Sport and the Internet

Over the years, the internet seems to have embraced sport more and more. For instance, here in the UK, we can watch football highlights any time we want on the BBC website.

But now a massive leap forward has happened. Tonight, the Ukraine vs. England World Cup Qualifier will be streamed live on the internet, for a minimum fee of £4.99. Now, I know streaming sporting events on the internet is nothing new, but for the first time, this match will have no highlights on the BBC or ITV, meaning, in effect, it is the worlds first internet PPV football match. If this is a success (which it is looking like it isn't going to be) then it seems likely to happen again.

What I want to know is, what do you think about it? Furthermore, what do you think about this experiment being repeated, not just for football/ soccer, but American football, baseball, basketball etc. Is this the future for sports broadcasting?

Firstly, it wasn't the world's first internet only game, but it has been the biggest event, and I think the first pay-per-view internet only game.

It didn't stop pubs showing it, I passed two or three that were screening it. As for the viewing being on a small computer, I am used to it due to only having a laptop at Uni, though it is crap compared to going to a pub and watching it.

It should never be taken off TV, though it may well do eventually. With laptops and internet being compatible with TVs nowadays it may not be a big problem.

The good news is Sky will have to do something terribly bad to lose it's football, and the BBC are contracted by law to show many football matches for free so for now we are covered.

In the future, the internet will be your TV anyway in my opinion, where you subscribe to what you want to watch and what adverts will suit your need and sport will be included in that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back