The greatest WWF/E wrestler to never win a title?

CM Steel

A REAL American
It's the wrestler's who wins the championship's in a promotion, not the other way around. But does a title help make a superstar in wrestling? When I think of "the greatest WWF/E wrestler to never win a title". I think of wrestler's like Jake "The Snake" Roberts. He was one of the WWF's biggest draws back in the late 1980's ti'l the early 90's. But he never won a title in the WWF, not even a tag team title.

So in your own opinion as a wrestling fan. Who is/was the greatest WWF/E wrestler to never win a title in their respective careers?

i think i agree with you on jake the snake it was a shame he was a great heel and the snake gimmick he did was brilliant his fued with randy savage was so intense with what he did for wwe and what he ran with the story lines i really think he was world title material

Good thread, really got me thinking, Jake the Snake is a good call, also people like Roddy Piper, Owen Hart, the British bulldog, Ted Dibiase but my choice would be Mr Perfect, such a shame he never got the big one i loved Curt Hennig was my absolute favourite growing up loved him in the ring loved him on commentary, i hope his son can achieve what he never did, that would be a fantastic moment but first he would have too start using his father name.

I don't mean to be "picky", but this thread all depends on what you exactly mean by the question. Jake the Snake never won any titles in WCW or WWF, but he was the Smokey Mountain Champion.

If a wrestler makes it to the "big time" they have probably held a title in some promotion at some point in time.

If you are talking about just "big" promotions, then the only ones I can think of would be Jake the Snake, Brooklyn Brawler, Doink the Clown, and Stevie Richards (maybe, I don't think Stevie won one).

If you are talking about just "world titles", then the obvious choices would be either Scott Hall or Rowdy Piper...

Good thread, really got me thinking, Jake the Snake is a good call, also people like Roddy Piper, Owen Hart, the British bulldog, Ted Dibiase but my choice would be Mr Perfect, such a shame he never got the big one i loved Curt Hennig was my absolute favourite growing up loved him in the ring loved him on commentary, i hope his son can achieve what he never did, that would be a fantastic moment but first he would have too start using his father name.

If the OP is talking about "any" titles then your choices are not relevant. If he is just talking world titles then Curt Hennig is definitely someone who should have been a world heavyweight champion.

The Million $ Man definitely should've won the WWF Championship..He had a helluva lot of potential as far as storylines and feuds were concerned..Savage vs Dibiase for the WWF Championship or Mr. Perfect vs Dibiase would've been classic matches/feuds..Dibiase was very talented in the ring, on the mic and had great psychology behind his actions.

Mr. Perfect also had quite a bit of potential to be a great WWF Champion..He had a presence, a unique wrestling style and very consistent mic skills..Based on what I've seen, Perfect could pull a good match out of just about anyone, including The Ultimate Warrior..It's too damn bad that Hennig never got a proper high-profile feud with Randy Savage while they were in their prime in the WWF

Dibiase has to feel the most ripped off, being at the finals with savage at mania 4, only to have them go with savage instead of himself...though im sure hogan had somethign to do with that, as he had just as much to benefit from it all...

technically, dibiase v savage DID wrestle for the WWF Championship...wrestlemania 4...lol, but classic none the less...

id have to say the superfly jimmy snuka if we are jus counting the major companys, but he was the 1st ever ecw champ so that counts him out. i might be able to say ronnie garvin. but alas he was a former nwa world champ. there isnt one person in pro wrestling that hasnt held some kinda championship. so im gonna stay with the supafly

If it wasnt for Hogan dominating the 80s and 90s, I really do think guys like Ted Dibiase, Jake Roberts and Mr Perfect would have been world champions. If they were active today, for sure they would have had the gold. Imagine a Daniel Bryan-Perfect match or a CM Punk vs Perfect match.
These guys were fed to Hogan but Hogan was never really chasing after a title. If he was the contender, you knew he was going to win it back.

Personally I would say Tatanka. He was the first Goldberg going a year undefeated on TV. He was one of my favorite and never got to hold a major promotion title. He was interesting too me, along with Max Moon and Papa Shango.

But greats I would have to say Dusty Rhodes. He won tons of title in many different companies but never got a chance to wear the WWE or World title.

This is a slam dunk answer and I never even had to give it a second thought. This guy was the most technically gifted wrestler the WWE had in a long time aside from Bret Hart. Damn Hogan for hogging the spotlight.

Mr Perfect

My answer is: Rick Martel never holding a singles title in WWF. I could see him as a babyface or heel IC Champ. Jake Roberts is a close second. Also Haksaw Jim Duggan should have eventually turned heel and had an IC run (I guess we couldnt count him since he had a US title run in WCW). Someone mentioned Tatanka, thats also a good answer.

People have to remember that this thread is about people who NEVER held any championship in their career. So people saying Curt Hennig are wrong because he was a multiple time IC champion.

With that said, yes Jake Roberts and Ted DiBiase are really good answers in regards to those who never held a championship.

But I have to go with "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff. If my memory serves me correct, he was never a champion whether it be a world championship, ic title, or tag title.

BG.

Does Andre The Giant count?

He never really "won" the title (Hebner's twin was "on the take" from DiBiase and did a fast count on Hogan and then Andre gave the title to DiBiase). The belt was then held up and a tournament at WM 4 was held to crown a champion.

People have to remember that this thread is about people who NEVER held any championship in their career. So people saying Curt Hennig are wrong because he was a multiple time IC champion.

With that said, yes Jake Roberts and Ted DiBiase are really good answers in regards to those who never held a championship.

But I have to go with "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff. If my memory serves me correct, he was never a champion whether it be a world championship, ic title, or tag title.

BG.

Well if you want to be so picky smartass Orndorff won titles in WCW and NWA, its not hard to get confused with this thread and its quite obvious why some people have given the answers they have so if anyone is wrong its your for acting like a douche

I see a whole ton of people have ignored the question and not read the original post ... nice and typical in these parts.

The question is ANY title ... and I am assuming to be fair that includes only the major companies (WCW/NWA and WWF/WWE) ... Jake the Snake has to be the top guy to get a mention here.

The fact that this guy NEVER had ANY title of any sort in the WWE is completely mind-boggling. He was way over, the center of many feuds ... and still never had a strap.

Someone else mentioned Tatanka ... and that is definitely a pretty good pull. He could have easily been IC material. Dusty Rhodes is also a good one ... but it was more due to the fact that his best years were before the mega corporations came around so when he was in WWE he really had past his prime already.

So for me ... Jake the Snake it is.

If you mean the World title then it would be British Bulldog or Curt Henning but if you mean any title at all then I'd agree with you on Jake "the Snake" Roberts although I wasn't around for any of these people Career's. I have seen tapes and videos and I was impressed and surprised that none of these won a World title and was even more so when I found out Roberts never won any (I always thought he held the IC title).

BG.

If you are saying any title then Dibiase doesn't work as well since he had tag gold with IRS. Jake the snake is the only glaring one I can think of. Piper had that one tag title with Flair in the 2000s but other than that I cant remember any from his prime.

How about Bam Bam? Did he ever hold gold in the major feds? That would mean we are excluding ECW and definately exluding WCW hardcore title.

If you are saying any title then Dibiase doesn't work as well since he had tag gold with IRS. Jake the snake is the only glaring one I can think of. Piper had that one tag title with Flair in the 2000s but other than that I cant remember any from his prime.

How about Bam Bam? Did he ever hold gold in the major feds? That would mean we are excluding ECW and definately exluding WCW hardcore title.

I have tomake one correction to myself because I just remembered Piper's IC title and subsequent feud with the hitman

I don't mean to be "picky", but this thread all depends on what you exactly mean by the question. Jake the Snake never won any titles in WCW or WWF, but he was the Smokey Mountain Champion.

If a wrestler makes it to the "big time" they have probably held a title in some promotion at some point in time.

If you are talking about just "big" promotions, then the only ones I can think of would be Jake the Snake, Brooklyn Brawler, Doink the Clown, and Stevie Richards (maybe, I don't think Stevie won one).

If you are talking about just "world titles", then the obvious choices would be either Scott Hall or Rowdy Piper...

I wasn't going to comment on this post but when I saw that this Mickey Jamoke thinks that Doink the "garbage" Clown should have won a title, I couldn't stop laughing...That is one of the more RIDICULOUS things i've read on wrestlezone in a long time. He was a jobber at best. I hope you were high on drugs when you wrote that.

if we're talking about winning any title in a major federation I will have to go with Jake "The Snake" Roberts. He always has been and always will be a favorite of mine. That whole storyline with Ultimate Warrior would have been the perfect opportunity for him to springboard into a world title using the "I'm in your head" gimmick or at least a tag title with Undertaker.

but if we're talking just world title. it's Andre the Giant. I don't consider that controversial win or the 5 seconds he held it as actually being champion no matter how anyone slices it. The man was imposing and seemed unbeatable, even when he was face they should of ran with his popularity. Too bad Hogan was in his way.

I wasn't going to comment on this post but when I saw that this Mickey Jamoke thinks that Doink the "garbage" Clown should have won a title, I couldn't stop laughing...That is one of the more RIDICULOUS things i've read on wrestlezone in a long time. He was a jobber at best. I hope you were high on drugs when you wrote that.

This whole post obviously went "high" over your head.

I never said that Doink the Clown deserved to wear a championship. I was merely listing off a few people who were well known to wrestling fans that never won a title. JESUS!!!

The only one of the bunch that deserved a title run was Jake the Snake. The other 3 didn't deserve one.

C'mon dude, I know that you are better than that...

The greatest to never win a title in the WWE are "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff, who was one of my favourites growing up. As a toughman rival to Hulk Hogan, I really thought he'd win the WWE title at least once. That never came to fruition. Other two guys that never won a title in the WWE are Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka and King Kong Bundy. Both guys were massively popular at one time in their respective careers in the WWE, but neither won any titles. Bam Bam Bigelow is another great WWE wrestler that never won a title there. It's kind of unfortunate looking back at these guys 'cause when you look at today's roster, only about 10-20% have never won titles and the rest have multiple times. I understand that they were two different time periods, but come on, it's so easy to win a title in today's WWE compared to then.

And if we're talking about more current former WWE stars that never won the title, but were great? Jimmy Wang Yang. This guy hasn't won a single title in his entire wrestling career even outside of the WWE, but he has so much in-ring talent.

I agree with the above poster that said Mr. Wonderful. He was in the main event of Wrestlemania, good feud with Hogan, put on really good matches. Jake the Snake is another that stands out. Great heel or face great gimmick, better than great promos. hard to believe he never won a singles title in WWE.

Surprised nobody has said Rick Rude. A two time IC champion , great mic skills great gimmick and has the look of a world champion its a shame such a great competetor passed away he could have been WCW champion or made his WWE return and become WWE champion

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back