Rear Naked Bloke
Round 1, Mexico:
The Dudley Boys - Bubba Ray & D-Von
vs.
The Midnight Express - Bobby Eaton & Dennis Condrey

No spam and no flaming.​

Mexico rules are identical to WWE rules except:
- Count-outs go up to twenty, not ten
- Piledrivers are illegal (I shit you not)
- Removing your opponent's mask (if he wears one) results in a DQ
- Every match is two out of three falls

Incredibly, these two heavy-hitters are facing each other in the first round. Somebody's gotta go home.

I gotta go with the Midnight Express here. I don't know much about "old school" tag teams, but I have seen a few matches by the Midnight Express, and I've been very impressed. They have great fundamentals and work together as a unit very well. They could beat anyone, in my opinon.

As for team 3D, they are incredibly overrated. They may has over 20 tag team title reigns, but that happens when you are together since the 1950s. They are rather slow and not exceptionally strong. If this was some sort of gimmick match I might give this to them, but since it's not, the Midnight Express get my vote.

I'm going team 3D here. Team 3D is one of my favorite tag teams, and I really never watched a match of the Midnight Express. But Team 3D has had 30 titles, well the Midnight Express I believed didnt have quite that much. Team 3D is one of the top teams in this decade if not the number 1 team and I give them the nod here in a close matchup

I'm going team 3D here.

Bad choice.

Team 3D is one of my favorite tag teams,

Meh, I suppose I can't argue this. But I can say that you don't have great taste.

and I really never watched a match of the Midnight Express.

Then you really shouldn't be voting here.

But Team 3D has had 30 titles,

More like 22.

well the Midnight Express I believed didnt have quite that much.

No, they didn't, but titles didn't change hands as frequently in the 80s, and we aren't simply voting on who wins the most titles. That wouldn't be very fun.

Team 3D is one of the top teams in this decade if not the number 1 team

I actually prefer both the Hardyz and E&C

and I give them the nod here in a close matchup

The Midnight Express, right?

The Midnight Express lasted a long old time, and they did win a fair bit, but their national successes came in different guises with different people. What I mean is that Eaton and Condrey didn't win many titles themselves, and their feud with the Rock and Roll express was their only significant national level feud.

The Dudleys are overrated and were a bit right place at the right time, still are really, but they have beatenmost if not all of the major tag teams of their era, and they have stayed together through three companies. This shouldn't be the walkover that it inevitably will be, but I think that the Dudleys shoould win.

Bobby Eaton, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated wrestlers of all time, and one of the best tag team wrestlers in the history of the business. However, while his partner, Dennis Condrey, wasn't bad by any means, I still look at the Midnight Express as a one man team. So, why would I vote for them over the greatest heel tag team in the history of professional wrestling? I wouldn't, so I'm not.

I'll further elaborate on the Dudleys when they're against tougher competition, but for now... I'll just simply stay they were truly a tag team, one of the greatest ever in fact, while the Midnight Express has one FANTASTIC wrestler, a mediocre one, and a very good manager. That just cannot compete against a team like the Dudley Boys.

I'm going with the Dudleys. They are one of the best tag teams in history as well as one of the best heel teams. I don't know any kind of tag team they haven't faced from the technical to the quick. The Midnight Express was good but I just think the Dudleys will have more in the tank to beat them in the decisive 3rd fall.

The Dudley's personify Tag Team Wrestling in any era. They've been together since the 90s in ECW and they've always been on the top of the Tag Team ladder in whatever promotion they've been in.

Midnight Express while on of the better teams of their time they just don't match up with 3D. This will be a close match but i see Bubba Ray & D-Von getting the win

Bubba and Devon have been a top tag team for years, and will be considered an all time great, while the Midnight Express just doesnt ring a bell for all people. Plus Team 3D have been great for years, and are continuing to dominate the tag team division

D-VON! GET THE TABLES!

Yep, that is what would happen, right through the Spanish announce table... or would it be through the English announce table, as it is in Mexico?

Yep, Midnight Express got through as a team that had a break out star, but I wouldn't even consider them to be like The Rockers, as both of the Rockers were good.||The Dudleys however are two barrels on a shotgun, both legitimate threats to beat you down, which they practiced on with The Crackheadz and Edge and Christian.

:disappointed:

Really people? You're voting for the Dudleys over the Midnight Express? For shame.

The Dudleys have to be the most overrated tag team in the history of wrestling. They're incapable of having a good match that doesn't involve weapons. "But xfear, they've won 9000 tag titles!" Hmm, that might impress me if even half of their reigns meant a fucking thing.

There's no way I'm putting the Dudleys over the Midnight Express. No way.

I am fine with you voting for Midnight Express but can you explain to me why you like them so much?

I have never really seen Midnight Express but I have watched the Dudleys for several years and I love their matches. Yes I know they are much better with weapons but they are still a great tag team and one of the best in this decade.

The 2/3 falls clinches this for the Express. They are perhaps the best heel team ever when Cornette is in their corner. Their feud with the Rock N Roll Express revolutionized tag team wrestling so if nothing else they win for their contributions to wrestling. Anyway, I could see this going to the third fall, but the Midnights are trickier than any other team on the planet when they have to be. If you give them an extra fall to work with, the 3D won't matter. It'll go three falls, but there's no way the Dudleys take two out of three here.

The 2/3 falls clinches this for the Express. They are perhaps the best heel team ever when Cornette is in their corner. Their feud with the Rock N Roll Express revolutionized tag team wrestling so if nothing else they win for their contributions to wrestling. Anyway, I could see this going to the third fall, but the Midnights are trickier than any other team on the planet when they have to be. If you give them an extra fall to work with, the 3D won't matter. It'll go three falls, but there's no way the Dudleys take two out of three here.

Well I was about to respond to Baller, but you've pretty much given him a good enough reason as to why the Express should go over the Dudleys here. The Dudleys would be absolutely spent by the time the second fall came around.

I'm sorry, but I'll take what the Midnight Express contributed to tag team wrestling (which is to say they revolutionized it), over what the Dudley's have, which is what again? Oh yes, powerbombing senior citizens and women through tables and screaming catch phrases. Oh, and have meaningless title reigns.

I love the Midnight Express. I've been watching some of there matches recently and they have really grown on me (though I prefer my Express with Beautiful Bobby and Sweet Stan). Either way I think ME gets the first fall and then the Dudleys get hot and get the 2nd fall and dominate most of the 3rd, until that little devious manager of the Express gets involved. Maybe a racket shot to the back of a Dudley or a distraction that allows an Express member to get the quick pinfall. Express FTW.

I just want to clarify which ever gets the most votes moves on right?

Anyway, I think the Dudleys are going to win in 3 falls, as they would dominate the first fall and get off to a fast start with Devon dominating, but get rolled up in 2nd fall. In the last fall I see all 4 men in the league with one member of the ME thrown out of the ring leading to the 3D, and the match

This is the kind of draw I was afraid of. Another smark favorite going against a truly superior tag team in the Midnight Express. NO matter what entity of the ME faces the Dudleys, it shouldn't even be close. The Dudleys only specialize in using tables and the like, and aren't sound technically at ALL.

And of course, with Jim Cornette in their corner, it's always a wild card no matter WHO they face. Mind you, among the victims of the ME include the Road Warriors, Rock N Roll Express, The Fantastics, The British Bulldogs, and others. Those are all superior tag teams to the Dudleys, and they've won. NO team is as decorated during their time as the ME was, so this shouldn't be close. Midnight Express all the way.

Quick Question: How in thy HELL can you possibly think that in a match with rules pretty much identical to a standard WWE match, two-out-of-three falls for that matter, can you expect The Dudleys to beat The Midnight Express. I mean, they most likely would lose in a gimick match, nevertheless this match. Although I prefer Sweet Stan and Beautiful Bobby, any version of The Express is gonna beat the Dudleys. Plus The Express has contributed way more to the business over time. Plus I've met Eaton and he is one great guy, even though that doesn't really matter. Oh, and, uh, Mr. Baller, if you don't know and haven't The Midnight Express, why even bother voting, especially since your biased torwards The Dudley Boys in the first place? That is all.

I have to go with the Dudleys. They are without a doubt, one of the greatest teams in wrestling history, and there's no way they go out this early to a team like Midnight Express. I'm sure it'll be a good match, but I've got to go with the team that has held 22 titles.

Really people? You're voting for the Dudleys over the Midnight Express?

Yeppers.

The Dudleys have to be the most overrated tag team in the history of wrestling.

Not even close, man. That title belongs to the Road Warriors...

They're incapable of having a good match that doesn't involve weapons. "But xfear, they've won 9000 tag titles!" Hmm, that might impress me if even half of their reigns meant a fucking thing.

X, they can have decent matches without the weapons. Not great, I admit, but decent enough.

However, you underestimate just how tremendous their matches involving weapons are, and you COMPLETELY ignore their promos, creativity and charisma. No one, and I mean NO ONE, in the past 20 years has gotten heat like the Dudleys got in ECW. No one. And that was in the nineties. It's not easy to be truly hated in the business by the fans today or back then, but the Dudleys can make any crowd want to see them get their head knocked off whenever they feel like it. They're simply the greatest heel tag team of all time.

Well I was about to respond to Baller, but you've pretty much given him a good enough reason as to why the Express should go over the Dudleys here. The Dudleys would be absolutely spent by the time the second fall came around.

I highly disagree. The Dudleys have had some long, brutal matches in their day. There's nothing the Midnight Express could do to wear them out. Nothing.

I'm sorry, but I'll take what the Midnight Express contributed to tag team wrestling (which is to say they revolutionized it), over what the Dudley's have, which is what again? Oh yes, powerbombing senior citizens and women through tables and screaming catch phrases. Oh, and winning meaningless tag belts.

How did they revolution it, X? Like I told you yesterday, you're confusing them with The Freebirds and Rock 'N Roll Express.

I love Bobby Eaton and Jim Cornette. One is perhaps the greatest tag wrestler of all time, while the other is one of the funniest people in the history of pro wrestling, but that is not enough to defeat a team like the Dudleys, who have stole the show at 2 Wrestlemanias, won countless titles in BOTH ECW and WWE (and even TNA), and has had some of the most brutal matches in the history of tag team wrestling.

And of course, with Jim Cornette in their corner, it's always a wild card no matter WHO they face.

Who's to say the Dudleys won't have Gertner and Sign Guy or shit, even Big Dick Dudley, in their corner? They would easily take care of Cornette.

I am pleasently surprised with the # of vote for the Midnight express. I was one of them. I have never been on the team 3d bandwagon, but you can't deny what they've accomplished. However I feel like this region benfits the express in this match. 2 out of three falls. I think Bobby Eaton and Dennis have the stagima advantage and once they worked over fat Bubba they turn it into a two on one advantage.

X, they can have decent matches without the weapons. Not great, I admit, but decent enough.

Not really. Find me a good Dudley match that doesn't involve weapons or a table in some way. There aren't many.

However, you underestimate just how tremendous their matches involving weapons are, and you COMPLETELY ignore their promos, creativity and charisma. No one, and I mean NO ONE, in the past 20 years has gotten heat like the Dudleys got in ECW. No one. And that was in the nineties. It's not easy to be truly hated in the business by the fans today or back then, but the Dudleys can make any crowd want to see them get their head knocked off whenever they feel like it. They're simply the greatest heel tag team of all time.

Oh come on JMT, you know I'm a damn big ECW fan, but getting a few hundred people to boo the shit out of you isn't very difficult, especially with a crowd as enthusiastic as the ECW crowds were. They cheered/booed EVERYTHING.

I highly disagree. The Dudleys have had some long, brutal matches in their day. There's nothing the Midnight Express could do to wear them out. Nothing.

Yes there is: actually wrestle them. It's easy to walk around hitting each other with weapons or throwing them through tables. Actually having to wrestle with a talented team like the Midnight Express would be hell on them. Ever seen a 20 minute match by the Dudleys in which weapons weren't use? I'd venture to say there aren't many of them, if any at that.

How did they revolution it, X? Like I told you yesterday, you're confusing them with The Freebirds and Rock 'N Roll Express.

Midnight Express (along with the Freebirds) revolutionized the concept of heel tag team wrestling. They were doing things that, though look tame now, was totally new territory in their days. Stuff like the Midnight Express tar and feathering Magnum TA, stuff like Michael Hayes beating the hell out of Kerry Von Erich in a Santa Claus costume.

I love Bobby Eaton and Jim Cornette. One is perhaps the greatest tag wrestler of all time, while the other is one of the funniest people in the history of pro wrestling, but that is not enough to defeat a team like the Dudleys, who have stole the show at 2 Wrestlemanias, won countless titles in BOTH ECW and WWE (and even TNA), and has had some of the most brutal matches in the history of tag team wrestling.

This isn't a TLC match. If it were, I'd give the nod to the Dudleys. Personally, I find the Dudleys to be overrated though. They haven't been good in about a decade.

Who's to say the Dudleys won't have Gertner and Sign Guy or shit, even Big Dick Dudley, in their corner? They would easily take care of Cornette.

Cornette > Those three knuckleheads. :p

Not really. Find me a good Dudley match that doesn't involve weapons or a table in some way. There aren't many.

Okay, here:

And that's just one. I can find plenty of others that are from decent to very good. The fact is... Dudleys had PLENTY of matches in WWE that were good that didn't involve weapons. And they've also have had some good ones in TNA as well.

Oh come on JMT, you know I'm a damn big ECW fan, but getting a few hundred people to boo the shit out of you isn't very difficult, especially with a crowd as enthusiastic as the ECW crowds were. They cheered/booed EVERYTHING.

Not exactly. There were plenty of people who weren't able to get over in ECW.

Also, are you saying the Dudleys didn't get heat in WWE? If so, then that's extremely false as well.

Yes there is: actually wrestle them. It's easy to walk around hitting each other with weapons or throwing them through tables. Actually having to wrestle with a talented team like the Midnight Express would be hell on them. Ever seen a 20 minute match by the Dudleys in which weapons weren't use? I'd venture to say there aren't many of them, if any at that.

Actually, the match I just posted was almost twenty minutes, and against two wrestlers who are superior than Eaton and Condrey. And I didn't see the Dudleys winded by the end of it, at all.

Midnight Express (along with the Freebirds) revolutionized the concept of heel tag team wrestling. They were doing things that, though look tame now, was totally new territory in their days. Stuff like the Midnight Express tar and feathering Magnum TA, stuff like Michael Hayes beating the hell out of Kerry Von Erich in a Santa Claus costume.

Memphis did that tar and feathering deal way before the Midnight Express did it, so that's a bad example. Besides, even if that were true the Midnight Express did something like that first, I don't see how doing something that gimmicky is "revolutionizing" the business.

The fact is man, The Midnight Express wouldn't have been shit if it weren't for Jim Cornette. Seriously, without Cornette, they're just another generic tag team, with nothing to offer except some good matches for the day. However, Cornette was able to get their heat and cut the promos for them, so they come off looking better than they actually were.

Bubba Ray and D-Von, on the other hand, only needed each other to accomplish what they accomplished.

This isn't a TLC match. If it were, I'd give the nod to the Dudleys. Personally, I find the Dudleys to be overrated though. They haven't been good in about a decade.

I highly disagree. I just don't see what either two could possibly do to defeat the Dudleys.

Some interesting arguments put forward on both sides by boys jmt and xfear. Unfortunately, the votes don't really reflect that.

The Midnight Express put a valiant fight against a nigh on insurmountable foe. Sixteen votes is respectable. Sadly for them, it's lights out.

Bubba Ray stutters on.

Well, I’m obviously going with where the Gold is. The Midnight Express were a good team, but in my opinion, they weren’t as good as the 22 Time Tag Team Champions. I’m not sure if it’s because if didn’t see this version of the Midnight Express with Dennis or not, but I sure did see a lot of the Dudleys and think they are the best of the best. I think the Dudleys are the Tag Team version of Chris Jericho (winning the Undisputed Titles) or Big Show (winning the Tag Titles anywhere they go).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back