• Band Aid - Do They Know Its Christmas

• Phil Collins - Another Day In Paradise

• Michael Jackson - Heal the World

• Rage Against the Machine - People of the Sun

• Other - Please Post Song and Reason

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shadowmancer

I am The Last Baron
I was listening to a couple of Songs recently and I was listening in particular to the lyrics, it raised the question of what the most Socially Concious songs is, I really think it falls into one of Two songs Despite there being about two other songs that define it Ill wait until some more discussion before I say what ones I think they are, But Ill post the four options I think that cover this properly. Another Reason is the Beginning of the Chistmas Season and that implies some sort of social conciousness occurs in people over this time.

Van Halen - Right Now
[youtube]WCkQZOnCN3k[/youtube]

Band Aid - Do They Know Its Christmas Time
[youtube]qsqsiJRiCY0[/youtube]

Phil Collins - Another Day In Paradise
[youtube]ftlYLcEW_I4[/youtube]

Michael Jackson-Heal the World
[youtube]2boee8XEHA0[/youtube]

Rage Against the Machine - People of the Sun
[youtube]7hQgCJGNspI[/youtube]

Shadow asked me to post in his "new thread" and I hate to let my man down. Now that I am here, I realize I have a great deal to say. Excellent thread, Shadow.

I am one of the world's youngest HUGE Van Halen fans. Right Now is the song, more specifically the video, that made me realize I wanted to get back together with my girlfriend at the time and she is now my fiancee. So I owe a great deal to that song. But it's not one of my most "socially conscious" songs of all time.

1. Sunday, Bloody Sunday by U2. Take it from an Irishman, it can be hard not to get teary-eyed when this song is done live. It conjures the painful memories of the 13 unarmed Irish Catholics shot mercilessly by British soldiers in Northern Ireland - a dark day for not just the Irish people but for mankind as a whole. The great thing about this sing is that it can translate so well to any dispute, war, situation, etc. Even now with America and Iraq. The cry "How long? How long must we sing this song?" is so powerful, but so true, and no matter how old the song gets it will always be relevant.

2. Pity the Dead by Bad Religion. Actually, anything by the Godfathers of Punk would apply to this thread, but "Pity the Dead" off the powerful album "The Gray Race" asks the question why we feel so sorry for people who pass on when with all of the crime, poverty, violence, hate, and bigotry in the world maybe they are the lucky ones. A fantastic song not just lyrically, but musically as well.

3. Crossfire by The Scorpions. Another war-based anthem, starting with a hypnotic drum beat a la war march and featuring the echoing line "Why must the people that we made the leaders of the world...understand...that we don't want to fight...understand...we are far too young to die...

4. War Pigs by Black Sabbath. A scathing song about the socio-economic gap in those who declare the wars and those who are left fighting them. "Politicians hide themselves away, they only started the war...why should they be left to die, they leave that to the poor..." Everytime I hear that song I think of Michael Moore (who I think is a hack) asking congressmen to enlist their sons and daughters in the army to fight in the war they declared.

5. Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater Revival. These guys were the poster children for anti-Vietnam war protests and draft dodging in the 1960's. Their music still resonates with passion and fire today. This song in particular meets head-on the topic of the protection the rich and politically connected have in avoiding the world's least popular war.

6. Bulls on Parade by Rage Against the Machine. Maybe the greatest political-rock band of all time. The lyrics of all of their songs could make anything they do a part of this list, but the angry screams of "Rally 'round the family with a pocket full of shells" as an indictment against the security and arms industries for encouraging foreign conflict as a way to drum up business. Written long before Halliburton's involvement in the Iraq war of today, but never more relevant.

7. Southern Man by Neil Young. A basic, clear, direct description of Southern mistreatment of slaves by white owners and the inherent fear of thoughts and appearances different from the Southern Norm even after the Jim Crow laws were repealed. Lynard Skynard's "Sweet Home Alabama" was a rebuttle to "Southern Man" which only served to catapult this song's legend.

8. Fuck the Police by N.W.A. In a day when rap lyrics meant more than ho's, money, and gangsta killings, N.W.A. took straight aim at racism and profiling in the Los Angeles police force, though one could argue the sing could be applied to any diverse major U.S. city. It tackled the stereotypes of blacks being portrayed as drug dealers and gansters exclusively. It also questioned the heart of the black police officers who chose to back the white police instead of the black citizens. "Fuckin with me cuz I'm a teenager, With a little bit of gold and a pager... Searchin my car, lookin for the product, Thinkin every ***** is sellin narcotics."

9. Taxman by The Beatles. While I could have also pegged "Revolution" as the Beatles anthem for my list, I went with this poetic disendorsement of the political hand being in the American pocket at every turn. "If you drive a car, I'll tax the street...if you try to sit, I'll tax your seat. If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat...if you try to walk I'll tax your feet." Well, look at all of the money being spent on the Iraq war and tell me - how badly is my driving, my sitting, my warmth, and my walking being wasted?

10. Keep'em Separated by The Offspring. A great before-its-time look at school kids and guns, the gang land empires permiating our youth. The line "By the time you hear the sirens, it's already too late...one goes to the morgue and the other to jail, one guy's wasted and the other's a waste..." Well before Columbine people saw this coming. The American gun culture filters down, not up...

11. American Idiot by Green Day. Sorry to go above a top ten list, but I can't leave this one off. A ballbat to the groin of f-ed up American Pop Culture, complete with a hilarious (though terrible) imitation of The Governator. The war in Iraq is 4th page news, but god forbid anybody not see the headlines about Britney's comeback or A-Rod's opt-out. Ridiculous.

I give honorbale mention to The Dixie Chicks "I'm Not Ready to Make Nice." I may not be their #1 fan, but that song is ballsy and well written. I will also advise people to download a sing called "Guns and Cigarettes" by a band called "Atmosphere." I will post more as I think of them.

Excellent post Irish, I don't have enough time to post something as well written and lengthy as that, but I will give my one example.

Anything by Bob Dylan. It's Bob Dylan people. I was really shocked he wasn't included on the poll, granted the poll is small, but come on, has there ever been a musician more famous for his social messages then Bob Dylan? Literally almost every single song of his from the 1960s and 70s was political. Heres a great example--- Hurricane. I know we've all heard this wonderful song. A social message wrapped in poetry and awesome music.

I'd probably have to go with either Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin'" or the lesser known Phil Och's "I Ain't Marching Anymore".

I'm a big old school folk music geek.

Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin'
[youtube]KhNb5BsvjXA[/youtube]

Phil Ochs - I Ain't Marchin' Anymore
[youtube]L5pgrKSwFJE[/youtube]

I'm not really into alot of bands that are considered socially aware or political, so I don't have a list of socially conscious songs in my head. However, the song that comes to my mind first is Imagine by John Lennon. Lennon made his solo career on writing politically charged and socially conscious songs. And Imagine is a masterpiece regardless of the content.

Okay I lied, I've got some more ideas here for great social songs.

First off, the Dead Kennedys. If you've ever heard Jello Biafra, you know he is one of the most outspoken political musical minds of the last 50 years. Set over hardcore punk with jazz-style timing, I can't think of a more political band who's shows provided more energy. This song, Holiday in Cambodia, was made in the early 80s, when most people were still very unaware of the genocide taking place in Cambodia by the ruling Communist party, the Khmer Rouge. If you've ever seen the movie "The Killing Fields", you understand. More then 10 million people were killed in a 5 year span.

Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia
[youtube]0R9_ZLxsmmg[/youtube]

Next up, is a band most people haven't heard of. Defiance, Ohio. They're a mix of folk and acoustic rock with the energy and speed of punk music, always with a very political and socially concious message. This first song is called "Tanks Tanks Tanks" and describes things that have happened to this country for a long time and recently.

Defiance, Ohio - Tanks, Tanks, Tanks!
[youtube]DEqzHXr-pLQ[/youtube]

This other song by them is about the pursuit of unity in the face of authority and hatred, racism and sexism. Good tune.

Defiance, Ohio - I Don't Want Solidarity...
[youtube]0lzb_Cdt3Fk[/youtube]

Okay, now I really am done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back