So Let Me Get This Straight (NFL Combine Version)

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Apparently RG3 has improved his draft stock due to his combine performance.

How exactly does jumping high in the air, running 40 yards and a long jump distance raise your draft stock? How does a one day workout mean more than however many seasons Griffin had at Baylor? It meant enough to change it, but what could you learn about a QB or any player in general for that matter based on the stuff that is tested in the combine? I think it was Terelle Suggs who was told his stock went down because his 40 time was bad. When exactly has a defensive tackle needed to run 40 yards for a sack? How often is a QB going to run 40 yards a play? Why is this event such an important thing?

If a QB has the ability to run 40 yards, thats when. Ask the guys on the Vikings about that when they played Micheal Vick once upon a time.

the 40 doesnt matter for DEs or DTs, the 20 yard split does.

Thing here is, your bitching about nothing. Know why? Because everyone who does what we are discussing for a living knows this shit. They also know popping on tape is about 85% of the evaluation process.

The NFL Scouting Combine does serve 1 purpose though. It is the first time the NFL teams actually get to sit and interview the draftees. That is the first time that teams get to find out not only what type of person they are, but how sharp their football acumen is.

I've always thought that 40 times are always way overrated, until I read they they actually break the numbers down into segments to determine takeoff and closing speeds. On defense especially, closing speeds are everything.

Standing broad and vertical leap can help determine explosiveness.

Plus, the teams get to interview the dudes for the first time, like Stormtrooper said.

honestly, all the results need to be taken with about ten million grains of salt.

This is what the athletes wear when they run, jump, lift, etc.
6030176.jpg

You don't play football in the NFL in what can best be described as athletic underwear. In the NFL, you wear pads, and lots of them. Those pads add a lot of extra weight, and are cumbersome and not aerodynamic.

I'd rather have guys that are fast in pads, then fast in underwear. A lot of times guys can run slower 40 times, but not have as much of a dropoff once they put on pads.

The workouts don't mean much but the interview process is very important, especially with the top guys who you already know excel athletically. John Clayton said RG3 had the best interview session he has seen in 25 years. To reach your ultimate potential in the NFL it is just as important to have a good head on your shoulders and show good football smarts, as it is to be a freak of an athlete. When you combine both, it raises the stock of a guy who was already a consensus top 10 pick based off his college career.

None of this shit matters. Redskins are just gonna trade all their first-round draft picks until 2049 for RG3 anyway.

The combine is so overrated it's unreal. Just watch the tapes. They'll tell you more than watching someone run 40 yards ever will. The best part of the combine is Rich Eisen running the 40 yard dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back