• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Era of General Manager Regal

The_8000

So I thought I would start a thread asking about thoughts on different parts of past years in WWE.
I'm gonna go ahead and start with April/May 2008 when William Regal was the GM of Raw

Notabale points of these two months would include
  • William Regal as the 'Drunk with power General Manager, faced with the return of Mr.Kennedy.
  • The feud between WWE Champion Triple H and Randy Orton
  • The feud between JBL and John Cena which ultimatley led to a garage brawl or something.
  • The Y2J/HBK feud which of course involved Chris throwing Shawn into the highlight reel TV screen.
  • London/Kendrick were the tag team champs feuding with Cade & Murdoch
  • Paul Burchill and Katie LEa Burchill were starting to crawl up the proverbial ladder.

So...thoughts on this time?

Also if this has been done before, i am sorry. I looked through threads and couldn't find anything similar.
And if this is in the wriong place, feel free to move it.

Disappointed...thought this was speculating that Regal was the new GM...

Either way, I enjoyed GM Regal until he pissed hot and got sent home for 60 days. He's been a JTTJ (jobber to the jobbers) since then.

Everyone else you mentioned, sans Orton, Cena, and Jericho, are no longer with the company or on TV (Trips is having a little vay cay).

regal was beautiful as the power hungry GM, he was so deserving of that push and he literally pissed it away, and never recieved a second well actually a 4th or 5th chance to revive his career sad to see a great guy with all the technical skill and wonderful mic presence be wasted every week

Almost think that this should be in the old school section. Regal tanked everything when he got suspended, basically removing what could have been a great push.

Have always like William Regal.

Regal was an awesome general manager, but he screwed both his role and career up when he got suspended due to drug use. I thought he was perfect as the general manager, and the night where he shut the show off before it ended, during what could qualify as a Wrestlemania main event, was one of the most bad ass moves I can remember seeing a GM do. I really hope the the new behind the scenes general manager is actually Regal because then we could hopefully get more moments like last time he was in power.

He wasn't GM for two months... Regal became GM around August 2007 (it may have been earlier) and was 'fired' in May 2008. You may be thinking of when he was KOTR (which were the last 2 months of his being GM I think). When he was GM HBK made his return. HBK came back and was feuding with Orton I think in October/November of 07. This was also when Flair's retirement angle was taking place.

Cena was also injured during this time period which ended the lengthy title reign. Until eventually he came back and as you said, feuded with JBL (which I enjoyed despite not liking Cena at all)

I actually enjoyed this time period a lot but it was basically an entire year, from mid 2007 - mid 2008. This really was the last period when I was interested in WWE, and 2008 was the last full year I watched it, so in my opinion the era of Regal as GM was better than the current era of the WWE.

But as for the last two months of his reign as GM specifically, I liked Regal as GM. It's really sad that he got suspended, because he's one of the few wrestlers currently in the WWE that I really enjoy watching and it would have been nice to see the push go through.

Oh and that 'lights out' thing in the middle of the Orton vs Punk main event was great, he got intense heat for it and really just pissed everybody off. Very good GM in my opinion.

Regal was awesome as the General Manager of RAW and I was wishing before Bret was chosen would be the guy to take over. RAW needs a heel GM as Teddy Long has the face job on SmackDown. It makes for distinctive differences in television when things are happy go lucky on SmackDown and absolute hell on RAW. Regal is definitely the guy to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back