Spawn's Controversial Fact of The Day 9-23-08

Afro-Ameri-Spawn

Houston's Hometown Hero
Hello everybody. Glad to see that people are actually debating back and forth in these threads instead of it being me against the world. So let's see if it keeps up.

The ONLY way that Mick Foley could save his hardcore legacy was to go to TNA wrestling. Strong Opinion.

No, it was intact. If he ever had any worry about it, he could get speared through another tac filled on fire table.

Yeah I don't agree with this one at all. Being in TNA just takes away from it, I look forward to you trying to explain your reasoning though.

Yeah I don't agree with this one at all. Being in TNA just takes away from it, I look forward to you trying to explain your reasoning though.

How does it take away from it?, his hardcore legacy was built outside of the WWE, so I don't see how being a member of the TNA roster is going to take away from his hardcore legacy at all, it might take away from his WWE legacy but that's about it, I don't know if TNA is the only way to save his hardcore legacy, cause I don't think it's really going anywhere, it seems pretty intact

How does it take away from it?, his hardcore legacy was built outside of the WWE, so I don't see how being a member of the TNA roster is going to take away from his hardcore legacy at all, it might take away from his WWE legacy but that's about it, I don't know if TNA is the only way to save his hardcore legacy, cause I don't think it's really going anywhere, it seems pretty intact

True, his Hardcore legacy was built outside of the WWE but the WWE never did anything to take away from it, they even awarded him the hardcore title for keeps. TNA is a different ball game, I feel his hardcore legacy has been furthered by the WWE or at least the fact they call him the hardcore legend cements it as a legacy. If this is the case then by going to TNA a company re-knowned by non-fans as relatively gimmick happy, unless Foley goes to the top by being utterly hardcore, something I feel he is not in shape to do, then TNA will be a step back. So many of TNA's matches involve a form of weapons now a days and if Mick Foley can't keep up with that then this is what I feel will take away... hope that makes sense?

Sorry Spawn, dont agree with this one at all. His hardcoreness is pretty much locked in at this point and as Justin said, it may take away from his WWE legacy if anything but that is about it.
Either way it will make TNA a little more must-see for me as I like Mick and am keen to see what he can bring to TNA.
Although maybe they could turn him heel and give him a manager, just a thought ;)

Foley needs to take "Bang Bang!" to the next level, and literally.

Hardcore legacy is instantly rebooted if he comes out and starts playing Russian Roulette haha.

But Foley's the man, so you'd have to root for him to get nothing but the blank slots.

Considering he hasn't even worked a match yet, I don't see how this could ever be remotely discussed.

No, it was intact. If he ever had any worry about it, he could get speared through another tac filled on fire table.

I am going to do something that I have never before tried in this thread series. i am going to attempt to answer TWO lame posts at once. David Blane, eat your heart out.

To be honest, what EXACTLY has Mick Foley's hardcore legacy been over the past ten year? Lose a Boiler Room Brawl? Lose a Dumpster Brawl? Lose Hell In A Cell? Lose Barbed Wire Baseball bat? Lose I Quit? Lose, well you get the picture. Pretty much, Mick Foley's "hardcore legacy" has been sacrificed to the McMahon Empire and has been used to put over anybody and everybody who McMahon deemed to anybody who was awake at the time. I mean look at the guys who Foley has had to job his hardcore legacy to.

Undertaker- Dark, deep. Okay, I'll buy SOME hardcore from him, but not Foley level.

The Rock- Movie boy? Oh puhlease. Next.

Triple H- About the only thing Hardcore about him is that he knows how to stick out his chest when he holds a sledgehammer. Other than that, I'm not thinking hardcore goes well with suits.

Randy Orton- Too pretty to be hardcore. Injury prone like a bitch. And yet he has a hardcore win over Foley? Why?

Mr. Ass and The Road Dogg- Do I even need to get into how bad this one is?

Edge- Jobbing to a hardcore Vampire? Yup, he did. But I don't think that the Rated R Superstar likes getting his face bloody. The ladies would not like that. It was rather shameful as well.

Anybody with a Swingin Dick that comes along- The would be the next phase.

You know what's sad? I don't think that Mick Foley has EVER won a hardcore match in WWE. So his legacy is the job his way through the end of his career and literally kiss Vince's ass? I mean the man was beaten up shamelessly by Edge. And while we all expected that Foley would get his payback, it never came to pass. Another senseless stain on his "legacy". That's not how you treat a hardcore legend. But then again, Hardcore has always been a joke to McMahon. The Hardcore title was a comedy prop and was tossed away when it started to be taken seriously again.

At least in TNA, Foley will get a hardcore win or two with Full Metal Mayhem or Monster's Ball. Hell, I'm sure Abyss is begging to lay down for a legend like Foley. That just wasn't going to happen in WWE, as he was nothing more than a plaid colored prop and a joke. Yeah, he has a legacy to protect alright. A legacy that only Steve Lombardi could be proud of.

I won't add much to the debate, but just a thought.

Foley's 'hardcore legacy' is not about wins or losses in hardcore matches. It's about what happens during those matches and the kind of shit Foley goes through. That's why we refer to him as a 'hardcore legend'.

Are we going to remember Foley from Wrestlemania 22 for losing to Edge, or for being speared from the ring through a flaming table? Are we going to remember him losing to 'Taker in Hell in a Cell, or are we going to remember 'that' fall?

The bumps he takes is what makes him 'hardcore', always has been. Losses never hindered his 'hardcore legend' status. Fact is, Foley's the kind of guy that can take a loss and look the same, or even stronger, in the fans' eyes. That's the reason so many other guys are put over him.

I understand that in some peoples' eyes, they would see wins and losses as being important, but ultimately, many tend to forget the outcome of a hellacious match, and Foley's been in plenty of those.

True, his Hardcore legacy was built outside of the WWE but the WWE never did anything to take away from it, they even awarded him the hardcore title for keeps. TNA is a different ball game, I feel his hardcore legacy has been furthered by the WWE or at least the fact they call him the hardcore legend cements it as a legacy. If this is the case then by going to TNA a company re-knowned by non-fans as relatively gimmick happy, unless Foley goes to the top by being utterly hardcore, something I feel he is not in shape to do, then TNA will be a step back. So many of TNA's matches involve a form of weapons now a days and if Mick Foley can't keep up with that then this is what I feel will take away... hope that makes sense?

They called Ted Dibiase "The Million Dollar Man". Does that mean that he is a millionaire of some sort at the time? No. They called The Rock "The Most Electrifying Man in sports entertainment". Does that mean that nobody else is worth watching? No. It's called a gimmick. A nickname. Yes, they gave him the Hardcore title. But did he ever WIN the Hardcore title? Nope. I shreaded through every Mick Foley/WWF memory I have, and I still can't recall ONE hardcore match that he won in the WWE. So how can he be a legend of Hardcore if you only use him to put other guys over who aren't Hardcore in Hardcore matches? If that doesn't tarnish your legacy, then I don't know what does. I highly doubt that TNA paid Mick to come in and put other guys over. if anything, guys are lining up to put HIM over in Hardcore matches. That will only add to the legacy that WWE spent years trying to subtract from.

It's not about how many matches he won, it's all about what he did that was Hardcore, for example I'm going to make a minature graph:

Foleys Opponent - How Foley furthered his legacy

Undertaker - Thrown through and off the cell

Triple H - Thrown through the cell and ring

The Rock - 11 unprotected chair shots in 3 minutes

Edge - Speared through a table on fire.

Orton - Countless use of Barbed Wire.

Besides how can you say TNA will let him win, you haven't seen his run yet, they hardly furthered the legacy of Kevin Nash.

EDIT: Infact the more I think about it the less you're right, it would've been more hardcore for him to go to the indys and almost kill himself. He simply didn't need to and what this is is little more than a wrestling equivelant of a mid-life crisis, if WWE had really destroyed his hardcore legacy than no one would call him the hardcore legend he would be the former hardcore legend, regardless of where that legacy was built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back