So where does CM Punk fit?

Blade

"Original Blade"
We know Punk is one of the most over, if not the most over, heels in WWE right now. He's become the darling of the IWC once again and he can't seem to do any wrong. His promos are some of the best we've ever seen and he's pretty damn good in the ring too. No doubt if he keeps this up, he'll be one of WWE's biggest stars for years to come.

But when people look ahead to next year, there's one question being asked: Is CM Punk ready to headline Wrestlemania?

One day, he will be headlining Wrestlemania. But could he headline Wrestlemania 26? He reminds me of The Rock before Wrestlemania 15. His super-over heel persona, his great personas, and his handful of world titles. Just like the Rock was in 1999, yet the Rock still headlined Mania 15. But Right now, probably not. He's one of the most entertaining guys in wrestling, but he hasn't shown that he can draw.
Maybe whether he can draw or not is irrelevant, as the name Wrestlemania is enough of a draw in itself and WWE should probably be focusing on putting on an entertaining show...

But anyway, what will CM Punk's role be at Wrestlemania 26? Perhaps he could be in a world title match since there seems to be at least 1 triple threat world title match at Wrestlemania...
Or will he be in a high-profile non-title match up, like a Raw vs Smackdown match?

If Punk can keep up his current momentum then I can absolutely see him in a world title match at Wrestlemania XXVI. Perhaps against a returning Edge or maybe even 'Taker if McMahon backs Punk not only behind the scenes but in front of the camera also. A Triple Threat with Edge and Jericho would also be a possibility, although such a match might be taking up too many top quality heels.

That said, I do have some fears regarding the current direction of his character. His promos have been fantastic, the Straight-Edge gimmick is great as is his Pepsi tagline regarding the "Choice of a New Generation" but the actual substance of his promos has to evolve beyond coming out and telling the crowd how much better he is than they are can only get him so far. Similar to Jericho's "hypocrites," it could get stale and one-dimensional very quickly.

As for him being a draw, it is still unclear. Feuding with Hardy and 'Taker can easily skew Punk's actual impact on the ratings. If Punk emerges from his 'Taker feud with the title, maybe then we will see what he can really do.

Personally, I see "Better Than You" Punk as a potential long-term champion; the heel that always manages to retain no matter what the situation. If creative gets behind him, then Punk could be a better heel champion than JBL and Edge. A properly done Straight-Edge Punk could be hated in the same way that the Honky Tonk Man was during his epic Intercontinental Title reign. By the turn of the year, the audience might be tuning in not in hope of seeing Cena or 'Taker win the title but praying that Punk loses, no matter who he is facing.

Firstly the thing with The Rock back then is many people didn't think he was ready for it and nobody bought the theory that The Rock would win. The feud was also basically Vince vs Austin with The Rock as Vince's chosen man. The ending to the match and the aftermath was all about Vince and Stone Cold.

Now onto CM Punk, he would have to go on a hell of a reign to be able to headline WrestleMania this year. He would have to get a big, clean win over Undertaker, Batista and then possibly Rey if he was going to be built up enough.

If I wasn't so set on seeing Cena/'Taker at 'Mania then a Cena/Punk feud could well be Main Event worthy, seeing as they forget the brand split then. The only problem there is a valid enough reason to get Cena into a feud with Punk. Possibly have Punk target Cena in his promos from around the Royal Rumble onwards with Cena finally snapping.

However, say if 'Taker beats Punk in the Cell next Sunday then I don't see him being on the right kind of level come WrestleMania this year. Yes he's had a big win over Jeff, but another couple of massive, cleanish victories will put him so over they'd have to put him in a big WrestleMania feud.

I think Punk could easily headline Wrestlemania as early as next year, especially considering they have two headlining world title matches to work with. Besides, assuming he stays as one of the major players on Smackdown (and I don't see why he wouldn't) and that the rosters are mostly the same heading into Wrestlemania 26, who are they gonna choose over CM Punk to main event for Smackdown? Batista vs. Undertaker again? Blech. If Wrestlemania were right around the corner, I'd say maybe they'd do Taker vs. Batista vs. Punk in a triple threat match...but who knows what'll happen in 6 months' time?

Bottom line, CM Punk has had a more-than-solid run as a main eventer these past few months, and it has been far superior to his first run as world champion over on Raw. So yes, I think he'd make a good candidate to headline Wrestlemania. Hell, with all this talk about Edge turning face when he returns (and if he's able to return by No Way Out), maybe do a real Punk vs. Edge feud, but with Punk as the heel and Edge as the face. I think that would be pretty solid. Throw in Taker if you have to. Leave the Smackdown vs. Raw match for Batista, the guy who is so in love with Smackdown that he chose to be there over Raw, not to mention his entertainment value is much better suited to a match of considerably less significance than a world title match at Wrestlemania.

Yeah, I nominate Punk to headline Wrestlemania 26.

I'm actually not sure if I can see that. Maybe, if the world title match wasn't the actual main event of WM, or if there were other over/major stars in the match. If Jericho or Edge were in the match with Punk, in a triple threat, I can see it. I couldn't see him doing a singles match to headline WM. IMO, there's a difference between headlining WM in a singles match or triple threat match. A singles match seems more significant to me at WM. Anyway, Punk in a triple threat match, similar to that of Rey Mysterio at WM 22, then yea he could be in a world title match by WM 26. But, if not, then I just don't see it.

I see no reason why Punk couldnt be in the SD main event at WM26. He has already headlined several ppvs as champion or #1 contender and has clearly stepped up to the plate and put on some great matches. Remember BATISTA headlined WM21 when, in my opinion, he was not ready at all. Punks match may not go on last at Mania, put he would put in a solid performance as a co-headliner for the show if he is involved

Punk headline Mania 26? Hellz no kiddies. There's currently 4 or 5 other names on Smackdown that have a better chance of headlining Mania over Punk. Allow me to show you. Batista, Jericho, Taker, and a guy people seem to forget will be back around then that you may have heard of... a fella by the name of Edge. All those guys have a better chance to headline Mania26 given no injuries. Chances are that Edge/Jericho will headline Smackdown's ME for Mania. It has to. Jericho is still throwing Edge's name around and doing so BRILLIANTLY because the E doesn't want anybody forgetting Edge exists. His return will be a triumph I think. I know he's been out before, but the inevitable run as a face he's going to get, his feud with Jericho he will get, his feud with Punk he will get are just thinks we are waiting ever so patiently for. I don't think I've been more excited for a superstar to return from injury as I am for Edge's return.

But Punk won't headline Mania for the title. As I said... he'll take a backseat to Jericho/Edge if Edge is back by then. I'd rather see Punk/Batista at Mania where Punk goes over Batista in an absolute beatdown. That would add another world champion to Punk's resume. WM26... I don't see it. WM27... Punk will headline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back