The "Cleansweep" Winner??

DJ-LyRiX

Pre-Show Stalwart
Hey guys - I wanted your thoughts on a name for someone who has won all the championships they can win in WWE.

As in they must have won the following;

-World Title
-WWE Title
-Intercontinental Title
-US Title
-WWE Tag Team Title*
-World Tag Team Title*

*-seeing as these two titles look set to be unified, just one of them is probably sufficient.

So far, there is only one "Cleansweep" Champ (as I have coined it, but other names are probably better), and he is Edge. As I figure, if the Tag Titles are unified and he somehow wins the US Title, Triple H becomes one too. Randy Orton would become one with a Tag Title win aswell as a US Title win.

How about a person who has won all of these championships along with the King of the Ring, the Royal Rumble, and the Money in the Bank matches?

As yet, no-one has done everything, the only person close is again Edge, who is only missing a Royal Rumble win.

This is surely the most unlikely feat in wrestling, so seeing as someone has technically won every championship he can win, he deserves a distinction from the usual "Triple Crown" or "Grand Slam" titles others have?

Thoughts people!!

orton has a tag title with edge so he wouldnt need another if they were unified. which you said to be taken as a given for the qualifications

My thought is this...why did you miss the ECW championship out? That is efectively the main midcard belt now as it's more presitgious than the main IC/US and less prestigious than the other world titles.

Big Show, Vince, RVD & Kane are the only people who who have held both the ECW & a world title. Interesting.

Both of you make good points, I forgot both Orton's Tag run, and the ECW Championship altogether lol! I think what I meant the point of the thread to be was about WWE Championships, although the ECW Strap is essentially the same thing nowadays. Think that might be why I missed it out.

If we include any tag title as all of them and the ECW belt then, do we have any winners? Edge hasn't been ECW champ, ergo he would no longer qualify - same to HHH and Orton with their respective situations.

I think the thread is fine, as the US Title is an extension of the old WCW US Title, the World Title the WCW Title, and the WWE Tag Title was made when the WCW Tag Title went defunct. The ECW Title is pretty much irrelevant.

However, Edge is the only man to get a clean sweep, yup. If the tag titles are merged, and stay merged, that's it. Do we go back and then count any person that has become a triple crown WWE Champion (IC, WWE, World Tag) since the IC titles and Euro Titles were merged as Grand Slam Champions? I think not.

Edge has accomplished the rarest of the rare in the business, that no one has done before him. That says a lot about what the WWE thinks about the man. There are those ont he verge of getting this, but Edge is the first to break that door down.

Big show is extremely close Hes held the WWE championship, The world heavyweight title which was in WCW the U.S title and tha tag titles on a few occasions

and i think its pretty possible for Show to win the Intercontinental title and the Smackdown Tag belts seeing as he is one of the top guys in the WWE at the moment as hes one of the headliners of Wrestlemania this year

sorry i forgot somebody whos closer than the Big show
JBL believe it or not i was just checking it out on Wikipedia
WWE Championship (1 time)
WWE Hardcore Championship (17 times)
WWE Intercontinental Championship (1 time, current)
WWE United States Championship (1 time)
WWF European Championship (1 time)
WWF Tag Team Championship (3 times)– with Faarooq
Tenth Grand Slam Champions
Twentieth Triple Crown Champion

If you include the ECW title, which you need to, because like it or not it is the main title of one of WWE's brands. The only person really close to winning this is Big Show. He is the only person to hold the WHC, WWE title and ECW title.

If you are going to discriminate against certain titles then you need to discriminate against all titles that came in when other companies failed.

If we are talking unified tag titles then Shawn Michaels is only a U.S. Title win away.

* WWF Championship (3 times)[157]
* WWF European Championship (1 time)[157]
* WWF Intercontinental Championship (3 times)[157]
* WWF/E World Tag Team Championship (4 times)[157] – with Diesel (2), Steve Austin (1), and John Cena (1)
* World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[157]
* Royal Rumble (1995, 1996)[157]
* First Grand Slam Champion
* Slammy Award for Best Slammin' Jammin' Entrance (1996)
* Slammy Award for Best Threads (1996)
* Slammy Award for Squared Circle Shocker (1996) Won for collapsing; Owen Hart accepts the award for making Michaels collapse
* Slammy Award for Master of Mat Mechanics (1996)
* Slammy Award for US West Match of the Year (1996) vs. Razor Ramon in a Ladder match at SummerSlam
* Slammy Award for Leader of the New Generation (1996)
* Slammy Award for Best Finisher (1997)
* Slammy Award for US West Match of the Year (1997) vs. Bret Hart in an Iron Man match at WrestleMania XII
* Slammy Award for Match of the Year (2008) vs. Ric Flair at WrestleMania XXIV
* Fourth Triple Crown Champion

Credit for the list goes to wiki.

I realize it won't ever happen seeing as he won't go to smackdown and they won't drop him to the mid card to get it...but just think you should add him to the list of people who are close.

I stand corrected on my original post. There is one man that accomplished the clean sweep with the big two companies titles before Edge, and he might have done it in a more difficult time period.

Bret The Hitman Hart.

The man was the 2nd ever WWE Triple Crown Winner, and then he went onto WCW to win their Triple Crown, that's pretty damn impressive, considering it was two separate companies that he accomplished it in. So only Bret Hart and Edge have accomplished this task so far.

Shawn never won king of the ring which I think was included in one of the lists or money in the bank and isnt likely to win the second one.

Edge never had a hardcore title win either.

Jeff needs the US title and the three gimmick match titles (Rumble, Money in the bank and KOTR

WCW Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Matt Hardy[4]
WWE Championship (1 time)[8][9]
WWE European Championship (1 time)[8][43]
WWF Hardcore Championship (3 times)[31]
WWF/E Intercontinental Championship (4 times)[29]
WWF Light Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[30]
WWF/E World Tag Team Championship (6 times) – with Matt Hardy[8][165]
Ninth Grand Slam Champion

If he wins those, which are all highly possible within the next 3 years he will be the "cleensweep" man because of his lightweight title.

Christian needs the three and the wwe/worlds title to do it so I would say its between them.

WWF European Championship (1 time)[26]
WWF Hardcore Championship (1 time)[79]
WWF/E Intercontinental Championship (3 times)[25]
WWF Light Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[13]
WWF/E World Tag Team Championship (9 times)[28

It looks like the ECW title would be the hardest to get because edge, HBK, HHH, and the rest of the big guys arent going there. even though some guys are closer, the more logical answers would be ones who are or will be involved with ecw. That would pretty much leave you with Big Show, CM Punk, Christian, John morrison, Kane, and Jack Swagger. Swagger has a shot only because he got the ecw one out of the way and he has many years to go, morrison has both tag titles, IC, and ECW and will probably be in the running for the big belts in the next 5 years. CM Punk has the best chance of all because he goes back and forth between midcard and main event. Big Show can do it and probably will if he can wrestle for a few more years. Kane could do it but very unlikely unless he wins the bank match and then takes the world title, and grabs an ecw and a us title. Christian has a pretty good chance but if he wins the bank then he will skip right past the ecw title and never go back

I was just thinking about this topic and heres a name for you Kurt Angle. He has won the I.C., U.S., European, Tag, World, WWE, and he was on pace to win the ECW at one time. If he ever came back im sure he could do it.

Chris Jericho

WWE Champion (ergo, Undisputed Champion)
World Heavyweight Champion x 2
Intercontinental Champion x 8 (record setter)
World Tag Team Champion x 3 (w/ Benoit, The Rock and Christian...might be missing one)
Hardcore Champion (won it for about 15 seconds then got gored and pinned by Rhyno)
WWE European Champion (1-night reign)
(This is all off the top of my head and is just his WWE reigns)

That puts him a US Title reign and a WWE Tag Team Title reign away...which actually makes Jericho the first "clean sweep" winner as he accomplished all of the reigns before the brands split the titles (WWE/World, IC/US, WWE Tag/World Tag) or united them (IC/Euro/Hardcore).

Oh, and as for Jeffykins, he hasn't won the WWE Tag Team Titles (Smackdown! version) or the WWE Title (he won the Big Gold Belt aka World Heavyweight Title), so he has a few to go.

not sure if this has been bought up but edge won the US title in a unifaction match agenst test where they put IC & us on the line. just cuious what titles have Ric Flair & Benoit won?

OK, so as we have it, a "Cleansweep" Winner is someone who has won the following championships;

-World Title
-WWE Title
-ECW Title
-Intercontinental Title
-US Title
-WWE Tag Team Title*
-World Tag Team Title*

(*only one of the two titles need to count, seeing as they are being unified at WM25)

For now, I'm discounting the gimmick matches because they are not actual titles, and therefore do not guarrantee success (i.e. Winner of the Royal Rumble/MITB has to challenge for a title once they've won).

So Edge just needs an ECW Title run to get it, HBK needs an ECW & US Title run to get it, and RVD needs a World Heavyweight and US Title run to get it.

Likely candidates for the future would be Shelton Benjamin, who has won Tag, IC & US and is on his way up; Matt Hardy (Tag, US, ECW)

Benoit had all bar WWE & ECW, and seeing as he was drafted to ECW, he could have won that and gone on to win the WWE.

Eddie Guerrero was another who came close, for he had WWE, IC, US, Tag, & was going to be made WHC in the week of his death. Such a shame, as then he would only have needed the ECW Strap.

And would you believe it, but the Nature Boy Ric Flair was only an ECW Title win away from being the first Cleansweep champion! He won the WWF, IC & Tag belts in his two runs with WWF/E, and won the US & World Titles with NWA/WCW.

I think we're forever gonna have a case of "Close, but no cigar" with the CLEANSWEEP champion.

I have been waiting for Jeff Hardy to win all of the belts, however, then they brought back the US title.

Jeff's Titles...

WWE Championship
Intercontinental
World Tag Team
European
Hardcore
Lightweight

Missing...

US
World Championship
WWE Tag Team

The only wrestler with the chance to win every title the WWF/E has made!

You guys all forgot about Kurt Angle.

WWE Champion
World Heavyweight Champion
WCW Champion
NWA Champion (in TNA)
TNA Champion
IWGP Champion
United States Champion
Intercontinental Champion
WWE Tag Team Champ
TNA Tag Team Champion (by himself btw)
X-Division Champion
Hardcore Champion
European Champion
2000 King Of The Ring
2007 King of The Mountain
5th Grand Slam Champion
10th WWE Triple Crown Champion
2nd TNA Triple Crown Champion

Hes won EVERY title in WWE except the ECW and Cruiserweight titles. And hes won EVERY accomplishment in WWE except the Royal Rumble.

Hes even won every title in TNA (except the legends title which doesnt mean much anyways)

And if you include the IWGP title, Id say hands down Kurt Angle is the TRUE "Cleansweep" Winner in Professional Wrestling.

Shawn Michaels? Eddie Guerrero? HHH? Flair? Angles got them all beat, hands down.

It the tag titles are unified, then Chris Jericho will only need to win the US title to have won a grand slam in both WCW (WCW, Tag Team, US, TV) and WWE (WWE, Tag Team, IC, European). As for "the clean sweep" There aren't many wrestlers since 1997 who have won all of the WWE titles available to them, and Edge is certainly closest now having won it all but the ECW.

However, Jeff Hardy is only a WHC, US and ECW title away from having won every single title he could have done as in addition to the other current belts he has also held the Hardcore, European and Light Heavyweight titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back