Spawn's Interesting Fact of The Day 9-6-08

Afro-Ameri-Spawn

Houston's Hometown Hero
I'm going to be posting this one a little early because I went to the gym today for a while and am a bit tired and have a big day ahead of me tomorrow. In other words, I am taking my as to bed here soon. But let me reiterate that these are my a mixture of some fact and some strong opinion. The title will still stay the same, regardless. So here we go.

WCW was the BEST IN THE BUSINESS when it came to promoting wrestlers and making them instant stars. Period! FACT!

Once again, an opinion. I swear to God, Spawn, if you keep pushing your opinions as facts, I'm gonna suggest to IC and Jake that they change your name to Rush Lim-Spawn. Or Bill O' Spawny. Or just Andy Rooney.

I know. Most of WCW's "big stars" either

A) Made it huge in WWF, got old, and defected, (Savage, Luger, Nash, Hall,)

B) Lingered for years in the mid-card before getting pushed into the main event, once all the old guys were finally gone (DDP, Booker T, Scott Steiner, Jeff Jarrett), or

C) Were already huge when they were the NWA (Ric Flair, Sting)

Goldberg is the ONLY one who shot to superstardom. And it required an artificially beefed-up undefeated streak and canned chanting.

Goldberg is the ONLY one who shot to superstardom. And it required an artificially beefed-up undefeated streak and canned chanting.
That's not really true either.

Diamond Dallas Page, Big Show Paul Wight, Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit...all guys who received very good success in WCW.

And the chanting wasn't piped in until later in WCW's career. At first, they were legit.

How not? Let's compare. Bill Goldberg, a nobody, within two weeks has "Goldberg" chants throughout the crowd, leading the 'lemmings' known as wrestling fans to begin to chant it on their own. R-Truth used to get "what's up" from the crowd all the time in TNA, but people look confused at what he's talkin about in WWE. WCW would plant people to cheer, direct chants, and other services used to promote wrestlers. They did it with homegrown talent and even with purchased talent. I'm not saying a wrestler should not be able to get pops on their own, but if you cast them into the main stage, then a little "help" certainly make for a quicker return on your investment. And it especially would be fruitful in today's current climate of confused fans who only know a select few stars that they have become accustomed to.

How not? Let's compare. Bill Goldberg, a nobody, within two weeks has "Goldberg" chants throughout the crowd, leading the 'lemmings' known as wrestling fans to begin to chant it on their own. R-Truth used to get "what's up" from the crowd all the time in TNA, but people look confused at what he's talkin about in WWE. WCW would plant people to cheer, direct chants, and other services used to promote wrestlers. They did it with homegrown talent and even with purchased talent. I'm not saying a wrestler should not be able to get pops on their own, but if you cast them into the main stage, then a little "help" certainly make for a quicker return on your investment. And it especially would be fruitful in today's current climate of confused fans who only know a select few stars that they have become accustomed to.
For every guy you can name that WCW made big, I bet I can name 2 that the WWF/E TOOK from WCW and made bigger than they ever were in WCW.

Post 96' they only promoted Bill Goldberg as a major superstar.

Bobby Blaze, Hardwork Bobby Walker, The Equalizer, and many many others who were unknown coming on the door used to get amazing chants on tv. Why? because WCW orchestrated and built that for them, regardless of their initial talent or lack thereof. And to be honest, Goldberg is the biggest and best example. of it.

For every guy you can name that WCW made big, I bet I can name 2 that the WWF/E TOOK from WCW and made bigger than they ever were in WCW.

Yes, and those were guys that NWA/WCW TOOK from AWA and ECW and took them to a step above where they were. The moves on to the next step of evolution when they moved on to WWF/E. It's how it is was when there were multiple companies and territories that were operating on the same level.

That's not really true either.

Diamond Dallas Page, Big Show Paul Wight, Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit...all guys who received very good success in WCW.

And the chanting wasn't piped in until later in WCW's career. At first, they were legit.

Yeah, but I don't know if you could say that WCW made into megastars, and it certainly wasn't instant, with maybe the exception of Paul Wight. But Paul Wight had the support of Hulk Hogan, and was being billed as the son of Andre, so how are you NOT going to be taken as an instant star?

DDP started out as a manager, then a mid-carder, competing for several years for the TV and US titles. It really wasn't until the late-90's that DDP became a true main-eventer/superstar.

Rey Mysterio got a good push in the cruiserweight division. But it's not like the cruiserweights were ever really pushed as main event superstars. Mysterio was very over in WCW. But it was in WWE that he became a superstar and a legitmate main eventer.

Chris Benoit lingered on the cusp on superstardom for years, getting the support of countless individuals. But it wasn't until Benoit was ready to leave that WCW really tried to push Benoit as a Main Event guy. Just like Mysterio, Benoit was popular in WCW, but didn't become a major star until he got to WWE.

Benoit I don't think really even counts as having success in WCW. Yes he was given the belt, but he was given the belt to try to make him stay. Same is true about Jericho, Mysterio, Guerrero and Big Show, who even though he was champion never really was the focus of the show until he went to WWE where he is by far more famous.

Bobby Blaze, Hardwork Bobby Walker, The Equalizer, and many many others who were unknown coming on the door used to get amazing chants on tv. Why? because WCW orchestrated and built that for them, regardless of their initial talent or lack thereof. And to be honest, Goldberg is the biggest and best example. of it.

Who, who and who?! Sure, WCW TRIED to push these guys as instant stars, but it failed in the end. And it failed countless times. Goldberg was the only one who stayed over with the fans. The ONLY one.

Yes, and those were guys that NWA/WCW TOOK from AWA and ECW and took them to a step above where they were. The moves on to the next step of evolution when they moved on to WWF/E. It's how it is was when there were multiple companies and territories that were operating on the same level.
But, that's not what your original statement said. Your original statement stated that WCW was the best in the business at making instant stars.

You can't accurately make that statement by supporting it with declarations that WCW was little more than a stepping stone to WWF.

WCW was nothing more than a step up from TNA, in that it would always try to push it's homegrown talent as major stars, until it would get the chance to steal old talent from WWE, and then push it's home talent down the card. Only difference was that WCW had truly talented mid-carders who could succeed in the WWE, whereas TNA has shitty-ass upper-carders who couldn't even be used as jobbers in the WWE.

But, that's not what your original statement said. Your original statement stated that WCW was the best in the business at making instant stars.

You can't accurately make that statement by supporting it with declarations that WCW was little more than a stepping stone to WWF.

I was refuting your statement that guys went to WWF and became instant stars. I stated that that was not true because WWE took them. WCW took those same guys from someone else. When guys were initially coming out of of the power plant, they were instant stars, and WCW promoted them that way. They were not LONG TERM stars or long term talent. They were, however, INSTANT stars. Therefore I refer you back to my original statement and ask you to reexamine it WITHOUT thinking LONG TERM STABILITY in your equation.

I was refuting your statement that guys went to WWF and became instant stars. I stated that that was not true because WWE took them. WCW took those same guys from someone else. When guys were initially coming out of of the power plant, they were instant stars, and WCW promoted them that way. They were not LONG TERM stars or long term talent. They were, however, INSTANT stars. Therefore I refer you back to my original statement and ask you to reexamine it WITHOUT thinking LONG TERM STABILITY in your equation.
So, what you're trying to say then, is that being successful has nothing to do with your original statement, just being promoted out of the company's wrestling school does?

Er yea. WCW was probaly the WORST promotion ever at creating new stars.

Yes indeed, I admit that they had long term difficulties in creating new characters, well other than Konnan and a couple of others. But the fact remains that they pushed these guys from their start like stars. They gave them the tools and exposure for success. Problem was that they sucked. But when Bobby Blaze comes out and gets to act like he's big time like Hulk Hogan, then yes, it's a great job at creating a star. WCW did their 50%. The other 50% is up to the wrestler. But look at later with guys like Al Funk, Prince Iakea, Elix Skipper, Mark Jendrak, Chuck Palumbo, and several others. They got cart blanch pushing. Some sucked, some discovered themselves more. Still, they got pushed.

But what did any of those guys ever do for the company? Jack shit. And what are those guys doing now? Mark Jindrak is wrestling in Mexico. Chuck Palumbo's stalled on RAW, missing and presumed wished all the best in his future endeavors. And is Elix Skipper even with TNA anymore? I have no clue what Prince Iakea is doing, and for the life of me I can't even remember what Al Funk looks like or how he wrestled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back