So, who does everyone recognize as the greatest of all time?

WrestlingHistorian

Pre-Show Stalwart
With thousands upon thousands of competitors who have competed in our great sport, who does everyone recognize as the greatest of all time? Who is the Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Muhammud Ali and Joe Montana of our sport?

In my opinion that mantle belong's to one of either two men, Harley Race and Ric Flair. Flair gets all of the accolades from most fans because he has been in the spotlight and has been around during the big "booms" or wrestling's popularity, but during his prime (1981-1990) he has wrestled some of the best matches and has given some of the best interviews that the sport of pro wrestling has ever seen. He once held the NWA World Heavyweight Championship for over two years and has had multiple reigns as World's Champion last well over the 1 year mark all while wrestling the most grueling schedule ever in the history of the sport.

Harley Race once held the NWA title for 2 1/2 years and has had multiple reigns with the belt that lasted for considerable time. He was a huge part of the NWA from the early 70's until the early 80's and has wrestled in some of the most classic bouts in NWA history, he also promoted cards for the NWA through his territory and helped to better the business, Harley Race was an amazing, amazing champion and talent in the ring.

I look foward to hearing the choices of others here and seeing what competitors get the nod. Other wrestlers I would have chosen but didn't for whatever reasons were...........

Ricky Steamboat
Great Muta
Lou Thez
Bruno Sammartino
Giant Baba
Antonio Inoki
Hulk Hogan
Jushin Thunder Liger
Kenta Kobashi
Buddy Rodgers
Dory Funk Jr.

It's quite obviously Hulk Hogan. The man who revolutionized the sport before it was even cool to do so. Hell, I would even go so far to say that Hogan IS the sport. Hogan, the TRUE Mr. Wrestlemania (as the first couple were completely based around him, and if you dont believe that... well, then youre just wrong), not only popularized the sport to the masses, but became a true icon over the years and a great household name. If I ask my dad to name one pro wrestler, the only thing he would probably be able to come up with is Hulk Hogan. I know that's not proving much, but it really does speak alot about Hogan and his enormous notoriety. I could go on and on about Hogan, but, when you think about it, he's really the only answer to this question.

Well if this is about actual wrestling than to me its Bret "The Hitman" Hart. He can out wrestle anyone in his prime. I wish he didn't get injured, I wish he would make a comeback, wrestle one last match.

Yet if you are speaking about the total package, I dislike him, but its Hulk Hogan. He carried wrestling during its "Golden Age". He won a World Title in 3 different decades(80's, 90's, 00's). He was a part of the one of the greatest stables in wrestling history. He was also a part of probably the most known match in wrestling history against Andre the Giant, at WrestleMania 3. He put up a lot of good WrestleMania matches. He brought the wrestling world to new heights, so like him or not, he is the greatest of all time.

It's quite obviously Hulk Hogan. The man who revolutionized the sport before it was even cool to do so. Hell, I would even go so far to say that Hogan IS the sport. Hogan, the TRUE Mr. Wrestlemania (as the first couple were completely based around him, and if you dont believe that... well, then youre just wrong), not only popularized the sport to the masses, but became a true icon over the years and a great household name. If I ask my dad to name one pro wrestler, the only thing he would probably be able to come up with is Hulk Hogan. I know that's not proving much, but it really does speak alot about Hogan and his enormous notoriety. I could go on and on about Hogan, but, when you think about it, he's really the only answer to this question.

Hogan was a great competitor in the 80's and early 90's and he did make WrestleMania into an important event and not just a normal card with the name slapped on it, he also generated more revenue for the WWF and the sport than just about anyone in history. BUT the reason why I over looked Hulk Hogan was because of his in ring skill, it was good and he did his fair share of wrestling in between all of his posing, but he was not a world class competitor and as nicely polished as some of the greats both before and after him. I am not taking anything away from the man, he is a REAL legend and more than a flavor of the month like a lot of todays competitors, but he wouldn't top my list as the best ever, and there are LOTS of answers to this question. Good pick though.

Hogan was a great competitor in the 80's and early 90's and he did make WrestleMania into an important event and not just a normal card with the name slapped on it, he also generated more revenue for the WWF and the sport than just about anyone in history. BUT the reason why I over looked Hulk Hogan was because of his in ring skill, it was good and he did his fair share of wrestling in between all of his posing, but he was not a world class competitor and as nicely polished as some of the greats both before and after him. I am not taking anything away from the man, he is a REAL legend and more than a flavor of the month like a lot of todays competitors, but he wouldn't top my list as the best ever, and there are LOTS of answers to this question. Good pick though.

Although I can see where youre coming from when you say he's not the best actual wrestler that ever lived, in the end... does that actually matter as much as most people like to think it does? I mean, think about it, Hogan's matches and his character were entertaining by themselves, while his matches were just decent, but, in the end, you remeber HOGAN and some of his classic moments over anything else, thus making him an amazing wrestling talent alone. And I'm pretty sure NorCal himself would say that you're underrating Hogan as an in-ring talent.

Anyway, who would top your list?

Although I can see where youre coming from when you say he's not the best actual wrestler that ever lived, in the end... does that actually matter as much as most people like to think it does? I mean, think about it, Hogan's matches and his character were entertaining by themselves, while his matches were just decent, but, in the end, you remeber HOGAN and some of his classic moments over anything else, thus making him an amazing wrestling talent alone. And I'm pretty sure NorCal himself would say that you're underrating Hogan as an in-ring talent.

Anyway, who would top your list?

I am not underrating him as an in ring competitor, and I am going off of individual peoples thoughts on who is the best wrestler as in competitor/challenger/champion/talent and so on, I didn't mean who did the most for the business, I guess I should have been more descriptive. As to what matters to wrestling fans as to who is the best ever, thats all in what their taste of wrestling is like, some like the "sport", while others like the "show", but as far as my pics, I mentioned them in my original post. They were Harley Race and Ric Flair.

This is a matter of language. Greatness is not just a matter of suplexes and submissions. It concerns aura. There is an aura that surrounds the legends of wrestling: the aura of greatness. It's indefinable, but you sure as fuck know when it's there. Perhaps the only one currently active who truly possesses this aura is Orton.

The best was Bret Hart, and I do not think there will ever be another one like him. But the greatest was Hogan, and there will be nothing like him ever again. Unquestionably. His promo work, his overness, his longevity, his achievements, his work. He was a far better worker than Flair, and better than most other names that rise to mind with the exception of, perhaps, Michaels, Cena, Austin, Rock, Owen Hart - and of course the Hitman himself.

My personal favorite is Bret Hart and I enjoyed his matches the most but when it comes down to it Hogan is the greatest and in my opinion it really isn't debatable. No wrestler had the crowd in their hand like Hogan did, anything he did would get a reaction. A simple look at the crowd after he gave a bodyslam would draw a reaction, he knew how to work a crowd better than anybody which is what made him so good. In my opinion the story he told in the ring was second to none, I rank Bret Hart very high in that aspect but I think Hogan was even better at it. He had you glued to his matches all the time. And for those that think he only knew a few moves go look up some of his matches in Japan and he'll show you that he has some technical ability.

My personal favorite is Bret Hart and I enjoyed his matches the most but when it comes down to it Hogan is the greatest and in my opinion it really isn't debatable. No wrestler had the crowd in their hand like Hogan did, anything he did would get a reaction. A simple look at the crowd after he gave a bodyslam would draw a reaction, he knew how to work a crowd better than anybody which is what made him so good. In my opinion the story he told in the ring was second to none, I rank Bret Hart very high in that aspect but I think Hogan was even better at it. He had you glued to his matches all the time. And for those that think he only knew a few moves go look up some of his matches in Japan and he'll show you that he has some technical ability.

I said the same thing as you. So that means I agree with you. Hogan set the bar, as far as what he did, Main Events and what not. Yet Bret probably is the best actual wrestler. His nicknames The Best There Is, The Best There Was and The Best There Ever Will Be and The Excellence of Execution truly fit him. Everyone wants one last Hogan, or Rock, or Stone Cold match, but I'd loved to see one last Bret Hart match. It would have to be against either HBK(don't know how it would happen though), Jericho or Kurt Angle(don't know how it would happen though). Really against anyone, I just want one last Bret Hart match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back