• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rugby League 2008 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
The things about the Super League that I am not exactly fond of, to be honest, are as follows:

The fact that defence does not seem evident as a priority of any team. You get scores like 40-30 and that's seen as normal. I don't like that in league. I prefer a defensive game where it really, reall means something to get across the line. The Super League is just too expansive, much like Twenty20 is for cricket. People want to see young men who care more about what their hair looks like and how much money they are making than they do about their team most likely, score 4 tries a game. I want to see contests. Seeing 50+ scores seemingly every round is hardly a contest.

Depends what team you watch really. But as I said in an earlier post, defence is a huge part of some teams, in particular the Leeds Rhinos. They have had only 2 tries conceded in 4 games. They're top of the Engage Super League. I think that proves defence has to be a huge part of your game plan. The competition is tougher than ever, and rarely you'll see 50 points being scored in a game.

Also, the fact that the money is drawing so many home-grown Australian footballers away from the NRL, infuriates me as well. The NRL salary cap is miniscule compared to the Super League one, and the offer of millions of dollars is too hard for the NRL footballers to resist. Nothing can prevent this, or stop it, but it would be good if the flow of quality Australian (and Kiwi) players to a so-called 'European' league would cease. The chances of that happening are as good as Leeds being beaten by Castleford...oh wait...;)...I'll change that to 'As good as the so-called best team in the world resorting to biting in a Club Challenge match...oh wait, again...

Aw bless, you're one of those people who think they know a lot about the Engage Super League don't you? Leeds lost to Castleford. Want me to go through the amount of first team players Leeds had out? It's no excuse, I agree. But Castleford were the better team on the night. They deserved the win. However, tell me how many other games Leeds has lost this season? How many? Yeah 0. They're top of the table, and have the best attack and defence in the league.

The World Club Challenge was an incredibly tough match because of the conditions, and could have gone either way. I just don't think you like the fact the English team, again, beat the Australian team. And seeings as you're taking digs; did you know a Melbourne fan had to resort to using a laser light to try and distract Kevin Sinfield when taking a shot at goal?

I'm not saying that all NRL teams have players from around their area, but at least the vast majority (barring the Bulldogs) of teams have Australian players in them, and I'm especially proud of the Aboriginal contingent in the NRL. These Aboriginal guys are great role models for young kids, and it's really great to see racism disappear from sport in this case.

I aren't going to go through every SL team, because I don't care about them all. But some teams do think having many Australian players helps. It's obviously incorrect, when those are the teams floating at the bottom of the table.

But to me, the NRL is consistently more competitive than the Super League is. It embodies a more "old school" defensive style of league which offers more interesting contests. You're not seeing sides gaining 70 metres each set, and scoring a try every 5 minutes.

Stop trying to tal about something, you know nothing about. Name me the last time these things happened? I'm willing to bet you rarely watch the Super League and are just trying to throw this at people. Look at the St Helens V Leeds Rhinos game played just last night, so you can see just how wrong you actually are. Oh, and final score was 10-14. Where 3 tries were scored all night.

Depends what team you watch really. But as I said in an earlier post, defence is a huge part of some teams, in particular the Leeds Rhinos. They have had only 2 tries conceded in 4 games. They're top of the Engage Super League. I think that proves defence has to be a huge part of your game plan. The competition is tougher than ever, and rarely you'll see 50 points being scored in a game.

Aw bless, you're one of those people who think they know a lot about the Engage Super League don't you? Leeds lost to Castleford. Want me to go through the amount of first team players Leeds had out? It's no excuse, I agree. But Castleford were the better team on the night. They deserved the win. However, tell me how many other games Leeds has lost this season? How many? Yeah 0. They're top of the table, and have the best attack and defence in the league.

The World Club Challenge was an incredibly tough match because of the conditions, and could have gone either way. I just don't think you like the fact the English team, again, beat the Australian team. And seeings as you're taking digs; did you know a Melbourne fan had to resort to using a laser light to try and distract Kevin Sinfield when taking a shot at goal?

I aren't going to go through every SL team, because I don't care about them all. But some teams do think having many Australian players helps. It's obviously incorrect, when those are the teams floating at the bottom of the table.

Stop trying to tal about something, you know nothing about. Name me the last time these things happened? I'm willing to bet you rarely watch the Super League and are just trying to throw this at people. Look at the St Helens V Leeds Rhinos game played just last night, so you can see just how wrong you actually are. Oh, and final score was 10-14. Where 3 tries were scored all night.

I am an Australian and i am a big supporter of the NRL, i follow the Sydney Roosters who tonight won against the Melbourne Storm in a tough 10-6 victory. Now, i also watch the English super League and i got to say, while the super league has gotten better the last few years, NRL is ahead by miles. The intensity is much higher and the quality is much better. The only Reason the super league is "good" is because they buy all the good talent off the NRL.

Now you might say, how come the England teams always beat the NRL teams in the world club challenge, well i can give u a few reasons. one reason is, its always played in England, And aussies dont like playing up there, there not used to the conditions. second, The super league has already started when the world club challenge is held, so super league teams are already playing full matches and are prepared, while NRL teams are just starting to play trials. Thirdly, NRL teams dont take the world club challenge seriously most of the time, they see it as another trial game. Why cant the super league champs come to Australia to play a game? I guarentee it would be a different story and 10/10 times NRL teams would win. You got everything in favour of the super league teams, of course the super league teams are going to win. See the Roosters in 2003? They smashed st helens 38-0, thats because the roosters took it seriously, these days they dont. Most Nrl teams when they go to england rest a few good players anyway, so its not really a game were u can judge who is better.

If a super league team can come to Australia and beat The best NRL team, then its a different story or even at a neutral venue, but untill then, Super League is just second grade to the NRL and thats the way its going to stay.

GO THE ROOSTERS!!!

I am an Australian and i am a big supporter of the NRL, i follow the Sydney Roosters who tonight won against the Melbourne Storm in a tough 10-6 victory. Now, i also watch the English super League and i got to say, while the super league has gotten better the last few years, NRL is ahead by miles. The intensity is much higher and the quality is much better. The only Reason the super league is "good" is because they buy all the good talent off the NRL.

I am hugely against this statement, because it isn't true. Many teams in Super League; Hull FC and Leeds Rhinos in particular, put a hell of a lot of effort into fielding home grown players. Both teams suffered an injury crisis early on in the season, but due to the skill Leeds in particular have had coming through their academy they haven't needed to worry, and are clear at the top of the league.

Leeds Rhinos: Webb, Hall, Ellis, Senior, Donald, McGuire, Burrow, Leuluai, Diskin, Peacock, Jones-Buchanan, Lauitiiti, Sinfield, Bailey, Scruton, Burgess, Worrall

An example; This is the team Leeds Rhinos fielded in the recent win over St Helens. I've bolded the players that have come through the system at the least in England, however the huge majority is Leeds academy. We have one Australian; Scott Donald.

The Leeds academy, have been involved in Grand Finals for the last 2 years, and are consistently one of the best teams. The academy league is very tough, and is full of English players waiting for the chance at debut at their respective clubs. Showing no, SL isn't good because of the NRL players.

Now you might say, how come the England teams always beat the NRL teams in the world club challenge, well i can give u a few reasons. one reason is, its always played in England, And aussies dont like playing up there, there not used to the conditions. second, The super league has already started when the world club challenge is held, so super league teams are already playing full matches and are prepared, while NRL teams are just starting to play trials. Thirdly, NRL teams dont take the world club challenge seriously most of the time, they see it as another trial game. Why cant the super league champs come to Australia to play a game? I guarentee it would be a different story and 10/10 times NRL teams would win. You got everything in favour of the super league teams, of course the super league teams are going to win. See the Roosters in 2003? They smashed st helens 38-0, thats because the roosters took it seriously, these days they dont. Most Nrl teams when they go to england rest a few good players anyway, so its not really a game were u can judge who is better.

I agree with you. The English team do have advantages here. Therefore not making it something we can completely rely on. They should alternate it each year. But at the same time, you cannot take away from how well the SL players play, just because they're playing in England. And one thing that always annoys me when this statement is used, is that the Australian fans always go so "We're the best" when they beat GB in Tri-Nations. However the international games are usually played in Australia/Nw Zealand, so if English players can't use the World Club Challenge as proof they're better, Australia and New Zealand cannot use international games as proof.

If the rumours that Barrett is out tomorrow are true, I can only sense that Leeds will run over us. But, if he plays, we may have a chance of keeping it tight.

Please Noble, don't play Mathers at 6. At least give Sam Tomkins a go.

IIRC, only 1 British team has ever gone to Australia for the WCC and won, Wigan back in 94. ^^

If the rumours that Barrett is out tomorrow are true, I can only sense that Leeds will run over us. But, if he plays, we may have a chance of keeping it tight.

Please Noble, don't play Mathers at 6. At least give Sam Tomkins a go.

IIRC, only 1 British team has ever gone to Australia for the WCC and won, Wigan back in 94. ^^

Wait, Barrett is out? I love you for bringing me that oh so great news. Leeds will win it though. Even a non-Leeds fan can admit they've been the dominant side this season. Are you going to the game?
Mathers should be at full back, he is a great full back and I was sad to lose him. However Brent Webb is definately a great replacement. Excited about seeing Mathers play again. But yeah with Barrett out, that leaves Wigan a little worse for wear.

I'd go if I had any money for ticket and train from Chesterfield.

Barrett missed last week against Wakefield, so Mathers played 6, with Richards at Full Back. Richards has probably been our form player, along with Carmont, and Hock & Prescott when they were fit.

The main problem is, unlike Wigan, Leeds have too many playmakers to keep quiet. Without Barrett, I fear for the worst. Unless this is Nobby's idea of giving us all pre-match heart attacks.

I'd go if I had any money for ticket and train from Chesterfield.

Barrett missed last week against Wakefield, so Mathers played 6, with Richards at Full Back. Richards has probably been our form player, along with Carmont, and Hock & Prescott when they were fit.

The main problem is, unlike Wigan, Leeds have too many playmakers to keep quiet. Without Barrett, I fear for the worst. Unless this is Nobby's idea of giving us all pre-match heart attacks.

Lol, Tony Smith used to do that to us a few times. Then he'd be like ah no it's fine, he's playing. I'm sure the coaches just hate us.

Ah right, I didn't see the Wakefield game, what was the score? I forgot about Richards, but yeah he is a good player, so Wigan have fill back covered pretty well. But yeah, I just can't see Mathers playing as a back. Him and Mcguire are completely different players, so I don't see how it'd work out personally.

Yeah that is a great thing about Leeds; you don't know which player to watch out for, because all of them can pull something special at different times. Burrow wasn't his best at the beginning of the season but I definately have a feeling, with how he's played the last few weeks, that he's going to be something great the rest of the season.

8-4 I think, was affected badly by the weather, and the merry whistleblower, he awarded 32 penalties, which is just ridiculous.

If there's no Barrett, Wigan's best chance is

Mathers
Calderwood
Goulding
Carmont
Richards
S. Tomkins
Leuluai
Fielden
McIlorum
Coley
Hansen
Bailey
O'Loughlin

Higham
Paleaasina
J. Tomkins
O'Carroll

If Barrett is fit, substitute him for Sam Tomkins.

8-4 I think, was affected badly by the weather, and the merry whistleblower, he awarded 32 penalties, which is just ridiculous.

If there's no Barrett, Wigan's best chance is

Mathers
Calderwood
Goulding
Carmont
Richards
S. Tomkins
Leuluai
Fielden
McIlorum
Coley
Hansen
Bailey
O'Loughlin

Higham
Paleaasina
J. Tomkins
O'Carroll

If Barrett is fit, substitute him for Sam Tomkins.

32 penalties? Are you being serious? That's completely stupid. It's ruining the game this, the penalty count just gets hugher and higher. Sometimes people now rely on penalties to get points on the board. I mean, the Leeds V Bradford game, there only 2 points came off penalties. And St Helens went ages without actually scoring in the game against Leeds, they just relied on the 2 points.
It's stupid. The referees need to get together and sort this out. As well as the players and coaches. Similarly, the referees need to realise what constitutes a penalty and what doesn't, because often one referee will give it where another won't. The rules are awfully sketchy, allowing for this high penalty count.

The biggest problem tends to be either refs who are inconsistent and niggly, penalising at the wrong times, or those like Ganson who want to be the centre of attention constantly.

Yes, Ganson does hate us, he's openly admitted to being a Stains fan too.

Ganson as a Saints fan doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Honestly, he's made it obvious anyway. Don't hate the guy too much. Have to respect him and Klein after Millenium Magic last year :p Haha still love that moment.

Yeah, and referees don't give penalties away at the right time but the realise later on, therefore they overcompensate by giving away loads of extra penalties to that team. Doing this then makes them lose what the opposing team is doing, and when they should get penalties, so the circle continues. I'm going to presume that's what happened at Wigan V Wakefield?

On a sidenote, it's nice to have another big RL fan to talk to.

Some refs have the tendency to give 1 side lots of penalties early on, then when the game is basically over, he gives a few to the other team to prevent an obvious bias from a statistical POV.

However, at least our stadium isn't a car park for a cricket ground. ;)

Some refs have the tendency to give 1 side lots of penalties early on, then when the game is basically over, he gives a few to the other team to prevent an obvious bias from a statistical POV.

Yeah that's exactly what they do, and it's so stupid. Do they think we didn't see what they did anyway? And it makes it worse because coach's are forced to not be able to speak ill of the referees so they do practically get away with murder. You have many referees who say they'd publicly explain their decisions. yet how many do? :rolleyes:

However, at least our stadium isn't a car park for a cricket ground. ;)

And at least our team isn't better equipped to work in a car park than on a rugby pitch ;)

At least ours doesnt back onto some poor woman's back garden, and get all the balls stuck on the roof.

Oh, and chavs tend to come onto the Western terrace at your place to rile up a bit of bother.

At least ours doesnt back onto some poor woman's back garden, and get all the balls stuck on the roof.

Meh at least it's not St Helens which is built next to a hole in the ground, or Bradford which is a hols in the ground. St Helens is my worst stadium, I just hate everything about it. The atmosphere is rubbish as well. The team isn't entertaining, and I just usually hate going.

Oh, and chavs tend to come onto the Western terrace at your place to rile up a bit of bother.

Gosh I hate chavs. I know, I have a Southstand Season ticket for many reasons, that being one of them. West Terrace is the only stand I don't like. Carnedgie is my favourite for what it looks like, it's truley amazing. And the view from the top is great. The only problem is I assume it'd be hard to see tries scored at that end. South is definately the best for atmosphere.

In all honestly, I like being in Wigan. I love the Stadium, and the atmosphere is fun. And you're guaranteed to have a great game. I got lost in Wigan before after the Leeds game last year. Was hilarious.

Oh, and hun, someone may class your posts as borderline spam, so maybe you should write a little more, just so they don't infract you, lol.

Unfortunately, i've never been a man of many words.

Im ok in Wigan now, despite only having lived there as a baby, but my dad's from there originally, so i've spent time at the grandparents, and know my way from the stadium into Wigan itself for some reason.

The KC is a good stadium, they went and built it in a park, the only problem is the blinkered stewards, and it costs more for drinks in the away stand than the others. There's a good kebab place across the road at least.

www.rlfans.com is a place you might wanna see, some good banter.

Unfortunately, i've never been a man of many words.

Im ok in Wigan now, despite only having lived there as a baby, but my dad's from there originally, so i've spent time at the grandparents, and know my way from the stadium into Wigan itself for some reason.

Haha. I go by the coach the Rhinos Supports Club organises, and I had no idea where they were picking us up, so I was running around basically completely hyper shouting haha. Was quite fun actually.
All my family are Leeds fans so it just generally has passed down. When it comes to soccer everyone supports different teams in different leagues, but in RL we all support the Rhinos.

The KC is a good stadium, they went and built it in a park, the only problem is the blinkered stewards, and it costs more for drinks in the away stand than the others. There's a good kebab place across the road at least.

I like the KC as a stadium, but Hull smells of fish lol. But generally the KC is a great day out. I love it at Warrington as well. I prefer RL grounds to football and RL grounds. First time I went there I was like, wow.
If I can save anyone from this I'll be happy...never go to Hull KR. Seriously, it's the worst ground in SL. And Leeds happened to be playing them in the height of all the flooding last year. Was soaked.

www.rlfans.com is a place you might wanna see, some good banter.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out :)

Got to say that I really enjoyed last saturday.:icon_smile:

We should beat Catalans tonight, even without Barrett. He definately won't play against Pia next week, which leaves him fresh for Bradistan in 2 weeks.

Some tough games coming up, Bradford, Warrington, St Helens, then Challenge Cup again, realistically, we can win them all though.

Got to say that I really enjoyed last saturday.:icon_smile:

You played well, well done.

We should beat Catalans tonight, even without Barrett. He definately won't play against Pia next week, which leaves him fresh for Bradistan in 2 weeks.

Lmao. Yeah that should definately be a good game. Got to say, I'm hoping to draw Wigan in the cup. Just feel like getting our own back really :)

Some tough games coming up, Bradford, Warrington, St Helens, then Challenge Cup again, realistically, we can win them all though.

Apart from Leeds, Wigan are the other form side out there, and honestly, Bradford and Warrington shouldn't be anything too tough. And St Helens are completely all over the place. Never known a side with such mixed results and forms this year. Get them on form, it'll be a tough one. If not, walk your way to a few straight wins.

The Challenge cup ties have been drawn, and they show some interesting games.

Hull KR v Huddersfield Giants

This is one of the tuoghest to call. Will definately be a good game. I'd like to see Hull KR progress in this one.

Barrow Raiders v Wakefield Wildcats

Wakefield should have an easy run in with Barrow. However, you should never underestimate a side, as that has been shown to be a downfall in recent years.

Dewsbury Rams v Oldham

This tie shows there will be at least one non-SL team progressing to the next round. I think this is definately a good thing, and shows the strength of the competition.

Bradford Bulls v Catalans Dragons

Catalan have a tough challenge here; beating the Bulls on home turf is a tough thing to do. However Bulls aren't their best this season, so who knows? Catalan were in the final last year, maybe we'll see a repeat this year.

Wigan Warriors v Whitehaven

The easiest to call in my opinion. Wigan at home is probably the toughest SL tie, as well as Leeds at home. They shouldn't underestimate Whitehaven as I said before, but I see no way they will get past the Warriors here.

Widnes Vikings v Hull FC

Widnes are a good side, and a favourite for entry into SL in the coming year. Hull FC have had a lot of bad luck this season, maybe this is the way to turn it around.

Harlequins v Leeds Rhinos

A tough tie for the Rhinos. Harlequins is always a tough game, especially in London. However Leeds are the form side of the year so far, so they should be able to edge past the Quins, even on home turf. The last time Leeds were there they won by a great amount. However times change, and Quins have started the season well. This game will be played just weeks before they play each other, again at the Stoop, in SL. So whichever team wins on this day better watch out in those coming weeks. That being said, I think Leeds will walk away with the win, their team is just too good this season.

St Helens v Warrington Wolves

How Warrington aren't higher up in the table I don't know. They host some of the best players in the world. They're missing something which when they find out what it is will make them a great side. The talent on their team is great, I aren't too sure about their coach. St Helens, when on form, are a phenomenal side. However their form this season has being slightly erratic, so it'll come down to how well they play. Should be the best game of the round, however I hope Warrington walk away with this one.

untitled-1.jpg

Win - 2 Points
Draw - 1 point
Loss - 0 points

This is the Engage Super League Table after 13 rounds of regular play. The top position in the table is taken by the Leeds Rhinos, who are 5 points clear of the next team; who are a shocking success this season.

Les Catalan Dragons are a French team who only joined the Super League very recently. Their first season in Super League saw them finishing bottom of the table, however they were under a 3 year period where they couldn't get relegated. They showed this was a good thing, next year making their way to one of the biggest stages of them all; the Challenge Cup Final.

The most interesting part of this table is to note who will make it in the play off positions. The Top 6 all battle it out at the end of the season, however this year points difference seems to be making a big difference, as currently their are 4 teams on equal points in the middle, as well as tiny differences with the teams around them.

Leeds Rhinos are clearly the best team both attacking and defensively and this is shown by their huge points difference compared to any other team. they have almost double points difference to their closest rivals, St Helens. Saints have been a mixed bag this season, having some great games but then losing form. One of their biggest problems is not being able to play for the full 80 minutes, something that is crucial in a competetion which is so close this year.

The top and bottom spots are taken by a few points differences. Castleford are at the bottom, but most RL fans can conclude this is due to the injury crisis which has struck them worse than any other club. At one point they only had the bare minimums; 17 fit players, and had injured players saying they were willing to play. Yet, surprisingly their 2 wins come from none other than the Leeds Rhinos and St Helens. Castleford were the team to beat Leeds unbeaten streak, which some people didn't think would happen any time soon. With no relegation this season, hopefully Castleford can take that worry out of their minds and get back on track, continuing the performances they had against Leeds and Saints.

Warrington are a very underrated team, and should really be in the Top 3. They have world class players and a world Class coach, as well as having the second best crowd in Super League. These last few seasons it's seemed their is something missing, just a small thing from their side. However you can tell after watching their performances this year that they have worked on that, and should be a tough team to beat come play off time.

At the moment, the team to beat are the Rhinos, and so far only 2 teams have managed that. Everyone is looking at this team and knowing, to be the best you have to beat the best. The Rhinos have to look out in all directions for any sign of problem, yet so far they have done great. They have 6 first choice players out injured, however they have pulled strong, calling on their top class youth program. They recently gave a debut to Kallum Watkins, a 17 year old star. He scored a great try in the Millenium Magic win, and played a vital part.

The title race is still on, and anyone can win it, but it's the Play off positions that seem more competitive this season.

Wow I didn't expect a Rugby League thread in a wrestling forum especially when the majority of the forumers are from America lol.

Anyway, up the Sydney Roosters!

Lol, well I'm from England and basically update this thread after things happen. It's usually from the Engage Super League, as I go to all the Rhinos games, and watch most other games. I watch Australian Rugby League as well, the NRL as a brilliant league, and always has great internationals with Great Britain.

You support Sydney? That's cool, they're a good team. I'm a Manly fan myself though.

Lol, well I'm from England and basically update this thread after things happen. It's usually from the Engage Super League, as I go to all the Rhinos games, and watch most other games. I watch Australian Rugby League as well, the NRL as a brilliant league, and always has great internationals with Great Britain.

You support Sydney? That's cool, they're a good team. I'm a Manly fan myself though.

Yeah Australia and England tend to have good match ups. Facing the Kiwis is always one sided.

I like Wigan in the ESL. Don't follow it that much though :p

Does anyone know why my post got deleted.. the one that HBK-A quoted?

Yeah Australia and England tend to have good match ups. Facing the Kiwis is always one sided.

I'm definately not a big fan of the Kiwis, I don't enjoy games with them. with Australia you can tell it's complete quality Rugby League, and the games are always interesting. Great Britain beat New Zealand 3 times at the end of last season and none of those games ever seemed amazing, and the British skill was definately a lot better.

I like Wigan in the ESL. Don't follow it that much though :p

You had to choose one of the 3 teams I hate the most don't you? Tut tut. Wigan are a good team though yeah, surprised they're not further up the table actually, they have an amazing coach and some really good players. In a few years they along with Rhinos will be back on top, as their youth development schemes are better than any other teams.

Does anyone know why my post got deleted.. the one that HBK-A quoted?

It didn't have that much in it, and usually you have to give reasons. A simple thing to do would be for example, explain why you follow Sydney, and again here, why you follow Wigan Warriors, instead of just stating that you do. Otherwise you'll get infractions for spamming and soon be banned.

It didn't have that much in it, and usually you have to give reasons. A simple thing to do would be for example, explain why you follow Sydney, and again here, why you follow Wigan Warriors, instead of just stating that you do. Otherwise you'll get infractions for spamming and soon be banned.

Fair enough I suppose.

I support the Sydney Roosters because back in the day of the North Sydney Bears, Easts were my second favorite team because of Brad Fittler - A Rugby League great, he was my idol. Once the Bears merged with the Sea Eagles I stopped supporting them. The Bears were a strong team and were an unbeatable force, I truly admired their team and how they played as a team.

With Wigan, well. I just like the name of the Wigan Warriors :p BUT there's one team I've grown to liken is the Warrington Wolves. Adrian Morley is a beast! Do you like the Wolves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back