• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

the effect of multi man main events

nish2231995

Occasional Pre-Show
Alighty, so basically i wanted to know if people out there on the internet agrees with me when i say that mutli man main events for raw and smackdown cause ratings.
We the people havent seen multi man main events like cena + cryme tyme vs jbl and priceless, or hbk and batista, vs jericho, jbl and cade for a while. we get the brodus clay and del rio vs edge and christian, but thats not exactly what im on about.
So what are your thoughts on these type matches? do they add more feud to rivalries? do they make better matches? do they revive the dying tag team division? do they help heels like cade did when he pinned hbk in the match ive discussed. do they help work over faces?

I don't see how they'd have any real impact on ratings. Many times the matches aren't even announced until the show's already started and by then you already have your audience. I suppose there could be a benefit in that you increase your chances of retaining some fans over others by having so many stars participating, but I doubt many fans change the channel after they've seen their personal favorite and just ignore the show's Main Event.

Personally, I rarely enjoy those matches. I typically find that when two or three different feuds are fused into one match it does little to progress anything or make me feel better/worse about the individual feuds. It feels like a waste of time. Now I can understand doing it during the go-home show before a PPV when storylines are pretty well established and you're just waiting for the payoff, but again I'm left wondering what more you could have done to increase the hype for that PPV match instead of just having the two guys stare at each across the ring for 5-10 minutes.

Also, to answer one of your questions, what good could they possibly do for the tag division? Random teams formed for a one-time match with the titles not involved; that's not even part of the tag division. If anything, those matches probably push the real tag teams off the card for a week and do more to hurt and help.

As for helping faces and heels, these matches no more or less serve that purpose than any other kind of match. Does Cade pinning HBK in a six-man tag do any more to put him over than if he'd pinned him in a singles match with outside interference? It's the same result with slightly different execution.

I think main event tag matches on Raw and Smackdown are only beneficial as filler. Whatever good comes of it is usually for the sake of instant gratification in terms of the live audience and just being able to fill a time slot with exposure for more superstars. Storyline's are not usually furthered (The Cade thing is probably an anomaly). I, personally, don't think they are anything special and would rather see a 6 person tag or mixed tag in the midcard.
Unless there's an unpredictable situation like in the case where Edge and Christian v Del Rio/Clay in which its possible Edge or Christian would turn on one another over the championship.

I Agree with MizterColemine!!
I would rather see that on the mid-card, the point of having this matches as main-event can only be 'cause:

- They are DX, so they dont need any presentation;
- They want to satisfy live audience;
- They dont know what to do more;

I only like to see that on Main Event when are betrayals XD

They always use those leading upto every single ppv, what are u talking about?
the 4 people that will be in the 2 main matches for each brand end up being in tag matches on there respective shows.

It's been like that for decades.

I don't think they have any real effect on the buy rates as they aren't announced until the show is underway for the most part and a result of "a scuffle" leading from 2 of the stars either confronting each other or being in a match early in the night.

But anyone with half a brain know's they will happen usually in the last 2 weeks b4 the next PPV.

Really they are just filler matches, but they have the advantage of possibly throwing in an alternative result to what the PPV will deliver, so the participant set to lose at the PPV gets a measure of pre-revenge or vice versa.

Yeah i agree with above posters that these matches are mostly used for fillers before a ppv. most likely to keep the feud hot, team to faces in the feud up against the heels, and if they end the way the match on the RAW before WrestleMania 24 ended, it hurts no1.
(the match before WM i think was hhh,hbk,flair,cena, vs. orton,jbl,umaga,bigshow) hhh/cena/orton brawled out of the match, hbk and flair also brawled (the heels opponents weren't included in the brawl) and eventually flair made orton tap out.
these main events are good ways to end the month before a ppv

You know I guess it might help if the E was to promote that match like a week or two earlier but it doesn't help one bit when its not be promoted. Do I like main events like that?? Yeah there alright you get a lot of big names in the ring at one time, but I also feel it takes away ring time that you'd vs a one on one match. You know lets say Edge and Cena teams up against Del Rio and Miz.. four big current names of the E and it probably will be entertaining but it takes away time from each one of those superstars to shine because they have to tag their partner in. Also I dont mind them on normal weekly shows, but I'd be pissed of if they try'd to do that shit as a main event for a pay per view... So all and all they dont bother me, they are entertaining but I dont think it helps anything all to much except for getting more people on the show, and furtering two stories in match.

One of the few times when it works for multi men main event is when they have the world champion and the ic championship on one team and going up against some foes with the stipulation if one of the champions get pinned they lose the belt they had to the person who pinned them.

I"m not a fan of muti-team main events. Unless it's for the Tag Titles. But not if it's to random top guys who are about to face eachother being forced to team up and then win said tag titles making the tag division look like shit in the process...fuck it, I'm totally against multi person main events. Clear? :)

Well firstly these kind of main events takes time and a lot of effort to get everyone involved out there and shine so the reason we don't get them often is due to time.
That said 4vs4 I'd rather see used in an elimination style match (Survivor Series) for the excitment single pinfall 4vs4 I find boring, they're long over winded and the ending is very anticlimatic but I guess that depends on what you like, I love the Survivor Series and King of the Ring so tournaments and and elimination matches I'm totally invested in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back