The Greatest Old School Tag Team of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two teams that are a tossup

1) The Minnesota Wrecking Crew: Ole and Arn Anderson were not only brutal but deathly efficient. They would go into a match and beat you down, grab a limb, and try to tear it off of your body. They were a team that no matter who faced them they looked at that team as if they were just two more people to hurt, and they usually accomplished their goal. They mastered cutting the ring in half while keeping each other fresh. To say that these guys were dominant in professional wrestling would be a gross understatement.

2) Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson: These two guys invented the art of manipulating the referee to being out of position. They were great in every way. They mixed brains, brawn, speed, physicality, ground and pound, all of it so damn well it was like the birth of what are now known as basic tactics that teams use today. If they weren't getting blackballed by Crockett Promotions and Tully hadn't snorted that cocain the day before his drug test in WCW they would be talked about as the greatest Tag Team of all time.
You said it! Tully and Arn define tag team wrestling. The Horsemen were never the same without Tully. Could you imagine the great bouts they could of had with the Steiner Brothers? Oh man that would of been HUGE!

I was a big fan of Ric Flair and Greg Valentine. They both complemented each other and both possessed the figure four. Also Larry The Ax Hennig and Harley Race come to mind when i think of great tag teams

How about the Brothers of Destruction? These guys didn't have to win gold to be the best. Their appearance in the ring made it badass enough and gave a f'n awesome appeal every time they came out with all their dominant force!!

I am amazed anyone can say any other team than The British Bulldogs. For all the Warriors "success" it was the Bulldogs who made Tag Team wrestling relevant, hot and exciting in the early-mid 80's.

Here were two guys who were great on their own, but more than the sum of their parts when together. Dynamite was top 5 in the world but with Davey he took on an extra dimension. Davey's slightly bigger, more gymnastic/power style complimented Dynamites technical and flying far more than Animal and Hawk complimented each other.

The Road Warriors were draws, that much is clear - but ultimately they failed in the WWF and only really Hawk got over in Japan, the Bulldogs succeeded in the WWF AND in Japan.

Honorable mentions go to the Hollywood Blondes, Hart Foundation and The Rockers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back