Sting... Crazy Gimmick Working?

I absolutely LOVE the new "Psycho" Sting! It's the most entertaining thing TNA/Impact has had in months, maybe years! It's like the Heath Ledger joker in wrestling. I have been watching Sting ever since his first match in Memphis in 85, and he never ceases to find new ways to reinvent himself. Please keep him this way for a while!

I LOVE this angle, it has sparked my interest in wrestling again. I just TNA does not ruin it, next weeks show according to the rumor sheets does not look good.

This one looked even worse and it came out great. Fuck the spoilers they never do it justice.

I have to admit, Impact has been great the last few weeks, better than WWE by a mile. I just hope the Sting angle is not ruined, it is helping to improve the show. I should not listen to rumors anyway

Loving the new psycho/crazy Sting. It's refreshing to see a side of Sting that we have never really seen before. He is doing a great job at it as well. I'm loving the whole thing, and in my opinion has helped make Impact Wrestling even more entertaining! Love it!

I love the new STING gimmick but i just don't wanna see Hogan vs Sting in a actual match. It's like watching that episode of Family Guy where the Old Pervert Guy fight that Old War Veteran Guy.

The X division is awesome it reminds me of the old WCW days when they had Mysterio,Jericho,Eddie Guerrero, Saturn & all those mid card guys.

Impact has been way better than Raw & Smackdown minus CM PUnk.

I finally got caught up with the last three episodes of Impact and I gotta say I was really skeptical about where they're going with Sting's new character change. It made me wonder if Sting would turn heel at some point in the future with guys like Kurt Angle questioning if he could trust Sting in their tag team match. That aside, I actually like Sting's character change. He plays the role of a Joker-like maniac so well and got legit laughs out of me at many points. I'm still not sure where TNA is going with the Joker gimmick but I personally like what I've seen so far.

I got to say as a casual fan...Sting is THE BEST wrestler to watch out there right now. He's fun to watch in the ring, unpredictable, and not to mention great on the mic. MORE STING AND MORE IMMMORTAL PLS.

It's amusing to see Sting's crazy Joker impersonation, but it is starting to get too ridiculous. Sting should be the respected veteran of TNA, not a cheap parody of The Joker. It was lame when Sting had The Crow gimmick, and this is soon becoming lame as well.

I like it!

This is something more wrestlers should have: Character

I've been saying it for months, the wweak has no character anymore! Heel Vs Face YAWN!!!!!

Atleast Impact has different personality for each guy. Some of them change almost week to week like Anderson. Makes it a lot more interesting!

Sting should keep going this way, but go back to the normal make-up there is too much jokeresque stuff about him. When it first started it was cool because he was like the joker but wasn't trying to look like him aswell.

And Hogan needs to be switched back to the good guy ASAP he can't play the bad guy very well at all IMHO.

It's amusing to see Sting's crazy Joker impersonation, but it is starting to get too ridiculous. Sting should be the respected veteran of TNA, not a cheap parody of The Joker. It was lame when Sting had The Crow gimmick, and this is soon becoming lame as well.

Disagree.

The Crow gimmick re-defined his entire career and gave way to a whole new aspect of his abilities that a lot of people had no idea he even had the capability to reach. He personified that character to a T, too.

The Joker character is quite appealing to me, personally. Of all guys to give this kind of thing to, he's taken this and run with it admirably.

I dig the gimmick. It's better than replaying the "Sting in the rafters" stuff. Why is it so wrong for Sting to impersonate The Joker? He act's more like Shawn Michaels in my eyes though. It's working though, isn't it? It's getting the point across and it makes Sting seem fresh with a new look. What's so wrong about that?

yeah it's working. Sting is without a doubt the most fun guy to watch right now WWE and otherwise. he's unpredictable, amazing actor, and fun to watch in the ring. I'm a huge fan of this guy. never watched wcw btw so he's still bringing in new viewers.

stings new joker like gimmick is so awesome! he has people scared of him cause he is completely loopy, which is cool. i would have to say that this is a huge push for sting, he is doing a great job and i hope he continues to do what he is doing cause its working. i think he could even win the tna WHC for yet another reign as a loony phycopath!!

I want someone to fully explain to me why sting being a joker parody is a good idea. I dont mean to be an ass here or start anything I just cannot see why so many ppl like this idea. don;t get me wrong, I know he is really over right now, but WHY?!

Now I noticed many people saying "crow gimmick got stale", and I don't dispute that, but just because he changed his gimmick doesn't automatically make the new gimmick good. I didn't mind it when he was kinda nuts and did the whole like mask thing (thats why he did the face paint shit to like hogan) but somewhere down the line he evolved into a parody from a summer blockbuster that came out 3 years ago?!

I feel like someone on creative just got around to seeing dark knight, and like everyone who first watches the film, marked out for the joker. It doesn't fit sting at all, it's silly and i can't take it seriously. it's not original, it's not not even relevant as a parody. how come no one in the wrestling company from a kayfabe standpoint notice that he's really similar to a famous comic book character? it would be like having john cena literally come out in a red cape and blue leotard and act like superman, or kurt angle striking from the shadows and talking in a hilariously deep voice. If those ppl did that they would be booed out of the arena, so why is it acceptable for sting to do something like this? my only conclusion is that ppl think sting can do no wrong.

also before I get the classic tna fan defense of "LOLz it's bettar than da WWE", I am probably more cynical to wwe than tna. also I can name several wrestlers in both promotions that have characters that make more sense, are more original, and more entertaining then current sting.

The character is stolen. Is it a great character? YES. But There is an independant wrestler by the name of Krimson out there who sent a video package to them late last year. Within a few weeks or months TNA debuted their Crimson character, and now they are taking this guys whole persona, and facepaint and putting it on Sting, and saying Sting is refreshed and new.

If you watch some of this guys promo work, hes pretty good at the character and it's almost identical to what Sting is doing now. And for the sake of argument, before someone attemps to call bullshit, Krimson has youtube videos a year old, so if your going to say he's a liar, im going to stop your right off the bat.

Kizarny, Sting was playing the Crow gimmick for years, and although everyone knew where the inspiration came from nobody had to blatantly call him out on it. The same rules apply here, he is the Insane Icon Joker Sting. Its a "good idea" because Sting is handling this character change very well, and quite frankly a change like this "could have" been a disaster but its worked well for this situation which is a testament to how good Sting is that he was able to pull this off and REINVENT himself. These types of changes can be polarizing, but I think Sting knew that IW, was going to be relying on him and he wanted to do something to inject some life into his character. He's a weird combination of Ceaser Romeros campy Joker, the sadistic ledger version, mixed with Jim Carreys mask. He's created an aura of unpredictability, there billing him as dangerous and I'm sure for his "final" run he just wanted to switch things up. No harm.

Of course it's working. It got him the world championship. This gimmick got him the world championship. It was clearly nothing to do with TNA losing faith in Mr. Anderson. YOU HEAR ME? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! IT WAS ALL TO DO WITH STING!

To be quite honest, the character being stolen doesn't matter me as much as it probably should. I think originality is important in wrestling. And if not "originality", "not blatantly stealing a character". However, Sting is playing this wonderfully. And that's taking over. The way he's talking, the way he's moving, the way his face paint is gradually changing. It's all working for me. I say it's "all working for me", but it's probably to do with Sting being so ball-achingly boring prior to this that makes me think it's so good.

Though you speak the truth there is one difference. When he started the Crow Gimmick no one else had really claimed it outright in the wrestling world. Under normal circumstances I wouldnt have a huge issue, but the idea that Crimson debuted shortly after he sent in his video package and now the fact that Sting is using his Gimmick. In the old days Gimmick infringement was a huge NO-NO. Im sure as hell not blaming Sting 100 percent either. I think TNA has more to do with it that he did. They probably approached him with the idea and he agreed. He may never have known someone else was using the Gimmick.

i said this in another thread but he reminds me more of jim carrey than he does the joker yeah hes got the face paint goin but the acting is way more like carrey in which im really not too fond of right now he could of done the whole crazy gimmick thing by just being himself

Let me address one thing, first, for those who forget. Sting did not steal, at least not willingly, from that Krimson character. As Stuntz mentioned before, it may have been mentioned to him and he ran with it, but he surely didn't steal it. First, you have to remember that Sting has creative control over his character, and, second, he's a devout christian. I doubt ripping somebody off would sit well with him.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm not sure how I feel about the character. I've really liked his energy, and I think the idea of it is great. I love the look of him and his crazy attitude, but something about it, I'm just not quite sure what, is a little over the top. I think maybe if he toned it down just a bit, it would be great.

I like his current gimmick. It is very refreshing. However, Impact Wrestling should had tried to build it up. I also think it should had been done after Sting was kicked out of the MEM.

Reading up on the posts thus far, people have already covered what i was going to say. It most definitely is working, and i just love that little look he gets on his face. It's like a Half Surprised look on his face with a half smile. You know the one? Lol, priceless.

Let me address one thing, first, for those who forget. Sting did not steal, at least not willingly, from that Krimson character. As Stuntz mentioned before, it may have been mentioned to him and he ran with it, but he surely didn't steal it. First, you have to remember that Sting has creative control over his character, and, second, he's a devout christian. I doubt ripping somebody off would sit well with him.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm not sure how I feel about the character. I've really liked his energy, and I think the idea of it is great. I love the look of him and his crazy attitude, but something about it, I'm just not quite sure what, is a little over the top. I think maybe if he toned it down just a bit, it would be great.

Let's remember that the joker, while seen as a bit crazy, and over the top, was also fiendeshly evil, which Sting isn't. It's part of why I'm not buying into this gimmick, along with the over the top notion of the makeup and attitude.

Let's remember that the joker, while seen as a bit crazy, and over the top, was also fiendeshly evil, which Sting isn't. It's part of why I'm not buying into this gimmick, along with the over the top notion of the makeup and attitude.
You do realize that using The Joker as an inspiration doesn't mean he HAS to be The Joker, having each and every trait of his, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back