• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Teenage "Love"

Downward Spiral

I'm Not From Your Country
Is overrated.

I've passed up a fair share of the ol' females in my time (barring a few), because simply, I find this whole 'Teenage Dating' thing to be very glorified. It's not cool to be tied down at a young age.

Teenagers shouldn't be committed to so-called "relationships". These 'relations' surely can't be taken seriously, either.

I'm sure the majority of adults here would agree that teenage relationships are generally pointless. Especially guys like Jake, who only ever had brief "meetings" with girls in his teens, and would have seen more value in just 'getting what you want and then never seeing her again'. That's a better situation to have at a young age, from my view anyway.

My point? It is only a 'relationship' when you're over 16. And even then, it's still pretty much a waste of time.

I'm not denying that I wouldn't want a 'relationship' of any sorts with a certain someone, but part of me is tied to my beliefs on TL...so it's a conflicting and contradicting situation.

What are your thoughts/experiences of this whole T.L thing? Surely there are some bad, repressed memories out there...

I'd say 'discuss' at the end of this, but that would be stealing a line from the Artist Formerly Known as Slimer. So I'll just end it awkwardly, like this...

The fact is, some people who're between the ages of 16 and 19 can have the ability to only want to be with one person for their life. Its happened. I know it, I've seen it.

But the majority of "teens" in this world don't know the meaning of the word love, dispite thinking the do, or could. Love to them is something they feel is suddenly so explosive one minute. It'll last for an "x" amount of time, but it won't be forever. It never is. It'll be days, weeks, maybe monthes. Doubtfully ever years. And then they'll suddenly come to realize they think they're "in love" with someone else. There by making the whole process, pointless and fake.

I've been in true love a total of 3 times. If that. Once definately, completely and beyond a shadow of a doubt. I was 20 then. The second time came after that, and almost killed me. The final time was with my Wife.. thats the truly questionable one.

I've had brief moments of blindness for other times, but I'm not so naive to consider it wasn't ever-lasting. Especially if you can get up and move on. The truth is, there are many Adults in this world who haven't even yet experienced "True Love."

Now, if you want the take on teenage love.. its just infatuation. It always has been, it always will be. Its that "honeymoon" experience. The type of feeling you get in the beginning, when everything seems so right, so perfect, and nothing goes wrong. Then.. something goes wrong, and at the first misque of that, its over. Thats not love. Thats a stepping stone.

I have actually done some research on this subject when I was in college and since then because my job is working with teenagers. It turns out that Spiral is on the right track.

Teenagers involved in serious relationships , especially those between the ages of 12-14, are less socialized and are far more likely to become pregnant before 18. There's a bunch of other stuff, too. But it comes down to the fact that teenagers who become involved in such serious relationships live more like adults when the fact is that teenagers are still kids. It's more healthy for teenagers to date casually.

I've been in a serious relationship since I was 15, and now I'm 19. Both of us are very comitted, yet spend plenty of time apart with our own groups of friends. Neither of us are 'tied down' so to speak, and don't feel the need to see each other every second of every day.

Is overrated.

I agree.

I've passed up a fair share of the ol' females in my time (barring a few), because simply, I find this whole 'Teenage Dating' thing to be very glorified. It's not cool to be tied down at a young age.

Well nah, but 'tied down' and being in a relationship are different.

Teenagers shouldn't be committed to so-called "relationships". These 'relations' surely can't be taken seriously, either.

Why shouldn't tennagers have relationships? Whether it works out or not, it helps you in life, it shapes who you are as a person.

I'm sure the majority of adults here would agree that teenage relationships are generally pointless. Especially guys like Jake, who only ever had brief "meetings" with girls in his teens, and would have seen more value in just 'getting what you want and then never seeing her again'. That's a better situation to have at a young age, from my view anyway.

They aren't pointless, for reasons I gave above. Would you rather us just sleep around?

My point? It is only a 'relationship' when you're over 16. And even then, it's still pretty much a waste of time.

I definately disagree with that. When I was 15, I met someone who meant everything to me, and I fell for him, and whether you want to believe it was love or not, I can't prove to you it was, it meant the world to me. And he still does. The problem was, we lived too far apart. He moved, a while after we got together, and because of that I didn't get to see him as much as I wanted. Which in the end, became too hard for us. At the end of the day, nothing about it as pointless, it's changed my life, and it has his.

I'm not denying that I wouldn't want a 'relationship' of any sorts with a certain someone, but part of me is tied to my beliefs on TL...so it's a conflicting and contradicting situation.

There's nothing wrong with being with someone as a teenager though; it doesn't have to be love. But I know people who got together at 15-16, and are together 4-5 years later.

Why shouldn't tennagers have relationships? Whether it works out or not, it helps you in life, it shapes who you are as a person.

:lmao: Thats a lie.
How does having a relationship at a young age help you in life? I had one throughout my whole 4 yrs in High School, and i turned out alright.

Some people live off of being in a relationship, while others don't. The fact is, you can't be happy with someone else until you're happy with yourself. And several people feel that being in a relationship can bring them happiness, when the fact is, its not "true" happiness, its the type that'll ALWAYS fade over time.

A person doesn't change who you are, and doesn't make or break you into being a better or worse person. You do everything because of choices you make. By more or less blaming them thats you not taking responsibility for your own course of actions. By saying someone changed your life for the better.. it might have and hold some meaning to it, but its not truth. You made the decision to allow that person to have an effect on your life.

The same holds weight in saying they had a negative effect on your life. Some people kill themselves over a lost love, when the fact is that sorta thing is pointless and ultimately stupid. Why give your life for someone who wasn't willing to be with you when you were alive? What, do you think by killing yourself it'll change their mind?

I've been in a serious relationship since I was 15, and now I'm 19. Both of us are very comitted, yet spend plenty of time apart with our own groups of friends. Neither of us are 'tied down' so to speak, and don't feel the need to see each other every second of every day.

^^

Same here.

I met my Ex-Girlfriend when I was 17, and we split up 4 months ago. Thats longer than some people are married, so your teenage love theory is bollocks.

I would disagree completely that teenagers aren't capable of falling in real love like others. They're more capable of it then anything. Do most high school relationships fail? Duh, no shit, so do MOST relationships period, regardless of age.

Take for example my good buddy Andy and his wife Hannah. They've been together since they were in the 10th grade and I've never seen two people who clearly love each other as much as these two. It's pretty depressing for a single person like me.

I mean, obviously alot of times teens can be idiotic about things and think they're in love when they really aren't. But they certainly can fall in love as hard, if not harder, then most adults. I know. I was desperately in love with someone from the moment I met her, and to be honest, I still do love her. It used to just hurt me to look at her, she was just that beautiful and amazing to me. I don't see her as much as I used to, but when we were together, let me tell you; that was love. Can love die? Certainly. But as the saying goes, it's better to have loved and lost then to have never loved at all.

I was desperately in love with someone from the moment I met her, and to be honest, I still do love her. It used to just hurt me to look at her, she was just that beautiful and amazing to me. I don't see her as much as I used to, but when we were together, let me tell you; that was love. Can love die? Certainly. But as the saying goes, it's better to have loved and lost then to have never loved at all.
The same thing happened to me.

I was desperately in love with someone from the moment I met her, and to be honest, I still do love her. It used to just hurt me to look at her, she was just that beautiful and amazing to me. I don't see her as much as I used to, but when we were together, let me tell you; that was love. Can love die? Certainly. But as the saying goes, it's better to have loved and lost then to have never loved at all.

I've been there as well. And the last bit is the greatest portion. Regardless of how much it hurts, and trust me.. it does. The fact is, reliving that moment, regardless of how much pain it caused, regardless of how small the actual moment ever was. Reliving that moment to relive the happiness it created and the feeling it gave, the emotion it brought out. Its well worth any amount of heartache and pain.

Love is an alien concept to Sam.

Indeed. It does tend to manifest itself inside one's chest, only to burst through basically killing them mere moments later. Typically the process repeats itself in several sequels as well, always with new people instead of the original cast. :disappointed:

I don't mean it's a NEED that you have a relationship, but it changed who you are, and can teach you a lot.

what can it teach you? Nothing. How does it change? I never changed when i got into a relationship, I was Brian, and I am still the same ol' Brian

what can it teach you? Nothing. How does it change? I never changed when i got into a relationship, I was Brian, and I am still the same ol' Brian

Everything that happens changes you and your life in some way, every event, every relationship, and every person that enters it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back