The all things Pokemon Thread

Decarow

WZ's Resident GameStop Advisor
In the GSD, I accidentally started a thread about Pokemon and had some success with it. I would like to now bring it over to the Video Games and Technology section. JGlass wanted to do it, then he said Lee was going to do it, and nothing's happened, so I decided to step in.

Let me get things rolling with a few questions:

What's your favorite game?

What's your favorite generation?

What kind of starter do you pick?

What is your line up?

How often do you play?

Did you pick up black, white, or both?

Pokemon Crystal.I think it really bought the best out of pokemon.It had the best pokemon to,and introduced a whole lot of new things.

That being said my favourite gen is Gen 2.

My starter is usually something I can attack with which is my style.All out offence which means I use recoil moves as well.I recently started playing diamond again and picked piplup thinking it would be good.Its first useful move is Bubblebeam and it learns that at lvl 24 so i ditched it as soon as i got to pastoria and got a Gyrados.

My line up is usually 5 good pokemons and 1 hm slave.No legendarys as well.

I usually play my diamond in the morning while watching TV since theres hardly anything good on.

I picked white mainly because of Zekrom.only time i'll use a legendary.

That's cool, though I disagree with your opinion on Piplup (as discussed in the GSD lol).

Right now, I'm on the 4th gym leader in Black. My line-up is

1. Dewott (27)
2. Victini (23)
3. Herdier (25)
4. Roggenrola (23)
5. Timburr (20)
6. Musharna (25)

So far, most gyms have required some kind of ground or fighter type pokemon to win. That's why I've stuck with a basic lineup.

Fire Red. I just adore that game. They remade the original so well. Everything from the graphics, to the animation, and just how well they represented the cities in the remake were perfect. A close second, and I mean VERY close would be Gold. 16 badges in a game was awesome even if the final eight were a little lackluster. I really liked how they made it seem everybody moved to Kanto from Jhoto. Really good idea on their part.

Gen 2 is my favorite closely followed by Gen 1. I am biased to Gen 2 because of the simple fact that the Pokemon from that Gen were in my opinion the best looking. It even has Typhlosion which is my favorite Pokemon. I went into this game after playing Gen 1, and had very high expectations, and those expectations were actually surpassed. I loved everything from the gyms, to the Pokemon, to the two new evolved forms of Eevee. It was amazing.

I also really enjoyed Gen one because it was simply the first Pokemon game. it started the legend we know, and love today. It's just simply spectacular. The original three starters will always be remembered no matter how many Pokemon are added as the most popular. They are as close to a household name as any Pokemon can get.

I pick a wide variety of starters depending on the game. Gen One I have beat the game with all three starters available. My first play through I picked Squirtle, than Charmander, than Bulbasaur. In Gen two I have always picked Cyndaquil. He involves into the most badass Pokemon ever created. How could I refuse?! In Gen three I have beat it with all three, and Gen three actually stands as my most played Gen. I have beaten the game three times starting with Mudkip, four times with Torchic, and twice with Treeko. I have only beaten Gen four games once as I enjoyed them least of all. I beat that with Chimchar. Once I get White I may update, and let you guys know which I choose in that.

What is your line up?

I'll choose my original Gold lineup.

Typhlosion- Level 99
Gengar- Level 78
Alakazam- Level 69
Raichu- Level 72
Entei- Level 96
Ho-Oh- Level 75

How often do you play?

I pick it up again once every couple of months. Sometimes longer.

Not yet, but I plan to sooner or later. I'll never be able to resist buying a Pokemon game while I have the money to afford it.

That's cool, though I disagree with your opinion on Piplup (as discussed in the GSD lol).

Right now, I'm on the 4th gym leader in Black. My line-up is

1. Dewott (27)
2. Victini (23)
3. Herdier (25)
4. Roggenrola (23)
5. Timburr (20)
6. Musharna (25)

So far, most gyms have required some kind of ground or fighter type pokemon to win. That's why I've stuck with a basic lineup.

I dont know what pokemon they are because I cant put names to pics yet but Do you have a HM Slave?Im intrested because when I make my team I dont want to go with my full lineup to have to have one learn a useless HM.

And Piplup.For you may have been good.For me he lost usefullness.Bubblebeam was the first good move it learned and that was lvl 24.Then it was still pretty much weak till you got surf

I dont know what pokemon they are because I cant put names to pics yet but Do you have a HM Slave?Im intrested because when I make my team I dont want to go with my full lineup to have to have one learn a useless HM.

Well I haven't gotten many HMs yet, so I can't make an HM Slave. I only have Fly, Cut, and Strength.

In the GSD, I accidentally started a thread about Pokemon and had some success with it. I would like to now bring it over to the Video Games and Technology section. JGlass wanted to do it, then he said Lee was going to do it, and nothing's happened, so I decided to step in.

It needed to be done and you did it, so a big thanks goes out to you.

Pokemon Crystal. I like generation 2 games the best, and it has a good selection of pokemon.

Like I said, generation two. I like that you can play through the first region and then the second region as well. I suppose if I had a DS I'd like 4th generation versions of 2nd generation games best, but I've never played HG or SS.

It differs in every game. In the original games I literally pick any of them, but I usually went with Squirtle because water types are my favorite. I don't really like any of the second generations starters, and I usually swap them out for another pokemon that I catch in the wild, but if I had to choose I'd go Totodile as it is definitely the most useful of the starters. Finally, in the third generation I always go with Torchic. The fire/fighting combination is ridiculously useful in those games, and Torchic and it's evolution line learns some really solid moves.

What is your line up?

My best line up ever is
Heracross- Megahorn, Counter, Reversal, Horn Attack
Dragonite- Outrage, Dragonbreath, Fly, Steel Wing
Hypno- Headbutt, Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Psychic
Lapras- Body Slam, Hydro Pump, Surf, Ice Beam
Tyranitar- Crunch, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Strength
Haunter- Shadow Ball, Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Nightmare

Also, as a challenge to myself, I've been playing through the game while only using one type of pokemon. I can use half types, but just as long as one of the types is the desired one. So far I've done it with Water, Ground, Poison, and I'm about to do it with Flying, I just have to finish up the 1st generation gyms. I'm thinking about doing it with psychic next, but that could be difficult considering you can't even catch psychic pokemon until shortly before the the second gym, and even then, it's just slowpoke.

How often do you play?

I play on roms, and it really depends. If I'm really bored, I'll pop one on and start playing.

Not yet, still not sure if I will. I'd like to, but dropping the money on a DS for one game (which I'd also have to pay for) is not in my budget.

I'm thinking about doing it with psychic next, but that could be difficult considering you can't even catch psychic pokemon until shortly before the the second gym, and even then, it's just slowpoke.

Get a buddy and have him transfer you some psychics. Kinda defeats the purpose of "gotta chatch 'em all" but it helps.

Get a buddy and have him transfer you some psychics. Kinda defeats the purpose of "gotta chatch 'em all" but it helps.

You can't on roms. I play them on my laptop, so you can't link up a cable. Besides, I figured out I can get exeggcute fairly early as well.

Maybe I'll try normal next, there are plenty of those and it'll be fairly easy.

I loved blue version. When you started this game, seriously, how did you not think this would go somewhere. That being said, my personal favorite gen. is 3 or 4. They both had some new things introduced that changed the game.Gen 3 had the abilities, and gen 4 brought new ways to play. Usually for my lineup I use 3 or 4 guys, and 2 hm slaves. Im trying something different in white. I play white quite a bit, and I picked white because my friend got black.

My fave Gen was definatly Gen 2. When the origional 150 came out, people were in love with Pokemon, but as a kid we all wanted more Pokemon, so when they made it, we were happy. I LOVED Gold, and still do to this day. 3rd Gen and so on were alright, but they went overboard with the legendarys, and alot of the pokemon just look stupid now. There is an ice cream pokemon. Lame.

Although I loved Gold, my most recent game was in Fire Red. I had a Primeape and Scyther that I used alot. I usally keep my team balanced, but I did it differently this time. I also don't like HM ****es, as 4 of the 5 HMs can actually be used in battle as decent moves. Surf is a great water move, lots of PP and a great chance of hitting, as well as 80 damage. Same with Strength. Fly and Cut were alright attacks, I never did enjoy using flash though, and the other HMs from Gold and Silver... I guess I did have HM ****es lol.

Let me get things rolling with a few questions: What's your favorite game? What's your favorite generation? What kind of starter do you pick? What is your line up? How often do you play? Did you pick up black, white, or both?

My favourite game was probably Heart Gold and Silver soul purely because of the interface + end game stuff. My favourite Generation is deffiantly the 3rd. I started with blue, played through silver and crystal but damn the pokemon introduced in Gen 3. Blaziken, Swampert, Breloom, Lati@s, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Salamence, Metagross, Medicham, Flygon. The 3rd gen pokemon i found to be my favourite, so much that in White as soon as i finished the league I transferred all my pokemon from Sapphire. Gen 3 which was expanded into Gen 4 brought in all the new and awesome features (special/psychical split, abilities etc)

Now for my White version. I started with that god awful water thing. I got to the big ass city and transferred my event Entei/Raikou/Suicune/Celebi to the game and used the trio throughout the rest of the game. I have to admit, White is probably the most boring game I've played. While it had the best story the removal of HM's being useful made the game way too easy. I know i used the 3 beasts but even without them the water starter, fire ape and fighting thing would of gotten me to the end game. I think what bothered me the most while playing was that the touch screen had little use compared to hg/ss. Also no L=A option was even more annoying. L serves no purpose yet it was removed from being A? Now the only reason i bought the game for in the first place seems to be the only reason to play. Wifi battles. Once the dream world actually works and starts releasing more pokemon the game will probably get a bit better, i want a Speed Boost Blaziken.

I might go and pick up a copy of Black just to play through the game again properly (as i was in a rush to end it on White as I just wanted to get to the end game stuff asap). Yeah I will probably go buy Black and then play through with Gen 1-4 pokemon (Via trading eggs and what not as i have 2 DS's).

Why no L=A option will haunt me until the next games come out.

Now for my White version. I started with that god awful water thing. I got to the big ass city and transferred my event Entei/Raikou/Suicune/Celebi to the game and used the trio throughout the rest of the game. I have to admit, White is probably the most boring game I've played. While it had the best story the removal of HM's being useful made the game way too easy. I know i used the 3 beasts but even without them the water starter, fire ape and fighting thing would of gotten me to the end game. I think what bothered me the most while playing was that the touch screen had little use compared to hg/ss. Also no L=A option was even more annoying. L serves no purpose yet it was removed from being A? Now the only reason i bought the game for in the first place seems to be the only reason to play. Wifi battles. Once the dream world actually works and starts releasing more pokemon the game will probably get a bit better, i want a Speed Boost Blaziken.

You say it's the most boring game ever but then say it has the best story of a Pokemon game then complain about some total pointless thing like the left shoulder button. You've gone to get your old pokemon straight off and somehow missing the whole point of the game...remember the first time you played the first Pokemon game, you didn't have a clue...it was a gamble. That's what this game brings once again, the story is phenomenal and the humour in it is great
(like the guy who claims he has the best 6 Pokemon ever and then puts out 6 Magikarp)
to say it's the most boring game ever is truly absurd and most of your rant is about one button being changed...can't your grubby fingers press a button? Plus cutting down on the touch screen makes it totally better for me.

I FINALLY got around to buying a DSi XL: Special Edition and Pokemon Black, anyone got a suggestion as to which Pokemon I should chose? I don't want the Water Pokemon for sure, got any opinions between Grass and Fire?

I FINALLY got around to buying a DSi XL: Special Edition and Pokemon Black, anyone got a suggestion as to which Pokemon I should chose? I don't want the Water Pokemon for sure, got any opinions between Grass and Fire?

Well personally, I like the water pokemon Oshawott. He evolves into a badass. The cutest one always turns into the badass.

That being said, Snivy is pretty cool as well. He has that regal sense to him.

Pokemon Crystal, and Sapphire

The second generation was just amazing for me

Fire, I like the attack boost.

What is your line up?
I'm using a really rock and ground heavy line up
Ankor(Rhyperior) lvl 94:Cut, Strength, Megahorn, Rock Wrecker
Titan(Tyranitar) Lvl 100:Crunch, Earthquake, Rocksmash, Dark Pulse
Rusty(Steelix) Lvl 100: Iron Tail, Crunch, Rock Climb, Harden
Watz(Kyogre) Lvl 100: Surf, Waterfall, Ice beam, Thunder
Tottle(Garchomp) Lvl 100: Strength, Outrage, Draco Meteor, Cut
And now, the most brutal pokemon ever. A total ground changer, will make you think WTF?!
Shuckie(Shuckle) Lvl 100: Power trick, Bug Bite, Encore, Wrap

I have fucked over so many people with my Shuckle. It's so funny, I will either pop him out as my last or second to last and people will groan because he has the highest Def in the game. Well with the Def comes shit speed, BUT! The trick in my game is one move, Power trick, I can withstand one attack after changing my defense to attack. So when I do power move my def becomes attack. Thus my shuckle has the highest attack in the game with a 601 attack. If you don't kill it in one hit, I will stomp you with his bug bite. End of story, no pokemon other than another Shuckle can withstand a full attack from him. Unless they are in a protective move, of course. So beware, when I face you. Cause my shuckies going to take out at least one of your pokemanz.

How often do you play?
At least once a day, Soul silver.

I'm going to pick up white, I have enough old Games to trade in, but I just don't have a ride to the gamestore ware I shop.

But I have a question for you all! What is your favorite Pokemon? It can be a few or just one. I have two.
Steelix- I loved this pokemon when I first saw it in crystal in my battle with Janice. I was like OMFG!!! Must have, I traded my friend like 30 onix before finding out you needed a metal coat for it. That took me a while to find.

Also I like Shuckles, because they are so damn cute.

What's your favorite generation? What kind of starter do you pick? What is your line up? How often do you play? Did you pick up black, white, or both?

1. My favorite game to this day is still the 1st gen yellow version. I like it for the fact that you not only start out with Pikachu, but you also get all 3 of the starter pokemon in bulbasaur, charmander, and squirtle. I never liked how they constantly added pokemon every game, although I am still a huge fan of the 2nd gen games as well. I also figured out the glitch when I was a kid to get Mew in yellow :)

2. If I am not playing yellow I usually switch it up all the time, like in gold/silver I started out with Tododile the water type then when I bought Ruby/saphire I started out with Torchic the fire type (mainly due to I knew he evolved into Blaziken who is fucking awesome). I just try and switch it up every game and I replay it I will start out with a different pokemon.

3. My best line up ever was actually in Soul Silver and if I remember it correctly it was

Umbreon
Blastiose
Typhlosion
Sceptile
Dragonite
Alakazam

4. I still pick it up every now and again if I feel like it. It gets boring though after you get all your guys up to lvl 100 and you have no friends that still play pokemon lulz.

5. I have not yet, I've read good reviews on it and may consider picking it up later on. I am just not in a pokemon phase at the moment so I have no desire too. I am sure black will be in collection sooner or later then. Why put off the inevitable?

Also if you are on a very long car/airplane trip or anything that takes hours to do, playing pokemon will feel like you went through a time machine when you get to your destination.

FACT.

Pokemon Crystal. It had a good mix of old and new pokemon and had a lot of depth.

2nd. The games were better while retaining the majority of the original pokemon.

Water. It was hard to beat surf and it was good against the majority of the pokemon.

What is your line up?
On Crystal it is
feraligatr level 55
Gyrados level 49
Poliwhirl level 53
Nidoqueen level 52
Gravler level 32
Kadabra level 28.
I'm still training Kadabra and Gravler and I have 3 badges in Kanto.

How often do you play?
When I'm at school on my cpu.

Don't have a DS

I've decided Teddiursa and Ursaring are my favorites now. Bears are fucking bad asses, and Teddiursa is a fucking bamf, cute and deadly.

A solid normal pokemon is a good thing to have because of the fact that it can use normal type moves and STAB makes them twice as powerful, so moves like Strength, Slash, Headbutt, and mediocre moves like that suddenly become really powerful. Teddiursa/Ursaring also has a really high attack, so moves like dig or earthquake are good options that can compliment your normal moves. It also learns Faint Attack, which makes it very useful for taking out ghosts.

I've only ever played Red, Blue, and Yellow, and only ever cared for Gen 1 Pokemon.

I've got a GBA emulator running on my iPhone 4 with Fire Red. I always start with Charmander as he is my favourite Pokemon by and large. My Charizard kills it.

I've decided Teddiursa and Ursaring are my favorites now. Bears are fucking bad asses, and Teddiursa is a fucking bamf, cute and deadly.

A solid normal pokemon is a good thing to have because of the fact that it can use normal type moves and STAB makes them twice as powerful, so moves like Strength, Slash, Headbutt, and mediocre moves like that suddenly become really powerful. Teddiursa/Ursaring also has a really high attack, so moves like dig or earthquake are good options that can compliment your normal moves. It also learns Faint Attack, which makes it very useful for taking out ghosts.

Cubchoo and Beartic from Gen 5 are that way too (except add in Ice attacks). My Beartic is ALWAYS in my party.

Well after about two weeks of work I need about half a level to get my Rhyperior to lvl 100. He has a really good attack and defense. Upon checking Bulbapedia I'm actually really lucky with this one. I try to find my pokemon at the lowest level possible to get a 100. But I got stuck with a lvl 32 rhyhorn this time. My Rhyperior came out with a 389attack out of a possible 434 and a 371 def. out of 416. Really really good turnout and I still have 1 more level to gain. He also has a pretty high speed for a rock, at 100.

After I get him to level 100 I might get my typhlosion up to 100 who is at 69 atm. I want a faster fire worker in my group due to it being really rock heavy right now. Or I might work on getting an electric type move on my Snorlax, or get a lvl 100 electric. My Snorlax is already lvl 100 but I can't find any good moves with Electric for him to use.

Hey Phatso, I was thinking about your Shuckle strategy and I was wondering: how do you get it to attack first before it gets hit when its defense is really low? Shuckle has such low speed that once you reverse its attack and its defense, wouldn't that make it really susceptible to being hit once and KO'd?

Thats why his Shuckle won't work. My Shuckle constists of: rest, toxic, harden, and some new attack that matches my opponents based attack and Shuckles.

Right now I am trying to find the fighting legendary trio for Black. I caught the fighting/steel one already. I love dusk balls

I just ordered a nintendo WiFi adapter that plugs into my pc so I can use the WiFi around the world and trade/battle others. Does anyone have the same thing?

Hey Phatso, I was thinking about your Shuckle strategy and I was wondering: how do you get it to attack first before it gets hit when its defense is really low? Shuckle has such low speed that once you reverse its attack and its defense, wouldn't that make it really susceptible to being hit once and KO'd?

Honestly, yeah I've thought about that, but my Shuckle can have a total of 244 hp possible. Mine has by a stroke of luck about 235(sorry my game is dead and my friend has my wall charger). My speed isn't that terrible for Shuckles, at level 100 he can have as high as 13-119. I was lucky and got 58. My attack is 81 due to Protein training. So when before I switch out my Shuckle it has 58 speed, 230ish hp, 81 attack, and 601 def. Thank god I didn't delete my messages to Ryder. Also thanks for your vote of confidence Ryder, he does work. It's helped me a lot in the past, would any of your pokemon like to be humiliated by a bug bite lol?

I kept this Shuckle from the dude off the island who give you him after your sixth badge. So I'm thinking he got a small boost to his stats that way, because I tried to get my friend Jordan an uber Shuckle and it was terrible. The only moves I can't survive a 1 hit from are Hyper beam and Hydro cannon. Surf really hits me hard to but it will leave 2-5 hp. I usually scope out what pokemon I'll throw my Shuckle out after I try to match him for a weaker type monster to him. I'm not totally sure, I've never faced any uber trainers. But all my friends who have been playing for about as long as I have haven't found a way to beat it in one turn yet, and that is really all it takes. I don't use him for a juggernaught I just sort of use him as a last resort to get a small lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back