RIP Big Van Vader

Glacier

Pre-Show Stalwart
Vader has passed away after a bout with pneumonia.

RIP to one of the best big men- no others could do the moonsault
off the top rope.

To be honest, when Vader announced via Twitter that he'd been told he only had 2 years to live, I thought it was some sort of stunt to draw crowds on some sort of retirement tour he was dreaming up. Vader is a wrestler and few are better at being bullshitters than wrestlers but, here we are a little more than 1.5 years later and Vader is indeed dead.

Vader was the last of the great superheavyweights when you get right down to it. Big Show could have been, and probably will be considered by some, but too much damage was done to him over the years in lousy angles, skits and storylines. Braun Strowman might be but it'll take time for that to happen. Yokozuna's entire gimmick revolved around him being a 600 pound member of the Anoa'i family pretending to be Japanese and was so damn heavy that his matches were almost always boring. Vader was freakishly strong and pretty damn athletic for a guy his size. From about '89 through maybe '95, Vader was pretty much THE most dominant 350+ pounder in wrestling.

So long Vader and thanks for the greatness. :wave:

Going to miss him remember when he first debuted in the AWA as the Baby Bull Leon White and when he first adopted the Vader persona.

Should have been inducted into WWE HOF many years ago, especially in the last few with his health issues known. Same thing has happened with guys like Ivan Koloff. Have a feeling one/either Demolition will pass before they could get the honours in person in the same vain. So many legends that have died young that they couldn't get them in person to thank the fans etc. it is sad when they have one that was still around and deserved but didn't get it.

Seemed to be on the mend with the WWE the last decade with cameo matches and him inducting Stan Hansen. But still something being held against him, possibly the ill will/politics that guys like HBK had against him in the past or possible issues toward Vince and management carried over from his problematic run cut short

He should get a ten bell salute and package on RAW as much as anybody but they probably won't give him that because of his problematic and untapped potential when he signed with the WWF which ended his run. Probably wouldn't have access to a lot of his money stuff in Japan but have all his WCW stuff. Also his crossover into mainstream with Boy Meets World/Baywatch etc.

Quite possibly the best worker big man. WCW used him correctly (until Hogan no sold his finishing move) as a powerful brute, and believable tough big man.
Shame WWE didn't use him to his full potential... but after that stint he was back in Japan winning world titles.

I remember hearing in late 2016 that he said he only had 2 years left... sadly that was true.
RIP big man

I was a WWF fan only when Vader was WCW champ. But I remember thinking "Now THAT is a guy who looks like a heavyweight pro wrestling champion!".

A few years ago--I don't remember when, but long after it was a legit possibility--I thought Kane should have had a long, dominant run as WWE champ. He was looking dominant and strong and I thought if someone tuned in for the first time and saw this guy, he would be very believable as the champion. Almost like the old video games where the opponents got tougher as you went along. Kane looked like a guy who would be at the end of that line of challengers. CM Punk? Not so much...

I've always said that while the title chase is fun for guys like Mysterio or Bryan, having them hold the title for any extended period of time seems silly to me. And I'm not talking about the old "How can a guy that little beat a guy that big?". I mean, within the realm of pro wrestling, it is still silly to try to sell that these guys are unbeatable in most cases. Rey or Bryan chasing the title, gaining momentum and reaching their goal--that can be done right and be effective. But, for me, I think they need to be defeated soon after. The top guy should be someone who actually looks like a tough guy to beat. Vader certainly seemed to make sense in that way.

Sad to hear, but even he and the doctors predicted it coming.

That said, he was a great super heavyweight. Another case of a guy who had a great look, but in WWF, at least, he was vastly undervalued. Seriously, they couldn't give him eve ONE run as WWE Champion? Nash got a whole year, yet there was no room for Vader in there? At least WCW did that.

When I think about pro wrestling, heavyweights, characters with charisma, a imposing look and sound and in-ring ability I can definitely think of Vader. Loved the mask and the whole persona. Well, at least he can be remembered well by people who would like to do that.

He wrestled with his eyeball popped out of socket and hanging on his jaw
once during a match with Stan Hansen.

He popped it back in and continued the match.

Also, may have saved the life of Sid Eudy- as Sid was stabbed in the femoral
artery by Arn Anderson during a dispute.

Leon happened to be just about the only person left in the bar, and as Sid was
bleeding profusely, he knew to plug the hole. He had very large fingers so he
was able to plug it enough to slow the bleeding until EMT's got there.

I still remember getting into trouble in the 5th grade for yelling out at the end of class "It's time! It's time! It's Vader time!" It was the first week of school, possibly only the 2nd or 3rd day and I was already being forced to call home. Thankfully it was my dad and not mom who I ended up talking to :lol:

RIP Vader!

It sucks that Big Van Vader never became WWE Champion. That would have topped his career. His resume is still impressive without the WWE Championship though. 3-Time IWGP Heavyweight Champion, 3-Time WCW World Champion, 2-Time AJPW Triple Crown Champion. A lot of wrestlers can only dream of winning one of those titles at least once in their careers. While I don't recall too much of Big Van Vader, I do remember watching some of his matches in WCW and WWE . He was as distinguishable as Sting. The mask and the colours he wore definitely made him stand out among the super heavyweights and his moves were destructive and agile. Rest in Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back