• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rugby League 2008 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough I suppose.

I support the Sydney Roosters because back in the day of the North Sydney Bears, Easts were my second favorite team because of Brad Fittler - A Rugby League great, he was my idol. Once the Bears merged with the Sea Eagles I stopped supporting them. The Bears were a strong team and were an unbeatable force, I truly admired their team and how they played as a team0.

Brad Fittler is indeed a great coach, you can tell my watching them play what he's done for the team. He's a lot better than Chris Anderson (I think that was his name?) all I remember him for his being a pretty awful coach. I used to think of Roosters as a team we could go to and get an easy win, and when he was coach that happened, however Fittler really has turned that around.

With Wigan, well. I just like the name of the Wigan Warriors :p BUT there's one team I've grown to liken is the Warrington Wolves. Adrian Morley is a beast! Do you like the Wolves?

Warrington are a very good team, great international players, great coach yet they have something missing. And that something is stopping them being the world class team they have the potential of being. when they find that they'll be a force to be reckoned with.

If you want classic, brilliant rugby league, try watching a Leeds Rhinos game, you'll be surprised how good they are, most Austrailians believe the best teams are in the NRL but I think Leeds give them a run for their money. Their attack and defence is second to none, and they play for a full 80, which can't be said for many other teams.

Brad Fittler is indeed a great coach, you can tell my watching them play what he's done for the team. He's a lot better than Chris Anderson (I think that was his name?) all I remember him for his being a pretty awful coach. I used to think of Roosters as a team we could go to and get an easy win, and when he was coach that happened, however Fittler really has turned that around.

Oh yes! Freddie is the next super coach. I'm so proud on being a Roosters supporter. Without Fittler I'd be a lost supporter of Rugby League. Anderson, yeah he was pathetic when he coached us last year. But I think he can only coach a team full of great players, instead of coaching young players or average players and trying to develop these players into better players. If you know what I mean :p Fittler's done an awesome job on Anasta's playmaking ability and improved young Pearce's kicking game. Gotta love Freddie :)

Warrington are a very good team, great international players, great coach yet they have something missing. And that something is stopping them being the world class team they have the potential of being. when they find that they'll be a force to be reckoned with.

If you want classic, brilliant rugby league, try watching a Leeds Rhinos game, you'll be surprised how good they are, most Austrailians believe the best teams are in the NRL but I think Leeds give them a run for their money. Their attack and defence is second to none, and they play for a full 80, which can't be said for many other teams.

I hardly get to see any of the ESL because mother decided to cancel the Sports channels on our Foxtel (Pay TV).

Lol yeah I'm one of those people who think that we have the far better teams than the ESL only a selected few of teams such as the Broncos, Storm and the Roosters. However, I do agree on Leeds would easily contest a spot in the NRL top 4 if they were ever to play a season of NRL :)p won't happen for obvious reasons)

It's awesome to finally discussing Rugby League with a girl. (Assuming you're a girl from your profile lol)

I go on a particular forum and it's just full of dudes talking League, gets boring with just guys talking League. Need variety haha

Yeah I'm a girl lol. You don't get many big Rugby League supporters that are girls so I'm used to discussing it with guys. But I don't mind, I mean I'm on a wrestling forum it's not like I expect their to be many girls. I've always got on better with guys anyway due to my love of sports. I even play Rugby League so I'm not exactly a girly girl lol.

Yeah Leeds would definately be near the top, if in some parallel universe they played in the NRL. I won;t be stupid enough to say they would be top as the NRL have some great sides, who would be so much more used to playing in the Australian league and conditions. Those would be a big factor in the league table. However Leeds are World Club Champions so that must hold for something, however with that you also have to take into account the home advantage.

It'd be interesting to see Leeds play in the NRL for a season, as much as I know it'll never happen. But it'd definately strengthen the team, english players go over to Australia for a reason. Just recently Richard Mathers returned from a couple of seasons with Gold Coast Titans, and his game has improved drastically. People are right to say the NRL is the best leaguein the world, however they have to be careful as Super League is catching up amazingly fast.

Aww you play League! What position are you? I used to play when I was younger I quit the game. I'm more of a touch footy player.

I think just under 10 years ago that the NRL and ESL had a competition. I don't think the fans loved it too much. Although I think the competition didn't even gain a profit from it, lost over 5million dollars.. not sure

I really hope the ESL improves to the NRL standard very soon, it will though I know, I just want it to happen as of right now:p The competition between the two nations would be huge!

Aww you play League! What position are you? I used to play when I was younger I quit the game. I'm more of a touch footy player.

I play Scrum half. Have done for about 6 years now. I just love it. I played at half time of the Leeds Vs Wigan game a couple of years ago and it was one of the best things I've ever done. I love being on the pitch, and doing something that I pay to watch other people do.

I think just under 10 years ago that the NRL and ESL had a competition. I don't think the fans loved it too much. Although I think the competition didn't even gain a profit from it, lost over 5million dollars.

Ouch. I don't remember that, but I would have only been 6 at the time. Aw got my first season ticket then. Good memories. I'm not sure if that would work out now, I think fans are happy with the World Club Challenge. However to make that faired they do either need to play at a neutral ground, or to swap between Australia and England each year. The problem with playing at a neutral ground, not in England or Australia is that less people would go, therefore the RFL would lose money.

What's good though is the Millenium Magic weekend, not sure if you've heard of it?

I play Scrum half. Have done for about 6 years now. I just love it. I played at half time of the Leeds Vs Wigan game a couple of years ago and it was one of the best things I've ever done. I love being on the pitch, and doing something that I pay to watch other people do.

You play halfback, that's awesome. Do you love the feel of directing the game and telling your forwards what to do and whatnot?

Haha when I play Touch I love being first receiver for a bit, try to make something happen, I rarely make a gun play. I'm not too good and being a half :p

Ouch. I don't remember that, but I would have only been 6 at the time. Aw got my first season ticket then. Good memories. I'm not sure if that would work out now, I think fans are happy with the World Club Challenge. However to make that faired they do either need to play at a neutral ground, or to swap between Australia and England each year. The problem with playing at a neutral ground, not in England or Australia is that less people would go, therefore the RFL would lose money.

Yeah I agree how they should change it up each year - one game in Australia one year, the next in England and so forth. The Broncos beat Hunter in that tournament ftr :p

What's good though is the Millenium Magic weekend, not sure if you've heard of it?

Haven't heard of that before, what's it about? lol

You play halfback, that's awesome. Do you love the feel of directing the game and telling your forwards what to do and whatnot?

Yeah, completely love it. Plus, being captain, that's kind of my job anyway. but I've always loved playing at half back, Rob Burrow is a real inspiration to me at the moment, as is Sean Long even though I dislike the team he plays for. I love watching the backs and picking things up, seeing how they direct a game and such.

Haha when I play Touch I love being first receiver for a bit, try to make something happen, I rarely make a gun play. I'm not too good and being a half :p

Yeah, at the end of the day that's what it's all about. A good player always has that in mind, and creating something special out of nothing is always a great feat.

Yeah I agree how they should change it up each year - one game in Australia one year, the next in England and so forth. The Broncos beat Hunter in that tournament ftr :p

Haha, yeah they should play in Aussie next year, I'd love an excuse to go over :p. The thing is, usually the English team wins, and sometimes they deserve being crowned champions of the world, other times not so much. But I don't like it when people put a ESL sides win down to home advantage as it isn't always the case, so having it home and away in different years should give a better view of the best competitions.

Haven't heard of that before, what's it about? lol

It's a really good idea, it happened just this weekend actually. A whole round of Super League, so 6 games, are played at the Millenium Stadium in Wales. Fans from every team make a weekend out of it, as they have 3 games on the Saturday and 3 on the Sunday, always derby games as well. If you buy a ticket for one team, you get the other 2 games that day for free. It's a really good way to promote RL down there. And I love the game due to the fact I was talking to some Bradford fans throughout, and there wasn't a slightest bit of bad feeling towards each other, just classic banter, instead of at football where you need police to separate the fans. It really is nothing like that there, I had fans of every team surrounding me laughing and talking.

Yeah, completely love it. Plus, being captain, that's kind of my job anyway. but I've always loved playing at half back, Rob Burrow is a real inspiration to me at the moment, as is Sean Long even though I dislike the team he plays for. I love watching the backs and picking things up, seeing how they direct a game and such.

That's mad! You should try and get a video or something and upload it to youtube. That'd be pretty neat for sure. Do you play any Rep footy?

Haha, yeah they should play in Aussie next year, I'd love an excuse to go over :p. The thing is, usually the English team wins, and sometimes they deserve being crowned champions of the world, other times not so much. But I don't like it when people put a ESL sides win down to home advantage as it isn't always the case, so having it home and away in different years should give a better view of the best competitions.

Haha mostly our fans say it isn't about the home field advantage they just reckon our teams don't give a rats arse about the WCC at all and that the players make a holiday out of it. I sometimes reckon that's just bullshit. Look at the Roosters in 03 and the Broncos in 01 also Storm in 00, or I think it was in 99 that year. The teams that have lost to the English team's just got simply got out played and dominated.

It's a really good idea, it happened just this weekend actually. A whole round of Super League, so 6 games, are played at the Millenium Stadium in Wales. Fans from every team make a weekend out of it, as they have 3 games on the Saturday and 3 on the Sunday, always derby games as well. If you buy a ticket for one team, you get the other 2 games that day for free. It's a really good way to promote RL down there. And I love the game due to the fact I was talking to some Bradford fans throughout, and there wasn't a slightest bit of bad feeling towards each other, just classic banter, instead of at football where you need police to separate the fans. It really is nothing like that there, I had fans of every team surrounding me laughing and talking.

Oh that sounds interesting. Basically like a triple header on the Saturday and Sunday. That'd be alright to drink up and get drunk at with the mates haha :p

Anyway I'm off to bed, it's late over here. Been awesome to chat with ya. I'll stay online for your reply. Bye

That's mad! You should try and get a video or something and upload it to youtube. That'd be pretty neat for sure. Do you play any Rep footy?

Haha if someone ever filmed us playing I'd put it on youtube for you. During the game I'm too busy playing to think about that though lol.
And nah never played Rep footy, it's something I'd look into though if the chance came up. But at the moment I'm just happy playing rugby for Leeds.

Haha mostly our fans say it isn't about the home field advantage they just reckon our teams don't give a rats arse about the WCC at all and that the players make a holiday out of it. I sometimes reckon that's just bullshit. Look at the Roosters in 03 and the Broncos in 01 also Storm in 00, or I think it was in 99 that year. The teams that have lost to the English team's just got simply got out played and dominated.

Haha, wow. I've never heard that as an excuse before. Well I'd make a holiday out of it as well, seeings as they won't have to pay for any of the flights or hotel. But I agree with you, it's rubbish. The Australians come over here looking for a win, a WCC is a great achievement and I doubt any coach encourages players to not care about it.

Oh that sounds interesting. Basically like a triple header on the Saturday and Sunday. That'd be alright to drink up and get drunk at with the mates haha :p

Haha yep, however I'm only 16 and a good girl..(Okay that's a lie, but shh).

Anyway I'm off to bed, it's late over here. Been awesome to chat with ya. I'll stay online for your reply. Bye

Aw bless, forgot it was so late over there. Yeah, hopefully carry on when you're next online.
Night.xo

So I have to defend the Kiwis here. Last yeah the Coach was shit. This year we have a coach that is fighting for the International Game. Well Kearney is going to raise New Zealand back to the days of Kevin Tamati and the beating the absolute snot out of the Aussie. It is about time that the International Rugby League body did what they have done now. Both British and Australian clubs have strived to keep the Kiwis down. Not releasing the Kiwi players to play internationals but letting members of their own country go for International duty.

NZ are making a huge mistake IMO in asking us for Leuluai, he's had 1 good game this year, and has been average the rest of the time. If they are so desperate for a Scrum Half that he's their man, they need help.

Sunday was a painful experience. And hopefully Nobby will kick the players into action, or we could plummet.

I seriously hope New Zealand go close on beating us this Friday night. I can't stand Greg Bird being at 5/8th he is deadset not a 5/8th more of a ball runner, no playmaking abilities whatsoever and therefore he should be playing lock. I feel that Prince should have came into the side, pushing Thurston to 5/8th and leaving Prince at halfback or even Anasta should have replaced Lockyer's position as Bird has yet to play a full 80mins this season as a five-eighth and both Prince and Anasta have been the form halves of the season so far.

New Zealand should go close to winning with the addition of Wayne Bennett assisting them. He's a great coach, he would know the Australian side better than anyone else bar Ricky Stuart of course so it would be obvious Bennett would be giving Kiwis an inside on how they would play and what they need to do to prevent us on making a massive line break to scoring a try on the Kiwis goal line.

NZ are making a huge mistake IMO in asking us for Leuluai, he's had 1 good game this year, and has been average the rest of the time. If they are so desperate for a Scrum Half that he's their man, they need help.

Sunday was a painful experience. And hopefully Nobby will kick the players into action, or we could plummet.

The Wigan Vs Saints game was indeed a complete shocker. Where's that Wigan we saw a few weeks back? If they continue with performances like that then you have no shot at the title race. Noble needs to kick them into shapr and fast. It was one of the worse I've seen Wigan play since their relegation scare a few weeks back.

As for the international, I don't know too much about it as Great Britain aren't involved at all. I know Brent Webb, the Leeds full back along with Leuluai from Wigan have been forced to play. Well I say forced, because the RIFL have said they must go play or they cannot play for their super league clubs for 5 days surrounding the game. However I don't know what the views of the players were. And in comeplete honesty, I think it should have beenthe players choice in whether they wanted to play in the Challenge cup for their club, or the friendly for their country.

Omg its great to finally see people talking about Rugby League, as i regard it as one of the best sports in the world. Flash im glad ur a roosters supporter, cause i am one as well i have been following the Sydney Roosters for nearly 12 years and im 16 years old, lol. But yeh i love the NRL, just the competitvness of it, gets me fired up.

To HBK-Aholic, i cant believe it, finally a lady talking about Rugby League, your great, well done! Im also glad to here that the English Super League is getting better and better because The NRL has been the best for a while now.

Just on the World Club Challenge, i gotta disagree, the matter of the fact is Champions from the NRL tend to take the trip as a holiday and didnt really take it as a serious championship game. Sad really, cause i think the NRL teams would win most of the time but it doesnt end up like that cause we dont take it seriously and you guys do, with only the few exceptions being the Roosters, yay, and the Broncos.

Flash i also support Wigan in the ESL, geez we really have the same taste when it comes to teams! The problem is i dont get too see much ESL, but when i do im getting impressed more and more, but NRL is still miles ahead in my opinion.

Well i dont know if youse have heard, but many NRL clubs are in trouble finacially for a number of reasons, one being the poker machine tax and the other one is the ESL are just taking all the good stars of our game and it has to be stopped. The NRL is suffering from the loss of money and the reduced salary cap that the ESL are taking advanatge of and stealing quality players, its getting real serious now. Players such as Sonny Bill and Mark Gasinear are leaving cause simply there is not enough money to keep them in Australia. Not only that but teams like Souths are in trouble cos of this poker machine tax and competiton from the AFL, something must be done, if the game is to survive.

Anyway, just happy to see people and especially a lady!!! talking about this great game, is so fantastic and the great thing is the Roosters are first now!!! Thats right, were going great guns now and Brad Fittler is proving to be a great influence on the players, i just hope we keep it up. Anyway, there my thoughs, untill next time

GO THE ROOSTERS!!!!

Omg its great to finally see people talking about Rugby League, as i regard it as one of the best sports in the world. Flash im glad ur a roosters supporter, cause i am one as well i have been following the Sydney Roosters for nearly 12 years and im 16 years old, lol. But yeh i love the NRL, just the competitvness of it, gets me fired up.

Another Sydney Roosters fan, eh? I'm a Manly fan myself :)

To HBK-Aholic, i cant believe it, finally a lady talking about Rugby League, your great, well done! Im also glad to here that the English Super League is getting better and better because The NRL has been the best for a while now.

Yeah. It's definately going to be giving the NRL a run for it's money any time soon. You should try watch a few games and I think you'd agree. Try one with the Leeds Rhinos in it for classic Rugby League as well as something special added.

Flash i also support Wigan in the ESL, geez we really have the same taste when it comes to teams! The problem is i dont get too see much ESL, but when i do im getting impressed more and more, but NRL is still miles ahead in my opinion.

No no no. I hate Wigan lol. Support Leeds! Wigan are the best team when you look at what they've done back in the day. However now watching the Super League the competition is taken over by the Leeds Rhinos and St Helens. Watching a game from either of these teams makes Rugby League seem an amazing game, which it is. Wigan are playing okay at the moment, but they're not at their best. Both Wigan and Saints have form issues, where they can play great one week, then awfully the next.

Anyway, just happy to see people and especially a lady!!! talking about this great game, is so fantastic and the great thing is the Roosters are first now!!! Thats right, were going great guns now and Brad Fittler is proving to be a great influence on the players, i just hope we keep it up. Anyway, there my thoughs, untill next time

GO THE ROOSTERS!!!!

You really do remind me of Flash lol. But yeah, I thought there needed to be a tghread of this sport, seeings as it's one of the best in the world. Most don't agree on here seeings as the majority are American, but it's always good to see RL supporters. Even if it is Wigan..

Another Sydney Roosters fan, eh? I'm a Manly fan myself :)

No no no. I hate Wigan lol Support Leeds! Wigan are the best team when you look at what they've done back in the day. However now watching the Super League the competition is taken over by the Leeds Rhinos and St Helens. Watching a game from either of these teams makes Rugby League seem an amazing game, which it is. Wigan are playing okay at the moment, but they're not at their best. Both Wigan and Saints have form issues, where they can play great one week, then awfully the next...

lol What is wrong with Wigan? And its funny because i go for Wigan the team you hate in the ESL and you support Manly, the Team i absoultely, HATE in the NRL!! :smashfreakB: Hate is not the word actually, i can not stand manly, there are just a team that annoys me alot. There one of the most hated teams mostly because of what they did 30 years ago when they bought all the good players off good teams to become sucessful. Manly, is a big NO NO NO!!!

Another Problem with Manly is they think there so good, but when they play against the good high quality teams they struggle or they play them were there at an advantage, like when they play the Roosters, The Roosters will be without there State Of Origin Stars and that annoys me especially against Manly!!! lol, therefore they always win. And they have selfish players, i can go on and on, but ill stop there lol

The world is just jealous of Wigan, we are the most successful team on either side of the globe, as well as being the only British team to win the world club championship in Australia.

And we're going to beat Leeds this week, they just can't beat us at Headingly.

Jealous of Wigan? Lmao If my team played like Wigan has this season I'd be ashamed. Wigan need to find form, and quickly. The rest of the Super League still remembers the relegation scare Wigan had not long ago.

Wigan are very much like St Helens this season, when they play good, they're great. But they cannot maintain that form. They need to get some regularity in there, or trhat's it for their wishes of going to Old Trafford.

As for Saturday, it's going to be a shame to knowck Wigan out so early, but hey, what's got to be done has got to be done.

Since when has the Quarter Finals been early? :smashfreakB:

It'll be a close game though, if we show up like we did at Warrington in the 2nd half and against leeds earlier this season, we can win, otherwise it'll go Leeds' way.

Leeds Rhinos 23 - Wigan Warriors 16.

We're on the road to Wembley. What a brillaint game of Rugby League. Seriously, loved every minute of this. Between no other teams can you see such classic rugby league skill being shown, as well as complete originality. Hats off to both teams for a brilliant game.

The atmosphere was electric, and with 10 minutes to go I thought I was going to be sick with nerves. This was one for the ages, and fans that didn't go are going to be upset they missed it. I love Rugby league fans, no fighting whatsoever even in such a heated game. Instead, I was having a banter with 2 guys from Wigan at the beginning and end of the game. It was great this was.

Oh, and to the referee
1) If there's 2 people in the tackle and the ball is stolen, you cannot award a try.
2) When the other team touches the ball but the first team gets it back, the tackle count goes to 0.
Got it?

And we're going to beat Leeds this week, they just can't beat us at Headingly.

And to this post..HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In response to point 1, I asume you mean the Calderwood try. The winger didn't have full control, so technically, there was no tackle and advantage goes to the attacking team.

Silverwood gifted Leeds the game. If you have Sky _, I seriously suggest you go to about the 54 minute mark. He can be heard asking Klein if he should award Leeds more penalties as he's lost count.

Overall, the best team lost, we just didn't have the finishing ability, if Carmont played inside Calderwood, we'd have been much better. I've even had Saints fans saying this.

Final point, you got owned by Feka's 50m run. xD

In response to point 1, I asume you mean the Calderwood try. The winger didn't have full control, so technically, there was no tackle and advantage goes to the attacking team.

There were 2 people in the tackle when the ball was taken. That's a ball steal and it shouldn't have been awarded.

Silverwood gifted Leeds the game. If you have Sky _, I seriously suggest you go to about the 54 minute mark. He can be heard asking Klein if he should award Leeds more penalties as he's lost count.

Silverwood was both biased and not at the same time. He was biased to Wigan for half, Leeds the other. But he needs to sort his refereeing out because what he penalised Wigan for, he didn't Leeds, and vice versa.

Overall, the best team lost, we just didn't have the finishing ability, if Carmont played inside Calderwood, we'd have been much better. I've even had Saints fans saying this.

The best team won, no doubt about it. Both teams played great, but Leeds took their chances better. Leeds deserved the win.

Final point, you got owned by Feka's 50m run. xD

*Cough* Rob Burrow's *Cough*

Well guys im glad you guys over their in England supporting the Super League are having fun with ONE exciting game, cause over here in Australia we have just had a awsome round of Rugby League with so many close finishers!

Well on Friday it was the Broncos Vs Eels and it was a great game! Back and forth action, with Eels getting into a comftable lead, then the Broncos coming back, then Eels with 7 minutes to go score 2 quick fantastic tries to level the game.... and then with the hooter sounding in the background to signify the end of the game the Broncos score off a chip kick to the winger and he sprinted 40 meters outsprinting 4 guys near the sideline to score and snatch the last second victory with time up! It doesnt end there though.

Cowboys Vs Penrith is 18-14 with Penrith leading and 30 secs to go. Cowboys go over but the try is disallowed, but they managed to get the ball back and score with 10 secs to go to make it 18-18! It then goes into extra time and with 1 minute to go Penrith just win with a field goal that hit the crossbar!

Then theres the Warriors V Knights. Warriors leading 16-4 with 15 minutes to go and the Knights score 2 tries in 5 minutes to make it 16-16 with 5 mins to go. Warriors then get a penalty with 2 mins to go to win the game 18-16!!

Those were 3 great games all decided in the last minutes and all in one round! and there is still one game to go with my team the Roosters needing to win to go top of the ladder. What a round, and this proves NRL is still top and better than the Super League. HBK-Aholic prove us wrong!

Well guys im glad you guys over their in England supporting the Super League are having fun with ONE exciting game, cause over here in Australia we have just had a awsome round of Rugby League with so many close finishers!

It was the Challenge Cup quarter finals, meaning there weren't as many games as usual, and yesterday only one game was played, that being the Leeds and Wigan game. Which I have to say will be hard to beat in terms of standards.

Those were 3 great games all decided in the last minutes and all in one round! and there is still one game to go with my team the Roosters needing to win to go top of the ladder. What a round, and this proves NRL is still top and better than the Super League. HBK-Aholic prove us wrong!

As I said, it wasn't the Super League this week. But Leeds and Wigan would both be rated extremely highly in the NRL with the perfomrances, Leeds especially, have each week. The ESL is so competitive right now, everyone is feeling it. Bottom beats top, Second team finished last not long ago, there'a a 1 point difference in the top 6, with at least 6 teams not sure on whether they will finish at the top half. Points difference means everything this season and it shows just how close this competition is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back