Americans and Sport

The Todd

Championship Contender
Anywhere soccer is played is a dump and should be torn down, soccer isn't a sport.

I would like a minute to see discuss this quote.

I understand America will never embrace "soccer" and frankly, the fact doesn't bother anyone in football except FIFA who want more money.

But why the hell is it such a big deal to Americans to diss sports that they don't like?

American Football is mostly hated in this country, yet people would never say it "isn't a sport". It is justone that is not liked in this country. Basketball is another that is a minor thing over here, and baseball doesn't exist. Yet they are still always classified as sports.

I don't want to know the reasons why America won't accept sports, I just want to know why some feel the need to openly vent their anger at the sport. (I know this is not everyone mind)

All it makes America look like in the European sporting world is a joke. They call their sports finals the "world series" or "world championships" then pretend sports they are no good at don't exist.

The US are a superpower at athletics, but that isn't a high profile sport in Europe really. In every high profile sport here, Americans are seen as "easy" opposition. Yet America is always promoted as a sporting powerhouse. But only in sports that no one else competes in.

So I would love to know what American's views are on the issue. Why do you feel the need to bash sports that aren't your favourite? Why are American sports called world championships when only Americans take part? And why are American sports not big in other countries?

Honestly, as an American, the only sport I don't mind associated with this country is baseball. I'm more a fan of "foreign" sports (hockey,soccer/football). It even confuses me why we seem to rag on European sports and say things like they're not "real sports". In my mind if there's a ball, or a goal, then it's a sport, and should be seen as such. Know what's not a sport? NASCAR.

I'm not a soccer fan but I am an American sports fan, and that quote needs to be mended.

Soccer is a sport, but it's not an American sport. It never has been popular over here, even with a megastar like Beckham. It has pockets of fans and tehre certainly are places where teh game is popular over here. I watch the World Cup but not to the extent that others do. I think part of the issue is that in the rest of the world, soccer is the main sport that a country has. Take for example, I don't know, Ethiopia. Assuming they have a national team, what else can they compete in on an international level? Very little if anything. America has all kinds of sports and all kinds of teams, so soccer isn't the be all and end all for us.

As for the world championship thing, you have to take a few things into account. When those terms were first coined, we were the only country that regularly played them. We invented all three of the major American sports and we were the only ones to play them. Since there were no other teams in the world playing, the American champion would also be the best in the world.

Soccer isn't a bad sport at all as to say you have to be in shape to play it is an understatement. It won't catch on in America though, mainly because we find it boring to play for so long with rarely more than 3 goals total. For the most part it's sitting around watching guys kick a ball. Now don't get me wrong: a lot of our sports are likely boring as hell to non Americans also. It's a cultural thing I guess, but just make sure it's known that not all American think that way.

Soccer is a sport, but it's not an American sport. It never has been popular over here, even with a megastar like Beckham. It has pockets of fans and tehre certainly are places where teh game is popular over here. I watch the World Cup but not to the extent that others do. I think part of the issue is that in the rest of the world, soccer is the main sport that a country has. Take for example, I don't know, Ethiopia. Assuming they have a national team, what else can they compete in on an international level? Very little if anything. America has all kinds of sports and all kinds of teams, so soccer isn't the be all and end all for us.

Same with your football over here, there are a few pockets where it is extremely popular, my home town is one due to the school team reaching world championships at flag level, but it will never be a massive sport, just people will never bad mouth it as far as saying it is not a sport.

It is the fact that our football is held in such high esteem around the world people view the American view that it is unimportant which sees Americans viewed as narrow minded.

As for the world championship thing, you have to take a few things into account. When those terms were first coined, we were the only country that regularly played them. We invented all three of the major American sports and we were the only ones to play them. Since there were no other teams in the world playing, the American champion would also be the best in the world.

It is things like this which are hard to understand from a British viewpoint (the cultural arguement you bring up later). England invented the sport of football (unless you are Chinese) and had the first knockout tournament in the world, yet the winners were nothing more than english champions (even with scottish, welsh and irish teams involved). I guess the British mentality is not the same as American one. We are more humble as a nation I guess.

Soccer isn't a bad sport at all as to say you have to be in shape to play it is an understatement. It won't catch on in America though, mainly because we find it boring to play for so long with rarely more than 3 goals total. For the most part it's sitting around watching guys kick a ball. Now don't get me wrong: a lot of our sports are likely boring as hell to non Americans also.

Yes, again American football is slated for taking hours to complete an hour game, it starts and stops too much so we can't get into it. Baseball doesn't make much sense to anyone. And Basketball is poor cos there are too many goals. Again, clash of cultures. But nothing would prompt me to ever say "that's not a sport cos it sucks".

It's a cultural thing I guess, but just make sure it's known that not all American think that way.

I understand that perfectly. It seems to just be the way-too-often case that the small minority give the masses a bad reputation.

It is just a clash of cultures (that are meant to be similar apparantly). Thanks for the insight KB.

Honestly, as an American, the only sport I don't mind associated with this country is baseball. I'm more a fan of "foreign" sports (hockey,soccer/football). It even confuses me why we seem to rag on European sports and say things like they're not "real sports". In my mind if there's a ball, or a goal, then it's a sport, and should be seen as such. Know what's not a sport? NASCAR.

Well two out of two have professed that the hate shown to "foreign sports" is definitely a small minority. It is good to see. I shouldn't actually claim no one bad mouths american sports over the top stupidly here, there are also a select few who do this here. What gets me though is why this fella feels the need to bash it in that way. For example, baseball is a sport I do not get at all but I would never try and bad mouth it to people who like it. If you hate something so much you wouldn't bother with it would you?

What classifies a sport is something that gets debated a lot, I won't do it here cos this isn't the right thread.

As a HUGE American sports fan, I will have to say that I don't bash every sport I'm not a fan of. I guess that may be due to the fact that I like pretty much every sport. I love college basketball here, and pro basketball can be entertaining. Same with college and pro football. Hockey is something I love to watch. Baseball is huge to me too. Those are the most mainstream sports, and I personally love them all. But other sports that aren't as big here I embrace too. NASCAR might be my favorite sport to watch and I don't think many people would agree with me on that one. F1 doesn't get much play over here, but I think it is pretty awesome. Hamillton is one of the greatest drivers in the world today. My only beef with F1 is the fact that I feel that whoever wins usually has the lead the whole race. Now that is probably a view that is wrong, but it just seems that way to me. Now European football is something that isn't that big over here but I love. I may now know more than 10 to 15 players from other countries, and I don't know many teams other than the powerhouses of the world, but thats not really the football I enjoy watching. Club football doesn't appeal to me that much. Theres so many elite leagues throughout the world, that I don't keep up with it much. But the World Cup is my favorite sporting event in any sport. The passion and energy is so amazing... It's truly unmatched in anything else. So I'm not gonna critique football at all. If anything, I'd probably have to agree with you. Not many people in the USA give "soccer" much of a shot. If they do, people pretty much just complain that there isn't much action. Not many goals or anything going on. While that may be true, its like a story, its so interesting to watch. The only sport that really doesn't appeal to me is tennis, but I'm probably not gonna bash that. I just don't find it interesting to watch. I'm just sticking up for myself as an American, saying that not all Americans bash sports from the world that much. At least Americans that care about pretty much every sport.

I am an American and I love sports, so I guess that makes me an American sports fan. I have to admit, I can't stand watching soccer. It is incredibly boring to me and just seems for the most part uneventful. It just seems like a bunch of dudes just kicking the ball back and forth to each other. What I hate most is the flopping. If a player gets touched, they go flying through the air trying to get a foul on the other player. But as much as I don't like it, it is a sport. It requires an incredible amount of athleticism and stamina. You have to be in great shape to play soccer and be able to run for long periods of time. Although I don't like watching soccer, I respect the players for their athletic ability and their insane footwork.

Honestly, soccer has never been more popular here than it is now. Ratings are up for US Cup qualifying, and on the Fox Soccer Channel.

The sport is emerging here, and a nice run in the cup next year would help. Soccer's popularity seems to grow as the World Cup approaches, and then wanes afterward. Every time is makes a gain, some of those people stick with it.

Soccer will be popular here, but it will never be number one. I don't think anyone really disrespects the game in large numbers. It more apathy than disdain.

I am a huge American football, and baseball fan, about the only two sports that I can watch, and I am in the category of an American sports fan that cant stand the sport of soccer, here's why.

1. The fact that so many games end without a winner, there is nothing more annoying that watching two to three hours of soccer, and not have a clear outcome, tie's are no fun.

2. very low scoring, very very low scoring

3. "acting" as someone already said, players flopping around trying to draw red cards and such

These are the top three things for me, and I still consider it a sport, and I know that you have to have mad cardiovascular skill to play, but that dose not make the sport any more interesting.

Being a big baseball fan, i always here people tell me how boring it is, I can see where they are coming from, its not always the most exciting sport, but there is always a clear outcome, always a winner and always a loser, never a tie. Baseball also has a lot of strategy involved, and also a lot of skill involved weather pitching, hitting or fielding.

Personally I couldn't care if Americans like "soccer", they aren't needed in World Football. The only reason FIFA are trying to make it become popular over there is for financial reasons. We understand the sport doesn't appeal to the typical American sports fan due to your culture being different.

Some drawn matches are seen as important over here. For example, if Darlington (my local team who are in the bottom league of the football league) ever drew with, say, Chelsea, in the cup, it would be treated as a victory, but again that's the differing cultures.

I know a lot of people, myself included, who scourn at basketball for the reason it is so high scoring. What fun is there in a sport where every time someone attacks scores? Again, if Darlington drew 0-0 with Chelsea, it would be massive, something Darlo fans would spend years celebrating about (Exeter and Burton Albion did it with Man United a few years ago and it is still mentioned).

The acting does annoy every football fan, it really does. That is why Ronaldo, Drogba etc are hated. But cheating happens in every sport, so football is no different there.

As i started, we don't care if Americans like football, it would not be a loss if they packed in playing all together at all, what we care is that the sport gets the respect it deserves. American sports get it, no matter how silly they seem to us. We don't follow them, but we wouldn't say they "weren't a sport" as the quote says in the first post.

I don't like it really but I still consider it a sport because it takes hard work and being in good shape and alot of teamwork to do it. Not something I like but a sport yes

I would be willing to debate this matter as I have at other forums. People say its not a sport but don't realize this. They have to do just as much to be a race car driver as to say be a baseball player. Carl Edwards is always working out and always getting into shape just so he can stand the gforce you feel inside that car going at 190 in to a turn. Them cars are hevey and hard to control. If your not in good shape and strong you'll be in the wall in no time if your arms don't fall off first that is.

Baseball may not be huge in European countries, but baseball is the second biggest thing in the US, and domniates LIFE in countries off of our coasts. That's all you do from the age of 4 when you're born poor in a latino country. Basketball has a decent following in some parts of Europe, too.

America boasts every sport because American media covers every thing. The NFL is growing increasingly popular in Europe, and London has been clamouring for more games over the next decade, even trying to (God forbid) host a Super Bowl. Football is a pretty young game, so it's understandable into as why it hasn't caught on more globally like soccer has.

Soccer is an easy sport to play, you really only need a ball to practice, and it's not horrible to play in any type of weather. It's easy to practice on your own. With basketball you need a ball and a hoop. Football you need a ball and another partner. Baseball you need a ball, glove, an actual playing field, bat, and a partner. Soccer is easier to teach in more poverse countries because it's easier to get going amongst greater numbers of participants.

That being said, I hate soccer, and I don't have an answer to the main question. I just hate it. It's boring to watch, the game progresses slow, it takes 20 minutes to get the ball past mid field, everyone basically has their arms tied behind their backs, the goalies wear different jerseys, the fans are physco even before consuming alcohol... it's not appealing to American culture.

I think this is a question that will never be completely answered.

America is a young nation yet. We still have the memory of our pioneer genesis close to the surface of our society. This country was literally built from the ground up. We love to do things with our hands. In soccer, you don’t use their hands all that much. It’s a foot-based sport and somewhere deep inside our pioneer psyche, I think we just don’t care for that. As Hank Hill might say, “That sport ain’t right.” We look at a sport where you aren’t required to do much with your hands and we just don’t think of it as being, well, American.

It also actually has a lot to do with where the country is located, not as much as being different.

Football was big all around the world, but look at America, all the way overseas from our friends in Britain. So while everyone kept playing football, we had no real way of playing with them. So we invented our own sports; baseball, basketball, American Football and so on.

These sports are became so high scoring and action packed, that it became what the American public was used to. Because it's hard to watch games around the world, isn't it. (Not now of course.) Then when TV's could actually broadcast good football (EPL, CL, etc) most Americans were used to much more action packed sports, and decided to have little interest in it.

This, combined with the common American trait of disliking new and/or different things. The average football fan is used to the extreme structure and relatively high scoring of football and are confused and sometimes aggravated by the fluidity and fast pace of soccer. Baseball fans are used to a game where, like football, the game has a stop-start rhythm and as such is easy to follow. Basketball fans are the most likely to appreciate soccer because it shares the common element of back and forth and the importance of teamwork with basketball.

Most of it is because the average American will follow whatever the sports media throws at us. And since ESPN controls about 70% of sports worldwide in the US, we pretty much know what ESPN wants us to know. That's why you hear about the Yankees, Red Sox, Cowboys, and Lakers all the time. And why you hear disinterest for the NHL, soccer (even though they cover UEFA and the World Cup), and anything in small towns.

I theorize that if ESPN gets the US rights to the Premier League (who will open up bids for US TV rights later this year IIRC), they'll show a lot more respect for soccer. At least they are giving scores on the BottomLine from the major Euro leagues, and that's progress, if only to show the EPL that they want to care about soccer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back