• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Hater's Ball: Why Stephanie VS Ronda is stupid, any way you slice it

ok what if we get Team Rosey [Rousey, Paige, Natalya, some NXT chick] vs Team Mcmahon [The Bellas, Cameroon, Red hair chick, Cameron, whoever]. it wouldn't be the first multi-divas tag match at WM, and at least keeps Rosey from killing the divas until the end when she cleans hose..

terrible,, but better than Steph lasting more than 2 minutes with Ronda and actually going toe to toe with her just because steph is the greatest female in the universe..

I'd much rather see Stephanie go toe to toe with Ronda than see Ronda decimate the Divas division. Or they could have an NXT Diva interfere and help Stephanie win, then reveal the next night on RAW that she is the newest member of The Authority. It's so idiotic seeing other sport's athletes come in and decimate WWE's Superstars. With the exception of Andrè the Giant winning the WWE vs. NFL Battle Royal at WrestleMania 2, I don't think they've EVER let the WWE Superstar win a celebrity match, and that's absurd.

Yeah, I too think a Nancy Kerrigan type attack angle would make the match work. If Ronda sells a leg injury they can probably squeeze a 5 minute match in before she destroys Stephanie.

Ronda working a WWE match will bring a ton of mainstream attention to WM. If the build is right where people just want to see Ronda beat the crap out of Stephanie it can work.

There are so many ways it could be done. Jim Ross has been saying and I completely agree that Stephanie could stack the deck against her. Have someone like Triple H be the ref, have other members of the authority at ringside etc... She could also use foreign objects to get the advantage for a while. In the end Ronda would still make the comeback and destroy Stephanie. Probably not in seconds but that could be explained too. She could say she doesn't just wanna beat Steph but really kick her ass for a while too.

I want the match to happen but Ronda really has to squash Steph. I'm getting seriously sick of Steph, both the on screen character and the off screen corporate egomaniac.

I wanted Sting to finally give corporate egomaniac Triple H what he had coming to him, yet Triple H won and came out on top.

So, Meltzer is saying the plan is Ronda/Stephanie for Mania 32. Which will draw a shit ton of money, and we'll all mark out. I'm sure this plan is getting fucked up along the way; See Brock and Rock, for this year. But allow me to reconvene the hater's ball, and tell you why this is a terrible, terrible idea.

Listen, I'm as much a guy to argue you should do the thing that draws money as much as possible. But realistically, unless this match lasts eight seconds and winds up with Ronda destroying Steph, this will be bad. The most high profile women's match in the history of WWE could very well end up including a McMahon. Stephanie humiliates almost everybody she's in the ring with, nobody ever gets their heat back on her, and now that it's time to put somebody over you bring in somebody from outside the company just so it's clear that everybody in your company is still a joke (except Steph, of course). I know that Rousey is a big money draw, and I think it's great that she might want to do a match, but you have a year to build up one of your actual wrestlers as a legit athlete and fighter to take on Rousey and instead you want to do Rousey vs. McMahon. This would be like them booking Mayweather vs. Shane in '05 (or whatever year that was). It's ridiculous.

Actually, it's really worse than the Mayweather analogy. At least Mayweather takes part in boring matches that take twelve rounds. Part of Ronda's appeal is that she beats everyone in under a minute. Her last two fights took a total of thirty seconds. If you're planning a match for Mania (and it isn't the eight second match I proposed, which ha), then it should be about nine minutes. And no matter how you slice it, that's Steph lasting longer than any woman ever could with Ronda. She's better than all of the divas in WWE, and better than any woman in UFC. She is Steph, alpha female, hear her roar. No one wants to see that, be we all know that's what we're getting. Steph is going to be tougher than all of those shemales in that godless UFC; goddamnit, we need to keep Steph strong.

I know we're all going to mark out about this match, but that's really the basis of this match. A non-wrestler is going to go toe to toe with the best woman athlete in the world, and is going to last some time, probably get in quite a but of offense, in a storyline that will only stand to make Steph look good.

Gentlemen...

f473b1b8a22c8468d50ad8cddad79bd9.jpg

I have no problem with the match. WWE is a business first and even if the match is less than 10 seconds, people will tune it/buy tickets to see this match. I understand, yes, there's a possibility Rousey may be in the match longer than what's expected with Steph but they could make it entertaining like have Rousey no sell Steph's moves or have Rousey chase Steph.

From a business standpoint it's genius by WWE.... Rousey kinda fell right into their lap as a natural fan and she's a MAJOR draw right now... a true crossover star who even non-UFC and non-WWE fans know.

Now, it's up to WWE to write it correctly... if they build it well and make it look like steph takes a massive physical beating, maybe it's a way to change power in the business at wrestlemania 32... a way to fake a steph injury and have her leave for a while...

I have to say that I have very little interest in this mis match. Purely because someone like Stephanie McMahon shouldn't be anywhere near a ring when Rhonda Rousey is in it.

However, if they are going down the Rousey route then Stephanie McMahon is the best opponent. Rousey will NEVER go head to head with a WWE Diva in a match while she is still in UFC.

I think what we will see here is Stephanie appoint a heel as the referee and maybe make it a lumberjack match to 'even the odds'. We have seen Vince go against Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold etc in the past so we know there are always ways and means for McMahons.

I really like the idea of getting Ronda Rousey in a WWE ring for a match...but against STEPHANIE MCMAHON? Urghhhh...really???

Steph isn't even a proper wrestler, so while it's still unbelievable that a regular WWE Diva could challenge Rousey, the fact Steph is a businesswoman who doesn't even wrestle regularly makes this pretty ridiculous.

I think they COULD make it work in some way, but they'd need to be really careful with it. Perhaps it could be a tag-team match with The Rock and Rousey vs Triple H and Stephanie...so when Ronda locks in the armbar on Steph, it gets broken up immediately by Triple H etc, keeping the excitement and anticipation for her actually locking it in, but allowing the match to keep going longer. There would need to be some serious heel cheating from the Levesque's, shots to Rousey behind the refs back from Trips...it would need to be really carefully done.

However, I think it's likely that Rock and Triple H will fight one on one next year at WM, so I doubt WWE would want to combine 2 matches (Rousey v Steph and Rock v HHH) into 1 match, they'd likely keep them seperate to maximise the number of "big name" bouts on the card.

Another way this Ronda v Steph match MAY be work 1 one 1 is if there are stipulations, like Ronda has 1 arm tied behind her back, something like that. Obviously, the tie would come loose and she'd lock the submission in after she won the match legally, to give the crowd the payoff, but at least a restricting Ronda to 1 arm would make Steph have MORE of a chance (although IRL Rousey would crush her with just the 1 arm.)

As a result, any number of potential scenarios can be worked up in which Stephanie has a fighting chance to give Rousay a, kayfabe, tough fight.

A true statement, yet within lies the difficulty in sustaining belief in this contest, based on the type of fighter Rousey is. Someone mentioned a 9-minute match with Stephanie. For Ronda, that's the equivalent of an 60-minute Iron Man match in pro wrestling; she doesn't go that long with legitimate competitors.....how will they choreograph a match with Stephanie that doesn't have the fans laughing and catcalling as the "fight" progresses? Or worse, what if they tune out altogether on this "highly anticipated" contest? Can you imagine Steph keeping Ronda incapacitated for minutes at a time with a constricting hold? Is Steph even more effective an a UFC fighter? Is she going to beat Ronda down with stock options?

Sure, Ronda Rousey wouldn't want to hurt anyone in what amounts to an exhibition match.....but she surely wouldn't want to take a chance of hurting a non-athlete like Stephanie McMahon, would she?

Then again, maybe the answer is to re-create WM31 for the McMahon-Rousey extravaganza......and have DX and NWO break up the one-on-one after a minute has gone by in the match. The fans will boo.....yet, how are you gonna realistically close a fight between these two women?

Of course, Brock Lesnar "broke" Stephanie's husband's arm without causing real damage, so.......

Why are WWE fans approaching this like it's an MMA fight?

The funniest thing is a lot of the people shooting this down because "if it was real Ronda would win in 10 seconds" are the same people who threw a fit because Daniel Bryan didn't go against Brock Lesnar at Mania. Guess what? If it was real, Lesnar would destroy Bryan.

It's friggin wrestling!

Nice strawman argument, stupid, but that's not what anyone is saying. The problem isn't Rousey being an MMA fighter and Steph being a wrestler. The problem is Steph isn't even a WRESTLER!!!! Pitting Rousey against a Diva could be a tough hill to climb depending on the Diva in question but you can easily build up one of the few girls that can work into a reputable opponent. Nothing can be done to build this nearly 40 year old business woman into a reputable opponent for the most dominant female fighter in the world right now.

Next time you go on one of your white knight missions, make sure you don't put your helmet on backwards.

The funniest thing is a lot of the people shooting this down because "if it was real Ronda would win in 10 seconds" are the same people who threw a fit because Daniel Bryan didn't go against Brock Lesnar at Mania. Guess what? If it was real, Lesnar would destroy Bryan.

It's friggin wrestling!

In any fight, skills trump size every time. That's the caveat. There's an excellent chance that Brock would kill Bryan in a fight and that's what makes the story compelling. Because there's a chance that if Brock makes a mistake, Bryan can capitalize because he's that good. It works precisely because it's friggin wrestling. Bryan is an underdog and a babyface, fighting a monster. It's classic David vs. Goliath.

Stephanie/Rhonda isn't comparable. Stephanie's an overbearing heel, not an underdog. Rhonda's draw is not that she's huge and therefore she'll beat you down like Brock. Her draw is that she's a precision killer who'll end you in record time no matter how good you are. How do you you plug Stephanie into that equation? Even if she runs, as soon as she puts her hands on Stephanie, it should be a wrap.

Sure, there's a way to make it work, but sometimes bad ideas are just best left in the trash.

Nice strawman argument, stupid, but that's not what anyone is saying. The problem isn't Rousey being an MMA fighter and Steph being a wrestler. The problem is Steph isn't even a WRESTLER!!!! Pitting Rousey against a Diva could be a tough hill to climb depending on the Diva in question but you can easily build up one of the few girls that can work into a reputable opponent. Nothing can be done to build this nearly 40 year old business woman into a reputable opponent for the most dominant female fighter in the world right now.

Next time you go on one of your white knight missions, make sure you don't put your helmet on backwards.

Wasn't NO REASON for you to come into this post all up in your feelings like that. Next time you try your snarky nerd routine, try it on someone who won't check that chin.

In any fight, skills trump size every time. That's the caveat. There's an excellent chance that Brock would kill Bryan in a fight and that's what makes the story compelling. Because there's a chance that if Brock makes a mistake, Bryan can capitalize because he's that good. It works precisely because it's friggin wrestling. Bryan is an underdog and a babyface, fighting a monster. It's classic David vs. Goliath.

Stephanie/Rhonda isn't comparable. Stephanie's an overbearing heel, not an underdog. Rhonda's draw is not that she's huge and therefore she'll beat you down like Brock. Her draw is that she's a precision killer who'll end you in record time no matter how good you are. How do you you plug Stephanie into that equation? Even if she runs, as soon as she puts her hands on Stephanie, it should be a wrap.

Sure, there's a way to make it work, but sometimes bad ideas are just best left in the trash.

The chances of Stephanie stacking the deck is pretty high. Ain't like it's a REAL physical competition here. Why are we still talking like they would be gearing up for an actual 1 on 1 physical competition?

Again.....it's wrestling!

The chances of Stephanie stacking the deck is pretty high. Ain't like it's a REAL physical competition here. Why are we still talking like they would be gearing up for an actual 1 on 1 physical competition?

Again.....it's wrestling!

Ok, it's wrestling. Apples & Oranges.

So then why have Rhonda Rousey in there at all? Why not Stephanie vs. Olivia Munn? Or Kate Upton?

It's because of her legit background. Which you undermine by having her face an executive in a competitive setting and having said executive last more than 1 second.

Ok, it's wrestling. Apples & Oranges.

So then why have Rhonda Rousey in there at all? Why not Stephanie vs. Olivia Munn? Or Kate Upton?

It's because of her legit background. Which you undermine by having her face an executive in a competitive setting and having said executive last more than 1 second.

Again, there are plenty of ways to work around that. I mean, Stephanie didn't even take on Vickie Guerrero straight up. Of course she's going to stack the deck in her favor.

Hell, they could even have one of the divas whose "spot" is supposedly being stolen by Stephanie look strong and fight Stephanie's battle for her.

They could have a bunch of divas, that Rhonda eventually fights her way through, creating a good moment where she's finally going to get her hands on Stephanie.

Plenty of possibilities. Those acting like it's going to be a straight up one on one athletic competition aren't seeing even the little picture, let alone the big one IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back