Sting... Crazy Gimmick Working?

You do realize that using The Joker as an inspiration doesn't mean he HAS to be The Joker, having each and every trait of his, right?

Sure I understand that and I would expect that if a wrestler is going to dovetail off a character like the joker that he or she might take certain liberties to make that character their own. I'm just making the observation to provide a point of clarity about the definition of this latest gimmick with him in trying to understand the why behind its metamorphesis.

He may have that Joker look, but he seems to act more like Jim Cary's The Mask. You can almost say Anderson started this gimmick since he was the one who started driving Sting to Crazy Town a few months back.

He may have that Joker look, but he seems to act more like Jim Cary's The Mask. You can almost say Anderson started this gimmick since he was the one who started driving Sting to Crazy Town a few months back.

Now THAT is a great point I hadn't considered. If only TNA had sold it that way with their subsequent run-ins and eventual ppv match, it would have been great. They could have continued the notion that Anderson was driving Sting over the edge. The Icon, whom once played that role, now being the victim of the same cerebral war from Ken Anderson culminating in Sting cracking up after losing a match for the title to Anderson and Sting going completely crazy at ringside, attacking Anderson, destroying monitors and announce tables, then storming off talking to himself. Would have been a great storyline, but alas, it's TNA.

This gimmick of Sting's is horrible. First WCW rips off the Crow, turns it into a gimmick, and gives it to Sting (at least that was good at first).. now TNA rips off the Joker, turns it into a gimmick, and gives it to Sting. Can Sting's character ever do ANYTHING original? And the gimmick isn't GOOD, he looks like an idiot prancing around like the old Adam West Batman's Joker. Horrible.

This gimmick of Sting's is horrible. First WCW rips off the Crow, turns it into a gimmick, and gives it to Sting (at least that was good at first).. now TNA rips off the Joker, turns it into a gimmick, and gives it to Sting. Can Sting's character ever do ANYTHING original? And the gimmick isn't GOOD, he looks like an idiot prancing around like the old Adam West Batman's Joker. Horrible.

You say what ever you wanna say. Aside from the fact that plenty of people disagree and feel it's great, no one really cares that it's spoofed out of The Joker. Why? Because that is the idea. No one gives a damn if it's ripped off The Joker. Razor Ramon ripped off Scarface. Scott Hall even confessed it. No one cared either. Imitating something doesn't make it horrible.

You say what ever you wanna say. Aside from the fact that plenty of people disagree and feel it's great, no one really cares that it's spoofed out of The Joker. Why? Because that is the idea. No one gives a damn if it's ripped off The Joker. Razor Ramon ripped off Scarface. Scott Hall even confessed it. No one cared either. Imitating something doesn't make it horrible.

Maybe so with the Razor Ramon gimmick, but Hall made that character his own. It was very unique to him and people still recognize him by that and his NWO days. I remember him all the way back to his AWA days when he was just "Big" Scott Hall, with the cheesy mustache, much bigger upper body and he just manhandled most of his smaller opponents.

With Sting what is unique is how long he carried on the surfer gimmick and then the crow gimmick. When he came to TNA he was again using the crow gimmick, but slowly started moving toward a different persona. Then wham! He was in MEM and something radically different for him as a character and a persona in and out of the ring. Problem was he was trying to be the "good" bad guy if you will trying to look the part of a 'don' but keeping the other foot on the right side of the law. What I liked about that angle was the conflict his character soon underwent as he and Angle struggled for power and for right v. wrong within their faction, only to have the faction turn on him. But then he went on hiatus, came back, was different again, stayed for a short while, went on hiatus, was different again, and now we have the looney Sting. This is what's so strange about how TNA handles characters. How many times will they change his and for what purpose? Isn't that diluting the quality of his persona?

This is what I put in the Running diary thread

GrandSword said:
Now what I will say is that Sting's whole title reign and fight against Immortal
has been strange because he has been taken on faces the whole time. Anderson, RVD and now Angle... it's quite strange booking. Not only that is we have seen these matches before last years or the year before.

As far as Sting goes, he is super entertaining. His evolution into the Insane Icon has been great. Has he snapped? I don't think so, he's only doing it to play with Immortal's head and be unpredicatable. As mentioned Sting has been stabbed in the back too many times, he is covering himself and making sure it doesn't happen again. He said to Angle at the end of Impact in a serious and clear tone "have I gone too far? Or not far enough?"

That was an awesome line! And I think it meant that he hasn't really gone crazy, he just needs this craziness to finally takedown Immortal once and for all. Like when he fought Abyss. He wasn't just going to allow Immrotal to carve huim up with barbed wire like they did Rob. He took the glove and busted up Abyss to prove he is willing to cross the line to win this war.

Look at it this way. Sting fought Hogan's nWo before. He did what he did to stop them and thought at Starrcade that he had finally defeated Hogan and the nWo... but he didn't. He didn't put the sword to it like he should have and it still lived. Not only that it split into two factions, which he had to join...

He wont make the same mistake this time. This time he will put the nail in the coffin of Hogan's regime this time

And Brian in Austin, to some people it may be diluting the quality of his character, but at least he isn't stale. He has had a bit of acting experience lately, and I think he wants to show it off by putting all he can into a new evolved version of the Sting character.

Look at Chris Jericho, he keeps changing up his character and would never go back to the guy with the little pomytail thingy on top of his head, and wanted to be a athlete/businessman best in the world at what he does guy. He didn't want to go backwards. Sting is moving away from the silent character to something new, which is entertaining and really bringing it. Sting wants to keep his character evolving and like I said in the quoted part, he needs this craziness to finally finish Hogan once and for all, cut out the cancer so it can't come back. Fighting fire with fire.

That would be a great point, except for the fact that Scott Hall may have taken "aspects" of Scarface to create Razor Ramon but he made that character his own. He put a great deal of himself into that character and created something different because of it. Sting's just doing a direct ripoff of the Joker and not making it his own at all.. from the face paint drectly ripped off the Joker, to the personality and mannerisms, even to the licking of his lips.. there's nothing unique Sting brings to the character. He's playing a caricature of the Joker. I could care less if the TNA marks love the character, as they've proven time and time again they'll love anything TNA does and shine it up as gold. The gimmick is neither interesting nor good in my opinion.

This is what I put in the Running diary thread

And Brian in Austin, to some people it may be diluting the quality of his character, but at least he isn't stale. He has had a bit of acting experience lately, and I think he wants to show it off by putting all he can into a new evolved version of the Sting character.

Look at Chris Jericho, he keeps changing up his character and would never go back to the guy with the little pomytail thingy on top of his head, and wanted to be a athlete/businessman best in the world at what he does guy. He didn't want to go backwards. Sting is moving away from the silent character to something new, which is entertaining and really bringing it. Sting wants to keep his character evolving and like I said in the quoted part, he needs this craziness to finally finish Hogan once and for all, cut out the cancer so it can't come back. Fighting fire with fire.

Looking at it in the way you present it, I can certainly respect both what you're saying about the new direction and depth of the character, and how you are seeing it. Admittedly, I hadn't looked at it in the way you have and so it gives me pause to maybe take a 2nd look at the variations on what we're used to seeing from him. Perhaps I've been too quick to judge Borden's interpretation of the character and I'm more than willing to give it another look-see and open my mind to the idea that it's something different, but also something better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back