• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Greatest Old School Tag Team of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edge and Christian,The Hardyz,D-X
not only did E & C have the charisma,the skill and the chemistry together they were funny as hell

Only one other person has mentioned them

The New Age Outlaws. I loved their entrance, they have pretty good moves.

But a team that was better then them, i gotta go with APA. They did for the cash, but they made it cool. I mean, how funny was it when they got upset that no one knocked on their door? Classic

i would have to go with the miz and jericho simply because they are the two best yes i know they officialy havent announced them selfs yet but after wat they did to the harts i think there gunna go for the belts.. but when were talking great tag teams i would say the hardys,the steiners brothers and eddie and chavo

I don't think anyone got me as pepped up for a tag team match as much as the New Age Outlaws. In all seriousness though, I can't think of a memorable NAO match off the top of my head. But it doesn't really matter to me. They were awesome on the mic, especially Jesse James, and during the attitude era, they had a hell of a pop when coming to the ring. EVERYBODY, whether they liked them or not, joined in their whole schpiel before their matches. It was awesome.

But in terms of matches, I really loved the Hardys. I love to see people give up everything in order to get a win and there was nobody then, now, or possibly even in the future that could ever match the crazy crap they did to win.

But I'm surprised nobody has mentioned any women's tag teams (especially Falkon). Though there aren't incredibly memorable tag teams from year's past, I am a major fan of the current incarnation of the Beautiful People. They have my favorite Knockout on the team in Madison Rayne, the unbelievable hotness of Velvet Sky, and the ditzy blondeness of Lacey Von Erich, which despite her unbelieveable ring skills (yeah, right!), she always makes me laugh during TBP's backstage segments. Not to mention, they have all the KO gold right now. If they did all the classic stuff again like when Angelina Love was in the group, I don't think anyone would question how great today's Beautiful People are.

The Bulldogs truly revolutionsied tag wrestling as they brought in the Japanese style... The Roadies were the first real "Gimmick Team" to get over nationally but of them all The Steiners truly were epic in their prime... Scott Steiner was really something special back in the early 1990's such a shame his back gave out... Rick was always a strong wrestler who could have had a great singles career if people hadn't been wowed by his bro...

But the truly best team of the era was the Blondes... no question... Out of nothing came chemistry that arguably slow poisoned tag wrestling... no one could ever top it...

i have to go with the roadwarriors. i know i,m a little late it's because i just joined but no other tagteam has work harder or more respected yeah you could argue team 3d former dudley boys hart foundation or dx the steiners but no other team has one the pwi tag team of the year 4 times so i am going with the roadwarriors

MY Top 10 List of the Greatest Tag Teams in the History of WWF/WWE and WCW:

#10 - Rated-RKO ( Edge and Randy Orton )

They formed in October of 2006 on a Raw episode which Edge had Orton as a guest on the Cutting Edge segment. Edge talked about how Orton was getting held back by D-Generation X (Triple H and Shawn Michaels) which ended up forming Rated-RKO to feud with D-Generation X. What impressed me the most about this team was how well they worked together. It looked like they had been teaming with each other for years with the chemistry they had, obviously it helped that Edge had been in Tag Team matches his whole career and Orton was a great in-ring performer. Rated-RKO lasted only 6 months as a Tag Team and ended up winning the Tag Team championships once, but what gets them on the list is their chemistry they had together and how well those two combined to make a great heel Tag Team.

#9 - The British Bulldogs ( Davey Boy Smith and The Dynamite Kid )

These two were real-life cousins and ended up forming as a Tag Team on UK''s ITV Wrestling show, World Of Sport. The Tag Team eventually gained worldwide fame in the WWF competing in memorable feuds with the likes of The Hart Foundation. The team is also remembered by famous musician, Ozzy Osbourne, who managed the team during an appearance at Wrestlemania two, in which they won the World Tag Team Championships. What gets them on the list is their flare they had and still to this day one of the greatest and most successful teams that Great Britain has ever sent to the WWF/WWE.

#8 - The Steiner Brothers ( Scott Steiner and Rick Steiner )

The Steiners graduated as all-Americans from Michigan, as talented amateur wrestlers aspiring to use their talents to get to the top of professional wrestling business as a Tag Team. The Steiner Brothers are known mostly for their time spent in WCW during the 90''s, where they engaged in a legendary feud with Doom(Ron Simmons and Butch Reed), as well as many other Tag Teams on the scene at the time. What gets them on the list is both of the Steiner''s, Rick especially, were famous for their powerful hard hitting maneuvers and that they had success for many years as a Tag Team, working for alot of different places.

#7 - Harlem Heat ( Booker T and Stevie Ray )

These two were real-life brothers and had always had dreamed to make it to the wrestling business as a Tag Team. Their success as a Tag Team started mainly when they hit WCW in the early 90''s. They went on to become ten time WCW World Tag Team Champions and sealing their fate as one of the greatest Tag Teams to enter the sport in many years, winning the titles a record Ten times, the most in the history of WCW. During their time spent in the company, they engaged in several memorable matches and feuds with wrestlers'' such as Sting & Lex Luger, The Steiner Brothers and The Road Warriors, and many more. What gets them on the list is their success as a Tag Team and their amazing ability to work as one in the ring.

#6 - Edge and Christian

These two were very close friends and formed as a Tag Team on the canadian independent wrestling circuit. Formerly known as High Impact, and later on The Suicide Blondes while on the independant circuits, in the WWF the team was billed as Edge and Christian and re-imaged as brothers instead of just close friends. The team held titles in numerous wrestling promotions before signing with the WWF. The team is mainly famous for their feuds, in-ring abililty together, and for competing/winning of matches like TLC(Tables, Ladders, and Chairs) and ladder matches. They have won the WWF Tag Team Championships 7 times with countless defenses. What gets this team on the list is their in-ring ability together, how well the two worked together with storylines, and memorable matches they have had.

#5 - The Hardy Boyz ( Jeff Hardy and Matt Hardy )

These two were real-life brothers and first began teaming together in 1993 in independent promotions in North Carolina. The Hardy Boyz gained fame for their participation in ladder matches and TLC(Tables, Ladders, and Chairs) matches. In the WWE/WWF they are six-time World Tag Team Champions and former WCW World Tag Team Champions. They were always a crowd favorite. What gets them on the list is their flare, in-ring ability together, their risk-taking attitude, their storylines/feuds, and their many memorable matches.

#4 - The Rock ''N'' Roll Express ( Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson)

Two great friends with great trust for each other. The Rock ''N'' Roll Express were famous for living their name, they were their name. Classic rock star hair, metal loving, high flyers who stole the show wherever they wrestled. Other than their legendary feud with the midnight express, Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson have had great matches with the likes of the legendary Four Horsemen and The Heavenly Bodies. Much as the teams above, Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson are a Tag Team who can get a crowd working just by stepping into a ring, Tag Team legends of old-school wrestling. What gets them on this list is there exreme flare, amazing in-ring ability together, chemistry, and that they just electricfied the crowd every single time they performed.

#3 - Team 3D / The Dudley Boys ( Brother Ray and Brother Devon )

The team originated in the old Extreme Championship Wrestling as a stable with several members, but the team of Brother Ray and Brother Devon were the best known of the stable, and went on to capture the Tag Team championships in ECW a record Eight times. They eventually went on to the WWF/WWE, capturing the titles there again, Eight times, as well as an unofficial WCW World Tag Team Championship run. Team 3D is one of the most decorated Tag Teams of all-time and without a doubt when the time comes for them to retire, they will be remembered as one of the best of all time. They have earned legendary status by holding every major world Tag Team championship in America, as well as several championships in Japan. This team has made the list well its obvious if you read above, all Tag Teams need to follow The Dudley Boys way!

#2 - The Hart Foundation ( Jim ''The Anvil'' Neidhart and Bret ''The Hitman'' Hart )

The original Hart Foundation consisted of Bret ''The Hitman'' Hart and Jim ''The Anvil'' Neidhart, managed by ''The Mouth Of The South'' Jimmy Hart. The team enjoyed success in the WWF originally as Heels, bringing a fresh new approach to the WWF''s Tag Team division with Bret being the more technical and agile performer, and Neidhart being the powerful brawler. The team eventually turned Face after Jimmy Hart turned his back on them, and they got over with the fans immensely which led to two runs with the Tag Team championships. The original Hart Foundation eventually split up after Bret started a singles run, but their legacy still remains. The time they broke into the WWF as a Tag Team was a time where great and innovative Tag Teams were quite rare within the company, and the foundation, set the foundation for the future great Tag Teams over their tenure, as face and heel, engaging in amazing and memorable matches with the likes of The British Bulldogs and The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers. These guys made the list because they revolutionized Tag Team wrestling and made it what it is today, and made it so popular.

#1 - The Road Warriors ( Hawk and Animal )

Best friends since childhood, making the chemistry they share in the ring a hundred percent natural. Chemistry is what makes a Tag Team successful, knowing each others styles and knowing each others moves, trusting each other completely. This was the way of the warriors. Whenever you mention Tag Team wrestling, whenever you mention Tag Team gold, you automatically think, The Road Warriors, the Legion Of Doom, Hawk And Animal. They will without a doubt go down as one of, if not the greatest and most decorated Tag Teams in the history of the sport itself. Also creating the most famous Tag Team finisher ever, The Doomsday Device. These guys made the list because they are the list. No team will ever pass the greatness that was, The Road Warriors!

Hope you enjoyed it! Make sure you stay alert for the next edition of What Ever, and don''t forget to check out my other article, The Smackdown Low-down!

It depends on how far back you mean by "Old School". If you mean Pre-WWE era, I say AA and Tully. Those two could tear it up in any situation. Even if they lost, they tore the roof off the place. If you're talking 90's, Dudleys. No doubt about it. Again, one of those teams that are good as heels, faces, tweeners, even as jobbers. If they're faces, they are laughing at you and making jokes at your expense the entire promo. If they're heels, they are telling you that they are going to kick your ass all over the ring and then Devon will get the tables. If they're tweeners, they will tell you they're coming for those belts, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Last I heard, they were 22 time tag champs. They've probably collected 3 more championship reigns since I looked five minutes ago. Haha, but in all seriousness, Dudleys take it. And to the guy who said Jericho and Miz, shoot yourself. Miz hasn't even been around long enough to SEE the old school, let alone take place in it.

I'll go with the Rock 'N Roll Express. The were the draws. Probably the biggest draw of all the 80's teams. They were the top babyface team of the NWA and as great as the WWF tag teams were, they weren't huge draws. Saying the R'nR Express were over was an understatement. They had the feuds too, Rude and Manny, The Andersons, The Midnight Express, all classics. They might not have had as long on top as the Road Warriors had but they sold tickets.

Also, Ric Flair had the most heat in his career when he broke Ricky Morton's nose. Even though Flair was the top heel, he had the respect of the fans. Just proves how over this team was.

btw, my personal all-time favorite, the New Breed. Chris Champion is the most underrated performer to ever step in the ring, or handle the mic for that matter.

They may not be known as the Greatest, but I have to to with The Outsiders too, Because WCW is what I started watching first, when I was younger, and I was a HUGE NWO fan, and Scott Hall fan.. I just wish that now, WWE would build their Tag Teams up, and make the Tag Team Division better, I know they are starting to improve, but there is a lot they can do still yet...

They may not be known as the Greatest, but I have to to with The Outsiders too, Because WCW is what I started watching first, when I was younger, and I was a HUGE NWO fan, and Scott Hall fan.. I just wish that now, WWE would build their Tag Teams up, and make the Tag Team Division better, I know they are starting to improve, but there is a lot they can do still yet...

I really wouldn't call the Outsiders great. They were a major part of the greatest angle in wrestling history,I give them that. But other than that,I'll say they were a good tag team. But the fact that they pretty much called the shots due to the creative control clauses in their contract,the fact that Eric Bischoff pretty much killed off the tag team division,and the fact that the moment they had to put another team over they basically took their ball and went home is what is stopping me from putting them in the all time greats category.

Oh, Sweet Jesus. So uch wrong with this post, I can;t even begin. Actually, I will, really.

I really wouldn't call the Outsiders great. They were a major part of the greatest angle in wrestling history,I give them that. But other than that,I'll say they were a good tag team.

Oh, I'm sorry, you'll give them credit for pretty much revolutionizing the business, starting The Monday Night Wars, being mad over as heels to the point of helping Hogan get over as a heel, and overall just being the reason WCW stayed afloat.

But either than that, they were a good tag team?

But the fact that they pretty much called the shots due to the creative control clauses in their contract,

They never had Creative Control, mate. That belonged to one wrestler, Hulk Hogan.

the fact that Eric Bischoff pretty much killed off the tag team division,

You mean in an era where you had The Harlem Heat, The Steiners, The Public fucking Enemy, Lex Luger and the Giant, The Blue Bloods, all as tag teams in the era, the tag team division was dead. Right....

and the fact that the moment they had to put another team over they basically took their ball and went home is what is stopping me from putting them in the all time greats category.

Evidence? Cite a source, maybe?

Look, undoubtedly, The Outsiders deserve a nod as The Greatest Old School Tag Team of All Time, but I'm going a different way, and saying The New Age Outlaws. They were the first tag team to prove that Tag Teams can be main event material. When you look at how many people in the crowd were singing their damn catchphrases, and buting their merch, you realize this was the most over team in the history of professional wrestling. More over than The Road Warriors, Steiners, Demolition, Hart Foundation, all of them. They won the gold as many times to prove they were the best, and didn't take uneccesary reigns, a la The Dudleys. They were your cosumate good workers who were damn over on the mic, and revolutionized how the WWE felt about tag teams. Has to be the New Age Outlaws, and it isn't even close

Oh, Sweet Jesus. So uch wrong with this post, I can;t even begin. Actually, I will, really.

Oh, I'm sorry, you'll give them credit for pretty much revolutionizing the business, starting The Monday Night Wars, being mad over as heels to the point of helping Hogan get over as a heel, and overall just being the reason WCW stayed afloat.

But either than that, they were a good tag team?

They never had Creative Control, mate. That belonged to one wrestler, Hulk Hogan.

You mean in an era where you had The Harlem Heat, The Steiners, The Public fucking Enemy, Lex Luger and the Giant, The Blue Bloods, all as tag teams in the era, the tag team division was dead. Right....

Evidence? Cite a source, maybe?

Look, undoubtedly, The Outsiders deserve a nod as The Greatest Old School Tag Team of All Time, but I'm going a different way, and saying The New Age Outlaws. They were the first tag team to prove that Tag Teams can be main event material. When you look at how many people in the crowd were singing their damn catchphrases, and buting their merch, you realize this was the most over team in the history of professional wrestling. More over than The Road Warriors, Steiners, Demolition, Hart Foundation, all of them. They won the gold as many times to prove they were the best, and didn't take uneccesary reigns, a la The Dudleys. They were your cosumate good workers who were damn over on the mic, and revolutionized how the WWE felt about tag teams. Has to be the New Age Outlaws, and it isn't even close

I suggest you go and read Death of WCW. That's where I got it from. It's all in there. Unlike you I don't try to pass off my opinion as fact.

I suggest you go and read Death of WCW. That's where I got it from. It's all in there. Unlike you I don't try to pass off my opinion as fact.

I have. absolutely nothing said about Creative Control for either Kevin Nash, or Scott Hall. Eric said he'd often listen to Hall and Nash, and that much is true, but neither of them had Creative Control written in their contract. Furthermore, Hall and Nash worked from 1996 to 1997 in the Tag Team Division, at that point were actually damn hungry before they got lazy, and provided The Steiners and Harlem Heat, along with The Faces of Fear, with the best matches of their careers. No, that isn't a typo, more people cared about these teams going against The Outisiders than ever before in their entire fucking career.

Trust me, man, I know what I speak of. Perhaps you oughta just go back to a little more research.

The greatest era in tag team wrestling was the 80's. Period. No tag teams from before or after that period ever even came close to the quality of tag team wrestling that existed in that period.

My top 4: Demoltion, Hart Foundation, British Bulldogs, Road Warriors. I don't know how anyone could pick anyone other than one of those 4 teams. Me personally, I go with Ax & Smash, but that's just me.

I'd have to go with the Road Warriors myself although the Steiner Bros are a close second.
Tully and Arn are in the running too. I'd even throw in the Rock&Roll Express and Midnight Express (Lane/Eaton) as some of the best ever. Without the moves they pulled off, innovative teamwork (esp. the midnight express) I don't think we would have had some of the teams we do today.

im gonna go with the obvious one and most peoples choice LOD. theye were dominant and huge. LOD was an awesome tag team, plus that music, just awesome ooooooooo what a rush!!!
2nd i would say demolition these guys were just awesome.

The Hardy Boyz were fantastic in their prime with all their high flying offense and great matches, they were the most entertaining tag team for me to watch.

everyone has been writing about the this team and that team but their a couple i haven't seen on here yet and that is the fantastics, and the fabulous ones

I personally like the Hart Foundation. They were one of the most dominint teams ever. I also like DX but not the newer versions but the classic one from the Attitude Era.

Demolition, great heels, great faces, great entrances, great music ( love both tunes) great attire great finisher, great run, still the longest if I'm not mistaken, to me that had everything you could ask for in a tag team, also worth mentioning LOD, Steiners, Midnight Express, Hart F, Outsiders, ron simmons n butch reed, muta n vampiro (know I'll get flak for that one... but fuck it heh)

It's a tough call. I'd narrow it down to two; Road Warriors, the Midnight Express.

The Road Warriors- Bad-ass. Enough said. They got SUPER over everywhere they went, and are the only ones to hold the WWF, AWA, and NWA titles. An impressive feat.

Midnight Express- Again, super over, drawing power. Three-time NWA tag-team champions. Amazing matches. Classic feuds with the Road Warriors, The Brainbusters, and the Rock'n'Roll Express.

A more modern choice for me is the Hardyz. Yeas,they aren't well liked in the IWC for various reasons, and they can be spot monkeys, but they were not only super-over, but put on the Attitude Era's most entertaining matches. They ushered in (along with Mick Foley) an era of crazy bumps, innovative finishers, and the third Golden Age of tag-team wrestling.

The outsiders by far because they had the greatest angle in history with the nwo invasion

Sure, the outsiders were a good team but come on! They could not win a match without outside interference and cheating. They are somewhere way way down the list in my book to the likes of the Road Warriors, Team 3D, The Rockers, Hart Foundation, The Nasty Boys, The Mega Powers and so on and so on. Just because they had the greatest angle does not make them the best tag team

Surprised no one has showed any love for the British Bulldogs, either way I'd have to say The Outsiders or The Dudley Boys. Both teams where super over and could work a crowd. Both also had numerous title reigns and where consistently entertaining. There stuff in TNA may suck, but back in the day they where the top two tag teams in terms of drawing power and match quality.

I also can't narrow down to one. I agree with all the posts regarding the Road Warriors, but also want to include these in my list:

Fabulous Freebirds: No matter what the incarnation, the Freebirds always made you stand up and shout. Michael PS Hayes made whoever he was in the ring with look like a million bucks! I even didn't mind the ill-fated attempt at "Backstreet" AKA Brad Armstrong in a spiderman style full bodysuit.

The Brainbusters: They were bad before it was cool to be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back