• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Lesnar Rub

Franchize1990

Pre-Show Stalwart
Rewind the clock back to November 20th, 2016 to the Big 4 PPV, Survivor Series, the main event of the evening was The Beast Incarnate, Brock Lesnar vs the returning Bill Goldberg. Lesnar is still riding high from ending the streak two and a half years ago while Goldberg is wrestling his first match since WM 20. Speed through 1:26 worth of action and Goldberg has shocked the world while sending us, the IWC, into some form of madness. The consensus was any full time wrestler who could benefit from the Lesnar rub lost that opportunity to Goldberg and that breaking the streak was a huge waste. But what if I told you that this wasn't the case?

Fast forward a few months and in 2 matches, Goldberg seems to be the monster that Lesnar was/still is. If things go the way we think they're going to go, Brock gets his win back from Goldberg at Mania and not only regains his aura as the baddest man in a WWE ring, he'd then be the Universal Champion and, unless he loses the title in a multi-man match, sets a full timer up with the rub of a lifetime once again. My questions to the members of the WrestleZone Forums are:

1) If the story plays out the way it does above, does Lesnar regain his status as an "unstoppable monster"?

2) In a bigger picture, do we worry too much about certain results like Lesnar/Goldberg of Survivor Series 2016 because it doesn't fit what we believe the long term plan should be?

I think Lesnar is their plan to solidify Finn Balor as a main eventer.

Sure Goldberg winning in a minute and a half was a mistake in my eyes. Brock will get the win back and the universal title but he's no longer the monster that noone including The Undertaker could stop.

But he is still one of the "top guys" to steal a quote from The Revival. So it will be a hell of a rub nonetheless.

We all know that Finn recently returned to the ring at live events. We also know he is probably getting a rematch for the Universal title that he had to vacate. That's the title that Lesnar will win at Mania.

So I see the story after mania being Finn wanting his rematch and having Lesnar absolutely destroy him week after week untill their ppv match where Lesnar finally comes face to face with The Demon, who he can't keep down. Finn beats all odds and beats Lesnar to become the first ever 2X Universal champ and gets a huge rub for beating the beast and sending him home.

Beast Vs Demon. It practically writes itself.

Me I see it another way, yes if everything goes as plan, then lesnar will become the unstoppable monster he once was.

But after that I see him giving the rub to samoa joe. I see him going ino a feud with joe after mania and maybe lose clean to joe which in the end would pretty much set up joe as the true destroyer.

The last thing you want to do is put finn balor against lesnar when he comes back because it's a scenario that doesn't help anybody, because you want to have a little bit of realism when it comes to matches. If you put lesnar in a one on one match in real life, lesnar destroyed balor in less then 2 minutes, that's why pretty much all the david vs goliath matches ended with goliath getting the win.

The best thing to do for balor, have him climb the ladder back into the title picture, have joe beat lesnar for the title and have balor beat joe for the title after that. Don't make the same mistake you did with reigns and shove balor down fans throat because they will reject it just like they did reigns, and balor as the potential to be a main event talent if booked right.

So if you need to give somebody the rub with lesnar, do it with samoa joe not with finn balor.

I think Lesnar is their plan to solidify Finn Balor as a main eventer.

Beast Vs Demon. It practically writes itself.

i like that idea alot and actually hope that happens sooner rather than later and he's positioned at the top until Samoa Joe takes that spot from him. i would love to see Joe vs. Lesnar and all, but the fact is, they are both heels and WWE usually likes booking a top face vs. their heel champion. as much as i want it to be Demon vs. Beast...my guess is that Lesnar will be fed to Roman because WWE loves Roman (despite what some of their fans say).

i would love a Balor vs. Lesnar match because Balor is really great in the ring and would sell well for Lesnar and he would be someone that the fans will really rally behind. if it's Lesnar vs. Roman, the fans will be behind Lesnar while if it's Joe vs. Lesnar, the reaction would be mixed. so Balor vs. Lesnar would be better, but again...i predict Lesnar vs. Roman will be where WWE is going.

Unstoppable Lesnar was getting really boring. How many times could we have had interesting Lesnar matches instead of the same old squash. The Royal Rumble 2015 match vs Rollins and Cena was good because they had a match instead of a suplex city.

Beast in the East vs Kofi could have been a fun match. Kingston even had a heel New Day at his side to allow them to keep Lesnar a monster but have a match, but nope. SummerSlam last year, Randy Orton looked like a guy he could have a legit match with, but nope.

It was all downhill from the Cena massacre at SummerSlam 2014. There were peaks, like Rumble 2015 and at least Undertaker got offence in their matches.

The Goldberg match was kind of a breath of fresh air. No one knew what to expect considering the Lesnar booking vs big return of the Gold-burglar.

Two things: Lesnar will not be someone easily defeated, they won't have the Universal title disappear from TV after WrestleMania.

Hopefully what follows is that they allow Lesnar to take some bumps in his matches. We're most likely going to see a protected loss for Lesnar at Payback. That match is most likely a multi-man scenario.

KO and Finn Balor are owed Universal title matches. I could sooner see Balor pinning KO in a triple threat than Balor and Lesnar going one on one. Balor isn't bigger than Daniel Bryan, an even more popular wrestler whom they refused to put in the ring with Lesnar.

This is the time to change Lesnar, he's running out of wrestling gods to match up with. Taker is overdone, so is Cena. Strowman seems like a natural opponent and could even figure into Lesnar losing his title.

The other name to not forget about is Roman Reigns. He seems poised to retire the Undertaker. The title is the logical place to go from there. Finn Balor chasing heel Roman Reigns' title sounds interesting to me. Though the Reigns heel turn seems doubtful, it's been a while since the favourite son has been in the main event title scene.

Lesnar will still be a monster. He isn't going to start having matches where small guys get offence in unless they're multi-man scenarios. There are quite a few feuds for Lesnar that come up. Vs a face Rollins has yet to happen. Vs a heel Roman would be new (big IF they pull the trigger). You've got Samoa Joe being booked strong, and of course Strowman. Shinsuke Nakamura has the height that Balor doesn't.

It's going to be Reigns that gets the rub and no one else even has a chance.

This is exactly what I see going down. If Reigns goes over Taker, which I think is all but certain, then ultimately another sign from Vince McMahon to the masses that Roman Reigns is "the future" of WWE. After all, Roman Reigns has declared the WWE ring to be his "yard" now. Unless Reigns' feud with Taker leads to or culminates in a heel turn for Reigns, I simply don't see Vince wanting anyone to take the Universal Championship, because, let's face it, Lesnar is winning the title in a dominant fashion at WrestleMania, from Lesnar except Roman Reigns.

This is exactly what I see going down. If Reigns goes over Taker, which I think is all but certain, then ultimately another sign from Vince McMahon to the masses that Roman Reigns is "the future" of WWE. After all, Roman Reigns has declared the WWE ring to be his "yard" now. Unless Reigns' feud with Taker leads to or culminates in a heel turn for Reigns, I simply don't see Vince wanting anyone to take the Universal Championship, because, let's face it, Lesnar is winning the title in a dominant fashion at WrestleMania, from Lesnar except Roman Reigns.

When hasn't it been a sign that Reigns is the "Chosen One". We've seen it since the Shield broke up. Roman Reigns has been in the title scene or hovering around it pretty much since then. When the fans turned against him, he was pulled back and given the US Title has a consolation prize. Even then he was feuding with Owens over the Universal title.

As much as I love Undertaker, it's pretty much written in the stars that Reigns will win the match. Whether he turns heel in the process is something that remains to be seen. One thing for sure, it will not endear him to the thousands of fans that already dislike him, heel turn or not. I also think Lesnar will hold the title and Reigns will go over him at Summerslam or the Rumble. He will then hold the title till the next big thing comes along. Don't know where that leaves Balor, Owens and the rest, maybe they'll end up in one long feud for the US Title. So I guess Reigns will benefit from both a rub from Lesnar and Undertaker. Vince has again put all of his eggs in one basket. Reigns fans will be elated, the rest of us will watch Smackdown Live.

Don't make the same mistake you did with reigns and shove balor down fans throat because they will reject it just like they did reigns, and balor as the potential to be a main event talent if booked right.

You don't know much about your audience, do you?

Anyway, for now, I see nothing other than Reigns taking the title off Lesnar. And sadly, I don't even think he'll be an official heel at that point. All signs are pointing to him staying in his current role. They've truly done wrong by that guy for so long now it's baffling.

Like the majority, I see Reigns eventually taking the strap from Lesnar barring any shenanigans at Wrestlemania, but I think that's a mistake. It's the classic case of putting all your eggs in one basket... again. Reigns goes into the stratosphere and the rest of the roster gets left in the dust. If they were smart, Reigns would go over Taker, and somebody else, Strowman for instance, would take the title from Brock down the line. Beating the Undertaker at Wrestlemania, maybe even retiring him, is one hell of an accomplishment; something Reigns can brag about for the rest of his career. In that sense, he doesn't need the "Lesnar rub."

If you give it to somebody else, (using Strowman as a random example) you're creating another legitimate wrestler that can seriously be seen on the level of Lesnar, Taker, Reigns, etc. at least as far as kayfabe goes. Than you have a ready made feud in Reigns/Strowman for the Universal strap, with both guys coming off some of the biggest wins in the past decade. Putting one guy on a completely different tier above the rest waters down the entire product in my opinion. I just wish they had faith in more than one friggin person sometimes.

To answer the question though, the Lesnar rub definitely still exists. I look at guys like Goldberg and Taker as on another level from the rest. They can beat Lesnar without destroying his unstoppable aura because they're on his level. Despite his losses, whenever a full-time guy beats Lesnar clean, it's still going to be one of the bigger moments in a long time.

I think the best play would be to have Styles defeat Lesnar at Summerslam.

Styles defeats Shane at Mania
Gets drafted to Raw
Wins a #1 contender match (Fatal 4 way - Styles vs. Reigns vs. Balor vs. Owens) at PPV prior to Summerslam
And then slow build to their match at Summerslam.

You don't know much about your audience, do you?

Anyway, for now, I see nothing other than Reigns taking the title off Lesnar. And sadly, I don't even think he'll be an official heel at that point. All signs are pointing to him staying in his current role. They've truly done wrong by that guy for so long now it's baffling.

Yeah, I kinda do actually, they did that last year with finn and after his first apparence fans started to become indifferent to him then got over with the first demon king apparence and again you started to get some fans that we're indifferent to this character by summerslam.

Evertimes they sky rocketed somebody to the top quickly, fans have turns on te performer and let face it, that what's goig to happenned to balor as well if you push him to quickly into the main event scene. To created a main event star, it need to be organic and that's takes time. Finn balor as the potential of being the next daniel bryan type main event star but he need time to find his voice and get better in promos so that he can get his character over to not just the hardcore audience, but also the kids. Right now force feeding this guys will just get a section of the audience to just not cares about him.

As for the subject at hand, it does seem like reigns will be getting this push if he's still on raw after mania but I rather have joe get the rub even through I'm a huge reigns fan.

Lesnar beating Goldberg will surely make him the man again, but not the unstoppable force. In order for that to happen he has to beat Goldberg in a way that will make more impact than the way Goldberg beat him. I'm not saying he should squash Goldberg, but making Goldberg tap or even defeating him via KO will sure make a statement to prove that he's the unstoppable force he always was and on top of that, and even bigger threat, now that he also surpassed his personal "kryptonite".

As far as the rub is concerned, I don't believe WWE has a plan in place. I think they'll see how it goes. I agree that this title run of Lesnar should end with him giving a rub to somebody. But with MITB also coming up, I won't be surpised if Lesnar loses the title via a cash-in, rather than a one-on-one defeat.

Now as to who beats Lesnar, that's a question for another time, but the asnwer is simple. Anybody that the WWE considers to be the future of their company and his name can be Reigns, Owens, Balor, Strowman, Nakamura or Rollins.

It seems as though Seth Rollins will be getting the "True" HHH-rub based on how last night's events went down, whilst Roman Reigns as rumoured, might get the rub of retiring the Undertaker once and for all.

Both guys, a couple years ago, were rumoured to the be the 2 guys Vince was high on in terms of carrying the company going forward whilst Dean Ambrose(3rd Shield guy) was being seen as an Upper-Midcarder by the top brass.
Thus far, it seems to be going to plan tho I feel the Brand split might help Dean join his Shield bros at the top if he can tweak himself enough, in the ring especially.

As for the Lesnar rub, whilst I agree with the majority that it is being kept for Roman. I would rather that honour be given to someone like Finn Balor instead with Roman Reigns moving on to SmackDown before SummerSlam and finally getting a proper logical storyline driven character redo that has been the hallmark of SD Live since the return of the brand split.

1) If the story plays out the way it does above, does Lesnar regain his status as an "unstoppable monster"?
Did he ever lost it? Sure he lost one match but making a claim that he cant be advertised as "unstoppable monster" just because he lost one match is just like if you say Cena is not no1 face because he cant even defend title properly and lost it in 2 weeks so now he is having third grade match at biggest stage of them all where he is paired in mixed tag team match. Lesnar would always be no1 monster and special attraction. Just as Cena has few more years before he gives up that no1 face of WWE title to someone else.

2) In a bigger picture, do we worry too much about certain results like Lesnar/Goldberg of Survivor Series 2016 because it doesn't fit what we believe the long term plan should be?
Yes we do worry too much. Ultimately Lesnar and Goldberg would be fine in long track. Lesnar would give that rub to someone other then Goldberg and Goldberg maybe gives one back to someone else in future if he decides to get in ring again.

Like the majority, I see Reigns eventually taking the strap from Lesnar barring any shenanigans at Wrestlemania, but I think that's a mistake. It's the classic case of putting all your eggs in one basket... again. Reigns goes into the stratosphere and the rest of the roster gets left in the dust. If they were smart, Reigns would go over Taker, and somebody else, Strowman for instance, would take the title from Brock down the line. Beating the Undertaker at Wrestlemania, maybe even retiring him, is one hell of an accomplishment; something Reigns can brag about for the rest of his career. In that sense, he doesn't need the "Lesnar rub."

If you give it to somebody else, (using Strowman as a random example) you're creating another legitimate wrestler that can seriously be seen on the level of Lesnar, Taker, Reigns, etc. at least as far as kayfabe goes. Than you have a ready made feud in Reigns/Strowman for the Universal strap, with both guys coming off some of the biggest wins in the past decade. Putting one guy on a completely different tier above the rest waters down the entire product in my opinion. I just wish they had faith in more than one friggin person sometimes.

To answer the question though, the Lesnar rub definitely still exists. I look at guys like Goldberg and Taker as on another level from the rest. They can beat Lesnar without destroying his unstoppable aura because they're on his level. Despite his losses, whenever a full-time guy beats Lesnar clean, it's still going to be one of the bigger moments in a long time.

The Lesnar rub should be going to Strowman or Joe, I would say Owens, but they've pretty screwed that up for awhile. That middle paragraph pretty much states the reason I will never get behind Reigns. Vince has put his entire stock on Reigns for the last three years and it will never change. Vince and his buck tooth friend have been sacrificing the ability of other performers just because they start to get a better reaction than Reigns, it makes me sick and it's a big reason why everyone else looks like a midcarder. I rarely ever watch Raw live, so I can just fast forward whenever Reigns comes out.

As for the Lesnar rub, whilst I agree with the majority that it is being kept for Roman. I would rather that honour be given to someone like Finn Balor instead with Roman Reigns moving on to SmackDown before SummerSlam and finally getting a proper logical storyline driven character redo that has been the hallmark of SD Live since the return of the brand split.

While most of us feel that Reigns will get the rub, I think that most of us also would prefer that it be someone else. Roman Reigns is pretty much already "the guy" as far as Vince is concerned; if Reigns hadn't failed the drug test last summer, there's a very strong possibility that he'd be going into WrestleMania XXXIII as WWE Universal Champion.

As was mentioned earlier, this looks so much like Vince doing what he'd done with John Cena in that he puts all, or nearly all, of his eggs in one basket in that he builds a single wrestler up to such an astonishing degree that almost nobody seems like a credible opponent. Among other reasons, I'm of the opinion that a lot of fans sense this as well and is why some are so vehemently opposed to Reigns being in this spot. As I've mentioned in a lot of other posts, I'd prefer to see WWE go the Attitude Era route and have a bunch of guys so well built up that any of them can legitimately step into the main event scene at any given moment. While Austin and the Rock were the top guys during the AE, you still had guys like Taker, Jericho, Foley, Angle, Triple H who had the credibility to take on or defeat Austin or the Rock as they weren't built up so high that nobody came off looking as though they were in their league.

I hope it's not Reigns or Rollins. I'm so tired of them to be honest.

Hopefully, Brock is a defending champion and defends the title at the ppv's after mania. He doesn't really have much negotiating leverage anymore because his ufc days are over. It's either WWE or nothing..Maybe, they can get some more dates out of him.

Lesnar dropping the title to Finn Balor at Summerslam would be my preference. That would be a great rub for Balor, especially if Lesnar routinely defended the title leading up to SS.

While most of us feel that Reigns will get the rub, I think that most of us also would prefer that it be someone else. Roman Reigns is pretty much already "the guy" as far as Vince is concerned; if Reigns hadn't failed the drug test last summer, there's a very strong possibility that he'd be going into WrestleMania XXXIII as WWE Universal Champion.

As was mentioned earlier, this looks so much like Vince doing what he'd done with John Cena in that he puts all, or nearly all, of his eggs in one basket in that he builds a single wrestler up to such an astonishing degree that almost nobody seems like a credible opponent. Among other reasons, I'm of the opinion that a lot of fans sense this as well and is why some are so vehemently opposed to Reigns being in this spot. As I've mentioned in a lot of other posts, I'd prefer to see WWE go the Attitude Era route and have a bunch of guys so well built up that any of them can legitimately step into the main event scene at any given moment. While Austin and the Rock were the top guys during the AE, you still had guys like Taker, Jericho, Foley, Angle, Triple H who had the credibility to take on or defeat Austin or the Rock as they weren't built up so high that nobody came off looking as though they were in their league.

My initial thought was along the lines of "tell Rollins to stop getting injured, and he might be up there as well," but honestly it seems like this most recent injury did good things for his face turn.

While i wouldn't mind seeing reigns get the rub in this current incarnation of his character, he really doesn'T need it anymore. WWE as pretty much accomplish what they wanted with him, he another John Cena. Reigns get cheer by a certains section of the crowd and get booed by a certain section of the crowd. He's become the guy that the hardcore wrestling fans like to boo because it's the cool thing to do so he's pretty much the guy on raw right now, plus if i believe that last stats that came out about merchandise sale, the guy is no 2 behind John cena as far as merchandise sale is concern and nobody is even coming close to him.

So since Reigns really doesn'T need the rub, i really would go with Strowman or Samoa Joe who both really need that big win to be establish as a stop guy. Personally i would go With Joe more then Strowman because with Joe, you can do a program with Finn Balor for the championship after that, with Strowman, you are kinda in the same position that you we're with Lesnar as far as balor is concern because until you got those big gaint monsters as universal champion, you can't have Finn challenge for the championship because they'Re no way that you can book Strowman to lose the belt to finn balor without making both guy look weak in the process. Strowman shouldn't be losing to a cruiserweight, that makes no sense at all. But with Joe, it's believable.

So if you need to give the rub to somebody, i would go with either one but i would rather see joe get it

While i wouldn't mind seeing reigns get the rub in this current incarnation of his character, he really doesn'T need it anymore. WWE as pretty much accomplish what they wanted with him, he another John Cena. Reigns get cheer by a certains section of the crowd and get booed by a certain section of the crowd. He's become the guy that the hardcore wrestling fans like to boo because it's the cool thing to do so he's pretty much the guy on raw right now, plus if i believe that last stats that came out about merchandise sale, the guy is no 2 behind John cena as far as merchandise sale is concern and nobody is even coming close to him.

So if you need to give the rub to somebody, i would go with either one but i would rather see joe get it

I agree that Reigns doesn't need it, but I will disagree with something else you said. Now keep in mind I'm stating my own opinion here and the opinion of others I know personally, not the rest of the WWE Universe.

We don't boo Roman Reigns because we think it's cool to do so, we don't boo him at all. When Reigns comes out most people I know including myself sit quietly not saying a word. The guy isn't hated and he's not a bad wrestler. I personally find him boring and as a huge fan of the Shield I'm saddened to say I don't care if they ever get back together again. Seeing Reigns week in and week out in his Shield attire, hearing the music has ruined any thrill I would have had if the three of them came out together. In short I'm tired of him and find no connection with his character at all. The Shield was special and now it isn't, for me anyway.

Not trying to bash him just telling the truth. So some fans boo him maybe because they think it's cool, but there are a lot of others out there who just simply don't like the guy anymore and don't care. Like I've said before, it's like getting the same meal for dinner every night. How long would it take before you are sick of it.

By the way I wish the Lesnar rub would go to someone else as well, but again sadly it probably won't.

Indeed, at present, WWE has, alongwith Roman Reigns, huge similarly aged talents like Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Bray Wyatt, Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens and Braun Strowman.
Finn Balor is also only 35 as well.

So the future ME scene in WWE is locked down comfortably for the next decade only if WWE put effort into building each one of them and making them all 'Look Strong'.

At Mania in a couple of weeks, have Reigns retire Taker and Rollins do likewise to HHH. Even Kevin Owens could be given a huge boost by smacking Y2J around also.
Time for WWE to cash in on the current crop of amazing full-time talents they have instead of continuing to make them seem as chumps whenever the part-timers come into town.

If you believe what as been reported, they are building toward lesnar vs reigns for the universal championship at wrestlemania next year. So that probably means that either lesnar will drop the championship somewhere this year only to get it back before mania or he's going to be universal champion until wrestlemania 34 where he's going to lose to reigns.

So I guessing if it's true and lesnar doesn't dop the title until next year's mania, their going to be a lot of iwc fans that are goig to be angry at wwe for not giving the belt to balor or joe before going into mania and his main event match with reigns.

Rewind the clock back to November 20th, 2016 to the Big 4 PPV, Survivor Series, the main event of the evening was The Beast Incarnate, Brock Lesnar vs the returning Bill Goldberg. Lesnar is still riding high from ending the streak two and a half years ago while Goldberg is wrestling his first match since WM 20. Speed through 1:26 worth of action and Goldberg has shocked the world while sending us, the IWC, into some form of madness. The consensus was any full time wrestler who could benefit from the Lesnar rub lost that opportunity to Goldberg and that breaking the streak was a huge waste. But what if I told you that this wasn't the case?

Fast forward a few months and in 2 matches, Goldberg seems to be the monster that Lesnar was/still is. If things go the way we think they're going to go, Brock gets his win back from Goldberg at Mania and not only regains his aura as the baddest man in a WWE ring, he'd then be the Universal Champion and, unless he loses the title in a multi-man match, sets a full timer up with the rub of a lifetime once again. My questions to the members of the WrestleZone Forums are:

My question to you is this.

If you think it is wrong that Goldberg beat Brock, and ruined his "aura", and think that a new guy should have done it instead, then do you feel the same when it was Brock Lesnar, not a new guy, who ended the Undertaker's winning Streak, and did it ruin the Taker's "aura", or is it only a problem when your precious Brock loses?

I laughed when someone finally squashed that self-entitled piece of shit, Brock Lesnar. He can go back to UFC (oh no he can't because he has a drug ban). Sure, Goldberg is an entitled POS as well, but he doesn't leave, come back, leave, come back year and year.

Why is okay for someone like Brock to be unstoppable, according to all of you, and not for Cena or Reigns to be?

You mark for Brock, a guy who doesn't care about WWE, and doesn't love the sport, but loves the money that came from it. Yet you bag Roman Reigns for being "unstoppable", for being used the same way Brock is?

You just don't like Cena or Roman because VINCE pushed them. People here hate Vince McMahon so much that they will never give him credit for anything, or support who he pushes. Yet Brock has Vince over a barrel, and you love it, because Brock is doing what you wish you could do, and did do by throwing tantrums like babies until your darling Daniel Bryan was SHOEHORNED into the main event at Wrestlemania XXX.

Brock doesn't respect WWE, and deep down, neither do many of you, so, of course, you like Brock, whereas you see someone like Cena as a fanboy, a sycophant, so you feel to boo him because he has more passion for the sport in his little finger than Brock or many of you have in your entire bodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back