Bullshit About Movies, Release Dates, and Box Office (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

Tom Rothman, co-chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Fox Filmed Entertainment, appeared on Jim Rome this morning to announce the future of the Die Hard franchise. Apparently Rome is a huge fan of the Die Hard series and somehow scored the exclusive. Details can be found after the jump.

Here is what was revealed:

Die Hard 5 will be titled A Good Day to Die Hard
Shooting begins in January 2012
The sequel will be released on February 14th, 2013 (Valentine’s Day).
The story is set in Russia and begins with John McClane heading to Moscow to sweet talk some cops into letting his apparently-wayward son out of jail for something he did, but when he gets there, things surrounding his son’s arrest are not as they appear and world-threatening terrorist hijinks ensue.
McClane, Jr. has yet to be cast.
They still don’t know if it will be rated PG-13 or R.

The John McClane Jr news gives me flashbacks of Shia LaBeouf as Mutt Williams in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Lets hope it turns out better than that franchise addition. Thanks to /Film readers Cory D and Curry P for the details. And here is the information which has been reported previously:

John Moore (Max Payne, The Omen, Behind Enemy Lines) was chosen by Willis to direct.
Skip Woods (Swordfish, Hitman, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, A-Team) wrote the screenplay.
Bruce Willis has said that it would have to expand in scope and go “worldwide”. Willis has said that the series needs to expand in scope. The original film had John McClane “trapped in a building”, in Die Harder he was “trapped in an airport”, Die Hard With a Vengeance expanded the scope to “New York City” and Live Free or Die Hard expanded the threat to the United States. So as you might have guessed it, Willis says the fifth film would have to go further: “Well it’s got to go worldwide.”
Mary Elizabeth Winstead has recently said that she doesn’t expect to return for Die Hard 5 as John’s daughter Lucy Gennaro McClane.

http://www.slashfilm.com/die-hard-5-titled-a-good-day-die-hard-details-revealed/

......A Die Hard film on Valentine's Day???

I wasn't too crazy about Live Free Or Die Hard. Die Hard 4 was a huge letdown for me, and this film did give me that "this franchise needs to die" feeling. The story for Die Hard 5 sounds decent enough, and this film should make an impact at the box office in 2013, because Die Hard is one of the more well-known action franchises.

This Oscar season has two impending heavyweights in Alexander Payne's The Descendants and the black-and-white The Artist, but the latter's chiaroscuro color scheme hasn't made things any easier for Payne's new post-Descendants project. Vulture chatted briefly with Payne this week to get an update on Nebraska, his project about a geriatric gin-hound of a dad who takes his estranged son with him from Montana to Publisher's Clearing House headquarters — with a detour through Omaha, Nebraska — in order to claim his million-dollar sweepstakes prize. In August, Payne was in the midst of casting the Paramount project with an eye toward shooting next April when the studio nixed its $20 million budget because Payne insisted on shooting the film entirely in black-and-white. ("There's a lot more to like about it besides its chroma," Payne insists.) He eventually won the battle against color, but only after agreeing to first both secure a big-name actor to play the boozy father and trim the budget down to a more sober $10 million or so.

Payne remains mum on Nebraska casting, which he says will start in earnest early next month, but insiders tell us that names on his and Paramount's short list include the supposedly retired Gene Hackman, Robert Duvall, Robert Forster (who appears in Payne's The Descendants and whom you'll probably best remember from his brilliant turn in Quentin Tarantino's Jackie Brown), and, of course, Payne's old About Schmidt collaborator Jack Nicholson.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/10/alexander_payne_nebraska_black.html

YES!!!

I know it's not official, and this might not happen, but I would love to see a Gene Hackman return. Hackman is a phenomenal actor, and Welcome To Mooseport shouldn't be the last film of his career. This was an atrocious comedy, and Hackman really deserves a better sendoff. I wouldn't want Al Pacino to retire with 88 Minutes on his résumé, and I would go nuts, if De Niro decided to end his career with a Fockers film. I hope this actually happens, because Hackman could still deliver another high quality performance.

EXCLUSIVE: Well, it took a week longer than I thought it would, but Disney has finally reached a meeting of the minds on The Lone Ranger with director Gore Verbinski, Johnny Depp and producer Jerry Bruckheimer. The studio is expected to formalize a new start date imminently and announce it is moving forward and putting Depp back in the saddle as Tonto, with Armie Hammer as the title character. It looked like the studio was going to announce last week when the picture brightened for the film, but it will be this week’s business instead. I don’t think Disney was able to salvage its December 21 release date because production won’t start in New Mexico until early next year.

The original plan was to begin shooting this fall. That was until, as Deadline revealed on August 12, the studio shockingly pulled the plug on a project it feared could come in at between $250 million-$275 million. The risk of such a figure on a Western became more glaring after Cowboys & Aliens had just turned in a severely disappointing domestic gross, to be followed by an even worse offshore performance, proving the adage that most Westerns don’t travel well. Cowboys & Aliens will be a costly money-loser, 50% shouldered by DreamWorks and the other half split between Universal and Relativity Media. On Lone Ranger, there has been a lot of behind-the-scenes drama as the three principal players made concessions in their deals, and worked on the script to salvage the spectacle that made the movie worth making in the first place while bringing the budget down to a more manageable figure in the $215 million range. It wasn’t pleasant, but Disney now has its original team behind the first three Pirates of the Caribbean blockbusters back together for a movie that’s expensive but at least will allow production chiefs Sean Bailey and Rich Ross the opportunity to sleep at night. Developing…

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/the-lone-ranger-saddling-up-with-johnny-depp-and-a-tighter-budget/

Finally.

The Lone Ranger project has been on life support for a while, but this film finally made some real progress. Bruckheimer's productions usually bring in a lot of cash, and Johnny Depp is a big name actor, so The Lone Ranger should become a noticeable box office hit. I was never too crazy about The Lone Ranger, but this film does sound intriguing, and I am a fan of Johnny Depp, so I will take a chance on this.

Almost twenty years after directing Tupac Shakur in Poetic Justice, John Singleton is in negotiations to direct a biopic about the slain rapper for Morgan Creek and Universal Pictures. The project had been set up with Training Day director Antoine Fuqua, but we’re told he had difficulty casting the role of Shakur; even a nationwide talent search failed to yield candidates of which Fuqua approved. As such, Fuqua has moved on and is looking at other projects, most notably attaching himself to direct Relativity Media’s Hunter Killer, a thriller about an American submariner and a Navy SEAL team who must work together to rescue the Russian president during a military coup d'état. (Vulture also hears exclusively that Relativity is in talks with Sam Worthington to star in that production.)

Singleton, meanwhile, had also been rumored to be in the running to direct the rapidly coalescing N.W.A. biopic Straight Outta Compton at New Line Cinema, but insiders tell us that he’s instead taking the Tupac gig after the studio said it wanted to see how rival Compton candidate Craig Brewer fares with his update of Footloose, which opens this weekend. (Our prediction: Not well. The latest NRG tracking numbers shared with Vulture show that 80 percent of moviegoers surveyed said that they were aware of Footloose, but only a little more than one in four — just 28 percent — expressed "definite interest" in seeing it. Only 6 percent of moviegoers said it would be their "first choice" at the box office.) Plus, there’s the old “bird in the hand” theory; after Singleton’s Abduction flopped, we can’t imagine too many other studio offers were forthcoming.

The Tupac script comes from Oscar-nominated screenwriters Stephen J. Rivele and Chris Wilkinson (Ali, Nixon), though we’re told the most recent draft is by Brian Tucker; his neo-noir script Broken City starts shooting next month with Allen Hughes directing, and Russell Crowe, Mark Wahlberg, and Catherine Zeta-Jones starring. That project was acquired for distribution by the Fox-based New Regency only last week.

Shakur and Singleton became quite friendly during the filming of 1993’s Justice, which is readily apparent in their easy camaraderie in this brief BET Rap City clip dating from June 1994 (in which — spoiler alert! — Tupac leaves Singleton in the dust in a sidewalk sprint-off). As such, it will be intriguing to see whom Singleton plans to cast in the title role of his former friend and colleague.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/10/tupac_shakur_biopic_john_singl.html

Boyz N The Hood is my favorite Singleton film, but his track record as a director is kind of streaky. Most of his films are solid enough, but his style is SO bland. Overall, I think Singleton is an average director, because Boyz N The Hood is the only true memorable film he can brag about. Higher Learning had so much potential, but this film was average at best.

Still, a 2pac biopic will gain some attention, and I do want to watch this film.

I think it’s safe to say there’s more chance of an instant ozone fix than there is of seeing a “Ghostbusters III”.

I’ve chalked it up alongside “Romancing the Stone 3″ and “Beverly Hills Cop 4″ as one of those sought-after sequels that will probably never come to fruition. And it’s a pity. The franchise has legs. Long, attractive storks. I saw the re-issued “Ghostbusters” on the big screen last week, at a special re-release event here in Melbourne, and it still plays terrifically; with it’s emphasis on story, character and laughs, it’s a film that really knows how to work it’s crowd into a lather – even 25 years after it’s initial release. The viewing only got me more pumped for a third film. But having waited for this “Ghostbusters 3″ – let’s not talk about the 1989 sequel, besides the ‘He-Man’ joke it didn’t have much to offer (Well, Bobby Brown’s song was pretty cool… at the time) – for the better part of my twenties, and now thirties, I’m not convinced I’ll ever need to iron my glow-in-the-dark Ghostbusters shirt.

And who’s to blame? Well, it’s easy to point the finger at Bill Murray, because he ain’t interested in picking up a proton-pack again, but it’s Sony who are ultimately in charge of freeing whatever bird there in Culver City.

Without Murray, Sony don’t want to do it. They believe a “Ghostbusters III” won’t work without Murray. And while I’ll admit Murray’s a huge part of the franchise, and he has the best moments in the original film, I think it’s ridiculous to think the “Ghostbusters” name itself won’t put bums on seats. You know it will.

In a news item published today at Deadline, mostly pertaining to a new film that “Ghostbusters III” scribes Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg are doing with their “Bad Teacher” employer, director Jake Kasdan, it’s noted that despite rumours that the film is casting and a lock to shoot next year Sony don’t want to do it – not without Murray’s commitment. And at this stage he’s still not doing it.

And as recently as last month, he had not read the script, or if he did, he has not reached out to get the dealmaking started. Without him, I don’t think the film has a ghost of a chance.

On a to-do list since the late ’90s (when Dan Ayrkoyd tried to pimp his “Ghostbusters in Hell” script to Sony), the lucrative pony seems to keep catching a bug that deems it immobile just as it’s galloping up to it’s barrier. Be it for financial reasons, or Murray problems (Bill doesn’t exactly want to do the film – heck, they can’t even get him to read the script; at one point Murray said he’d do the film if they made his character a ‘ghost’, which would therefore limit the actor’s screentime, and everyone obliged. And yet, he’s still not having a bar of it), it just can’t catch a break. Nobody wants the movie to happen more than series star Dan Ayrkoyd, who is championing the franchise relaunch for several reasons (mostly, so he can carve himself a comeback), but Sony might be shocked to discover just how many trillions of others would be interested in seeing the film – Murray or no Murray. If I was in charge over there, I’d over Murray the biggest figure the production could afford, if he passed on that, I’d drop the idea of having Venkman in the film and simple entice Rick Moranis into not only returning to acting but having Louis now be one of the Slimer-shootin’ Ghostbusters. He hasn’t got an Oscar, but he’s a damn fine comedian and one I think audiences would be as pleased as punch to see play a central role in the film.

Still, Aykroyd’s out there trying to convince people that “Ghostbusters 3″ is coming but is starting to wise up to the fact that Sony won’t go for it if Murray’s not involved.

While doing an appearance at a liquor store in north Toronto to promote his vodka line, the one-time SNL great said the film’s gotten closer to the cameras than it’s ever been.

CTV says :

TORONTO — Dan Aykroyd says he’s fine-tuning a script for a “Ghostbusters” sequel that’s getting closer to reality.

But the Canadian movie star says he’s still waiting to hear whether his co-star Bill Murray will be involved.

“The script is in my truck, so that’ll tell you how close we are,” Aykroyd said Thursday during an appearance at a liquor store in north Toronto to promote his vodka line.

“(Murray) is certainly welcome to walk in the door anytime. We love him. And it’s hard to contemplate doing it without him.”

http://www.moviehole.net/201147383-sony-may-axe-ghostbusters-3-because-of-murrays-lack-of-interest

I actually think this is good news. Personally, I have zero interest in seeing another Ghostbusters film. Hollywood has become obsessed with sequels, reboots, and remakes, and Ghostbusters would be another film on the overkill list. Yeah, I know, the Ghostbusters franchise is pretty popular, and a new film would make a good amount of cash, but I wouldn't take the time to watch this.

Also, if this does happen, Murray needs to return. Murray was the star of the Ghostbuster films, and his hilarious character was the highlight of both films.

The top ten grossing films from November 18-20:

1. Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 1- Weekend Gross: $139,500,000/Total Gross: $139,500,000

2. Happy Feet Two- Weekend Gross: $22,025,000/Total Gross: $22,025,000

3. Immortals- Weekend Gross: $12,252,000/Total Gross: $52,980,000

4. Jack & Jill- Weekend Gross: $12,000,000/Total Gross: $41,028,000

5. Puss In Boots- Weekend Gross: $10,725,000/Total Gross: $122,313,000

6. Tower Heist- Weekend Gross: $7,000,000/Total Gross: $53,434,000

7. J. Edgar- Weekend Gross: $5,900,000/Total Gross: $20,695,000

8. A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas- Weekend Gross: $2,900,000/Total Gross: $28,333,000

9. In Time- Weekend Gross: $1,675,000/Total Gross: $33,419,000

10. The Descendants- Weekend Gross: $1,222,000/Total Gross: $1,300,000​

As always, you can check out the entire list here:

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2011&wknd=46&p=.htm

Twilight landing the #1 spot isn't a surprise at all. Thousands of screenings sold out before this film officially hit theaters this past Friday, and the Twilight series does have a pretty strong fanbase. Breaking Dawn Part 1 landed in the fifth spot on the all time opening weekend chart, and Twilight could dominate the box office standings for a little while. This film won't see any real competition until December 16. Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol will challenge Twilight for the top stop, and the box office should see a real shakeup on this particular weekend.

Also, the quick fall of J.Edgar does surprise me a little bit (last week J. Edgar was in the #5 spot). This film has received a good amount of harsh reviews from the critics, but I thought a biopic about J. Edgar would draw more people to the theaters. I haven't seen this film yet, but I will watch it, when I get a chance, and I still have high hopes for this one.

The top ten grossing films from November 25-27:
1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1- Weekend Gross: $41,683,574/Total Gross: $220,832,009

2. The Muppets- Weekend Gross: $29,239,026/Total Gross: $41,516,691

3. Happy Feet Two- Weekend Gross: $13,397,346/Total Gross: $43,755,357

4. Arthur Christmas-Weekend Gross: $12,068,931/Total Gross: $16,301,131​

5. Hugo- Weekend Gross: $11,364,505/Total Gross: $15,402,042

6. Jack & Jill- Weekend Gross: $10,000,142/Total Gross: $57,120,112

7. Immortals- Weekend Gross: $8,875,905/Total Gross: $68,706,981

8. Puss In Boots- Weekend Gross: $7,511,036/Total Gross: $135,430,092

9. The Descendants- Weekend Gross: $7,345,720/Total Gross: $10,886,952

10. Tower Heist- Weekend Gross: $7,174,615/Total Gross: $65,198,780​

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2011&wknd=47&p=.htm

Twilight is still holding on to the #1 spot, and this popular franchise should continue its strong push next week. New Year's Eve knocking off any film for a #1 spot would be a complete shock for me, because this feel good holiday comedy with the all-star cast looks dreadful. Hugo being at the #5 spot does kind of surprise me. I expected this film to have a better opening, because Hugo does look like the perfect holiday/fantasy film.

The Muppets might draw closer to Twilight next week, New Year's Eve shouldn't be a real threat at all, and Breaking Dawn won't see any real competition for a few weeks.

http://www.moviehole.net/201147383-sony-may-axe-ghostbusters-3-because-of-murrays-lack-of-interest

I actually think this is good news. Personally, I have zero interest in seeing another Ghostbusters film. Hollywood has become obsessed with sequels, reboots, and remakes, and Ghostbusters would be another film on the overkill list. Yeah, I know, the Ghostbusters franchise is pretty popular, and a new film would make a good amount of cash, but I wouldn't take the time to watch this.

Also, if this does happen, Murray needs to return. Murray was the star of the Ghostbuster films, and his hilarious character was the highlight of both films.

First off, this isn't a common thing but I totally disagree with you. Not with what you're saying, but my inner Ghostbuster fanboy is screaming at you. I have wanted to see a new Ghostbusters film for years now, and this almost breaks my heart, almost to the extent Jurassic Park 3 did. This is all me being a bitchy little mark for the franchise, but I really would love to see the Busters reunite, even if Murray is a ghost, and save the world one more time. Plus a trilogy is completely fitting for this franchise. It needs that closure, at least for the original members. If it takes off into some new wave Ghostbusters, well then that's a different story.

Second, I finally watched all of The Road and absolutely loved it. Sure it was a bit long and boring at parts, but the acting was superb. Viggo, Michael Williams, and Robert Duvall were all fantastic. Also, why does Viggo have to be naked in all of his movies? Garrett Dillahunt is a very underrated actor and his performance at the beginning really sets the tone for the movie. The only issue I had was with the family at the end. I guess I wish it would have been made more clear if they were good or not, instead of being left up for interpretation. Following people that long and Molly Parkers creepy performance lead me to believe they may not have been that good. But I trust Guy Pearce enough to let him have my child in a post-apocalyptic world. He just has the face of someone trustworthy.

I can understand where you're coming from, jon. Die hard fans of the franchise would want to see another film, and there's nothing wrong with that. Capitalizing off of nostalgia has become a popular trend in Hollywood, because there have been a good amount of remakes, reboots, and sequels over the years, and this trend does annoy me sometimes. Also, another Ghostbusters film without Murray would feel weird, but having him return as a ghost could work. But Murray needs to have some type of involvement in the third film, if it happens. He is the face of both films, and his absence would feel so awkward. I couldn't imagine a Die Hard film without Bruce Willis, I couldn't picture an Indiana Jones film without Harrison Ford, and I wouldn't want to see a Ghostbusters film without Bill Murray.

Also, you didn't like Jurassic Park 3? I'll admit, the ending was VERY lame, but overall, it was an enjoyable film for me. I thought Jurassic Park 3 was a nice rebound for the franchise, because I've always hated The Lost World with a passion.

I can understand where you're coming from, jon. Die hard fans of the franchise would want to see another film, and there's nothing wrong with that. Capitalizing off of nostalgia has become a popular trend in Hollywood, because there have been a good amount of remakes, reboots, and sequels over the years, and this trend does annoy me sometimes. Also, another Ghostbusters film without Murray would feel weird, but having him return as a ghost could work. But Murray needs to have some type of involvement in the third film, if it happens. He is the face of both films, and his absence would feel so awkward. I couldn't imagine a Die Hard film without Bruce Willis, I couldn't picture an Indiana Jones film without Harrison Ford, and I wouldn't want to see a Ghostbusters film without Bill Murray.

Also, you didn't like Jurassic Park 3? I'll admit, the ending was VERY lame, but overall, it was an enjoyable film for me. I thought Jurassic Park 3 was a nice rebound for the franchise, because I've always hated The Lost World with a passion.

I don't hate Jurassic Park 3, but I think it was a huge step down from JP 1 and 2. Take away the final 30 minutes of JP2, which I honestly think should have been the premise for the third movie, and it was a very solid film. Granted Jeff Goldblum and Pete Postlethwaite carried it in the acting department. I've always admired it. I am a huge fan of the entire franchise, but the third film left me with a bit of a sour taste that honestly makes me want to see a fourth film, as long as it is better the the previous 2.

Break out the bug spray! Sony Pictures Über-producer Neal Moritz has decided that the time has come to reboot Paul Verhoeven's 1997 fascist classic Starship Troopers. He has assigned the script to screenwriters Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz, who, among other things, wrote Thor and X-Men: First Class, as well as many episodes of the TV shows Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Fringe. Of course, they also wrote Agent Cody Banks, which makes one think that Frankie Muniz could be the perfect former child star to take over the Neil Patrick Harris role.

A new Starship Troopers follows remake plans for Verhoeven's Total Recall and RoboCop. How long until his Basic Instinct and Showgirls get updated? Come to think of it, we could totally see Frankie Muniz in both of those, too.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainmen...make-is-in-the-works.html?mid=twitter_vulture

Eh, This news might interest you, if you're a fan of the Starship Troopers' films. Personally, the thought of another Starship Troopers' film doesn't excite me too much. I am a fan of this franchise, and I have seen all three films, but Starship Troopers just lands on my list of list of unnecessary remakes. The first film was very enjoyable. Starship Troopers featured a nice set of colorful and entertaining characters, the acting was very solid, and the premise was intriguing. Hero Of The Federation was a gigantic piece of shit, and Marauder was pretty forgettable. Casper Van Dien's return provided some good nostalgia for fans of the franchise, but his performance really didn't help elevate that film at all, because he just went through the motions the entire time.

A Starship Troopers' remake really doesn't do anything for me, and I am a fan of the franchise. Hollywood is really desperate for ideas, and I can't see too many moviegoers flocking to theaters for this reboot. Starship Troopers does have a fanbase, but it is a pretty small fanbase. The first film wasn't a big time box office hit, and there's a good chance this film won't draw too much interest.

This upcoming reboot might be a failure. I don't have any interest in the new film, and I might avoid this one, when it hits theater's in the future.

I would love for this to happen as long as it was done tactfully and followed ideas of the first film, which I consider a cinematic masterpiece. I love the original so much, it is in my top 10 no doubt. A remake/reboot worries me though. Thor was a massive piece of shit, though I heard wonderful things about X-Men: First Class. As long as it stays true from what the original film accomplished, playing off the idea of facism, and also includes the politics of the book, it could be very good. But, it cannot look like Thor, the premise is dark and it needs to have the appearance of the original, to an extent. I'll be more interested the more I hear about this in the future. Also, it needs a young cast since the characters are barely high school graduates. They need early 20's not the typical early 30's playing teens bullshit.

I hate to sound like the nitpicky fan of the original, who can't let go of the past, but the first film was a gem in book, and I don't think anything else could come close to it. Casper Van Dien was a good choice for Rico, Dina Meyer (Detective Allison from the Saw films) delivered a solid performance as Dizzy, and I don't think anyone can bring anything special to the Carl Jenkins character, because Neil Patrick Harris seemed like the perfect choice, and he really did nail that character. The cast was just excellent, the acting in that film was very enjoyable, Starship Troopers did feel like something different, and this was a one of kind type of film. The other two films in the series didn't do anything for me, but the first one is one of my all time favorites. The remake should feature some more impressive special effects, but I just can't get excited about the new film.

Nah, I feel you. As excited as I am about the prospects of a remake, I am just as worried. The cast can be replaced, though the original was great. Jake Busey has become one of my guiltiest pleasures to watch and it is all because of Starship Troopers. But, I do believe they can find a cast that would work well. As much as I want to see improved CGI, I don't want them to change what the bugs look like or the costumes the characters wear. Interestingly those were what made me really love the original so much. Those outfits were so badass, even Firefly had to rip them off.

Saw the new Sherlock Holmes film earlier today. Good film, but not as inspired as the original if you ask me. I was a huge fan of the first film, but this one tried to rely on witty dialogue to much. Sure, RDJ is brilliant at delivering his lines, but it felt a little forced at times. Other then that, not to much to complain about. The story was well organized, Jarred Harris as the villain was perfect casting, the action was on par, if not better then the original. I had some problems with the ending, it was a bit ludicrous even for a film, but overall it was a fine film. Robert Downey Jr., continues to rise as my favorite actor with each movie he does.

WWE Studios has decided to jump on the found-footage bandwagon. WWE will take another stab at the horror genre with "Bermuda," and here's the story:

WWE Studios has acquired Bermuda, a found-footage horror spec script by Bobby Lee Darby and Nathan Brookes. Set in the Bermuda Triangle, the story focuses on a documentary film crew that goes missing. The only trace is the discovery of their film footage chronicling their final desperate days. The scribes previously wrote Slaughter, a homage to Japanese cult horror films that won a Horror Screenplay Competition prize at Slamdance. Original Artists repped the scribes along with Hung Entertainment. ”The Bermuda Triangle has always been an intriguing and mysterious setting,” said WWE Studios president Michael Luisi. “Bobby and Nathan’s script puts a very unique spin on the found footage genre.”

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/wwe-studios-joins-found-footage-movie-rage-with-bermuda/

I'm not a fan of the found-footage style, and WWE films are usually God awful most of the time, but this premise does sound intriguing. Bermuda could be an entertaining horror flick...but when it comes to movies, I don't trust WWE at all. WWE Studios does have a pretty bad habit of constantly producing shit films, and my expectation levels for any WWE production are usually pretty low. Also, WWE has took a shot at horror in the past, but See No Evil was a massive piece of trash. Bermuda could be worthy of a trip to the Red Box for me, but I am expecting the worst here, because this is a WWE movie, and they haven't produced one truly good film over the years.

Last night I watched this Japanese film released in 2010 called Confessions, and I'm telling you... watch it as soon as you can. It very well could be the greatest "vengeance" film ever made. It's fucking awesome. Without giving too much away, it's about a middle school teacher who's young daughter died and she believes it was caused by a couple of her students, so she goes her way about getting them back. You will be shocked at how it all turns out.

28kt24j.jpg

Last night I watched this Japanese film released in 2010 called Confessions, and I'm telling you... watch it as soon as you can. It very well could be the greatest "vengeance" film ever made.

Thanks man. I love asian movies and haven't watched this yet. I would be surprised if it is better than the vengeance trilogy, especially Oldboy but I will certainly give it a watch a give you my opinion.

Thanks man. I love asian movies and haven't watched this yet. I would be surprised if it is better than the vengeance trilogy, especially Oldboy but I will certainly give it a watch a give you my opinion.

Confessions isn't as violent or gory as Oldboy and the other films from the Park Chan-wook vengeance trilogy (though it still has its fair share), but I find the story in Confessions better and more intriguing than what those films had to offer. It also felt more real than those films. Plus the visuals and the styles of storytelling used by the director... it was all just brilliant. And the acting by the kids was also spectacular.

I mean, you might still prefer the Korean flicks; it's all a matter of taste. But regardless, Confessions is a movie you'll absolutely love if you enjoyed a movie like Oldboy. I can tell you that for sure.

Confessions was excellent. Although it had a slow start once it got going it was really interesting and surprised me with some of the events that took place.

Any further suggestions are welcomed

Well, just recently I watched the Japanese films Gantz and its sequel, Gantz: The Perfect Answer.

They're live action adaptions of the manga/anime, and I gave the first film a 7/10 and the second a 6/10.

They're exciting at times, action packed, mysterious, and the acting is pretty good (though they overdo it at parts, but you should be used to that if you watch a lot of Japanese cinema), but there will be some moments that make you roll your eyes and sigh in disgust. Regardless of that, however, they're definitely worth checking out if for the action scenes alone (there's a spectacular fight scene in the 2nd film on a train that will blow you away). Plus, the main chick in the first one, a Japanese actress by the name of Natsuna Watanabe, is absolutely stunning. She's definitely another reason to check it out.

Now, if you want to check out truly great adaptations to manga/anime, the two Death Note live action films are absolutely fantastic. I also thoroughly enjoyed a film called The Incite Mill.

Things aren’t looking good for a third go-around with the reimagined Halloween series. Rob Zombie kicked off the reboot with 2007’s less-than-inspiring Halloween, followed by the direct sequel Halloween II in 2009. The first film made nearly $80 million at the box office, so Halloween II was all but guaranteed given the seres’ low production cost. The second film wasn’t the big hit that the first one was, but still made a profitable $39 million. Shortly after the release of Halloween II, The Weinstein Company announced plans for a Rob Zombie-less Halloween 3D. A 2010 release was planned with My Bloody Valentine 3D director Patrick Lussier in tow, but production was ultimately delayed forcing Lussier to drop out.

The Weinstein Company got trigger happy last June and announced 2012 release dates for Halloween 3D and Scary Movie 5 despite having no script, director, actors, etc. for either film. The latter was recently pushed back, and now the October 2012 release date for Halloween 3D has been replaced with a “TBA” over at Box Office Mojo. If I had to guess, I’d say we won’t be seeing Halloween 3D anytime soon. If anything, the company might go for yet another reboot of the series, but given the tepid reaction to Halloween II I can’t imagine they’re dead set on continuing the story Zombie started.

http://collider.com/halloween-3d-release-date/150894/?_r=true

Please, no. Anything but that.

Halloween REALLY doesn't need another reboot. Rob Zombie really outdid himself with Halloween 2007, but Halloween II was just awful. I can understand the need to restart everything, because continuing Zombie's storyline from Halloween II probably wouldn't be a good idea.

It's obvious Laurie will become the next psycho killer in the Myer's family. This is where they were trying to go, and you can clearly see this at the end of Halloween II 2009. Laurie's transformation would be similar to what happened with the Jamie character in Halloween 4 and 5. Laurie is a blood relative of Michael, and she did have some sort of telepathic link with Michael in this film. Although, the Jamie character was more innocent, and she always looked like a victim, who couldn't escape the connection with Michael. Laurie on the other hand, seemed more devious at the end of Halloween II. She welcomed the idea of becoming a mass murderer, as this creepy and unforgettable grin came across her face.

But Zombie went nuts with the ending of Halloween II, he threw so much stuff at you in the final moments, and there are a lot of loose ends that need to be tied up. Also, H2 did receive a lukewarm reception from Halloween fans, and the critics trashed this film to no end, so continuing Zombie's storyline wouldn't make a lot of sense, when you stop and think about it.

I really, really, really don't want to see another Halloween film. Let Michael Myers rest, because creating an interesting film is a hard task, when you constantly dig him up so many times. I won't be upset, if I never see another Halloween film again, and the thought of seeing Halloween in 3D really doesn't do anything for me at all. I know 3D has become a popular craze in Hollywood, but the thought of watching Michael Myers go on a killing spree in 3D just sounds kind of silly.

Well, just recently I watched the Japanese films Gantz and its sequel, Gantz: The Perfect Answer.

They're live action adaptions of the manga/anime, and I gave the first film a 7/10 and the second a 6/10.

They're exciting at times, action packed, mysterious, and the acting is pretty good (though they overdo it at parts, but you should be used to that if you watch a lot of Japanese cinema), but there will be some moments that make you roll your eyes and sigh in disgust. Regardless of that, however, they're definitely worth checking out if for the action scenes alone (there's a spectacular fight scene in the 2nd film on a train that will blow you away). Plus, the main chick in the first one, a Japanese actress by the name of Natsuna Watanabe, is absolutely stunning. She's definitely another reason to check it out.

Now, if you want to check out truly great adaptations to manga/anime, the two Death Note live action films are absolutely fantastic. I also thoroughly enjoyed a film called The Incite Mill.

I loved the Gantz anime although I was a little dissappointed in how it ended, a bit of a non ending to be honest but despite having both the live action movies I have never got around to watching them. I think mainly due to the fact that any Manga live action movies I have watched turned out to be complete and utter shite. However I will give them a go as I respect your opinions based on confessions.

In regards to death note I personally have never watched the manga despite always hearing great reviews about it. Again I haven't watched the live actioin movies as I thought I should see the manga first, just wish I had more time.

I am not sure if you only like Japanese films or if you also like Chinese/Hong Kong cinema as I would highly suggest The Red Cliff movies as they are extremely epic and great cinema. Also I always love the Thai film Bang Rajan, think Last of the Mohicans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back