• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Some advice

Milkyway!

Hodor!
I got a job offer. I'll be hired on as a manager. 9$ an hour, free room and board, guaranteed 35 hours a week at minimum. There's a slight drawback, and that is I'll have to move 3 hours away. The only person I'll know is the store manager who was my old boss for a long time and his children (He'll also be the one I'm living with). I'll have to switch colleges.

I'm scared as fuck. I'll be with the same company, yes. So that shows loyalty to the company, and would not only allow me to move up the ladder immediately but also possibly open the doors to move up in the ladder more rapidly in the future if I perform well.

Thoughts?

Whatever makes you happy, I suppose. Make sure the job is stable. Switching college isn't a big deal, it's just a community college if I remember correctly, they're all the same more or less.

Although I'm not sure I'd be moving out of my way for a 9 dollar an hour job. But I guess if the prospects are good for the future and it's the best thing on the table, you don't have much of a choice.

Loyalty doesn't necessarily amount to much in the world of business. Loyalty is just one of those words management puts in your head to get you to do more things that you do not want to do. Ability and luck are far more important.

It is really hard to give someone advice based on the simple facts you have provided. You really need to start asking yourself some questions about your future to make a wise decision:

What do you want to be doing in 5 to 10 years? Is this the proper path to get there? Do you really have the ability to get where you want to go? Is this a job with a future or is the internet going to make it obsolete like so many other jobs?

How important is school? I will tell you that on a resume, some college is just as bad as no college, the degree is what matters. Can you still work a long week and commit to schooling?

What does free room and board really mean? How long can/will it last? Is this a family you can live with? What will be expected of you living with this family? If it doesn't work out, what other options do you have?

Whatever makes you happy, I suppose. Make sure the job is stable. Switching college isn't a big deal, it's just a community college if I remember correctly, they're all the same more or less.

Although I'm not sure I'd be moving out of my way for a 9 dollar an hour job. But I guess if the prospects are good for the future and it's the best thing on the table, you don't have much of a choice.

It's 9 dollars on top of accomodation which is what most of my wages go on.

It's 9 dollars on top of accomodation which is what most of my wages go on.

I suppose accommodation helps, but is it a condition of the job? Milk said he'd be living with an old boss or something. You never know how stable being a tenant is going to be.

It's a condition of the job. The old boss and I are extremely close, he's been a father figure to me for much of my life (I originally met him in church when I was 14). He's got it settled out with his boss that I live with him.

This calls for a Stormtrooper Numbered Post©®™

1. Is the college a Community College like has been mentioned? If so, then it really is easy to switch, and it isn't a big deal.

2. You say this boss is like a father-figure to you. Is this the caring, loving, respectful father figure, or the beat you with a ball-bat father figure? Would living with this man be a positive experience, a negative experience, neutral, or unknown? If he's a cool guy that you respect and don't mind living with, then it's good. If he's a deadbeat who beats on you then just say no. Chances are it's the former, not the latter.

3. Is this a pay-raise over what you are currently making? If yes, then do it. If not, then think more about it.

4. Do you have many people with whom you have positive relations with in your current location? Does your family live in this area, causing you the distress of moving away from your family? If yes, then think about it. If no, then run like the wind to this new job.

5. Do you enjoy meeting new people? If yes, then do it. If no, then think about it.

Hopefully that helps. As someone who has moved before (hell, I didn't even have a job offer making me want to move), feel free to ask for more advice if needed.

3 hours isn't much. For my last two years of school, time for going to school+coming back would add up to 3.5 hours each day. Don't know much about how stuff works in America, but if it sounds like a good deal financially and careerwise, plus if you are happy with the job, go for it.
P.S. A wrestling fan as a manager, hmmm...

This calls for a Stormtrooper Numbered Post©®™

1. Is the college a Community College like has been mentioned? If so, then it really is easy to switch, and it isn't a big deal.

2. You say this boss is like a father-figure to you. Is this the caring, loving, respectful father figure, or the beat you with a ball-bat father figure? Would living with this man be a positive experience, a negative experience, neutral, or unknown? If he's a cool guy that you respect and don't mind living with, then it's good. If he's a deadbeat who beats on you then just say no. Chances are it's the former, not the latter.

3. Is this a pay-raise over what you are currently making? If yes, then do it. If not, then think more about it.

4. Do you have many people with whom you have positive relations with in your current location? Does your family live in this area, causing you the distress of moving away from your family? If yes, then think about it. If no, then run like the wind to this new job.

5. Do you enjoy meeting new people? If yes, then do it. If no, then think about it.

Hopefully that helps. As someone who has moved before (hell, I didn't even have a job offer making me want to move), feel free to ask for more advice if needed.

1) It's from a community college to a university. The tuition on the uni is only about 1,000$ more though. Walter State (my current college) isn't really "prestigious. Much like any other community college it's good for the surrounding area, but not much further. Middle Tennessee State University is more of "prestigious" school which would make my degree mean more simply in the aspect of networks, professors, etc.

2) We've always gotten along. He's not over-the-top christian. Even after my conversion to atheism, we've hung out quite a bit. He's just a great guy. I've never lived with him to know if he's a good living partner though.

3) It's 1.70$ more than I'm making now. But the best part is right now my hours run anywhere between 10 and 40, according to sales. This promotion would give me a guaranteed 35-40 hours a week. It's company policy. All managers get 35 hours minimum 40 hours maximum. Last week, albeit due to medical reasons, I got paid 60$. The check before that I got paid 450$. Right now it's unstable. This would stabilize that cashflow to where I could have a "proper" budget.

4) Only my mom. But with technology today, I don't see the issue with leaving her honestly. I would still be capable of talking to her via computer and phone whenever she or I please.

5) I love meeting new people. It's when I get to know them that I hate them. :p

1) It's from a community college to a university. The tuition on the uni is only about 1,000$ more though. Walter State (my current college) isn't really "prestigious. Much like any other community college it's good for the surrounding area, but not much further. Middle Tennessee State University is more of "prestigious" school which would make my degree mean more simply in the aspect of networks, professors, etc.

2) We've always gotten along. He's not over-the-top christian. Even after my conversion to atheism, we've hung out quite a bit. He's just a great guy. I've never lived with him to know if he's a good living partner though.

3) It's 1.70$ more than I'm making now. But the best part is right now my hours run anywhere between 10 and 40, according to sales. This promotion would give me a guaranteed 35-40 hours a week. It's company policy. All managers get 35 hours minimum 40 hours maximum. Last week, albeit due to medical reasons, I got paid 60$. The check before that I got paid 450$. Right now it's unstable. This would stabilize that cashflow to where I could have a "proper" budget.

4) Only my mom. But with technology today, I don't see the issue with leaving her honestly. I would still be capable of talking to her via computer and phone whenever she or I please.

5) I love meeting new people. It's when I get to know them that I hate them. :p
So what's the downside to moving and taking the job, then?

It looks like nothing based on what I have read. Stable/better pay, free room and board, better schooling (for only slightly more money), nobody you're going to no longer see by moving.

Based on what I read, my official recommendation is to take the job offer and move. Unless there's another reason you don't want to do it that you aren't sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back