Should I make the Legends Tournament a yearly thing?

Should I make the Legends Tournament a yearly thing?

• Yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
What?!?! Why?

Because, as Murfish said after me, the Movie section has all kinds of potential for a great Tournament. I commend Papa Shango for his efforts last year, but there should never have been a straight-up movie tournament (how the hell can you do a movie tournament when you have literally tens of thousands to choose from?). The Directors Tournament would be much more encompassing, and we could discuss who has the best filmography, who has been the most influential, whether awards or box office gross mean more to the reputation of a director, etc.

Jake proposed a franchise tournament instead. I would prefer the Directors Tournament, but I understand that the franchise tournament would have much more appeal. But, if we don't get pretentious with the directors we choose to be in the Tournament, I think we'll be fine.

The Legend's tournament was probably good, but with the Wrestlezone tournament it just seems pointless.

The Legend's tournament was probably good, but with the Wrestlezone tournament it just seems pointless.
It's not though. the WZ tourney has active wrestlers The Legends Tourney doesn't . That fact alone makes it very different also the voting criteria are completely different.

Because, as Murfish said after me, the Movie section has all kinds of potential for a great Tournament. I commend Papa Shango for his efforts last year, but there should never have been a straight-up movie tournament (how the hell can you do a movie tournament when you have literally tens of thousands to choose from?). The Directors Tournament would be much more encompassing, and we could discuss who has the best filmography, who has been the most influential, whether awards or box office gross mean more to the reputation of a director, etc.

Jake proposed a franchise tournament instead. I would prefer the Directors Tournament, but I understand that the franchise tournament would have much more appeal. But, if we don't get pretentious with the directors we choose to be in the Tournament, I think we'll be fine.

I think the biggest problem with the movie tourny, and the reason I didn't like it was largely do to the fact that they mixed movies from every genre together, I mean seriously how the fuck do you have anything resemble an intelligent debate when you get match ups like The Muppets Movie vs. Schindler's List?!, that's just stupid, they should have down a tourny for each genre IMO, I think that's way the music tourny worked out so well, it was all rock for the most part

Movie tournaments don't work partly for justin's reasons and partly because once you've said something, there is nothing else to say. Movies aren't dynamic the same way that people are, they are what they are and that's it. A band can have versitility and so can a director, however a best song tournament would just be arse. It's a potential problem with the upcoming video games tournament, definitely. I hope it isn't, obviously, but once you've said Goldeneye had a great multiplayer mode, you can't go anywhere, the next round comes along and you say the exact same thing.

I think the biggest problem with the movie tourny, and the reason I didn't like it was largely do to the fact that they mixed movies from every genre together, I mean seriously how the fuck do you have anything resemble an intelligent debate when you get match ups like The Muppets Movie vs. Schindler's List?!, that's just stupid, they should have down a tourny for each genre IMO, I think that's way the music tourny worked out so well, it was all rock for the most part

Great idea. If we could have eight directors in, let's say, comedy, horror, drama, and action, that would be ace.

It was last years Legends Tournament that helped me get my name out, and I still voted no.

Back when it existed, the pioneer section of the Old School section got absolutely no traffic. The number of people on this forum who possess interest in, and knowledge of, old school wrestling can be counted on one hand, and none of them are Milenko.

The original managed to somehow avoid including Gotch, Hackenschmidt, Wagner, Lewis or many other names from the pioneer era, and if it had included them then those threads would have likely achieved a grand total of two or three posts each. As memory serves, quite a lot of the match ups last year didn't even accomplish that.

Back when it existed, the pioneer section of the Old School section got absolutely no traffic. The number of people on this forum who possess interest in, and knowledge of, old school wrestling can be counted on one hand, and none of them are Milenko.
It's nice to know you can read people's mind over the internet and tell what people have interest in or have knowledge of.

It was last years Legends Tournament that helped me get my name out, and I still voted no.

The original managed to somehow avoid including Gotch, Hackenschmidt, Wagner, Lewis or many other names from the pioneer era, and if it had included them then those threads would have likely achieved a grand total of two or three posts each. As memory serves, quite a lot of the match ups last year didn't even accomplish that.

I friggin' love this guy!

He pretty much summed up the main reason why you shouldn't do it: it will attract maybe half a dozen people. The furthest back my wrestling knowledge goes is late 60's NWA and CWF. Shadow is probably the most knowledgable when it comes to the real old school pioneers.

Though I have to say, even though I don't proclaim to be an expert on the pioneers of wrestling, even I know that guys like Gotch and Hackenschmidt are absolutely necessary to that kind of tournament.

It's nice to know you can read people's mind over the internet and tell what people have interest in or have knowledge of.

I'm pretty sure you said, as a defence for writing factfiles on people using wikipedia, that you only started watching wrestling recently and didn't know much about old timers. That would suggest that you don't really have much of an interest in Ed "The Strangler" Lewis.

I'm pretty sure you said, as a defence for writing factfiles on people using wikipedia, that you only started watching wrestling recently and didn't know much about old timers. That would suggest that you don't really have much of an interest in Ed "The Strangler" Lewis.
My defense doesn't mean I have no interest in Old School Wrestling. When I have an interest in something I study it using more than Wikipedia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back