The Most Credible Championship Of The Last 10 Years?

Ferbian

Has Returned.
Okay people it's time to look into some statistics, since the start of the century / millennium (2000 -> onwards) we have had a lot of different championship belts.

This thread will not be focusing on belts that got defected early in the last 10 years (European championship, Hardcore Championship and Light Heavyweight championship) however it will be focusing on a belt like the ECW championship, the WWE cruiserweight championship and the WWE tag team championship because they were created in the 00's and went on for a fair amount of years, had good feuds and one is still active.

As promised, let's look at some of the statistics shall we people? yes we shall.

The WWE championship: Now I'm not gonna go into massive details about the championship belt, for those who wants to look closer into them with dates, length of championship reigns, here is a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_Champions

Reign starts with Triple H in 2000 just to point out, I have not taken consideration of champions carrying into the last 10 years (champion in 1999 into 2000)

The World Heavyweight Championship: This belt was introduced back to us in 2002, and that is where I'm gonna carry the reign from, not the WCW championship that we were seeing in the 01 period during the Invasion storyline.

Again, for those who want to take a look at the statistics to form an opinion, here is the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Heavyweight_Champions_(WWE)

WWE United States Championship: This belt was by this standard introduced again in 2003 after being unified with the WWE Intercontinental championship (a belt we will get back to later) so Eddie Guerrero is by definition the first WWE champion.

Again, for the people who just loves to look at statistics, here is another link to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_United_States_Champions

WWE Intercontinental Championship: I told you we would get back to this one. The first reign for this belt that is counting in this thread is the Chris Jericho & Chyna reign.

And here's another link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_Intercontinental_Champions

WWE ECW World Heavyweight Championship: Yep that's the actual name, it was credited as a world championship by name at least, this championship counts from the WWE introduction of the belt back in 2006 making Rob Van Dam the first official champion by this threads definition, the final champion being Ezekiel Jackson.

Here's the link to the statistics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ECW_World_Heavyweight_Champions

WWE Cruiserweight Championship: Since the Cruiserweight championship never got defected during the transfer from WCW to WWE, the first official champion by this threads standards is Billy Kidman, being the first champion to win the championship on WWE television (SmackDown!) in 2001, and Hornswoggle is the official final champion.

The statistics if you will:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_Cruiserweight_Champions

WWE Divas Championship: Surprised I included it? yeah well me to, but it's still an active championship and should therefore be in this thread, the first champion is Michelle McCool and the current champion is Alicia Fox.

The statistics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_Divas_Champions

WWE Women's Championship: This championship for the purpose of the thread statistically starts by first champion Hirvana in 2000 and the current champion right now is Layla (not Michelle McCool).

The statistics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_Women's_Champions

World Tag Team Championship: This belt is currently unified with the WWE Tag Team Championship, but for the purpose of this thread it shall be treated as separated because of the long list of reigns before it being unified.
The first official champions are The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray Dudley and D-Von Dudley) in 2000 and the current champions are The Hart Dynasty (David Hart Smith and Tyson Kidd)

The statistics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Tag_Team_Champions_(WWE)

WWE Tag Team Championship: Just as the World Tag Team Championship, it shall be treated as separated due to its history as a non unified tag team championship.
The first reign is Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit in 2002 and the current champions are The Hart Dynasty (David Hart Smith and Tyson Kidd).

The statistics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_Tag_Team_Champions

Time to get down to business people, we have now looked upon all the belts presented by WWE actively in the last 10 years, all of these have had their bad and their good moments, some are more credible than others.

And that brings me to the questions:

What championship belt is the most credible one of them currently? Why do you think that?

What championship had the most credible past 10 years with good feuds, long reigns and great championship defends? Why do you think that?

Without a doubt the WWE Championship is the most credible. The Intercontinental would be #2. I don't see a need for the others as they diminish the clout that the WWE belt brings. The women's title is good along with tag team belts but think of the best feuds the WWE has had in the past. The Intercontinental belt was the stepping stone to the big time and the feud that built up took time to develop. Now a days with a pay per view every month, none of the belts mean much, as they are just a prop for the show. WCW proved that when they put the belt on Mr. Courtney Cox. Plus, I'd like to see more of the cross brand shows.TNA seems to have it right with their belts...so far :banghead:

I would say the wwe title, simply because like already mentioned, it's the main belt. And mostly everyone does anything to get it. But as of late even that title is diminishing because of it's ridiculous design as well as wrestlers losing it every 3 weeks. The intercontinental title hasn't had any meaning since the likes of shawn michaels, ultimate warrior, bret hart, and ahmed johnson held it. All the other belts are just about non existent.

Given the options I'd have to say the World Heavyweight Championship. It's the most consistent belt in the WWE. With the exception of the Great Khali, the former champions are a who's who list of wrestling icons, legends and.. then there's Batista. It hasn't been ****ed around until recent years and even then it's still managed to maintain it's prestige. I really have to think about 2008 and what it is about that year that changed the game. There were 20 championship reigns between 2002 and the beginning of 2008 but since then it's changed hand 19 times. 19 title changes in 2 years and about 6-7 different holders is not good. I mean if we had a good old fashioned Harley Race vs Ric Flair type of feud going I'd be all for it, sadly This time next year the repicas you can buy would be more prestigious.

The other titles have been full of crap for years unfortunately and even the almighty Intercontinental championship which was more prestigious than the WWE title at one point is about as valuable as the hardcore title.

The WWE championship
Now if we're going with Most Credible I'd have to go with Kurt Angle or Brock Lesnar. Angle mainly because of the gold medals, plus he was just an amazing preformer. I mean, I still have yet to see anyone preform a better moonsault then him. Brock Lesnar mainly for pure size and ability. The man was a wrestler in college, and just he size was so impressive. I could def. buy these two as Champions.

The World Heavyweight Championship
For this one I'll have to say HHH. Out of all of the people on the list, he has the most credibilty for a champion. The only other people I could see are Angle for the reasons above, or the Undertaker.

WWE United States Championship
Now this one is tuff for me. At the top of my list is Cena, Benoit, MVP,and JBL. Out of those, I'd have to say MVP mainly for the length of his reign.

WWE Intercontinental Championship
This is is easy, I'm going with Jericho. He has the most reigns, so in my book that makes him the most credible.

WWE ECW World Heavyweight Championship
This one is a bit difficult. But in the end I'd have to say Swagger. Out of everyone on that list(and there are some greats) he is the one that sticks out in my mind.

WWE Cruiserweight Championship
With this one, again I'm going to go with number of reigns and go with Kidman

WWE Divas Championship

Tough call between McCool and Mickie James. I think I'll settle on McCool mainly for her finisher, which is way better then James' DDT

WWE Women's Championship
Three women come to mind with this one. Trish Stratus, Chyna, and Lita. All have amazing in ring ability, and mike skills. With this one, I'll go with Stratus due, again, with number of reigns, but with Lita as a VERY close second.

World Tag Team Championship

Out of all the belts on this list, the tag team belts are the toughest to call. The tag teams over the years have been amazing...

This one especially is very hard to call. But I think I'll go the numbers way again and say Edge and Christian. Other people that come to mind are the Hardy Boys, Dudley Boys, BoD, oh man, I could go on...

WWE Tag Team Championship

Again, very tough call, but I'll give this one to DX. Two of the biggest and most sucessfull wrestlers ever as a team.

What championship belt is the most credible one of them currently? Why do you think that?

I'd have to say WWE Championship Belt, mainly because its the big one. It's the one that everyone wants. You've made it big when you have this belt around your waist.

What championship had the most credible past 10 years with good feuds, long reigns and great championship defends? Why do you think that?

Excellent question here my friend. It took me a while to actually think of an answer here. I was torn between the WWE Championship and the IC belt. For me the IC belt is the #2 belt in the biz. So with that said I'll have to go with the IC. From Jericho/Chyna to Kofi Kingston, look at the names on the list for this belt. The fueds are far to many to list, and the matches were amazing. My favorite being the HHH vs Jeff Hardy match were Hardy won in an upset.

I think the most credible one is the WWE Championship, just because it is only worn by true main-eventers. The WHC is good, but there are a few too many guys that are just not good main eventers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back