Summer 2010 Coming Attractions Thread (Read First Post Please!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really looking forward to this one. Anyone who reads this forum regularly should know that I'm a big fan of pretty much anything Leonardo DiCaprio is in, and I've been waiting for Inception for a long time. Christopher Nolan is directing this one, so it should be amazing. This film has a good cast, and the story seems to be something very unique, and I can only imagine how this is going to look and feel in IMAX. Inception should be one of the very few gems this summer.

Predators

Release Date: July 9, 2010

Trailer

[YOUTUBE]DaKbXJUWRZk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​

Synopsis:The film follows a mercenary named Royce (Adrien Brody), who is abducted by alien creatures known as the Predators. He is released onto an alien planet—which acts as a game preserve—along with seven other humans who, with the exception of a disgraced physician, are all cold-blooded killers, with the group consisting of soldiers, mercenaries and convicts. Royce reluctantly leads the group of elite warriors as they come to realize they have been brought together on this planet as prey for a new breed of Predators. While battling to survive against these creatures, they come across an American soldier known as Noland, who was brought to the planet years ago as game, but has managed to survive by hiding from the Predators in a cave. Noland reveals that the Predators have been hunting humans by dropping them on this planet for many years.

For a Predators film, this one actually has a solid cast. When I learned that this movie was going to be made, I immediately thought this film would be filled with a bunch of no name shit actors/actresses, but it's not. Adrian Brody, Laurence Fishburne, and Alice Braga usually appear in good/great films. Although, I wasn't too happy when I learned Topher Grace was in this film. I can't stand him as Venom in Spider-Man 3.

I loved the first Predator film with Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Predators 2010 looks awesome. There should be plenty of action, gore, and suspense here, and these are all things that make a Predator film worth watching.

Predators

Release Date: July 9, 2010

Trailer

[YOUTUBE]DaKbXJUWRZk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​

For a Predators film, this one actually has a solid cast. When I learned that this movie was going to be made, I immediately thought this film would be filled with a bunch of no name shit actors/actresses, but it's not. Adrian Brody, Laurence Fishburne, and Alice Braga usually appear in good/great films. Although, I wasn't too happy when I learned Topher Grace was in this film. I can't stand him as Venom in Spider-Man 3.

I loved the first Predator film with Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Predators 2010 looks awesome. There should be plenty of action, gore, and suspense here, and these are all things that make a Predator film worth watching.

I have been anticipating this film for a long time now. The cast looks awesome minus Topher Grace and that can easily be forgiven as long as I get to see his head be blown off. I have read some rumors about the film and if it goes the way that some think it may then it could be a great edition to the Predator saga.

From the trailer, the world that they are using looks amazing, even more so then Avatar, then again I am very against Avatar. We finally get to take a look at where the Predators live at and what they do. In addition, the Predators look badass. They really do look like a blast from the past from what I have seen. I am so excited for this film, July 9th cannot come fast enough.

The Last Airbender

Release Date: July 1, 2010

Trailer

[YOUTUBE]E-jlyW7ceFI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​

Synopsis:Air, Water, Earth, Fire. Four nations tied by destiny when the Fire Nation launches a brutal war against the others. A century has passed with no hope in sight to change the path of destruction. Caught between combat and courage, Aang (Noah Ringer) discovers he is the lone Avatar with the power to manipulate all four elements. Aang teams with Katara (Nicola Peltz) a waterbender, and her brother, Sokka (Jackson Rathbone), to restore balance to their war-torn world.

There's only one thing that bothers about this movie, and that one thing is..... M.Night Shyamalan. Shyamalan's last couple of films have either been mediocre or terrible. His films are usually always well directed, but on the writing side of things, he tends to be very streaky. It's like a hit or miss type of situation, but when Shyamalan misses, the film can turn out to be terrible.

Anyway, Airbender looks good. I've never seen the show, but this movie looks to be fun, and the action scenes look awesome. Airbender will probably get lost in the shuffle as far as making money at the box office goes, because this film is being released in the same week with Twilight Eclipse, which is sure to blow everything else away. Still, Airbender seems as if it's worth watching, and this movie will look amazing in 3D.

I am extremely excited for both Inception and Predators in the coming weeks. Inception because Christopher Nolan is a brilliant director and DiCaprio is one of if not my favorite current actor in Hollywood, and Predators because of my childhood and continued obsession with the franchise. I have so many great memories of watching that film with my father and my best friend when I was a child, I've probably seen the original Predator hundreds of times and have followed the franchise closely. Throw in the great cast and the fact that Robert Rodriguez is involved, and this film looks like the first good Predator since the original.

Inception and Predators will both be films I plan on going out to see.

I will most definitely be going on a movie theater spree. I plan on seeing Inception, Predators, and The Last Airbender in theaters. The last several trips to the movies they have shown the trailer to Inception and it looks amazing. The concept of it is different then what I normally go see so I am pumped for this one. I didn't see anything leading into my first viewing of the trailer of Predators at The A-team and I automatically said to myself "I must see Predators!" The Last Airbender I am not completely sold on. It looks great, but I don't if I am going to pay the $9 until I hear what you guys think first.

The Last Exorcism

Release Date: 27 August 2010

Trailer

[YOUTUBE]NmrSR5O9QXc[/YOUTUBE]​

Synopsis: A faux-doc (don't really want to say mockumentary, as this doesn't look like a comedy in the least) about an evangelical minister who is letting a documentary crew tape his last exorcism. It apparently is set in Louisiana, and the minister will apparently be exorcising a young woman (or the evil spirit within her).

tdigle's Take: Yeah, I apologize if I didn't exactly bleed enthusiasm in my synopsis. Besides being extremely disappointed with previous faux-docs such as The Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity, my skepticism over this film's quality has just been compounded by the fact that it's PG-13. Now, I'm not saying that PG-13 horror films can't deliver the goods; I'm just saying that your chances of delivering the goods in a PG-13 horror film are slim-to-none if you aren't from Southeast Asia.

As you can tell, I probably won't be seeing this film. Hopefully, I don't feel any urge to get a horror fix with this film, because all signs point to me being extremely disappointed with what I'll pay for.

Piranha 3-D

Release Date: 20 August 2010

Trailer

[YOUTUBE]mW5_4gZ0Jn4[/YOUTUBE]​

Synopsis (from imdb.com):Every year the population of sleepy Lake Victoria explodes from 5,000 to 50,000 for Spring Break, a riot of sun and drunken fun. But this year, there's something more to worry about than hangovers and complaints from local old timers; a new type of terror is about to be cut loose on Lake Victoria. After a sudden underwater tremor sets free scores of the prehistoric man-eating fish, an unlikely group of strangers must band together to stop themselves from becoming fish food for the area's new razor-toothed residents. The film stars Jessica Szohr (Gossip Girl), Steven R. McQueen (The Vampire Diaries), Elisabeth Shue, Jerry O'Connell, Ving Rhames, Adam Scott, Richard Dreyfuss, Christopher Lloyd, and Kelly Brook.

tdigle's Take: Yeeaahhh, booooyyyyyyyyy!!! One of the few mainstream films coming out this summer that I am anxiously awaiting! Director Alexandre Aja's The Hills Have Eyes remake earned him a believer for at least his next three films (if he disappoints me like he did with Mirrors two more times, though, then, like M. Night Shyamalan, I'll jump off of his bandwagon and become a big detractor). Fortunately, this film looks like it'll be packing the cheese in by the pound: it looks campy as shit, plus it has Christopher Lloyd playing what looks to be a marine biologist with more than a few screws loose. Also, is that Richard Dreyfuss...in a dinghy...with piranhas about to do the job that Jaws couldn't finish? SIGN ME THE FUCK UP!!!

I remember seeing the trailer for The Last Exorcism in one of the many movies I've seen this summer, and I really didn't get too excited about it. The last Exorcism movie I was able to get into was The Exorcism Of Emily Rose. That movie was well directed, and the acting from almost everyone was superb. Also, I'm not too crazy about PG-13 horror movies. I can think of maybe three PG-13 horror movies I've liked over the years, so I won't be going to see this one.

I'm definitely going to see Piranha. I like almost anything with Christopher Lloyd in it, and I'm also kind of surprised to see Ving Rhames here also. Still, this should be a fun movie with a ton of gore, and this will look awesome in 3D. The story for this movie won't be anything special, but that's not what I'm looking for here. Blood, action, and chaos....that's what I want to see from Piranha.

Piranha 3-D

Release Date: 20 August 2010

Trailer

[YOUTUBE]mW5_4gZ0Jn4[/YOUTUBE]​

tdigle's Take: Yeeaahhh, booooyyyyyyyyy!!! One of the few mainstream films coming out this summer that I am anxiously awaiting! Director Alexandre Aja's The Hills Have Eyes remake earned him a believer for at least his next three films (if he disappoints me like he did with Mirrors two more times, though, then, like M. Night Shyamalan, I'll jump off of his bandwagon and become a big detractor). Fortunately, this film looks like it'll be packing the cheese in by the pound: it looks campy as shit, plus it has Christopher Lloyd playing what looks to be a marine biologist with more than a few screws loose. Also, is that Richard Dreyfuss...in a dinghy...with piranhas about to do the job that Jaws couldn't finish? SIGN ME THE FUCK UP!!!

You have no idea how much I am anticipating this movie!!!! I fucking love creature features, they are seriously the way to my heart. The cheesier the better. But this one, man oh man. I remember watching the original Piranha a long time ago with my mom and I loved it. The idea is just so over the top that it makes it even better. Not to mention Hollywood hasn't really made a good killer animal movie in years, Primevil being the only one that jumps to mind after 2001.

The cast is actually fairly strong for a movie that appears to be built on gore, tits, and comedy. Either way I am fucking stoked. I was really pissed when they pushed it's release date back but I saw a trailer on TV during the Ultimate Fighter finale and I about creamed my pants. I expect an awesome film, one that may never be rivaled.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Release Date:July 14, 2010

Trailer

[YOUTUBE]v2uV0_1C4UM[/YOUTUBE]​

Master sorcerer Balthazar Blake (Cage) recruits a seemingly everyday guy (Baruchel) in his mission to defend New York City from his arch-nemesis, Maxim Horvath (Molina).

So I guess this film is trying to capture the Harry Potter audience? Nicholas Cage surprised me in Kick-Ass, but this film doesn't look interesting at all. The story seems to be very generic, and the guy who's playing the apprentice looks terrible. This will be a very plain mainstream summer film, and I don't think this one will do to well at the box office. Nic Cage has been in a lot of stinkers over the years, and this film looks like it will be another addition to that list.

Salt

Release Date: July 23, 2010

trailer

[YOUTUBE]64vSGeRuqBQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​

When CIA officer Evelyn Salt (Jolie) is called a spy by a Russian defector, she goes on the run, putting all of her experience and skills to use to elude capture, learn the truth of her identity, and hopefully clear her name.

Ugh, this movie looks like a weird spin-off or prequel to Wanted. Jolie usually does good films, and there's a chance this one could be decent. Although, the whole "I was a former spy, and now everyone's out to get me" storyline has been done to death. You can tell that there will be a ton of over top action scenes here, and Jolie will look invincible, as she tries to take out police and other forces out to get her. Still, Jolie's movies tend to be good, so this one might not be too bad.

Is anyone as siked for this movie more than I am? I don't know but the movie just looks flat out awesome. Looks like a movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Some early reviews are in and it currently has a rotten tomatoes score of 100 out of 6 reviews. Ign praised it saying it was even better than Dark Knight.

The Other Guys

Release Date: August 6, 2010

Trailer

[YOUTUBE]pthhj56zl6c[/YOUTUBE]​

New York City Detective Allen Gamble (Will Ferrell) is a forensic accountant who is more interested in paperwork than fieldwork. Detective Terry Hoitz (Mark Wahlberg) has been stuck working with Gamble since an embarrassing shooting. Gamble and Hoitz both admire top cops Highsmith (Samuel L. Jackson) and Danson (Dwayne Johnson), but when Gamble and Hoitz's chance to prove themselves arises, things don't go as planned.

The Rock is back in this new action/comedy film. The Other Guys looks funny, and it'll be interesting to see the duos in this film. Samuel L. Jackson looks like he's playing the pissed off tough guy here AGAIN, and Johnson seems to be "the cool guy". Ferrell and wahlberg have been streaky as far as the quality of their films go, but I'm hoping this one will be good. Oh, and for it's worth, Eva Mendes seems to be playing her typical eye candy role here.

The Expendables

Release Date: August 13, 2010

[YOUTUBE]4fpN5q6jOf4[/YOUTUBE]​

A team of highly-trained, dangerous mercenaries are sent on a mission to a South American country, with the objective to overturn a cold-blooded dictator in charge. As the mission begins, the mercenaries discover that the situation is not as it appears. The men find themselves trapped in a deadly game of deception, with a traitor amongst their ranks.

You know what, 15 or 20 years ago, seeing Stallone, Willis, and Schwarzenegger in the same movie might have been exciting, but we're in the year 2010 now, and the glory days as far as action movies go are behind these men. The storyline for The Expendables seems to be very generic, and it's something we've seen over and over again. I don't expect too much form this one. We'll see a lot of shoot-outs, and explosions, and the twist here will probably be lame. The Expendables is banking on star power, and that might be enough to help this film draw some decent numbers at the box office.

The Expendables

[YOUTUBE]4fpN5q6jOf4[/YOUTUBE]​

You know what, 15 or 20 years ago, seeing Stallone, Willis, and Schwarzenegger in the same movie might have been exciting, but we're in the year 2010 now, and the glory days as far as action movies go are behind these men. The storyline for The Expendables seems to be very generic, and it's something we've seen over and over again. I don't expect too much form this one. We'll see a lot of shoot-outs, and explosions, and the twist here will probably be lame. The Expendables is banking on star power, and that might be enough to help this film draw some decent numbers at the box office.

I am actually pretty excited for this film. So many action stars in one film. It will be interesting to see if it turns out alright or if it is shit. That many stars trying to steal the limelight can do that for a film. However, I love Terry Crews and Randy Couture and cannot wait to see Arnold in a movie for the first time in years. For that reason alone I will be going to see this movie. Hopefully, the rest of the movie works out and is as fun as I think it could be.

Scott Pilgrim VS The World

Trailer

[YOUTUBE]7wd5KEaOtm4[/YOUTUBE]​

In Toronto, 23-year-old Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera) is the bass guitarist for the band Sex Bob-omb and has just met the girl of his dreams, Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). Scott learns that he must battle Ramona's seven evil exes, who are coming to kill him, to finally win Ramona's heart. As Scott gets closer to Ramona, his encounters include skateboarders, vegan rock stars, and identical twins. To stay with Ramona, Scott must vanquish all of the seven evil exes before they defeat him.

I don't think that this film will have any middle ground. I think this movie will either be terrible or something very fun to watch. Michael Cera has been able to make a name for himself by playing his usual up-tight/nerdy role, and nothing seems to be any different here. The story seems to be weird as weird can be, but if you're looking for something different, then this movie might be right up your alley.

Takers

Release Date: August 27, 2010

Trailer

[YOUTUBE]NDx3uLl26Vw[/YOUTUBE]​

A group of professional bank robbers (Michael Ealy, Chris Brown, Hayden Christensen, Paul Walker, Idris Elba) who specialize in spectacular robberies, are pulled into one last job by a recently paroled cohort (T.I) only to be pitted against a hard-boiled detective (Matt Dillon) who interrupts their heist.

You can't really expect too much from a film like this. The story will most likely be bland, but maybe Idris Elba, Matt Dillon, and Zoe Saldana can at least add something to the acting in this film. By looking at the trailer, this film kind of reminds me of the Ocean's film series. The cast might be on the same level as far as star power goes, but then again, all-star casts are really what made the Ocean's films worth looking at, because I can't remember one film in the series that was very good. There's a chance Takers could be at least decent, but don't get your hopes up too high for this one.

Devil

Release Date: September 17, 2010

Trailer

[YOUTUBE]4YTmlcBDhvQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​

Set in an office building, five strangers become trapped in an elevator after a mysterious blackout knocks out the power in the entire building. After a series of inexplicable events occur, including the local fire department unable to open the elevator, they begin to suspect one of them is in fact the Devil. Frantic, the passengers turn against each other and panic as they try to escape the elevator in order to find a way out to safety.

When this trailer started in the theater, I became very curious about this film, and then I saw the name M. Night Shyamalan. My hopes were crushed. This movie looks like it could be awesome, but I just don't have any faith in Shyamalan. I constantly bash him on this forum, and I do it for a good reason. This man hasn't made a good movie since Signs, and that was over five years ago. His movies always look like they can be gold, but the big twist or surprise is usually a huge let down, and the premises for some his films over the years have just been so stupid. Unfortunately, this will be the first film in The Night Chronicles. The Night Chronicles is going to be a trilogy that will produce films that involve supernatural/horror storylines. Yeah, that should be great.

The good news is Shyamalan isn't directing this one, but the very bad news is he DID have something to do with the story. I would advise you to stay away from this one. Please don't be suckered into a Shyamalan trap. You will be disappointed.

Resident Evil: Afterlife

Release Date: September 10, 2010

trailer

[YOUTUBE]7E414ewWBrg[/YOUTUBE]​

Resident Evil: Afterlife picks up where the third film ended. Since the events of Resident Evil: Extinction, Alice has been roaming the world searching for any remaining survivors. Alice also comes face to face with her arch-nemesis, Albert Wesker, for the first time in the series. As she enters the ruined Los Angeles, she stumbles onto a base of Umbrella, surrounded by zombies. She then teams up with a group of survivors who had been hiding in Los Angeles since the T-virus outbreak, and helps them to free another group held-up in a prison, among them Claire's brother, Chris Redfield.

I can't wait for Resident Evil 4. I've been playing these games ever since I had my Nintendo 64, and I feel as if the Resident Evil films series is the best, when it comes to movies that are based on video games. I liked the first Resident Evil film, and I thought the third was pretty solid. I didn't care for the second one. It was just the weakest film of the series.

Afterlife should be loaded with non stop action, and this should look amazing in 3D. Maybe we'll finally see Alice topple the Umbrella cooperation? It could all come to an end here, but there have been whispers of another Resident Evil film after this one, so you never know what could happen.

Machete

Release Date: September 3, 2010

Trailer

[YOUTUBE]kLfo8ZVHPos[/YOUTUBE]​

The highly skilled Federale Machete is hired by some unsavory types to assassinate a senator. But just as he's about to take the shot, he notices someone aiming at him and realizes he's been set up. He barely survives the sniper's bullet, and is soon out for revenge on his former employers, with the reluctant assistance of his old friend Cheech Marin, who has become a priest and taken a vow of nonviolence. If you hire him to take out the bad guys, make sure the bad guys aren't you!

And to think I laughed at my friends when they said this should be made into a movie after we saw the trailer for this on the Planet Terror DVD.........

Well, this one sure does look bizarre, but this could be an entertaining action-exploitation film. The cast here seems to be pretty solid, but I'm not too happy about Lindsay Lohan or Don Johnson, and it's going to be kind of odd to see Danny Trejo and Steven Seagal as the main characters here. There's sure to be a lot of over the top action scenes here, and tons of blood and gore, but Machete could be something fun to watch. But I have to admit, Cheech Marin as a bad ass here looks hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back