Santino Marella - On The Rise

i got to say this i watched some of santinos fcw videso and he was great and then vince made a dumb mistake he took the comedy to far he took one of his guys who actually had some really good talent in the ring and put the comedy into overdrive. now if the way its going now if they decide they are finally going to take santino out of jobber status and into midcarder permantly then great he can be great with a little bit of comedy but the one really thing he needs to do is get a new finisher the man has skills but the one thing holding bim back is the big boss. i feel he is better as a heel cause if you make him heel he can lose the comedy routine and you can make him snap for example he is getting tired of being laughed at and you dont need to be 6 foot 6 to be a monster in the ring or even kickass, but i really hope he gets the push he deserves even if it means that we wont be able to hear him mess up peoples names. but i accept that cause he deserves to show the skills he has and i belive he can be credible in the ring as long as vkm lets him shine instead of just making 7 year olds laugh.

i got to say this i watched some of santinos fcw videso and he was great and then vince made a dumb mistake he took the comedy to far he took one of his guys who actually had some really good talent in the ring and put the comedy into overdrive. now if the way its going now if they decide they are finally going to take santino out of jobber status and into midcarder permantly then great he can be great with a little bit of comedy but the one really thing he needs to do is get a new finisher the man has skills but the one thing holding bim back is the big boss. i feel he is better as a heel cause if you make him heel he can lose the comedy routine and you can make him snap for example he is getting tired of being laughed at and you dont need to be 6 foot 6 to be a monster in the ring or even kickass, but i really hope he gets the push he deserves even if it means that we wont be able to hear him mess up peoples names. but i accept that cause he deserves to show the skills he has and i belive he can be credible in the ring as long as vkm lets him shine instead of just making 7 year olds laugh.

Santino's finishing move would play a very important part in getting him over as a wrestler. His move set is growing quite a bit but as alot of people have stated, he can't be taken seriously with the Cobra. But on SD I saw something great that might actually mean a change in finishers. Santino hit the Cobra on Chavo but still had to school boy him for the win, Chavo was stunned but was not knocked out. IMO, give Santino a Fishermans Brainbuster. Last time I saw him do a suplex, it just looked so right.

I also think (hope) Santino is on the rise. Like you the OP mentioned, he's looking more and more like a wrestler each week. I agree he's still the main source of comedic relief, but I think we can see a smooth blend of both soon. I'm really happy with the new tag champs, the fans love them and I think Koslov and Santino complement each other nicely.

Um, Im a grown man, 22 years old, and I find Santino hilarious. I dont think he is targeted at kids any more than he is targeted at me.

Santino is polarizing on these boards, I agree. But those who hate the guy just dont get it. They are being tricked by kayfabe, or so it would appear. The guy is not immature, his jokes are not bathroom humour or child based. He is cracking on his opponents like any other good promo would do, and his jokes are relevent and, fun, if nothing else. Albeit his accent and fumbling with English is the real key, its still legitimate comedy.

One thing we can all agree on is the current crop are horrible actors. Why Mcmahon has not forced acting training down wrestlers throats is beyond me. There will NEVER be another golden age until WWE Superstars dont fail on the microphone every week, but I digress. Santino is one of the few, very few, who can actually act. And he is bar none one of the best. Comedy is about delivery, and his is the best of all active competitors. He blows Randy out of the damn water.

Thankfully, most people recognize his worth. I find most people who dont get it are either young and hes not cool so he must be for kids, and they wouldnt dare like what the kids like. Or theyre too blind to tell what talent is, and subconsciously base it on who the WWE tells them to, or just the opposite of who theyre told to for rebellions sake. The guy is top 5 on the mic, and a great worker. And no, I dont need to go citing his development work for that. Just because a guy is booked to have no offense and look weak, doesnt mean anything. Just watch a wrestler take the moves he is told to take and that will tell you his talent, and Santino has it.

I like his gimmick. There is inconsistency with having him be unable to defend himself one week and win a match the next, but Ive been watching wrestling most of my life, who really gives a crap. I certainly wont put my i will towards him for that. Theyre going to slowly give him skill and learn offense, and thats great. He heavily deserves the tag titles, he is so well rounded and so perfect at what he does that he puts others to shame. To shame. Im disappointed with how many people on here cant recognize talent, and cant look past the kayfabe and try to make your own opinions about things..

Quit insulting my intelligence already. I know all about his ability to use wresting - specifically judo - moves in his moveset. What I can't comprehend is why he can't use one of those moves as a finisher instead of a bloody poke to the eyes! If he was able to get a decent reaction out of a proper move then he may have a future beyond pandering to a PG audience.

Santino will not be a serious wrestler anytime soon. Understand that already - I'm sick of pwning you and repeating myself. Stop trolling me too - if you want to do that, find the damn Cage.

I have read this whole thread. And you sir, have neither "pwned" anyone or been trolled. Youve made yourself look like an asshole. Any point youve made has been turned personal towards someone else and its kind of sad. I looked over in the corner. I see you have a lot of posts. I dont need to read them. Youre obviously not as mature as you think, to claim someone must be a kid for marking for Santino, and to keep bringing up that youre a man. Everything you have said has ignored everything the other guy was saying, and frankly, it would appear to me you think the wrestlers run the WWE and make all the decisions, because literally every point you made was based on things Santino has to and has been told to do as part of his character, including his "weak" finisher. Its called character development...

You can stop trying to look cool now.

Santino's finishing move would play a very important part in getting him over as a wrestler.
Correction. Comedy wrestler. His moveset gets a pop, because it's funny. Not because it's impressive.
His move set is growing quite a bit but as alot of people have stated, he can't be taken seriously with the Cobra. But on SD I saw something great that might actually mean a change in finishers. Santino hit the Cobra on Chavo but still had to school boy him for the win, Chavo was stunned but was not knocked out.
How's getting poked in the face and then rolled over great? You got beat by a POKE TO THE FACE. It's a joke. It's Santino saying, "you are my joke. I can beat you by poking you in the face". It degrades wrestlers and makes them look like jokes.
IMO, give Santino a Fishermans Brainbuster. Last time I saw him do a suplex, it just looked so right.
He's gonna need more than Suplex variants to be seen as a treat to guys like Wade Barrett and Kane.
Um, Im a grown man, 22 years old, and I find Santino hilarious. I dont think he is targeted at kids any more than he is targeted at me.
No, he's still a kids thing.

Santino is polarizing on these boards, I agree. But those who hate the guy just dont get it.
I get that he's funny. i have no problem with that. I don have a problem with who becomes a victim of his comedy.

They are being tricked by kayfabe, or so it would appear. The guy is not immature, his jokes are not bathroom humour or child based. He is cracking on his opponents like any other good promo would do, and his jokes are relevent and, fun, if nothing else. Albeit his accent and fumbling with English is the real key, its still legitimate comedy.
There's a difference between kayfabe and a lousy push.

One thing we can all agree on is the current crop are horrible actors. Why Mcmahon has not forced acting training down wrestlers throats is beyond me. There will NEVER be another golden age until WWE Superstars dont fail on the microphone every week, but I digress.
Agreed. Oh, how much I agree.

Santino is one of the few, very few, who can actually act. And he is bar none one of the best. Comedy is about delivery, and his is the best of all active competitors. He blows Randy out of the damn water.
Randy? Orton? Since when as he a good actor? And as for Santino, being good at comedy isn't enough. I think The Rock, Mankind, Kurt Angle and a few others have proven it.
Thankfully, most people recognize his worth. I find most people who dont get it are either young and hes not cool so he must be for kids, and they wouldnt dare like what the kids like.
I disagree. I couldn't care less that he's for kids, adults or dogs. I do care that he can kill the credibility of other wrestlers.
Or theyre too blind to tell what talent is, and subconsciously base it on who the WWE tells them to
Trust me. The last thing I do is obeying WWE's little puppet game.
, or just the opposite of who theyre told to for rebellions sake.
I think of myself as a rebel in this sake, but in this case, no. I hold an actual opinion.
The guy is top 5 on the mic, and a great worker. And no, I dont need to go citing his development work for that.
1) CM Punk

2) Mr. Anderson

3) Ric Flair

4) The Pope

5) Beer Money

Sorry. Not my top 5. But that's subjective to opinion, so I won't dismiss it.
Just because a guy is booked to have no offense and look weak, doesnt mean anything. Just watch a wrestler take the moves he is told to take and that will tell you his talent, and Santino has it.
John Cena losses to Santino Marella following his devastating "Cobra". Umm...... Not even I. And I hate John Cena.
I like his gimmick. There is inconsistency with having him be unable to defend himself one week and win a match the next, but Ive been watching wrestling most of my life, who really gives a crap. I certainly wont put my i will towards him for that. Theyre going to slowly give him skill and learn offense, and thats great. He heavily deserves the tag titles, he is so well rounded and so perfect at what he does that he puts others to shame. To shame. Im disappointed with how many people on here cant recognize talent, and cant look past the kayfabe and try to make your own opinions about things..
My opinion is, as I said, based on the fact that he's a comedy character getting a push. There's a reason why John Morrison was the guy to face Sheamus at Survivor Series and not the guy who beat him, Santino Marella. At the end of the day, if his look isn't overhauled completely, it's just gonna be a comedian beating an action star. It kills credibility.

The problem here is that Santino has been a comedy act for so long that he cant be taken seriously. Now I admit, that I am not a big Santino fan but some of what he does is funny however thats only 1 funny thing a month maybe if that. I also get that WWE is an entertainment company but it is also a wrestling company and I tune into the WWE to see wrestling. I admit Santino is very good on the mic but his matches are just rubbish, there is no other word for it, thats not to say he cant have good matches, its just his gimmick wont allow him to. If you put Kozlov and Santino in the TNA tag division they wouldnt EVER win the titles in fact they wouldnt win a match in my opinon with their gimmick. The top TNA teams (MCMG and Beer Money) can main event shows and look like they belong against any top talents, if u put Santino and Kozlov in a main event against Cena and Orton for example, you would be shocked if they lasted 2 minutes. As far as Santino's push goes, for Santino to ever be considered more than a midcarder, he needs to change his gimmick and improve his moveset, have some solid matches and get some legit wins that are not seen as flukes over credible talent (eg no interference of silly roll ups etc), and a new finisher as the cobra is a joke. The move to compare the cobra to, would be Umaga's Samoan Spike but that at least looked like it would hurt, the cobra doesnt look like it should beat a guy in the street let alone a pro wrestler. As much as I hate to say it, Santino could 1 day be Champion because no1 ever said Miz would make it and he is WWE Champion now, so if he can do it why not Santino. He can wrestle as seen in OVW and he is good on the mic, which is half the battle in WWE as there are plenty of good wrestlers in WWE who are held back due to mic skills.

Correction. Comedy wrestler. His moveset gets a pop, because it's funny. Not because it's impressive.
How's getting poked in the face and then rolled over great? You got beat by a POKE TO THE FACE. It's a joke. It's Santino saying, "you are my joke. I can beat you by poking you in the face". It degrades wrestlers and makes them look like jokes.
He's gonna need more than Suplex variants to be seen as a treat to guys like Wade Barrett and Kane.

I get that he's funny. i have no problem with that. I don have a problem with who becomes a victim of his comedy.

Randy? Orton? Since when as he a good actor? And as for Santino, being good at comedy isn't enough. I think The Rock, Mankind, Kurt Angle and a few others have proven it.
I disagree. I couldn't care less that he's for kids, adults or dogs. I do care that he can kill the credibility of other wrestlers.
I think of myself as a rebel in this sake, but in this case, no. I hold an actual opinion.
1) CM Punk

2) Mr. Anderson

3) Ric Flair

4) The Pope

5) Beer Money

John Cena losses to Santino Marella following his devastating "Cobra". Umm...... Not even I. And I hate John Cena.
My opinion is, as I said, based on the fact that he's a comedy character getting a push. There's a reason why John Morrison was the guy to face Sheamus at Survivor Series and not the guy who beat him, Santino Marella. At the end of the day, if his look isn't overhauled completely, it's just gonna be a comedian beating an action star. It kills credibility.

Theres a reason why 4 of the 5 you listed are from TNA, because he IS one of the best mic workers in WWE, which is what I was getting at. And as far as Beer Money being better talkers, Im not sure how much more I could disagree. And as much as I enjoy Anderson, he gets an excess of praise for his work. Santino is about as smooth as can be, especially since coming from an actor, comedy is extremely hard to get right. I listed Orton as an example because hes a horrible actor, and is one of the top guys of the decade. People actually think he isnt one of the crappiest talkers in the main event in years, and he absolutely is.

Why is everyone acting like anyone is suggesting Santino be a top worker? Hell no he shouldnt beat Cena with the Cobra, thats a horrible example. He should always be a midcarder, Im not disputing that. Yet everyones argument is how its unrealistic and cant be taken seriously. Please. This is pro wrestling, if thats the best dispute against him, then that shows my point. I wasnt aware that informed fans blame wrestlers for the gimmick theyre given, no matter if they are flawless at it. More so, I didnt know informed fans had a problem with a gimmick expanding into something bigger. Tommy Dreamer was one of the biggest jobbers in ECW, he became a midcard threat. There is no reason Santino cant be the tag team champions with Kozlov. He deserves it. And I dont really care if some people think its unrealistic. Seriously? This is pro wrestling.

1) CM Punk

2) Mr. Anderson

3) Ric Flair

4) The Pope

5) Beer Money

In the first to replies you're twisting my words. When I say a good finisher would help him get over as a WRESTLER, it means it would make him more legit as a fighter not as a comic, so take away the Cobra and give him something useful. Secondly, when I brought up how he had to schoolboy Chavo after the Cobra(which is a poke to the throat btw) I was pointing out that maybe the Cobra isn't working anymore, maybe they are giving him a new finisher soon. If so, that would be awesome.

I think him being a tag champion is perfect. The Cobra is pretty damn over, but it is not and will never be on The People's Elbow's level.

I like Santino's contribution to the show. He is entertainment to the fullest and is a talented dude. He should be rewarded for what he brings to the WWE. He might not be looked at as a serious competitor but if given the right opportunities, he could be. He could continue on the path he is on and be a huge star without being the WWE Champion.

He could be a character on many shows and movies. The guy is seriously marketable. WWE knows what they have with him, and I think Santino will be in The WWE for a long time coming.

Santino does have a decent amount of in-ring skill, and when given the opportunity, he shows it. But he's never demonstrated the wrestling ability to get over, it was always his comedy. Even his initial IC title win was due to Lashley, and he was knocked out completely by Kofi when Beth pinned Mickie to win the Womens title along with the IC Title for himself.

So sure, Santino is on the rise. He's been the funniest he's been in the PG era in his teaming with Kozlov. But the important part is, funny. He's the comedy act that Vince wants him to be, and he does an excellent job of it. Him and Kozlov winning the tag straps is a good thing because it allows him to be on both shows, which certainly isnt a bad thing, and is a sign he's on the rise.

But this is as far as it gets for him. Santino winning the World Tag titles with Kozlov was again nothing more then a result of outside interference, this time by Cena. He'll probably help elevate the Tag Titles in the process, because people care about Santino. But this is as far as Santino goes, whether he has the shoot fighting ability or not. Santino has been a comedy character for so long that it would be impossible for anyone to take him seriously, so why bother with something that inevitably wouldn't work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back