Should Goldberg-Lesnar encounter headline Survivor Series?

Goldberg Vs. Brock Lesnar II should headline Survivor Series.

• I agree.

• I disagree.

Results are only viewable after voting.

ShinChan

Gone. For. Good.
Bleacher Report said:
Pros and Cons of Goldberg-Lesnar encounter headlining Survivor Series:

Con: The conditioning of both men makes a long match impossible.

Pro: Makes sure the audience stays attentive until the money match.

Con: The in-ring quality of the match is unlikely to be more than decent.

Pro: Brings in new eyes to the product.

Con: Sends a bad message to the main roster.

Just read this article today.

This made me think if Goldberg and Brock Lesnar should headline the PPV or not?

I do agree with the pros and cons mentioned above. We already had Brock Lesnar Vs. Randy Orton headline Summerslam this year.

This may also depend upon if WWE wants to use Universal Champion and World Champion in the elimination tag team matches. If so is the case, Goldberg-Lesnar match would be the only match viable for the main event spot.

I am strongly against two veterans main-eventing a PPV like Survivor Series at this point. But if WWE wants to use their ultimate champions as mentioned above, then there's no match deserving to headline the PPV.

Plus, even if WWE doesn't do so, the most probable title matches are Owens Vs. Jericho & AJ Styles Vs. Dean Ambrose.

So at last, I amn't sure what should happen. Sway me with your views.

The people you're putting the show on are the hardcore fans, we don't want to see Goldberg vs Brock.

The people who randomly sub or watch the show for nostalgia that aren't your usual fans won't care if it's first, or last. I think it should be behind title matches (if we don't have team captains with the champions)

Even if people randomly sub to see Goldberg comeback, the match is going to disappoint, this isn't going to be classic, it's not even going to be as good as their Wrestlemania match, which is one of the smelliest farts in either man's career.

I’ve been watching WWE since 1989. I’ve always had the opinion that the WWE World Championship Title Belt should always be the last image I see at the end of every pay per view. To me, today, the only exception is seeing the WWE Universal Championship Title Belt as the shows close. With that being said, I want to see WWE Universal Champion and the Captain of Team Raw, Kevin Owens and WWE World Champion, and Captain of Team Smackdown, A.J. Styles end Survivor Series in the final battle for Brand supremacy. After all, this is the Survivor Series we’re talking about. It should be about the traditional Survivor Series tag team elimination matches. The keyword there is traditional.

I don't see why not. Than again, you really need to see the entire card before answering this question. Admittedly, I haven't been watching WWE programming for the past month, but after reading reviews from KB and others, so far, there really doesn't seem like a potential bout that could touch Goldberg/Brock when talking about a big "money match". I can see Owens going up against Jericho, Styles against Orton, and HHH/Rollins... if I had to bet, those would be my other three main event matches. Now any of these can easily main event a PPV, but are any really big enough to go ahead of Brock/Goldberg?

We can say all we want that we don't give a shit about this match, but let's be honest, if they put Brock/Goldberg last, is anybody not going to stay up to watch it? Nobody is going to miss that match. You put that match in the middle though, you may have people tuning out after it's over. Personally, I would almost always put my biggest drawing match last, whether it's for the title or not.

Absolutely not. The pros of the match are far outweighed by the negatives. Sure, for people like me that are totally stoked to see these two guys get their long awaited rematch, this match seems like the biggest match that the WWE could possibly offer. But even I don't think that there is any justification that this should be the main event. Does it have the biggest mainstream appeal? Possibly. But this match will be nothing more than a glorified squash match in favour of Brock Lesnar. The fact that these guys have never had the best engines anyway, make it clear to me that no one going to want to see a short match finish one of the biggest shows in the WWE calendar.

No, this match will be one of the later matches on the card but it won't be the main event of the show. The ought to put the current Superstars ahead of any small amount of nostalgia. Goldberg isn't going to stick around after this match, I reckon. And Lesnar looks as though he can't be bothered with wrestling anymore. To that end, I don't think he'll resign with the WWE when his contract is up. With that in mind, there's no justification or sense in letting them overshadow the rest of the roster for just one night.

For me personally, I'd rather they just did this match at Survivor Series and get it out of the way. This is a match designed for those who're casual to average viewers and those viewers who're in the mood for a nostalgia fix; that's all well and good, Goldberg vs. Lesnar will probably be a good draw, but those of us who know better know not to expect very much out of this match.

As far as conditioning goes, Goldberg is entirely up in the air as the man hasn't wrestled in over 12 years; if history teaches us anything, however, it's that this shouldn't be a long match as Goldberg certainly wasn't much in all that matches than went to or beyond the 10 minute mark. Goldberg looked like a badass and had a tremendous look, but that's about all. Brock Lesnar used to be an athletic dymano, a freakish combination of size, strength, speed and overall athleticism that made him the living incarnation of Vince McMahon's ideal professional wrestler. Lesnar still has a ton of raw power, but has retained very little of that remarkable athleticism and stamina that helped him become so dominant and leave such a lasting impression in the roughly 2 years he was in WWE before leaving for a decade.

If this match lasts the 15 minute or so mark, I don't see either guy doing a ton of stuff beyond the standard offense. Lesnar is gasping for breath usually about 10 minutes or so in, is sweating like a sinner on Judgment Day and turns about half a dozen different shades of purple; there have been times when he's so gassed that it looks like he's about to pass out in the middle of the ring. I've read that he does have some sort of respiratory condition in the past, I don't know if it's true or not, but, if it is, then maybe that explains it because otherwise the guy's just flat out lazy.

The layout of Survivor Series would indicate that most of, if not all, of the champions for all the brands will be involved in traditional Survivor Series tag team matches. If that's the case, then I'm all for Goldberg vs. Lesnar to take place as sort of a special attraction because I personally don't want to see this feud eating up tons of airtime as part of WrestleMania. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if Vince decides to book a rubber match between them if Lesnar goes over in this one because that's been a frequent formula in how Lesnar has been used. There's still hope, however, as even if Lesnar wins, the match itself might be so lackluster that there's no real interest in seeing a rubber match.

Those of you who disagree, just ROFL.

A good main event is a main event that features the two following elements:
a) the biggest superstars
b) the biggest crowd involment
with more emphasis on the second.

For example, Rock vs Cena at WM 28 was a good match to have last and HHH vs Y2J from WM X8 wasn't.
Styles vs Cena was the right match to have last at this year's Summerslam and Roman vs HHH shouldn't have main evented Wrestlemania.

Of course, the finish comes into play. If a finish where Goldberg gets the living shit beaten out of him, prevents the match from closing the show, for the same reason Lesnar vs Orton shouldn't have closed the show and for the same reason Taker vs Brock did not close the show at WM 30: It sends fans home unhappy and leaves them with a bitter taste in their mouth.

However if the match will have a finish where a pop is included, then it should close the show, because simply put, it's Goldberg's first match in 14 years and fans are excited. There's no other match on the card that can top this match.
No the 5 vs 5 match can't top it. The fans will be quiet every time a not so famous name gets tagged in during the match and since a screw heel finish might be in play (see HHH interference maybe), Lesnar vs Goldberg should main event.

End of story.

PS: Of course, if Goldberg is in a bad shape, then the match shouldn't close the show for obvious. But we don't know his condition. WWE does. So don't go and make assumptions.

PS #2: It's not the part-timer's problem that the current stars could not just get over. Main eventing a PPV does not get you over. Good promos, good crowd connection and good in-ring skills does. So those of you who say that the part-timers are stealing the spotlight from the younger wrestlers, cry me a river. If the spotlight is stolen from someone then simply put, the spotlight was never meant for him and he's not ready for it. Why? Because he's not a star. Let's be honest here, if it wasn't for HHH, Taker, Cena, Lesnar, Rock to sell PPVs and Wrestlemanias, WWE would have gone back to the 20,000 arenas for WMs.

I just want to get my post count to 2,500 so don't expect anything interesting out this answer.

It depends on the card and the build and ultimately the audience that night. It seems like the ideal last match on paper but it is too soon to tell. Much like Sasha and Charlotte. Two weeks ago I thought it belonged in the last spot, after last night's segment I decided there was no chance I would watch HitC live.

It will. No other match on the card will come close to the GOLDBERG VS LESNER match. This will be scorching hot by Survivor Series.

I agree. I'm not a fan of the match up but media and fans will take more about that match than any possible match ups (HHH vs. Rollins, Jericho vs. Owens, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back