vs Hogan did happen in 92 when WWF tested the waters for the match with various house shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back