• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rumoured Tag Team Revival - Who Should WWE Sign?

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
We've all heard the news by now that one of Triple H's radical ideas is to revive the tag division, that long-haired hippy! Oh, you didn't know... that? Here's the article, courtesy of Coco The Monkey:

- As noted before, The Baltimore Sun wrestling writer Kevin Eck has been hired by WWE for the creative team. Eck will be the person that works with Triple H on talent grooming that we have wrote about recently. Word is that Eck will start with WWE the day after SummerSlam.

- Triple H is serious on introducing new talents through vignettes and promos. It's also being said that Triple H is interested in reviving the WWE Tag Team division. Word is that they are really starting to recruit tag teams and see if some names are under contract to other promotions.

There has been talk internally about The Brisco Brothers but they are signed to Ring of Honor. There has also been a lot of talk about TNA's Beer Money and bringing them in once they are able to get away from TNA.

Regarding the Kings of Wrestling - Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli coming, the talk is that they will indeed be brought in together as a tag team and not singles wrestlers.

So the three biggest names bouncing around are:

• Beer Money
  • Kings of Wrestling
  • Briscoe Brothers

I poo pooed Beer Money earlier but I do have something of a connection to them. I mean, I saw them perform before they even had a team name. I even marked out to James Storm's theme music. In a way, I am their father.

Anybody got any to add?

I'd throw Max and Jeremy Buck on the table. They've just left TNA and, well, they're basically a much better version of The Hardy Boys. They don't have drug problems or obesity or anything.

Motor City Machine Guns seem like a neat idea, though I wouldn't protest to Alex Shelley coming on his lonesome. Isn't Sabin injured right now? I don't watch TNA.

Basically, my jist is, well, let's build a division out of old Ring of Honor and TNA teams. Sounds like a plan, right?

I would love to see the resurrection of the Tag division. Beer Money is great and I hope they do come to wwe. Briscoes are great and it would be interesting to see them. But if there was a tag team that i would i love to see in wwe is Motor city machine guns. that would be a great tag team to the wwe. and hope they bring back London and Kendrick. a feud with the Guns would be amazing.

Honestly, I don't want the Ring of Honor roster or tag team division scarped of all the talent. TNA may have this idea that they have the dominant tag team division in wrestling but they really don't, Ring of Honor does. When you can put on a Four-Way tag match like ROH did at Best in The World, there is no way you can't be considered the best tag team division.

This is all hypothetical though so, I'd like to see the All Night Express in there. Rhett Titus and Kenny King wouldn't be poor signings for WWE, they both have impressive looks, very good in-ring, Rhett is a personality and Kenny can do a pretty good promo. There needs to be an "Express" in mainstream wrestling once more.

Cliff Compton and ??. Cliff Compton is one of the men who CM Punk is heavily pushing for a WWE return, he was Domino in the team Deuce and Domino. No, I'm not saying that they should reform, but Domino as Cliff Compton is highly impressive. He has a great look and he used to get significant heel heat back in Ohio Valley. A possibility is to bring him and Colt Cabana in and place them together. They're both friends in real life.

Lá Resistance... Oh yeah. Rene Dupree and Sylvein Grenier. LR drew major hatred from the WWE Universe back when they came onto the block in '04. Both men are in different positions currently. Rene is in Japan but isn't contracted and Sylvein does commentary for TNA's French broadcast of Impact Wrestling but he also isn't contracted. Why not bring back two guys who drew huge heat simply to their anti-American rants? Both still very young also.

Jay Lethal... Xavier Woods... Lethal Woods... Okay, isn't as good as Lethal Consequences but TNA didn't do a great job at that team either. Jay Lethal just signed with Ring of Honor so this is for more "down the line" than right now, but once Consequences Creed or now known as Xavier Woods is brought up to WWE television, pairing him and Lethal together somewhere down the line would be interesting, simply to see how WWE use them as opposed to TNA.

Also, just to throw in a quick makeshift tag team, bringing together two young development workers. Rollins and Ambrose; Tyler Black and Jon Moxley. Why the hell not? I'm sure Black is being touted for the next season of NXT, but why waste him away when he could be brought into the tag team revival? These two have no past history so as I said, makeshift, but with the rumors Jimmy Jacobs worked a WWE dark match, an Age of The Fall reunion in WWE would make me cream my pants.

The Hardy Boyz?

Nah, didn't think so!

Rhodes and DiBiase have sort of moved back towards the Legacy thing recently, also Big Show and Kane re-teamed recently (and could do so to take their revenge on Mark Henry) so it is possible that the Tag Division could be filled with current roster guys too.

It would be good to see proper Tag matches every week, rather than just two guys thrown against another two guys to keep them all on TV for another week.

Robert Roode is signed to TNA through 2014 so Beer Money to WWE ain't happening. It's interesting that Roode's contract wasn't mentioned in the article but the Briscoes deal with ROH was. :disappointed: Beer Money to WWE rumors will be rampant on IWC for a while now despite their being no chance at all of it happening.

Lá Resistance... Oh yeah. Rene Dupree and Sylvein Grenier. LR drew major hatred from the WWE Universe back when they came onto the block in '04. Both men are in different positions currently. Rene is in Japan but isn't contracted and Sylvein does commentary for TNA's French broadcast of Impact Wrestling but he also isn't contracted. Why not bring back two guys who drew huge heat simply to their anti-American rants? Both still very young also.

I totally agree with The Dragon Saga here. I loved Lá Resistance. They ahd great chemistry together and got a lot of heat with the fans. Even though it was another Anti-America team, it still worked.

And I would love to see the Motor City Machineguns in the WWE. Not too sure when their contract is up, but they would do great in the WWE. They are kinda like Londrick, but better. But, it's biased since they are my favorite team in TNA. Still, it would be a great signing for the WWE.

Whatever happened with Lance Storm and Carlito?

Bringing Lance Storm back could be great. He was always one to be Anti-American and there's plenty of Canadians for him to pair up with. I wouldn't mind seeing him with Tyson Kidd or Christian again.

And Carlito? He could team up with Primo again. They brought some heat.

Generally speaking, the tag team scene has been the most consistently criticized aspect of WWE for a long time. It's almost universally agreed upon that the tag team division in WWE is nonexistent and hasn't been relevant for the better part of, at least, half a decade.

As far as Triple H putting some focus into the tag team picture, I've got no problems with it at all. It's generally been Vince McMahon's belief for a long time now that for a guy to be a star, he has to be a singles wrestler. There's some truth to that I think because, after all, who are the guys that we always talk about and remember fondly? Hogan, Sting, Bret Hart, The Undertaker, Ric Flair, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Macho Man Randy Savage, etc. While almost all of these guys also had a lot of title runs and success in the tag team scene, they're primarily known for what they've done as singles stars. When it comes to great tag teams of the past, the ones I see talked about the most are the Road Warriors, The Dudleys, The Hardys and, occassionally, the Rock 'N' Roll Express & Midnight Express. These were teams that were popular and legit stars during a time when tag team wrestling really mattered not just in one or two companies here and there but in wrestling promotions all over the world.

As for who WWE should sign, it's all but written in stone that the Kings of Wrestling will be there before too long. If, and I do mean IF, the WWE has an opportunity to sign Beer Money, I say go for it. They're the overall best team TNA has had in a very long time. If they're able to sign the MCMGs, they'd be a boon to the tag team scene.

I'm rather surprised by the noticable lack of "they won't be used right in the WWE" posts. I'm sure they'll be along anytime now.

Come on BROSKIS what about Curt Hawkins and Zack Ryder!
Well they wouldnt be contenders for the title but what about comedy tag team similar to Kozlov and Santino (Dont know how they became champs :disappointed:

They became champs because there were literally no other tag teams in WWE.

I do agree about Hawkins/Ryder, though. With Ryder's booming fame compared to when they were with Edge, Ryder could very well lift them to a title. You probably don't even have to give Hawkins a true character for the team to be successful.

For the moment, would it not make more sense to make teams out of current WWE talent? I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there are a few guys that are just kicking around Superstars waiting for something to do. For example, Curt Hawkins and Trent Barreta who people want to see more of. Well making them a team and putting them in the thick of the division might give them more exposure. Some more teams that could be made from current stars:
Jinder Mahal - Great Khali
Evan Bourne - Justin Gabriel
Kane - Big Show
Tyler Reks - Tyson Kidd

Those are just some suggestions out of the guys they have and aren't using too much right now. I'm sure they also have some FCW guys ready to come up. Also, NXT is almost done and usually more than just the winner goes on to be featured on the main roster(i.e. A-Ry). Darren Young, Derrick Bateman and Titus O'Neil will all probably see time on the big roster at some point soon. Point is, there's alot of talent within WWE waiting to be used. I could see maybe signing Gen. Me because they are currently out of work, but other than that, it seems like good business to use guys you are already paying.

WWE could have the best tag team division down the road. they have a couple of teams at the moment and it does look like they are looking to revive it. let see who they could have as a tag division...

The Uso's- they are pretty good. The have a good in ring ability and that whole war dance thing is a cool gimmick for them.

Otunga and McGuillitty- They are the tag team champs and they are still green but getting better as they move along.

Mahal and Khali- Although khali sucks i do see a bright future for Mahal.

The Kings of Wrestling- They have stated that they are coming straight to the main roster and skipping developmental. This is one of the best tag teams in the world today and this team can really establish the tag division in the WWE.

The Hart Dynasty- Its a shame that the released DH. This team in my opnion was one of the best teams WWE had in a very long time. I say rehire DH and make them a team again.

The Briscoes- They are one of the best tag teams in the world. I would love to see them in the WWE but it will probably never happen.

The Young Bucks- They were recently releases from TNA and the stated in a recent interview "Never say never" When it comes to signing with the WWE. Another amazing tag team.

Beer Money- If the rumers are true and Hunter is looking to acquire them thats great. I love these guys they are young and probably my second favorite tag team next to MCMG. Although I love them i still want to see Bobby Roode as a singles main eventer.

Motor City Machine Guns- It will probably never happen but they are the best and most exciting tag team in the world today.

Justin Gabriel and Evan Bourne- If we cant have the MCMG i think these 2 are just as close. I think we can see some pretty interesting things if we pair these 2 up.

There you have it. A possible WWE tag team division one day. In my opinion this is the best tag division a have probably ever seen.

good to see wwe wanting to make the tag division alot better and im glad the kings of wrestling will stay a team in wwe and it would be intersting to see the brisco brothers in wwe as there good wrestlers but i think they need work on their promos a bit but as far as beer money goes i dont wanna see them leave tna it would be a huge blow to them if it happened but if triple h & vince are looking for old tna or roh teams to bring in to wwe why not bring in generation me? max and jeremy buck are a pretty good team and there fun to watch in a match plus maybe they could finally win some big time tag team gold? :shrug: i know someone else said bring in the guns but i dont see them wanting to leave tna same with brian kendrick as the same person said bring back london & kendrick plus i belive paul london got fired because of people backstage not liking him or something like that....another team id like to see wwe bring in is the worlds greatest tag team bring them back although i dont think they wanna go back but who knows? carlito could also be brought back to team up with his brother primo again

WWE could easily make a couple tag teams today. Put Hawkins and Ryder back together. Throw Swagger in a team since they're gonna waste his talent.

Kings of Wrestling could possibly be the beginning of the Tag team revival. They're a great duo and have the WWE look.(Hero 6'5 225lb, Castagnoli 6'5 222lb)

In my opinion, the only way WWE could make the tag team division better is by signing about 5 tag teams.And they're only about two on the market right now. Kings of Wrestling and The Young Bucks.

Jericholic-Sorry to break the news to you, but Lance Cade like a year ago.RIP

Young Hollywood! Anyone know those guys? Interesting, but simple, gimmick of two young Cali hotshots. Both are dynamic and good on the mic.

Here's an awesome match they put together against the Rockness Monsters at an NWA Taping.

[youtube]09gFT_9-dgE[/youtube]

Hmm well if they are going to pair current superstars..
Curt Hawkins and Zack Ryder as a face team, I feel like they can realy go over, and Ryder's starting to get really popular, a tag team run can boost up his career, AND itl get Hawkins on TV which he deserves to be and I think a lot of internet fans would like to see him.

Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel - I fear that they wnt be used as much unless they are a team. They worked well together and had some chemistry, and their history from debuting with the Nexus is a good reason to pair them up (again).

Usos - The only legitimate tag team, they are talented. Keep them face and give them title runs.

Hennig and Otunga- Tag champs right now, are getting better at working together, but i dnt see them as a tag team. They dnt go well together IMO. Hennig and Husky made much more sense to me.

Cody Rhodes and Ted Dibiase - Will give Ted something to do, but Cody Rhodes is in a great spot right now.

Great Khali and Jinder Mahal- Meh.

Some teams you can bring back..

The Colons - U have 1 half of them in WWE, and released the better half. Bring Carlito back, they had something going on.

Dudebusters - Releasing Caylen Croft was pointless. They were flashy and exciting and can get over well as a face tag team.

Hart Dynasty - Has to be a heel tag team. Breaking them up and releasing Smith was just pointless. Good one Johnny Ace. Bring Smith back and get these two on TV and keep them a top team because they were fun to watch.

Cryme Tyme - JTG is heel now?? Bring back Shad and make these two a heel team that causes CRYME. Thatd be fun to watch.

Sign Generation Me. If you want to build up the tag division, sign these guys. They can be the Hardyz of this decade, but more promising.

The young bucks suck don't bring them in WWE.

Kings of Wrestling...definitely. I think they have the ability to raise the tag division almost on their own.

Beer Money would be great for WWE, but I don't want them to leave TNA.

Haas and Benjamin would be a great addition.

I think Kingston and Gabriel would be a nice tag team. Both from Africa and both high flyers.

Keep the USO's.

I would really like to see Kidd in a tag team. But, he needs someone with a little more charisma to carry the interview. Maybe a Jack Swagger and Tyson Kidd pairing would work. Can-Am Revival.

R-Truth and JTG???

Morrison and Mercury, they had a great run as tag champs. I could see them coming back.

Well this is good news and Im glad HHH wants to revive the Tag Team scene in the WWE.

Usos-Already there and may be Tag Champs soon

Otunga/Mcgillicutty-Current Tag Champions and are getting better

World's Greatest Tag Team-wouldn't mind seeing them back in the WWE

Beer Money-Please Sign these guys,one of the few bright spots about TNA IMO.

Kings of Wrestling-I have heard rumors of them coming in.

Young Bucks-Wasn't too impressed with their run in TNA from what I saw but as someone said they could be the Hardy Boyz of this generation.

Great Khali/Jindar Mahal-Could be a Top Heel Team and built up as monsters

Cody Rhodes & Ted Dibiase-Have reunited recently and could do their Legacy bit once again.

I also think Justin Gabriel,Tyson Kidd,and JTG could find more sucess in the New Tag Division.

I like to see them do a season of NXT with tag teams. And if they lose their belts after Wrestlemania, I would still like to see John Cena and Randy Orton team up. I would like to see Evan Bourne in a tag time, either with a strength guy like Alex Riley, or join up with Justin Gabriel.

It looks as if the Miz and R-Truth might be heading towards a team-up.

Kings of Wrestling will be very good in WWE, especially if HHH is serious about reviving the tag team division. A few others I would love to see, even if it's fantasy.
-Brisco Bros: I love their work in ROH. A very aggressive team and I think with someone to go over their matches with them and give them some direction they can be even better.
-All Night Express: Titus and King are finally starting to get respect in ROH, even though they have impressed me for a long time. Great fast paced team.
-Beer Money: Robert Roode has the look of a singles superstar, and James Storm is a great partner for him. IF they came in and the eventual split happened, Storm could just as easily join with someone else and get them over huge, like he did after AMW broke up and he picked up Roode.
-WGTT: I would LOVE to see Haas and Benjamin back in WWE again. Imagine a Tag Team TLC match with them/Briscos/KOW...That would be soo sick.
-The Young Bucks: Just because they are great in the ring, but I don't see WWE using the type of style they do very well.
-MCMG: My favorite tag team going right now, just because I'm a big Alex Shelly mark. They look alike, they have a chemistry that is amazing, and make their opponents look that much better in the ring.

I would NOT of gotten rid of DH Smith and I would of reformed the Hart Dynasty. I would also put Ryder and Hawkins back together and make Ryder the breakout star from the group. If they are serious about it, there are alot of guys in developmental that can be combined like Husky Harris and his brother and bring Ted DiBiase's brother up as well.. Lots of potential.

I'm curious about something... I'm seeing some "random pairings" of people, but it seems like that gets blasted a lot on the internet...

So what makes it right when we do it, but not when the WWE throws two people together.

Besides, a new team has to start somewhere... Maybe a random pairing could do it.

The.Nasty Boys: Legendary tag team still active and working the Indys. They should get one last run in the WWE along with a Hall of Fame Induction.
The Spirit Squad: Have Dolph Ziggler change back to his old gimmick as Nicky the Cheerleader. Bring back all five original members of the Squad.
Billy and Chuck: Chuck Palumbo and Billy Gun are both free agents so why not bring em back. They were part of history on television when they had the first gay marriage on TV.

Beer Money comes to mind and MCMG apart from them I can't really think of any other teams that are fresh to WWE that stand out. I'd probably say Haas/Shelton or before he was released Harry Smith/Tyson Kidd (now repackage Kidd with say someone)

WWE has the talent but tag team wrestling has taken a dive in the last 8 years, 2002 was the last time I can remember GREAT tag matches and that was between Eddie/Chavo/Angle/Benoit/Edge and Rey.

I think Kofi Kingston & Ezekial Jackson and Wade Barrett & Drew McIntyre would make for interesting teams. Even your top singles wrestlers like Cena and Orton could have regular partners like Sting & Luger, Dusty & whoever, the Horsemen. Those guys were always in the hunt for singles and tag titles. There's so much they could do with a real tag team division that I hope this is a serious idea that they run with and stay patient with.

I see no need to sign many tag teams, one or two will be enough, because right now there are many teams that WWE can put together or they already have.

The Usos - Great team, over with the crowd and work well together.

Hennig and Otounga - Current tag champs, they're getting a lot better and are working together better. They've ditched the whole Nexus thing and can now focus on being a real team.

Mahal and Khali - Makes sense, can't see one of them doing that good on their own. It would also mean Khali wouldn't have to be in the ring as much so that's always a positive.

Hawkins and Barretta/Ryder - Hawkins is a very talented wrestler but I can only see him being successful in a tag team. If you put him with Ryder it would make sense because they were in a team before but it may hold Ryder back. You could put him with Barretta as neither men are doing anything and they both are talented.

Then there's four tag teams all you have to do is get the Kings Of Wrestling and The Briscoe Brothers and you'll have a decent tag division.

Not much to add here, but... ya gotta set up a tag team with Zack Ryder and William Regal... so much you could do with that duo in promos and with Ryder's 'assistant' position as Smackdown...

Ryder/Regal = Winning Combo

They don't need to sign any teams. Just use what they have on the main roster and down in FCW. Here's who I would use.
Otunga & McGuillicutty-current champs work well together & cover up each others greenness

Uso's- very good teamwork & should be champs soon

Ryder/Hawkins/Barretta- put them all together and use them like Freebirds were any combo can team up

Mahal & Khali- big monster team or bring in Davari and use Khali as their bodyguard

JTG & Xavier Woods- new version of Cryme Tyme with 2 guys who can wrestle unlike Shad

Primo & Tito Colon- basiclly Carlito & Primo but with their cousin his in FCW now

South Beach Boys- Percy Watson & Darren Young. They teamed up in FCW before NXT came about. Would make a fun face team

Rotunda Bros.- Husky Harris & his brother Bo. Use there real last name and pay homage to their roots. Sons of Mike Rotunda(IRS) grandsons of Blackjack Mulligan nephews of Barry Whindam.

Kings of Wrestling- newly sign team from ROH. hopefully WWE use them well and don't burry them.

There are 9 teams that could be put together with very little work just quick little backstory on how they know each other. If Triple H is serious about reforming the Tag division then he should use the Late 80's/early 90's as an example. They had a ton of teams then and it was set up just like the singles division with the top teams midcard teams who occasionally got shot at title and jobber teams like the Bushwackers who the fans loved but were never really a threat to win the titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back