RVD To Take Time Off?

Damn the people in this thread are fucking thick, you're bitching about something before it's had a chance to happen. For all you know Abyss could be the reason he gets injured, you dumbshits are whinging about something you haven't seen happen. There's a match with the 2x4 hanging above the ring, say Abyss and RVD have a solid match, RVD wins then bam Abyss beats him with the 2x4, that puts Abyss over a total psycho, it takes Van Dam out of the picture and then you get a tournament involving Abyss destroying everyone in his path, that does a much better job than Abyss winning one match.

And that might not even be how it turns out, maybe Fourtune attack him, maybe the Wolfpac attack him, there are plenty of great ways this could go and the best part is that whoever ends up champion gets to go through a slew of other wrestlers to get there. Pope winning a tournament on 16 wrestlers to get the title does a lot more than one pinfall victory over RVD. The number of fuckwits shitting on this without even knowing what will happen is ridiculous.

If RVD actually is taking time off, then his title reign will be ending. That seems like a good thing on the surface as his run has been pretty lackluster overall. However, to be fair, that has a lot to do with the TNA Ranking System. Even if the title is taken from RVD, I don't see how the next champ will do any better if TNA continues to implement the Ranking System. If that happens, the new champ will have the same lame one match feuds each month with a different opponent.

If the rumors are true about RVD taking time off, then I'd rather just see him drop the title in a match. One idea I don't like is to vacate the title and to have yet another tournament to declare a new champ. There have been tournaments held in TNA this year to declare new champions with other vacated titles, there've been tournaments to declare #1 contenders. TNA likes to go the tournament route a lot, throwing it around casually like they do gimmick matches and it just takes the special shine away from tournaments. Just have RVD drop the title in a match if he's taking time off. There's nothing wrong at all with going the traditional route.

Always working under the foolish assumption that internet speculation is completely true:

Stripping the title from RVD for a storyline injury in order to run a tournament is yet another desperate "let's pull a stunt to get people interested" move. I understand getting the belt of RVD; it was an attempt to pull in viewers who were familiar with his ECW/WWE work, and over the course of months, it failed. His title reign no longer generates buzz outside of people who are already watching TNA.

But a tournament? That's new and original!

OK, they could do worse, I admit. But why aren't they building a heel by having him demolish the top face on his way down? People don't watch wrestling to see the faces win, they watch wrestling to see the heels get their comeupance. (Why Chris Jericho makes such a damned good heel- look at how well he sells his losses.) You need a heel to look strong for that to work.

On the positive, they can use a tournament to push just about anyone, without needing a lengthy buildup (not that buildups are the current TNA's deal.) But I have strong doubts that TNA will thread a storyline through the tournament providing for a interesting champion- to people who don't already watch TNA. I fear we'll get yet another champion with momentary buzz who won't be able to carry the promotion on a regular basis because he gets a shit build into his title reign.

It's the right decision to take the title off of RVD. The execution is poor.

TNA can't catch a buzz with anything they do... Hogan and Bischoff hasn't worked, RVD hasn't worked, getting the has been's of a bingo hall promotion hasn't helped.. TNA needs to pick a direction and maybe stick with it a bit longer.. they had something special when They had AJ Styles and Samoa Joe, etc being at the top of their game.. ever since Christian and Rhyno TNA is just too much into getting wrestlers that leave WWE and making them an Instant Champion... I'll be surprised if TNA is around in 10 years and that might be being polite.

Damn the people in this thread are fucking thick, you're bitching about something before it's had a chance to happen. For all you know Abyss could be the reason he gets injured, you dumbshits are whinging about something you haven't seen happen. There's a match with the 2x4 hanging above the ring, say Abyss and RVD have a solid match, RVD wins then bam Abyss beats him with the 2x4, that puts Abyss over a total psycho, it takes Van Dam out of the picture and then you get a tournament involving Abyss destroying everyone in his path, that does a much better job than Abyss winning one match.

And that might not even be how it turns out, maybe Fourtune attack him, maybe the Wolfpac attack him, there are plenty of great ways this could go and the best part is that whoever ends up champion gets to go through a slew of other wrestlers to get there. Pope winning a tournament on 16 wrestlers to get the title does a lot more than one pinfall victory over RVD. The number of fuckwits shitting on this without even knowing what will happen is ridiculous.

he is right a 16 man tourney could take a nobody and make them some body if they get clean victories over every one four big victories but i would have the top ten be in the tourney automatically then in one impact have six matches to qualify for the final six spots (like the ncaa basketball conf. tournament for low ranked conference that only get the one auto bid) then take those six winners put them in a battle royal so the seeding can be determined first man eliminated is #16 and so on the winner of the battle royal is number 11. so lets say for argument sakes abyss is number one he could face amazing red who one the qualify spot and was the first eliminated in the battle royal he would be # 16 its would be like Duke playing Howard university in the first round of march madness . thats how I would book it.

I think a lot of the people posting here are somewhat missing the point that some of the other guys are making here.

If it turns out to be that RVD is taking time off and as such, would of course have to drop the title, that's one thing. Especially if his time off pertains to his wife who, as I understand it, has been battling cancer for a while, that's very understandable too. I don't think anyone on here would fault the man for taking time off to be with his ill wife if in fact that is the case.

I think the point being made by some guys, such as MISTERROB, is that if he is going to drop the title he should do so by losing a match to someone, whoever TNA chooses to run with, rather than have him randomly vacate the title, and having an equally random tournament to pick his successor. While I think "selfish prick" may be a little harsh and a little unfair, I do think the alleged title vacation is not a great idea. As I understand it, I don't think his wife is in the latter stages of cancer, nor do I think her life in in imminent peril. I could be wrong about this, if so someone can correct me. So if she has been battling cancer for a while and he wants to take time off to spend with her, I'm sure he could suck it up for one more night and actually wrestle a match and lose it to Anderson, or Hardy, or Styles, or whoever TNA decides is next in line. There's no reason to have an injury storyline whereby he gives up the title; have him lose it. And I do think it is a little selfish of him to take time off in this manner. At least have enough respect for the company to do what's best for them, put someone else over, and then take all the time off that you need.

I think a lot of the people posting here are somewhat missing the point that some of the other guys are making here.

If it turns out to be that RVD is taking time off and as such, would of course have to drop the title, that's one thing. Especially if his time off pertains to his wife who, as I understand it, has been battling cancer for a while, that's very understandable too. I don't think anyone on here would fault the man for taking time off to be with his ill wife if in fact that is the case.

I think the point being made by some guys, such as MISTERROB, is that if he is going to drop the title he should do so by losing a match to someone, whoever TNA chooses to run with, rather than have him randomly vacate the title, and having an equally random tournament to pick his successor. While I think "selfish prick" may be a little harsh and a little unfair, I do think the alleged title vacation is not a great idea. As I understand it, I don't think his wife is in the latter stages of cancer, nor do I think her life in in imminent peril. I could be wrong about this, if so someone can correct me. So if she has been battling cancer for a while and he wants to take time off to spend with her, I'm sure he could suck it up for one more night and actually wrestle a match and lose it to Anderson, or Hardy, or Styles, or whoever TNA decides is next in line. There's no reason to have an injury storyline whereby he gives up the title; have him lose it. And I do think it is a little selfish of him to take time off in this manner. At least have enough respect for the company to do what's best for them, put someone else over, and then take all the time off that you need.

Thank you for getting the point I was making. Perhaps I was a bit harsh in how I worded a few things pertaining to RVD, but regardless, the point is entirely valid. No one would blame RVD for taking time off and wanting to relinquish the title so he could go spend more time with his wife if she's struggling with cancer. That is entirely understandable. But please tell me what the point was of even having RVD as champion in the first place and giving him his however many months reign, if he wasn't going to be used as an established star to PUT OVER someone younger and less established who could get that rub? This entire reign seems pointless and selfish if some injury angle's going to be used for RVD to 'save face' and not have to be pinned and actually lose to someone for the title. How does that benefit anyone BUT RVD? How does that help establish anyone BUT RVD?

The tournament idea is fine, it could certainly allow the chance of whoever goes the distance and wins the title to gain some credibility in doing so (depending on how said champion is booked), but it still makes RVD's reign entirely pointless and still leaves RVD looking entirely strong and STILL the rightful champion to overshadow anyone who becomes the next champion because they didn't BEAT RVD for it. No one did. It's more TNA booking, really, which frustrates the hell out of me.

I hate to see RVD gone for awhile, but thank god I don't have to listen to perhaps the worst intro theme song ever!!! Really, how big of a no talent tool is the person that came up with that crap. That same tool who did all those WCW theme rip-offs.

Why it irritates me is...
if your wife is sick and you need a limited schedule, why would you come back to wrestling in the first place????

I think it was a selfish thing to do...
So waisting time having the belt on him when it could have been on someone who doesn't have any restrictions...

A wife battling Cancer is a pretty huge restriction and I just don't agree with him being in the wrestling world at all...His priorities belong at home with his wife.

Things happen all the time, and you never know when your last day is gonna be
Knowing she has a higher chance of not being here should make him want to be with her all that he can...not playing around in a wrestling ring

Gotta love how hard RVD has been working since coming to TNA. He came to TNA for the lighter schedule, yet he's working almost a WWE schedule right now. He's been the champ since April, and while he hasn't had the greatest run, it's definitely gotten better as it's gone along.

So with him taking time off soon, one has to assume he's going to drop the belt anytime now. Problem is, his next title defense is against Abyss. As much as I dislike Abyss, I feel like he's the next TNA Champ.

And no I don't think he'll vacate the title, I just think they'll have him drop the title in one of his defenses, like his next one against Abyss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back