• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Something I NEVER understood...

shafe_41

DON'T HINDER JINDER
Ok, so here's a rule I never understood in the world of wrestling. In every sport out there where the uniform is... shall I say... part of the body, why does the same not apply to wrestling? In baseball, if your jersey is knicked by a pitch, you still go to first base. In football, you can grab someone's jersey, pants, whatever... to tackle them. I guess the same doesn't apply for basketball or hockey although rules for sports apply differently.

The Ziggler/Morrison match on Smackdown made me think... why in wrestling is it cheating if you grab tights? Now I don't know ALL the rules of amatuer wrestling, but I don't believe grabbing tights is legal there. Is that where this applies or is this just one of the many mysteries of wrestling that puzzle us? Just like in an Extreme Rules match... you have to release a hold before a 5 count if someone gets to the ropes... etc.

Who can shed some light on this?

I heard that it has something to do with leverage in a pin, but I personally don't see the point in the rule. Maybe just something extra for a heel to do to get a cheap win?

The theory is it gives unfair leverage in a pin attempt same as grabbing the ropes. Does it actually do that, I have no idea. However I personally think it' something they do to give someone heat.

Yeah as Milenko said, it may or may not help the heel in a win (i dont know) but i reckon the main reason is to generate heat for the heel in getting a 'cheap' win.

It's basically there to make the heel look dirty. I doubt it gives them anymore leverage. Just like Milenko said. Only there to give the heel some cheap heat.

It's a rule that has hung around in professional wrestling since the earlier days before wrestling became a work. It is also a part of the amateur rulebook as well. Any manipulation of a wrestler's uniform is considered to be an illegal action as it gains you extra leverage while forcing your opponent to go in the direction you want him to.

It is one of the lesser reasons why the ancient Greeks would wrestle in the nude: they could not conceal weapons and they could not unfairly impede or manipulate their opponent's movement rendering a fair contest.

Nowadays it is just a way for heels to get over as being rule breakers, but it is a rule rooted in history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back